00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Up and Coming!

772 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Up and Coming! 2012-08-18 10:43:56

For the love of God, I will need lots of support and critics with a good EYE on art if I am going to be going into the world of Fine Arts. Digital Media to be precise :3 And I was wondering... could anyone give me any advice on HOW to improve on my art work, if there is any? (which I know there is, just... somehow) And please, be nice. No cursing or anything saying, "Oh, you're art f***ing sucks and you should just rot and die!" With that attitude, you might as well not of even looked on here... as this thread is only for artists and artists of ANY SORT ONLY!

NOTE I do not have anything uploaded up here just yet... just my profile picture that I just recently did and that's basically it. And also note I do mostly Anthropomorphic Fantasy Art. If you do not know what that is, Google will help ya :3

Up and Coming!

Response to Up and Coming! 2012-08-18 14:44:35

At 8/18/12 10:43 AM, IraGremka wrote: could anyone give me any advice on HOW to improve on my art work, if there is any?
why did you emphasize the HOW bit?

Your initial image brings me the word "clumsy" I hope this isn't your best work as it just isn't a very interesting piece, technically and aesthetically, the range of your colours can be attributed to this as you don't do very much with it, You don't use the colours to your advantage to implement a 3d deph to your image and it makes the work very dull.

The cross hatching is also a little excessive and you should ease off it, and try to use an alternate colour if you do.

Please bear in mind that I don't expect you to implement these things immediately, but know this: it will do a great deal to improve your work.

http://art101.newgrounds.com/news/ Please review these sets of tutorials at your own convenience.

Response to Up and Coming! 2012-08-18 15:11:25

At 8/18/12 10:43 AM, IraGremka wrote: With that attitude, you might as well not of even looked on here... as this thread is only for artists and artists of ANY SORT ONLY!

So, what, if I'm not an artist, I'm not allowed to leave any feedback? That's rather rude of you.
Anyways, on this starting piece, the cross-hatching doesn't do anything for it, in fact, it actually kinda ruins the image. Also, we need some shading going on here, because it's looking a little flat.

Response to Up and Coming! 2012-08-18 15:56:34

You want to get better and you want to enter the world of digital arts. How much better? What is your ultimate goal? What do you consider good? Will you be going to school for digital art, or are you trying to go to school for digital art? Is this just a hobby?

These are important questions to ask yourself before seeking critique. Just saying "I want to get better give me advice" isnt very useful, even if a pic is posted, because people dont know what direction you want to go in. We need a basis to compare you with "I want to be good enough to make my own comic/game/movie/brand/sale and commission work" "I want to be as good as *insert artist here*" "currently my work looks like _____. Im hoping to be able to get it similar to _____."

Its hard to give someone direction when we dont know the goals. If I were to critique your current stuff based soley on what information your provided I would be using too much of my own personal preferences towards art and the critique, while being possibly helpful, could ultimately be misleading. Personally I hate antro art so I would say right off the bat drop that stuff, especially if you are thinking of going into digital art expecting to make a living. And I would also go against the previous commenters and say the only good part of the piece is the cross hatching, heavy uniform line work like you have is a sign of inexperience and is just all around ugly. Your color scheme and usage also screams beginner to me.
See what I mean? Those could all be relative points, but if your objective is to make say, a webcomic with a certain style similar to what you have, then the critique would differ greatly and the one I gave wouldnt really apply any more.

Plus if you are planning on going to school for digital stuff an entirely different critique would be needed. That one would revolve more around getting a cohesive portfolio together, rather than general "improvements". Most of the improvements you would pick up in school.

With pictures that plain and generic its important to provide a bit more information than just "tell me how to get better." Its about as useful and vague as grabbing a bag of flour and saying "i have this, now tell me how to bake something, but it has to be the right something"