00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My art

4,639 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My art 2012-07-27 12:36:25

I have been on this site for a pretty long time and have gone under two names jim3 and jrguillett23, this will be a new topic on my art.

http://jrguillett23.deviantart.com/

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-27 12:48:57

more stuff

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-27 13:36:15

I like the overall depth of how much shit is going on in the pictures.

Response to My art 2012-07-27 15:43:27

an important part of art is having areas for the viewers eyes to rest. I don't get any of that looking at your images.

Response to My art 2012-07-27 16:16:31

I love pieces like this, the first one is awesome. Maybe invest in some colors, though?

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to My art 2012-07-27 20:54:17

At 7/27/12 03:43 PM, PMMurphy wrote: an important part of art is having areas for the viewers eyes to rest. I don't get any of that looking at your images.

Sorry it's just a unique piece of a unique art style you cannot please everyone. allot more than these I just get a great reaction out of them.

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-27 23:26:10

At 7/27/12 03:43 PM, PMMurphy wrote: an important part of art is having areas for the viewers eyes to rest. I don't get any of that looking at your images.

Personally, I think that clusterfuck art can work if it's done right. I feel this works.

Response to My art 2012-07-27 23:40:38

At 7/27/12 11:26 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Personally, I think that clusterfuck art can work if it's done right. I feel this works.

A smudge was on this one

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-28 00:14:35

At 7/27/12 11:40 PM, jrguillett23 wrote:
At 7/27/12 11:26 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
A smudge was on this one

Wow, the lighter grey pencil on the beige paper looks AMAZING, and it is much lighter on the eyes for those that don't like the high contrast black/white. I personally love both. Great work.

f r i c k e n a w e s o m e

Response to My art 2012-07-28 00:16:12

At 7/27/12 08:54 PM, jrguillett23 wrote: Sorry it's just a unique piece of a unique art style you cannot please everyone. allot more than these I just get a great reaction out of them.

I am going to be blunt here. I understand your "style" is unique. But the main fact is everyone has their own unique style that is expressed in their own ways. That does not give you any excuse to ignore the fundamentals and various things of art nor does it give you an excuse not to try to learn them.

You dont have to change how you draw, just improve on it. With this attitude you wont improve much or you will hit a plateau and wonder where to go next.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 01:15:01

At 7/28/12 12:16 AM, PMMurphy wrote:
At 7/27/12 08:54 PM, jrguillett23 wrote: Sorry it's just a unique piece of a unique art style you cannot please everyone. allot more than these I just get a great reaction out of them.
I am going to be blunt here. I understand your "style" is unique. But the main fact is everyone has their own unique style that is expressed in their own ways. That does not give you any excuse to ignore the fundamentals and various things of art nor does it give you an excuse not to try to learn them.

You dont have to change how you draw, just improve on it. With this attitude you wont improve much or you will hit a plateau and wonder where to go next.

lol, woah dude - hes not breaking a law here. Art police ftw. - Ignore this nonsense completely, as it was ignorant.

Ive never seen clusterfuck art, have a focal point. The point, is that its a cluster fuck. THere is multiple diff images, or scenes, or enviroments, in one image that leaks into eachother, with no idea where the focal point is. Thats how that shit kicks home skillets. - Anyway, That shit would be sick on a wallside in a industrial building, with black light paint, and then scrambled up into a rave. - Rock on bro. Just getting better at "drawing in general" would just mean you can fit more "perfect" images together, make things seem "less like doodles."

Response to My art 2012-07-28 01:21:09

At 7/28/12 12:16 AM, PMMurphy wrote: You dont have to change how you draw, just improve on it. With this attitude you wont improve much or you will hit a plateau and wonder where to go next.

You're being horribly vague. What fundamentals is he ignoring that you think he has to learn/improve on?

He doesn't have a bad or pretentious attitude or anything. He is merely stating that people have their opinions, and while some people (like me) like his art, other people (like you) may not.

OP is actually being quite nice compared to other newbies around here, and you're coming off as hostile. Relax :P

It isn't necessary for a piece, especially a high-energy one like the one you commented on, to have an area of rest.
-
OP, I do like what you're making here, so keep it up. But many of the lines are uneven and wobbly, so I would suggest smoothing those areas up (or at least keeping it in mind for future reference) and using a ruler for the straighter parts.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 01:22:21

At 7/28/12 01:15 AM, pockets08 wrote: lol, woah dude - hes not breaking a law here. Art police ftw. - Ignore this nonsense completely, as it was ignorant.

Only reason i made it blunt was because i felt it was the best way to address the issue and might have the best effect given the response i got earlier being a little more polite. I don't always have to kiss peoples feet.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 01:42:29

At 7/28/12 01:21 AM, Kashi wrote: You're being horribly vague. What fundamentals is he ignoring that you think he has to learn/improve on?

Ok, ill name a few.

form, value, texture, composition.

For texture, i dont really get a sense of any. Where is it?

form, your forms look like its stylized but since i see the same kind of forms over and over again and how most of the picture looks flat i think you skipped the lessons of form.

value, i see the same value tones or similair values in your pieces in overal. If you have greys everything is grey, where you have black and white there is no mid tone grey. I dont see a good balance or oganisation of tones or even an attempt to do so.

composition. There is very few areas of rest in your pieces. All because its clusterfuck art doesn't mean it has to be chaotic, you can organise things and learn how to make it calmed down by planning our values or where you put the objects on the paper.

here is an artist who i think this style looks similair to that i think its VERY talented.http://pdclark.deviantart.com/

Response to My art 2012-07-28 01:59:58

At 7/28/12 01:21 AM, Kashi wrote: He doesn't have a bad or pretentious attitude or anything. He is merely stating that people have their opinions, and while some people (like me) like his art, other people (like you) may not.

I didn't know this was important to say. But personally i like his art. I gave a critique and based off the response of the critique i gave another.

I thought he was ignoring my critique because he was saying its all "style". That is a bad habit and bad way to think. You take in peoples critiques they give you and think of how to make things better with it. You never blame something on your "style" because styles are completely non exsistant and everyone posses one.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 09:50:49

At 7/28/12 01:42 AM, PMMurphy wrote: here is an artist who i think this style looks similair to that i think its VERY talented.http://pdclark.deviantart.com/

Okay, I know I called it clusterfuck, but the actual term for this kind of art is horror vacui, which means fear of empty spaces. It's when an artist attempts to fill in every piece of the page. Some artists fill the entire page in, others have spaces here and there, it just depends on who is doing it. Likewise with the tonal variation. I did one all in a single black tone and I think it came out great, and I've seen many other's done in a single tone without any range.
However, I suggest everyone google horror vacui in order to see some other kinds to truly understand what this art is all about.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 10:12:25

At 7/28/12 09:50 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Okay, I know I called it clusterfuck, but the actual term for this kind of art is horror vacui,

I checked it out. The difference between those works and this, is they show a clear understanding of the fundamentals i pointed out. You can tell they did the lessons and learned from them. Also they have areas of rest for the eyes and everything isn't so chaotic. Some of those artists are extremely talented.

"The style chooses the artist.
That much has always been clear
to those of us who have studied artâEU¦
These connections are complex. An
initial attraction, and then a mutual
quest for experience, the style learning
from the artist, the artist from the art."

A perfect quote i ran into today that explains everything.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 11:14:21

At 7/28/12 10:12 AM, PMMurphy wrote:
At 7/28/12 09:50 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Okay, I know I called it clusterfuck, but the actual term for this kind of art is horror vacui,
I checked it out. The difference between those works and this, is they show a clear understanding of the fundamentals i pointed out. You can tell they did the lessons and learned from them. Also they have areas of rest for the eyes and everything isn't so chaotic. Some of those artists are extremely talented.

"The style chooses the artist.
That much has always been clear
to those of us who have studied artâEU¦
These connections are complex. An
initial attraction, and then a mutual
quest for experience, the style learning
from the artist, the artist from the art."

A perfect quote i ran into today that explains everything.

I have studied the basics of art and thank you for the tips they are extremely helpful, I know its called horror vacui, much of my art is inspired by woodcuts and artists who did woodcuts, If you actually sat down and tried to make one of these its extremely tedious work some taking a few days to make, I realize that even great things can have many improvements made to them that is why I am not butthurt at all from what PMMurphy is saying because in many ways he is right, I do more than just this kind of art and most of the art I showed you was old I am mostly working on comics books and animation right now.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 11:44:48

More scanned stuff

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-28 11:51:24

And thank for at least looking and commenting that is very appreciated, This is a relatively new style for me because horror vacui just interested me 5-6 months ago, so I still have a while to go to get it fully down.

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-28 11:59:23

I think your latest ones are looking much better. Have you practiced differing line weights and patterns with just simple 2D lines? I think this style would benefit highly from knowing 2D art very well. Just a thought.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 12:13:14

So you must be right handed? It'd be cool to see some of this iniked out.

Response to My art 2012-07-28 12:43:48

At 7/28/12 12:13 PM, Ahkihoun wrote: So you must be right handed? It'd be cool to see some of this iniked out.

Psychic how did you know?

Response to My art 2012-07-28 16:55:26

nice, i like the vibes in theese drawings.
two tips that i have for you is
- don't overload the piece with objects, it sometimes ruin it.
- try to work more on your letters and the anatomy(the way people look in your drawings)
it will make it alot better, good luck..

BBS Signature

Response to My art 2012-07-29 16:23:10

At 7/28/12 04:55 PM, ShizzleCreature wrote: nice, i like the vibes in theese drawings.
two tips that i have for you is
- don't overload the piece with objects, it sometimes ruin it.
- try to work more on your letters and the anatomy(the way people look in your drawings)
it will make it alot better, good luck..

That was highly appreciated and diffidently things that I should think about in future drawings, anatomy is something I think all artists struggle with.

Response to My art 2012-07-31 15:25:08

Ok more keep in mind not in chronological order

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-31 15:28:44

Some more

My art

Response to My art 2012-07-31 15:31:04

And more

My art

Response to My art 2012-08-01 21:22:54

Yep and something different.

My art