00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Super Mario bros 2 thread.

3,914 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-06 19:18:51

Video. VIDEO. VIDEOVIDEOVIDEO.

Analysis. Video. ANALYSIS VIDEO.

Basically the sequel to the DS game from 2005. Woo.

The game isn't too new, which is ironic, using graphics that resemble 2009's Wii game. The game is most likely going to play very much like the other games, which isn't a bad thing.

However, this game is all about the coins, meaning it's perfect for highscore whores. There is a coin rush where you have one life and three levels to amass as many coins as possible.

The ultimate goal, as said by Nintendo, is to get 1 million coins.

This game arrives August 19, but with a twist, as a hard store bought copy, and as an eshop download, for the same price.

After the release, Nintendo will be releasing DLC in the form of extra levels, but they haven't even started developing the yet.

New Super Mario bros 2 thread.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-06 23:37:07

Must you make all the threads for the upcoming games? I wanted to make at least one.....
But yeah, looking forward to this. Not looking forward to the DLC though, theyre making it paid DLC. I never thought Nintendo would stoop to that.
Interesting how the goal this time is to get coins. I mean, youre still allowed to rescue the princess, right? Still though, looking like plenty of fun

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-07 02:49:43

I don't think the dlc for this is a bad idea. Dlc itself isn't a bad practice at all. It's when the dlc is already made and ready on the disc. That's when it's bullshit ( looking at you capcom ). I think it's cool that nintendo is delivering a full fledged game and will continue to support it with more content later on. Nintendo promised that the game will be a full game on its own and that they haven't even started thinking about the downloadable levels yet other then planning to have some at some point in time after the release. That's the way you do it. I'll gladly support a game after release with extra content if it's good.

anyways, on the topic of the game, I dunno if I'll get it on release. I like that it's trying something kind of different with the coins though. I always feel like mario needs more innovation these days. Also if it has 4 player co-op like the wii one, replace one of those damn toads. Nobody wants to play as generic toad number 2 while the cool friends play as mario and luigi ( as Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation put it. )

Gamertag: Catspirit123

home forum

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-07 05:05:37

I've been looking forward to playing some more side scrolling mario action. These games almost never get old for some reason.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-07 05:46:15

At 7/7/12 02:49 AM, fawnret wrote:
Also if it has 4 player co-op like the wii one, replace one of those damn toads.

It has 2 player co-op, not 4. I would think it would be rather difficult with 4

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-07 07:07:12

At 7/6/12 07:18 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Video. VIDEO. VIDEOVIDEOVIDEO.

Analysis. Video. ANALYSIS VIDEO.

Basically the sequel to the DS game from 2005. Woo.

New Super Mario Bros was released in 2006.

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-07 10:53:41

The NSMB games never really tickled my fancy compared to the Galaxy titles. NSMB 2 doesn't do anything for me either. The idea is interesting, but I'm not too sure how well that would change the gameplay.

Obligatory reaction video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFAnpb8I3E

"Scatman" refers to the use vocal improvisation and nonsense syllables in jazz and hip-hop music made famous by people like Ella Fitzgerald and John Paul Larkin.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-08 01:45:19

Looks decent except for the DLC.

Really? DLC? What the hell is there to make DLC about?

Not gunna bitch here though, I got $2 leftover in eShop and hopefully I can get one or two DLC packs.

Moved to new account.

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-08 21:15:48

At 7/8/12 01:45 AM, CritcalOne wrote: Looks decent except for the DLC.

Really? DLC? What the hell is there to make DLC about?

Extra coin rush levels. The game is designed for highscores, and from what I heard it is quite difficult compared to recent games.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-08 22:47:47

I'm a bit annoyed that all these games look almost exactly the same. Seriously, I'm sure the designers can make some variations that make each game stand out a little more. New Super Mario Bros. U is making the backgrounds nicer but the characters have been looking the same basically since the first one, only higher-resolution.

The gameplay should also have some changes. Sure there's always going to be new power-ups and they did add the spin-jump in NSMBW, but I want to see some more default moves for Mario.

Between my two complaints, this game doesn't look that great, especially compared to New Super Mario Bros. U. I'm pretty disappointed with most of the 3DS so far. I might have to skip it.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-08 23:22:54

This game looks excellent. I will have to get it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-08 23:30:24

At 7/8/12 10:47 PM, johnnyshroom221 wrote:
Stuff.

I could point out some good 3DS games for you if you want. Either way, NSMBU looks quite underwhelming to me. I am a fan of the games, but it looks too easy, too "hey, here's a Mario game at launch". I'd rather get this because of its challenge and creative main concept (collect coins).

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-22 12:44:13

I can't wait untill this game is released! This game is definatly going to be part of my collection!

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-22 18:53:52

rehash

filler text

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-26 15:32:01

Just a new trailer for you people.

Apparently Luigi will be silver when in coin powerup mode to differentiate from Mario, and the Giga mushroom is back.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-26 15:58:29

I officially hate the coin sound now because of this game. The sad thing is I want to play it still but Nintendo is really burning my interest in Mario. Yeah great level design but it shows why Mario never came with a level editor (yet Super Meat Boy did)

Paper Mario 3DS & Luigi's Mansion 2 will be worththe wait but ehh this could've been a remake of the actually Super Mario Bros 2 with Toad & Peach in Mario's dream n shit but whatever.

LORD OF CHEESEBURGERS mobile coming soon, ya little yentas

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-07-26 21:56:59

At 7/26/12 03:32 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Luigi will be silver

Dang, the poor guy can't just catch a break. They can't make him a different shade of gold?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-19 19:14:03

So the game came out today, and I am loving it so far! The golden fire flower is just epic!
Anyone else get the game today?

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-19 19:49:57

At 8/19/12 07:14 PM, Lionelion wrote: So the game came out today, and I am loving it so far! The golden fire flower is just epic!
Anyone else get the game today?

I did. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but im looking forward to doing so.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-19 23:56:05

I might not be getting it for reasons of saving for other videogames. I did watch a video of a Japanese player who got 1 million coins though. The reward is a bit underwhelming, but I won't ruin it.

Anyone check their prices for the eshop? I thought I heard a rumor that in Britain the digital game was 10 pounds more expensive, but I checked in the North American version of the eshop and the price was the same. Strange.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 00:00:00

At 8/19/12 11:56 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: I might not be getting it for reasons of saving for other videogames. I did watch a video of a Japanese player who got 1 million coins though. The reward is a bit underwhelming, but I won't ruin it.

Yeah, I already know, and it definitely is underwhelming.
What other games are you saving up for that would prevent you from getting this game?

Anyone check their prices for the eshop? I thought I heard a rumor that in Britain the digital game was 10 pounds more expensive, but I checked in the North American version of the eshop and the price was the same. Strange.

Yeah, its the same price in the eshop as it is in stores for America, but apparently 5 pounds(or so i heard)less in stores for Britain. I find that pretty odd

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 11:14:31

At 8/20/12 12:00 AM, Lionelion wrote:
At 8/19/12 11:56 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
What other games are you saving up for that would prevent you from getting this game?

The Wii U for one, and all it's launch games, Lego Lord of the Rings, and Virtue's Last Reward at the moment.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 15:34:50

At 8/20/12 11:14 AM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 8/20/12 12:00 AM, Lionelion wrote:
At 8/19/12 11:56 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
The Wii U for one, and all it's launch games, Lego Lord of the Rings, and Virtue's Last Reward at the moment.

Ah, gotcha. Im saving up for the WiiU as well, but I just cant pass up the awesome 3DS games that are coming out

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 17:48:53

I'm not really looking forward to it. most Mario games are the same but the levels are different, they concentrate on making future Mario games like Mario 64 or super Mario galaxy

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 18:15:21

I'm a little skeptical on this game. I mean I love Super Mario Bros, and my Nintendo 3DS is my primary gaming console after my Xbox, so I might buy this. But it seems weird how it's so focused on coins. When I watch gameplay videos I see stuff like getting power-ups to become invincible and fill every inch of the screen in coins. This just seems weird to me, like it kinda feels like this game will be too easy. I like the simple idea of rescuing Princess Peach, and then adding new maps that change the way you play, and new power-ups to make the game interesting. But if every power-up is just for getting more Gold it seems bland to me. I'm not a huge fan of running around a level collecting 500,000 coins, I wanna jump on bad guys and fight bosses. It feels a little too over the top with the fuck ton of coins and collectibles...

I dunno that's just me, maybe it will be more fun than it looks.

The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.

BBS Signature

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 20:46:46

At 8/20/12 06:15 PM, HeadbangingLegend wrote: I'm a little skeptical on this game.

I heard from one source saying it was the most challenging Mario in a long time, for the fact that you can compare scores with people all over the world forcing you to better yourself, and it is tough when you want to get a really hard to reach 100$ coin that could cost you a life trying to get it.

It also has DLC that had development started on after the game launched, so there's always that.

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-08-20 21:11:53

At 8/20/12 08:46 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 8/20/12 06:15 PM, HeadbangingLegend wrote: I'm a little skeptical on this game.
I heard from one source saying it was the most challenging Mario in a long time, for the fact that you can compare scores with people all over the world forcing you to better yourself, and it is tough when you want to get a really hard to reach 100$ coin that could cost you a life trying to get it.

Agreed. This actually starts getting pretty tough right after world 1. Some of the Star Coins and secret exits are hid pretty dang well.
I will say though that if youre gonna go for the 1,000,000 coins thing, youre gonna have to do a FUCK ton of level grinding. I mean, im half way through world 5 right now, and there are 9 worlds total, and so far, I only have around 45,000 coins. I predict that at most, im gonna have around 100,000 when I finally beat world nine, and thats only 1/10 of the amount you need for the 1 million goal. If youre dedicated, this game will have you grinding for hours on end, days maybe. Whether or not that is a good thing is up to you.

It also has DLC that had development started on after the game launched, so there's always that.

Still not too sure about this DLC business...

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-09-28 21:22:50

First DLC is out in Japan.

Appears to be three sets of levels, each about 2$. One is coin collecting themed, one is highscore themed, and one is all about hardcore playing.

Hopefully Nintendo uses this for more games, I know how much fun an extra world in Mario Galaxy would be for me..

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-09-29 00:30:05

At 9/28/12 09:22 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: First DLC is out in Japan.

Appears to be three sets of levels, each about 2$. One is coin collecting themed, one is highscore themed, and one is all about hardcore playing.

Hopefully Nintendo uses this for more games, I know how much fun an extra world in Mario Galaxy would be for me..

So, are they like entirely new levels then?

Response to New Super Mario bros 2 thread. 2012-09-29 13:51:01

At 9/29/12 12:30 AM, Lionelion wrote:
At 9/28/12 09:22 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
So, are they like entirely new levels then?

It appears so.