00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Imagination vs Skill

3,915 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 14:37:42

Skill is required no matter what, because you have to learn the rules of art. Such as colors, shading, light, things of this nature. Once you know the rules you can then break them... that is where the imagination comes in.

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 16:46:20

At 6/17/12 06:42 AM, Ernosco wrote: What do you think that is more important? Having a good imagination but the art looks weird, or a very good detailed picture of an unoriginal & boring thing.

The skill is nothing compared to the ability ;D

stop();

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 16:49:41

At 6/22/12 04:46 PM, Bit-N wrote:
At 6/17/12 06:42 AM, Ernosco wrote: What do you think that is more important? Having a good imagination but the art looks weird, or a very good detailed picture of an unoriginal & boring thing.

Imagination is nothing compared to the ability ;D

stop();

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 17:14:55

Everyone is an artist right? Anyone with hands can pick up a pencil (or without) Or one can simply draw something within the mind. Just imagine if everyone could draw everything and anything with extreme precision and skill.
The best ideas come from the imagination. Wouldn't it be boring to draw everything as it is?
I love drawing for one special reason. That reason is because of the ability to express my thoughts on paper. I do not think I am much of an artist if I do not create something that I think about. What makes good art is a persons personal opinion. To me there needs to be a balance between imagination and skill but how does one measure skill if we all have different preferences? Imagination to me is the key.

BBS Signature

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 17:50:27

Looks like we will never find out whether Imagination is more important than Skill when creating art.
Oh well.

At 6/17/12 07:11 AM, Ernosco wrote:

Lemme guess, you're an artist who thinks they have a good imagination, but weird looking art.
yes, so?

At 6/19/12 08:14 AM, lucariopokemonsonic wrote:

Any reasonable person will choose imagination.

At 6/19/12 09:57 AM, No573N wrote:

Well, I think sit should be more to the imagination side. Look at the stick figure things...no art involved but you enjoy read or watching them

At 6/22/12 05:14 PM, momsbasement wrote:

Imagination to me is the key.

BBS Signature

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 19:13:43

At 6/22/12 05:14 PM, momsbasement wrote: Just imagine if everyone could draw everything and anything with extreme precision and skill.

if that was the case then "skill" would be defined differently in that day and time in another aspect other then what is currently being viewed as. I find this point completely irrelevant. You cant have good skill without bad skill.

Honestly i think it all depends on what career field and path you wish to take in art. Some imagination would be better while others are more profound with skill.

Response to Imagination vs Skill 2012-06-22 20:30:29

They aren't particularly exclusive. Skill allows artists to convey what they imagine: without it, all sorts of information is lost. An unskilled artist trying to convey an idea may succeed on a few levels, but I guarantee that the full idea, in all it's glory and precise emotional tonalities, will not come through.

Imagination is 100% necessary for art. If you can't visualize what you want to make, you just won't be able to make it. That said, absolutely everyone has some base level of imagination all ready to be amplified by skill, with the possible exception of some people with severe mental disabilities.

In any case, having a good imagination is no excuse not to build up your skill. If anything it should be more of a reason to practice, so that you can express your wonderful ideas fully and perfectly. Imagination x skill = art, but you can only properly control skill and imagination never equals zero.

OP, what sparked this question?