00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Experiences of Moving Out

535 Views | 5 Replies

Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-28 21:28:07

So I'm 18, turning 19 in September. I'm fresh out of high school (graduated May 2011) and I've been attending the junior college but I've done poorly in my classes and I ended up dropping most of them. I've been depressed a lot and always think my life is so pointless and sometimes I feel suicidal and spend a lot of time online, and it honestly is not a way I like my spending my life. So I've thought about getting a job in the city I currently live in, save it up, and then move out by the time I turn 19 to Oakland or Berkeley (if you're familiar with this part of the west coast). It's just a more urban area that I like and I would like to be a roommate and get a job there, and go to the junior college there. I think I would feel more independent and my life would have more meaning if I did so, so then I could transfer to a university easily. Not to mention, there's so much more to do there and there's a train system there (unlike where I live) that gets to places easily. Of course I'd like to get my driving stuff over with (still haven't accomplished that, yet lol..)

I dunno, anyone else like this? What's your experience like moving out of your family's home as a late teenager or early 20's (in this case, mine is really dysfunctional and the home we live in isn't nice and the area we live in sucks because it's a total mix of wealthy and poor areas and it's just an ugly mix) to another place, whether it to be a university, or just to live by yourself and experience a different city, different atmosphere, etc? Would appreciate any feedback!

Response to Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-28 21:53:01

Well, if you've been doing poorly in your classes now, what makes you think going to a different college in a different city will be any better? Is it just that you're not motivated, or do you genuinely have trouble with the work?

And do you know how hard it is to get a job these days, even if you are qualified? First take into account that you have no education higher than a high school diploma, and you have minimal to no experience (I assume), so you'd probably only be getting about minimum wage. So you'd only be making about $15k a year, before taxes, meaning that you'll have to work more than 5 months to save up enough money.

It sounds like you just want to get a job, try and save as much as you can, and then just pick up and leave. You'd obviously need to do a lot of research about the area you are moving to. Look for employment rates, job availability, housing availability, etc. You need to make sure that you are on the right foot when you get to where you want to live.

My advice: keep going to college now, get an associate's degree so at least you have something more than a GED. Then get a job, maybe move into a nicer part of town, and save up your money.

BBS Signature

Response to Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-28 21:57:48

At 4/28/12 09:53 PM, estrago1 wrote: Well, if you've been doing poorly in your classes now, what makes you think going to a different college in a different city will be any better? Is it just that you're not motivated, or do you genuinely have trouble with the work?

There are so many distractions here. You have a good point but I'm just too depressed with my situation here.

And do you know how hard it is to get a job these days, even if you are qualified? First take into account that you have no education higher than a high school diploma, and you have minimal to no experience (I assume), so you'd probably only be getting about minimum wage. So you'd only be making about $15k a year, before taxes, meaning that you'll have to work more than 5 months to save up enough money.

A lot of the people who work at the places I want to work at can hardly speak English so I do not see any reason why it should be too difficult to get a job here, and plus I've worked before. I'm only interesting in renting a room, possibly in a downtown or Chinatown where in some ways it's more cheaper.

It sounds like you just want to get a job, try and save as much as you can, and then just pick up and leave. You'd obviously need to do a lot of research about the area you are moving to. Look for employment rates, job availability, housing availability, etc. You need to make sure that you are on the right foot when you get to where you want to live.

That's why I'm looking at craigslist and stuff like that. Also I have relatives near the area I want to move to.

My advice: keep going to college now, get an associate's degree so at least you have something more than a GED. Then get a job, maybe move into a nicer part of town, and save up your money.

I'll just get a job and then go to school, but I'm actually planning to get a job in China or Japan where it's actually much easier for me to get a job, once I graduate out of college haha

Response to Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-28 23:57:06

At 4/28/12 09:28 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote: So I'm 18, turning 19 in September. I'm fresh out of high school (graduated May 2011) and I've been attending the junior college but I've done poorly in my classes and I ended up dropping most of them. I've been depressed a lot and always think my life is so pointless and sometimes I feel suicidal and spend a lot of time online, and it honestly is not a way I like my spending my life. So I've thought about getting a job in the city I currently live in, save it up, and then move out by the time I turn 19 to Oakland

Pretty much stopped reading. If you like being fucked, sure move there. If not, I would definitely move to a more suburban place.

I moved out when I was 19. I moved in with my boyfriend and was with him for 2 years and recently broke up until I got my new place. It's pretty difficult living on your own. You'll have to get a good job and know what to buy and replenish your necessities on your own. And you'll have to set up your own internet, electricity, water, etc (unless they're included). I'd suggest getting a roommate. For real.

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157

You shouldn't have done that....

Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature

Response to Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-29 01:05:19

I remeber when I turned 19 and started working for real ...

The big point is that I live all my childhood in a really tiny village with like 300 peoples...
Don't get fooled , they're a lot of things to do in a village but not the same thing as in the city . For example you make a lot more friends because you know almost everybody that are in the village and everybody is much more friendly and doesn't get shy about talking at everyone because they're not so much to do and people to know and watch , and its much more cooler to do thing , I don't know how to explain it... And the downside they're not a lot OF WOMAN in a village .

But anyways no need to tell you that when I founded what's its like to live in a city , it was a bit special...

Anyway I like more village then city (but not to live in a village all your life... ,its much more fun in a village in the week-end !!! m(bigger party , more friends , more drugs and alcohol ;)

ANYWAYS I TELL YOU CITY PEOPLE ARE MUCH MORE PUSSY AND GAY THEN VILLAGE PEOPLE !!!

-

BBS Signature

Response to Experiences of Moving Out 2012-04-29 01:21:32

At 4/28/12 09:28 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote: Would appreciate any feedback!

Dude! Starting Fall 2013, I'm (probably) going to attend a university in San Fran, and hopefully move over there that year. We can be roomies!We can help each other out and we'll have loads of fun (maybe)!

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature