00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

finalfridayss just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Question about Practice Methods

903 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 22:34:35

yes yes yes, I know, you are all tired of seeing my name in the forum.

Anyway - Im over here scrapping paper practicing, -sigh- basic shapes, - Squares, Circles, Rectangles, Triangles. - and outside of the circle, Im having issues making them make sense geometrically. My lines always seem to curve, or go off in a not so straight direction, I also draw with my wrist ont eh table at all times, so it can relax, and my fingers push the pencil, I believe thats incorrect hand posture for drawing, and im nto sure how to break the habbit. - So, Suggestions on breakign the habbit of being lazy and straggling your hand across the page to draw - and suggestions on straight lines? I know using a ruler helps, but drawing a straight line with always needing a ruler to do it, puts me kinda in a more time consuming position, and rather less fun knowing i need it for a crutch.

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 22:41:48

You're going to want to learn drawing from the elbow rather than from the wrist.
It allows you to get cleaner, smoother lines and just overall better line form.
A good way to practice would be to try drawing upright.

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 22:48:56

At 4/26/12 10:41 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: You're going to want to learn drawing from the elbow rather than from the wrist.

Any tips on creating adrawing table thats not flat liek a kitchen table? I dont have a hundred dollars to spend on a drafting table, so any ideas? And appreciat ethe help there John, youve been pretty opinionated, and nto a douche. Ive seen peopel be a douche to you, and I highly respect that you have no become. ty.
-the douche.

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 23:01:55

I've got a drawing board that is basically a large sheet of wood with some clips that I use- i'll prop it up against a wall when necessary and I fit it into an easel when there's one around to use.

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 23:01:55

At 4/26/12 10:48 PM, pockets08 wrote:
At 4/26/12 10:41 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: You're going to want to learn drawing from the elbow rather than from the wrist.
Any tips on creating adrawing table thats not flat liek a kitchen table? I dont have a hundred dollars to spend on a drafting table, so any ideas? And appreciat ethe help there John, youve been pretty opinionated, and nto a douche. Ive seen peopel be a douche to you, and I highly respect that you have no become. ty.
-the douche.

My first drafting table I built in wood shop in highschool. It cost me nothing since I supplied my own wood.
You can also get portable drafting tables for pretty cheap They are smaller, and van be "Put Away" but you'll have to rely on a kitchen table or other desk to support it properly.
Here we go I think I found the right link to blick. Careful sometimes these can run in to some money as well.
yeah close enough anyway.

You can pretty easily construct your own if you have any skills with some wood working. JUst make sure that if you do, sand your surface to a smooth even finish.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-26 23:38:09

OKay, so I scavanged the garage, and heres what I managed, - We have a plywood table in my closet, we were building somethign previously, I attacked a half in wood liner to the end, and have a Marble tile slab, that tilts sideways, and the wood liner supports it on the edge of the table, so it doesnt slide, Im conjuring what to use to keep it at a 90 degree angle though, or, 80 degree...or..something.

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-27 01:30:38

At 4/26/12 11:38 PM, pockets08 wrote: OKay, so I scavanged the garage, and heres what I managed, - We have a plywood table in my closet, we were building somethign previously, I attacked a half in wood liner to the end, and have a Marble tile slab, that tilts sideways, and the wood liner supports it on the edge of the table, so it doesnt slide, Im conjuring what to use to keep it at a 90 degree angle though, or, 80 degree...or..something.

When I get up tomorrow and ifnish my studio project, ill post a pic of it, and Hope for some suggestions on making it a nice art station. :)

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-27 14:07:44

Yussss - got a marble slab tile being held up by a ten pound weight inbetween wood liner, and behind it another piece of flat wood holding the weight in place, and its all adjustable etc - freakin closet space was just perfect to surround myself in drawings to watch myself progress. along with a shoe box cutting of buckets for pens and pencils, etc etc. Idk about lighting though, im not sure if it will create a shadow that will screw me over or not, and at the moment all i have is a bar stool, so no back support. Augh.

Question about Practice Methods

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-27 14:42:21

At 4/27/12 02:07 PM, pockets08 wrote: and at the moment all i have is a bar stool, so no back support. Augh.

haha, I remember those from Highschool. man they sucked. At least once I got in to college they had some with a little back support.
I would suggest eventually investing in a comfortable chair. Check craigslist in your area or go to rummage sales and such. You can get something cheap. Something you can clean up and use but not too nasty if you know what I mean.

As for lighting. You can get some clip desk lights pretty cheap and easy from walmart or something.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Question about Practice Methods 2012-04-27 15:46:56

I would suggest eventually investing in a comfortable chair. Check craigslist in your area or go to rummage sales and such. You can get something cheap. Something you can clean up and use but not too nasty if you know what I mean.

As for lighting. You can get some clip desk lights pretty cheap and easy from walmart or something.

im definatley going to get a better chair, this stool sucks something awful. As for lighting, so far it seems okay.