00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

a125678298 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Use of the word "tomboy"

10,988 Views | 138 Replies

Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:22:09

I am making comics/cartoons for KIDS- KIDS are the target audience. When readers look at and think of tomboys are they going to think of lesbians? If they are KIDS why would they think that?

A tomboy, in the context I am using it in is

an energetic, sometimes boisterous female whose behavior and pursuits, are considered more typical of males than of females?

Not a lesbian.

Why would they think or assume they are gay? My sister used to be a tomboy- she liked to fight. She liked males.

Famous examples of tomboys:

Lara Croft, Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls, the female characters from Street Fighter- Chun Li, Cammy and Sakura, and from Happy Days, Fonzie's girlfriend, Pinky Tuscadero and her sister Leather Tuscadero - all tomboys. They aren't lesbians or bisexuals.

Why would girls and young women be offended f they were referred to as tomboys?

A lot of girls and young women aren't "girly", and a lot of them do stuff that is typically associated with male behavior- that doesn't mean they are gay.

I am aware that it can also can mean a lesbian or bisexual- how and why did this term fall under this usage?

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:23:55

Teach those kids acceptance of homosexuality.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:24:36

"A girl who enjoys rough, noisy activities traditionally associated with boys"

I've never associated the word with anything other than its definition, and I don't think people use it differently, beats me.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:27:01

At 4/8/12 12:23 AM, SolidToad wrote: Teach those kids acceptance of homosexuality.

I am a Christian- that goes against what God says.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:28:22

You're not allowed to be a tomboy without being at least a little bicurious sometimes or having a little penis envy.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool."-FurryFox

This is a temporary account. see JBK

Groups: Gay/Bi Users, Last.fmClub

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:29:42

At 4/8/12 12:28 AM, JBKalso wrote: You're not allowed to be a tomboy without being at least a little bicurious sometimes or having a little penis envy.

This.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:30:47

I never saw a tomboy as a lesbian. I always saw them as rougher girls. But with similar looks in some cases and taking in similar activities probably led to labelling the tomboys. Just another immature act by lower intelligence human beings.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:31:25

At 4/8/12 12:28 AM, JBKalso wrote: You're not allowed to be a tomboy without being at least a little bicurious sometimes or having a little penis envy.

Since when? A tomboy as I know it was just someone who wasn't girly and could act like "one of the guys".

Look at girl or women athletes- do poeple think they are gay?

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:32:19

I used to look up to all the tough tomboy characters when I was a kid.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool."-FurryFox

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:42:56

A trend I've noticed in the LGBT and Brony community is thinking their behaviors and trends are shared by certain groups of people that only slightly resemble them. Not even a small group sometimes. Sometimes they apply it to humanity.

"Everyone's a little gay"
"You just haven't watched the show yet"

I see this point of view on par with bigotry.

Classifying an entire community on observations of a small section of said community. Especially from Newgrounds. That in itself is pretty close to bigotry, good sir.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:48:56

At 4/8/12 12:44 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: If you can't read.

Apparently I can't. But what I said still somewhat applies. Not discrediting you, just saying.

I'm done derailing the thread now. I've never viewed Tomboy as anything sexual whatsoever.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:56:24

At 4/8/12 12:50 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 4/8/12 12:42 AM, SolidToad wrote:
Another piece of physical evidence.

Notice how he thinks he can tell you you are in denial.

pathetic illusions of grandeur

Yup. I'm totally telling them they are in denial. Yup. Makes sense. If you would read the post in context, you'd notice that I was listing steps that people usually go through. If you notice yourself becoming something you don't like, you'd obviously be in denial about it, telling yourself otherwise.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 00:59:59

They believe tomboys are lesbians for the same reason that we think little boys who like ballerina and Barbie are gay.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 01:00:19

At 4/8/12 12:59 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: I'm sorry, I thought listing steps of feelings people go through was telling them what they have, will, and are feeling. Unless "I was just kidding"

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 01:01:56

At 4/8/12 12:59 AM, DM692 wrote: They believe tomboys are lesbians for the same reason that we think little boys who like ballerina and Barbie are gay.

Because they are?

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 01:13:02

At 4/8/12 01:10 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote:
At 4/8/12 12:59 AM, AnonymousOfCali wrote: I'm sorry, I thought listing steps of feelings people go through was telling them what they have, will, and are feeling. Unless "I was just kidding"
I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons.

He's not truly serious. He just enjoys derailing threads and being an ass.

If I did they would all look like this.

Posting something clearly serious and devaluating it in the face of criticism is convenient, isn't it?
You chock up clearly disliking something to denial. Because you think you know how everyone works.But in reality, its you whose the blind one.

If they disliked it they wouldn't be in denial. The thing you took the time to find, screenshot and post here irrelevantly was about people in denial.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 02:32:12

Tomboy has nothing to do with being homosexual. If someone thinks that, they're an ignorant dumbass cunt. It's just a female acting masculine; social stuff.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 02:37:14

At 4/8/12 12:27 AM, ngman7 wrote: I am a Christian- that goes against what God says.

Show us where in the bible God actually says that.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 03:22:11

At 4/8/12 02:37 AM, Painbringer wrote:
At 4/8/12 12:27 AM, ngman7 wrote: I am a Christian- that goes against what God says.

Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 03:27:51

At 4/8/12 03:22 AM, II2none wrote:
At 4/8/12 02:37 AM, Painbringer wrote:
Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

There must have been some translation errors over time. I dont think they even had some of those words back in those times.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 03:32:45

At 4/8/12 03:27 AM, JBKalso wrote:
There must have been some translation errors over time. I dont think they even had some of those words back in those times.

Yeah you can tell by the lack of "thou" and "does" but whatev, good enough.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 03:35:49

At 4/8/12 12:27 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 4/8/12 12:23 AM, SolidToad wrote: Teach those kids acceptance of homosexuality.

Ha ha.

Stop trying to teach children if think that being religion justifies ignoring the rights and equality of others.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 03:38:51

At 4/8/12 03:35 AM, Chocomilk wrote:
At 4/8/12 12:27 AM, ngman7 wrote:
Ha ha.

Stop trying to teach children if think that being religion justifies ignoring the rights and equality of others.

But teaching them about gays would be spreading the devils ways. And if they are gay it would be nuturing them and not giving them the correct attitude toward their sinful thoughts.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 19:11:59

At 4/8/12 03:27 AM, JBKalso wrote:
At 4/8/12 03:22 AM, II2none wrote: Corinthians 6:9-10 -

That's because English wasn't fucking invented yet.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 21:10:25

At 4/8/12 12:22 AM, ngman7 wrote: an energetic, sometimes boisterous female whose behavior and pursuits, are considered more typical of males than of females?

Does Cirno (from Touhou) fit this description? After all, her theme is called "Beloved Tomboyish Daughter." Nothing lesbian about her.

Also, she says stuff like "eye'm the strongest" and considers herself a genius, while most people call her an idiot. I don't know everything about this stuff, but I wanted to provide a possible example.

Use of the word

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 21:42:18

I've seen some "tomboy" girls, mostly a few years ago, and I never thought they were lesbians.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 21:42:45

Most of the differences we define as masculine or feminine are social constructs. A girl can be conditioned to act in a way that society views as masculine. For example, if a girl is into sports, that may be viewed as boy behavior. However, if her parents brought her up in that kind of environment, then her upbringing is the reason, not sexual orientation. You can condition a boy to be sensitive too. But that wouldn't change his sexual orientation. There are other cultures where the roles of the sexes are completely different and their versions of what is "masculine" or "feminine" are nothing like ours. Western culture is not some kind of standard. There's nothing in the genetic code that makes a girl like Barbie or a lesbian like football.

The average person has only one testicle.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 21:51:59

Tomboys arent automatically assumed to be butch you know.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 22:09:52

At 4/8/12 09:51 PM, BumFodder wrote: Tomboys arent automatically assumed to be butch you know.

True. Tomboy refer to personality and behavior. Butch refers to appearance.

The average person has only one testicle.

BBS Signature

Response to Use of the word "tomboy" 2012-04-08 22:15:29

People still use the word Tomboy?

I haven't heard that word since 2005.