00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

biimooner just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ArtistX Operating System

4,823 Views | 28 Replies

ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 12:15:00

Recently, I have stumbled upon a Linux distro that seems like it would be very convenient (and economic) for many people who create content here on Newgrounds. It is called ArtistX. For those who do not know what an operating system is, it is what lets you use a computer, like Windows 7 or MacOs Snow Leopard. Linux is an operating system as well, and there are many kinds of them, specialized in different ways. The best part of Linux is that it is free. ArtistX I think would help many content creators because it is an operating system made for people who like to make audio, video, art, 3d graphics, etc. It comes pre-equipped with many free programs that are catered to that audience. Thus, if you like to make music, art, and so on or create content for NG, this would be a great solution as it is free, meaning you would save yourself a lot of money.
For more info, as well to download it, here is the link:
http://www.artistx.org/site3/
For screen shots:
http://www.artistx.org/site3/rsgallery2.html

Note, the filesize is quite big (4.0gb), so if you want to save yourself time, as well as donate to the Linux creator, you can obtain a CD at my website:
http://evoxs.weebly.com/linux.html
Anything that is not used to cover the cost of the cd, ink, and case is donated to the Distro maker.
(Note: I will make a post once I update it and have the ArtistX OS available on there)

I will also be glad to help anyone who needs help with installation (although there is an installation guide on the website) or who wants to know how to install it side by side to windows.

I hope this really helps people here on Newgrounds who enjoy making the content that has made this a wonderful site. Without its creators, NG wouldn't be what it is today, and I thank you for the time all of you put into making flashes, games, art, music, and more.

ArtistX Operating System

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 12:27:35

Note, the filesize is quite big (4.0gb), so if you want to save yourself time, as well as donate to the Linux creator, you can obtain a CD at my website:
http://evoxs.weebly.com/linux.html
Anything that is not used to cover the cost of the cd, ink, and case is donated to the Distro maker.
(Note: I will make a post once I update it and have the ArtistX OS available on there)

Ok, the link to the Linux Discs has been updated and now includes ArtistX.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 12:40:25

All Linux has compared to my OS-X is faster package managers (MacPorts is damn slow), so I'm definitely not going to switch. Just too many applications I need.
GNU ports nearly everything, so command line tools are plenty. Hell, OS-X's standard compiler is GCC.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 12:47:09

At 31 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote: it would be very convenient (and economic) for many people who create content here on Newgrounds.

Unless they want to make flash.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 12:50:45

At 2 minutes ago, Narcissy wrote:
At 31 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote: it would be very convenient (and economic) for many people who create content here on Newgrounds.

Adobe Flash CS sucks. Real programmers use MXMLC or FlashDevelop.
You can use GNU Make in combination with MXMLC to compile really quickly.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:30:49

At 49 minutes ago, Wolfos wrote: All Linux has compared to my OS-X is faster package managers (MacPorts is damn slow), so I'm definitely not going to switch. Just too many applications I need.
GNU ports nearly everything, so command line tools are plenty. Hell, OS-X's standard compiler is GCC.

True. This is mainly for those who have windows. Don't forget Mac was based off the linux Kernal. I heard they made MacPorts faster in the new version, is that true?

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:33:10

At 49 minutes ago, LichLordMusic wrote: What version of the kernal is it and what Audio software is bundled in?

I might download it and have a look at it as a Virtual Machine for now.

3.0.0-15 Linux kernel, GNOME 3 and KDE 4.7, based on ubuntu 11.10, and in this link it has the list of audio software it comes with:
http://www.artistx.org/site3/Table/Audio/

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:35:36

At 47 minutes ago, Narcissy wrote:

Apart from what Wolfos said, there are also Adobe alternatives available for Linux.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:36:57

Here is the link that shows a list of the software included in ArtistX:

http://www.artistx.org/site3/Table/Software/

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:41:06

Macs are trash.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 13:51:07

Sounds really cool, but an entire operating system? That is fucking insane I will stick with photoshop for now.

Find me on gears pussies. Credit goes to Shaun for the dope sig.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 14:14:19

At 20 minutes ago, gearsofwhore wrote: Sounds really cool, but an entire operating system? That is fucking insane I will stick with photoshop for now

They have Gimp as one of the alternatives for photoshop. And also, you can install this system next to whichever you have now, that way you can switch between what you have and this. It probably has a live cd mode as well in which you should be able to try it out without installing it.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 14:18:44

At 29 minutes ago, LichLordMusic wrote:
At 14 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote:
At 49 minutes ago, LichLordMusic wrote: What version of the kernal is it and what Audio software is bundled in?

I might download it and have a look at it as a Virtual Machine for now.
3.0.0-15 Linux kernel, GNOME 3 and KDE 4.7, based on ubuntu 11.10, and in this link it has the list of audio software it comes with:
http://www.artistx.org/site3/Table/Audio/
Thank you. I'll set off a download tonight for it when everyone else is asleep.

Your more than welcome, and I hope you like it. The torrent download is faster. If it doesn't come up the fist time you click the torrent link, simply keep clicking it until it does.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 14:24:33

At 1 hour ago, Wolfos wrote: Adobe Flash CS sucks. Real programmers use MXMLC or FlashDevelop.

Good thing I'm not a programmer of any kind, huh?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 16:38:51

At 11 minutes ago, polym wrote: Man how misleading...when people think operating system, they think Windows, or Mac OS, or Linux..but different distributions are in reality 'kernels'. For the most part, 'distros' have different settings such as the packages installed, modifications of system configs, etc. It's not an operating system in how someone not inclined may view it. Of course I can tell that the way you advertise it you intended this. I understand that you want to cater to artists who may find this useful, but it's incredibly misleading and ignorant.

Well, if you wish to define it this way, then Windows 7 is not an operating system, since it is only a built upon version of the DOS system. All software comes from a source.
Also, you have to remember that not everyone is an expert in technology, let alone programming. If you don't know anything about kernals or C++ and so on, then you wouldn't understand your own message. I'm trying to put it in a way that people who do not understand all the techno-babble can get it. If you read what I posted well, I said it is "like Windows 7 or MacOs Snow Leopard", the keyword like. Imagine if a doctor prescribed you a medicine and told you your symptoms in the language doctors speak. The main reason Linux or it's distros isn't too popular is because the people who tend to promote it, even if its useful, do so in a way the average computer user would not understand. This is why Windows is the leader of operating systems.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:07:25

At 31 minutes ago, polym wrote: Man how misleading...when people think operating system, they think Windows, or Mac OS, or Linux..but different distributions are in reality 'kernels'.

Different distributions aren't kernels. They're different user-lands which use a similar kernel. The term "operating system" is usually used to refer to the kernel proper, but it may also refer to the kernel and its user-land.

Going by your logic, your own list is incorrect. Windows and Mac OS would be distributions while Linux is a kernel.

Windows 7 would be NT.
OS X would be Darwin.
ArtistX would be Linux.

At 5 minutes ago, Revo357912 wrote: Well, if you wish to define it this way, then Windows 7 is not an operating system, since it is only a built upon version of the DOS system. All software comes from a source.

Windows 7 is based off of the NT kernel. Not DOS.

The main reason Linux or it's distros isn't too popular is because the people who tend to promote it, even if its useful, do so in a way the average computer user would not understand. This is why Windows is the leader of operating systems.

Another reason is the near-monopoly Microsoft had gained from around 1985 to 2005 in the home computer market. Linux does have the advantage of being used on most servers and supercomputers which are two areas Windows luckily hasn't caught hold of.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:10:12

At 3 hours ago, Revo357912 wrote: Don't forget Mac was based off the linux Kernal.

OS-X was based off of Steve Jobs' NextSTEP, which is based on BSD. BSD is much, much older than Linux.
Torvalds wasn't happy about that, though. He wanted OS-X to be based on the Linux kernel.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:11:42

At 3 minutes ago, Stevenscar wrote: OS X would be Darwin.

False, Darwin is an open source OS made by Apple, it is a combination of the XNU microkernel and the BSD monolithic kernel.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:18:21

At 7 minutes ago, SpaceWhale wrote: Wow, this looks really cool! I'm gonna download it now, and I'd totally get the CD if I had money in my PayPal right now.

ok, if you need any help with installation, feel free to post it here. Also, the cd website uses Google checkout, not paypal.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:20:18

At 9 minutes ago, Wolfos wrote:
At 3 hours ago, Revo357912 wrote: Don't forget Mac was based off the linux Kernal.
OS-X was based off of Steve Jobs' NextSTEP, which is based on BSD. BSD is much, much older than Linux.
Torvalds wasn't happy about that, though. He wanted OS-X to be based on the Linux kernel.

Forgot about BSD, thanks for the correction

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 17:43:21

At 8 minutes ago, Conal wrote: That looks really interesting, if only I had the money to put it on a system.

Its ok, you don't need money. You can install it alongside windows on the same computer.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 18:16:50

I really hope you people aren't actually wasting your PayPal money on this gay-ass Linux distrobution, when you can download Ubuntu for fucking free and install the same shit.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 18:48:36

At 29 minutes ago, Fluttershy wrote: I really hope you people aren't actually wasting your PayPal money on this gay-ass Linux distrobution, when you can download Ubuntu for fucking free and install the same shit.

This Linux is also free, you only have to donate if you want to. Here's the link for the free download in case anyone else is confused.
http://www.artistx.org/site3/download.html
Read people.
And it would take a long time to download all this unto ubuntu. I know because I have ubuntu, and am using it now.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 19:50:21

At 1 hour ago, Revo357912 wrote: Read people.

This is Newgrounds, we don't really do that here.

Also this is very intriguing. I noticed you had a streaming suite of programs. What kind of capabilities does the suite provide?

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 19:58:46

At 8 minutes ago, Dogmeat wrote:

Also this is very intriguing. I noticed you had a streaming suite of programs. What kind of capabilities does the suite provide?

If I may ask, which suite do you refer to?

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 22:54:53

At 2 hours ago, Revo357912 wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, Dogmeat wrote:

If I may ask, which suite do you refer to?

I am guessing that you are referring to the list of software in that link I posted, and if that is what you ment, then this is what offers:
Audio: Creation and editing of.
Art and photo: Creation and editing of.
Video: Editing and manipulation of.
This is just some of it.
Also, ArtistX is not my distro: I am simply promoting this free operating system because I believe it would be beneficial to NG members.

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 23:19:55

At 1 minute ago, Rhinocerider wrote: Well, this is pretty cool, I like the idea. I'm not much of a developer for anything serious though, so I guess it's not for me. You mentioned that ArtistX is based off of Ubuntu 11.10 using GNOME3 or KDE. Is the distro itself any different, or is that extra 3.3GB in the install disc just pre-bundled software?

The creator states it is both Gnome and KDE. I also know he made some custom programming himself to make sure the distro works with practically any graphic card. So I would say, from what I've used it as well, about 2.8GB to 3GB is prebundelled software, while the rest is drivers, custom coding, and ubuntu (so the system itself is about 1.3GB to 1.5GB, which is pretty big in my opinion for a linux operating system). Still, I think the bundled software he included is good, much better than what came with Ubuntu Studio or Musix, and it is more time saving.

By the way, do you use Ubuntu?

BBS Signature

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 23:22:00

Seriously, this Linux distro is a piece of shit. It's worse than that purposely malware-infected distrobution of Linux made by a college professor. OP needs to go back to sucking the cocks of Microsoft executives.

Response to ArtistX Operating System 2012-03-23 23:25:28

At 1 minute ago, Fluttershy wrote: Seriously, this Linux distro is a piece of shit. It's worse than that purposely malware-infected distrobution of Linux made by a college professor. OP needs to go back to sucking the cocks of Microsoft executives.

You mean the one called Anonymous OS that was a copy of Backtracker and filled with mal/spyware?

Also, I can't tell if your trolling or being nice in a sarcastic way?...

BBS Signature