00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Roman units still original?

941 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Roman units still original? 2012-02-17 17:51:43

So I can't give a lot of details away right now, mostly because most are rough ideas, but i'm working on a story caste in a Roman Empire type society and i'm curious whether or not using Roman military titles (Legions, Cohorts, Centurions) for the army would seem overdone. I've seen it done a lot lately in games like Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, and Mass Effect 3, but it's an idea I really like and that I think works well. I'd just like to get some more opinions on whether this idea still works, or if it's been done so much that it's not even mildly interesting anymore.

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-17 21:23:02

At 3 hours ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: So I can't give a lot of details away right now, mostly because most are rough ideas, but i'm working on a story caste in a Roman Empire type society and i'm curious whether or not using Roman military titles (Legions, Cohorts, Centurions) for the army would seem overdone. I've seen it done a lot lately in games like Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, and Mass Effect 3, but it's an idea I really like and that I think works well. I'd just like to get some more opinions on whether this idea still works, or if it's been done so much that it's not even mildly interesting anymore.

Well you see. If your story is targeted at people who are going to want to read about le' roman empire - then tis logical to use Roman units. Perhaps you would do well to read Simon Scarrow's series, it really is excellent.

Le book.

French Face

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-18 01:09:14

Another option is coining your own terms.

"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed." - Charlie Chaplin

"The Broken Window"

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-18 12:04:08

At 10 hours ago, BubblyMac wrote: Another option is coining your own terms.

I could, but I'd like the setting to be similar to an alternate Roman Empire and think Roman military titles would help drive it home.

Well you see. If your story is targeted at people who are going to want to read about le' roman empire - then tis logical to use Roman units. Perhaps you would do well to read Simon Scarrow's series, it really is excellent.

I'm not really sure what my target audience would be, though I suppose I should mention that my story is for a webcomic I hope to make some day. I suppose I should look into what kind of people read comics like The Meek and Lackadaisy.

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-18 19:27:02

At 1 day ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: i'm curious whether or not using Roman military titles (Legions, Cohorts, Centurions) for the army would seem overdone.

Pick some of the lesser unit types from here and you should be fine.

Paretorians have been used quite a bit, so steer clear of them.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-19 02:10:02

I think you could put a unique spin on the theme by researching the structure of the roman military and being faithful to it. The games you mentioned all just pay lip service by plugging in some roman names. I think if you go that extra mile you'll add a sense of authenticity that could make your work shine.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-19 10:39:47

At 15 hours ago, Coop wrote:
At 1 day ago, DirtyMeatball wrote: i'm curious whether or not using Roman military titles (Legions, Cohorts, Centurions) for the army would seem overdone.

That's gonna be useful as hell, thanks.

I might have to end up using Praetorians anyways at least in a minor part since they're the emperor's guards.

At 8 hours ago, Jercurpac wrote:
I think you could put a unique spin on the theme by researching the structure of the roman military and being faithful to it. The games you mentioned all just pay lip service by plugging in some roman names. I think if you go that extra mile you'll add a sense of authenticity that could make your work shine.

Yeah, that's my plan. I'd like to do my best to recreate the Roman empire in an alternate timeline and new setting, so accurate titling for military units is a bit of a must have.

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-23 03:13:30

If you want to go all the way, I could translate your story into Latin for you! Just kidding, but if you want any help with the stuff, I have an excellent 2 years of Latin experience (granted long behind me, at least seemingly). Well, I honestly think it's an okay idea, and would like to see your finished product. Reading your post gave me an idea you could use: a group of maverick Romans adopting revolutionary fighting styles, oddly similar to modern-day squad tactics....

I do all my own stunts.

~Anabioo~

My super-interesting blog

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-23 11:26:15

At 4 days ago, DirtyMeatball wrote:
At 15 hours ago, Coop wrote:

That's gonna be useful as hell, thanks.

No problem

I might have to end up using Praetorians anyways at least in a minor part since they're the emperor's guards.

Well, you could just change the names and their meanings around. No-one need know but you. That's what's called poetic licence.

At 8 hours ago, Anabioo wrote: If you want to go all the way, I could translate your story into Latin for you! Just kidding, but if you want any help with the stuff, I have an excellent 2 years of Latin experience (granted long behind me, at least seemingly).

You could have mottos for the units, as each one would have a different saying. I've heard of a Roayl Navy Unit, whose motto is "Buggered if I know" Can you throw some light on that?

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-23 18:35:58

At 7 hours ago, Coop wrote: You could have mottos for the units, as each one would have a different saying. I've heard of a Roayl Navy Unit, whose motto is "Buggered if I know" Can you throw some light on that?

Royal navy? As in British royal navy? "Buggered if I know" is English. Not Latin. Anyway, googled it and nothing turned up. Could you be a little more specific?

I do all my own stunts.

~Anabioo~

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-24 18:20:09

At 23 hours ago, Anabioo wrote:
At 7 hours ago, Coop wrote: You could have mottos for the units, as each one would have a different saying. I've heard of a Roayl Navy Unit, whose motto is "Buggered if I know" Can you throw some light on that?
Royal navy? As in British royal navy? "Buggered if I know" is English. Not Latin. Anyway, googled it and nothing turned up. Could you be a little more specific?

No, the motto was in Latin, but when translated to English, it was "Buggered if I know"

Yes, British Royal Navy.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-02-28 00:01:10

At 3 days ago, Coop wrote: No, the motto was in Latin, but when translated to English, it was "Buggered if I know"

I think I found it (Sodomy Non Sapiens), but I don't know if it is an actual military motto. In fact, I found nothing connecting it to the military. I can't even find Sodomy in my Latin dictionary. Maybe it was a name. "Non Sapiens" would be "not [wise/sane/understanding]"

I do all my own stunts.

~Anabioo~

BBS Signature

Response to Roman units still original? 2012-03-06 06:50:22

Having a Roman undertone / theme kinda excludes being original in the first place. So, why not?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein