00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

809118566 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

London 2012 Olympics

2,232 Views | 9 Replies

London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 13:30:29

London 2012 Olympic Branding: No More Gradients

Preamble

IâEUTMm reasonably interested in the Olympic games rapidly approaching this summer. I still remember the excitement cum impatience I felt upon first hearing weâEUTMd [obnoxiously proud Brit speaking here] won the games bid. 2012 seemed a lifetime at that moment. But itâEUTMs here now.

As such, weâEUTMre beginning to see more and more promotional material released into the public domain e.g logo, mascots, advertisements and such. As a marketeer and graphic designer, the saga of London 2012âEUTMs logo has most definitely caught my attention.

The logo has been called ugly, phallic, seizure inducing, too edgy, too try hard and a myriad of other things. But iâEUTMd like to take this opportunity to stage a rebuttal.

ItâEUTMs Not Boring

Subheading is suitable for both these paragraphs and the subject as a whole

The bright colours and distinctive design of the logo definitely do stand from out itâEUTMs cliche ridden peers. ItâEUTMs both memorable and recognizable. Can anyone draw the Beijing Olympic logo from memory? Or the logo prior? DidnâEUTMt think so.

Apathetic designers and marketers are continually attacking the monotony of the status-quo; London breaks the mould.

ItâEUTMs Different

The London logo avoids all the obvious/facepalm pitfalls of current logo design. No brushstrokes. No feathered drop shadows. No mirrored reflections. No gradients. No patriotic colours. No rainbows, ribbons, landmarks, symbols of unity, maps, swooshes or globes. ItâEUTMs different.

ItâEUTMs Reproducible

Vitally important for an Olympic logo given the variety of media forms it needs to appear upon e.g application forms, receipts, tickets, televisions, websites, posters etc.

Aside from the kerning and x-width of âEUoeLondonâEU inflating when sloppily rendered for the web (most notably the initial BBC reproduction that ended up on all websites critiquing the logo), itâEUTMs good to see a logo thatâEUTMs so easily printable, broadcastable, embroiderable and moldable.

Think of how horrible this Chicago Olympic logo conceptwould look when itâEUTMs process-printed-from-a-register with a 100 line screen on a McDonalds cup. The London logo works both in colour and B&W.

ItâEUTMs Flexible

The logo is available in a variety of colour combinations, shapes and patterns, keeping the logo fresh upon each viewing but coherently consistent. This is a godsend for corporate partners needing to incorporate London branding within their own.

ItâEUTMs Simple

âEUoeI could have drawn that/done betterâEU is a common insult of the London logo. Ignoring the fact that genius/creativity are required for creation not reproduction, some of the greatest logos of all time involve merely two to four lines (Christian cross, Mercedes etc.).

-Rant Ends-

What are your thoughts on the London Olympic logo?

London 2012 Olympics

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 13:31:57

I like it?

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 13:34:43

Oh ffs, for whatever reason the markup of the subheadings had fucked up all the "It's"s.

Sigh

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 14:03:37

i still remember how the flag and or torch was handed of to the receiver for the London Olympics at the former one..
he looked like he had just got out of the pub, had his hands in his pockets, and hair not neatly combed.. and here are the givers, who are trim, cut, smiling, professional, and almost perfect.. handing the symbol of humanities greatness to a slob..
it was a highly disappointing time
and he was fat to

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 17:38:51

Forgot to include in OP:

Its The Basis For A Graphic System

Hallmark/Mega-Events such as the Olympics require masses of signage, identification, oranmentation and architectue (both permanent and temporary). The London logo and it's associated colours, shapes, type and patterns are the perfect foundation for some fantastic signage, event icons, banners, tickets, uniforms and merchandising etc.

You can say goodbye to Union Jack bric-a-brac

Its Timeless

Complaints about the sources of inspiration of the logo range from "Never Mind the Bollocks" to Tangrams to 80's new wave to MTV. Some said it's "too current" and would look dated by 2012. Others say it's too futuristic or modern.

But in truth, all design is influenced by previous design. This design manages to rise above it's influence, yet remains simple enough to stand on its own.

It's British

By far the most prominent names within British design are Neville Brody and Peter Saville. Without being a direct reguritation, the 2012 logo is evocative of their work and everything great about the United Kingdom.

London 2012 Olympics

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 18:48:16

At 5 hours ago, WaterShake wrote: What are your thoughts on the London Olympic logo?

I share Jeff's sentiments on the matter:

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 18:53:13

At 3 minutes ago, liljim wrote:
At 5 hours ago, WaterShake wrote: What are your thoughts on the London Olympic logo?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/382869

Alas, the Achilles heel of my argument ;-(

sight

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 18:54:00

I think you make a good case for it, and have one me over. It's as nice a logo as i could wish for!

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 21:47:58

At 2 hours ago, liljim wrote: I share Jeff's sentiments on the matter:

Very this.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to London 2012 Olympics 2012-02-15 21:50:38

At 3 hours ago, liljim wrote:

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw the logo.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,

and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

BBS Signature