00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

You know those terms of service?

772 Views | 16 Replies

You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:02:59

You know those terms of service you see on every site that sells products and says that they're not responsible for shit &c. That is, if you actually bother to ream them? I've actually found a site, here, whose terms of service are, well, great. It makes me feel respect for the person that wrote it. I don't know; I just feel that way when I read them.

You know those terms of service?

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:12:16

#1 Lie in the World: "I have Read the Terms of Service"
I don't think people even bother to click on the hyperlink that leads to the TOS.

"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE, LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL, MY ANGER "

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:13:11

At 2/5/12 02:12 PM, Akkere wrote: #1 Lie in the World: "I have Read the Terms of Service"
I don't think people even bother to click on the hyperlink that leads to the TOS.

I do it occasionally when I'm bored. Not often, but I do it. The only time I did read a TOS when prompted was when my PS3 needed an update. It was late that night.

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:16:22

At 2/5/12 02:13 PM, letiger wrote:
At 2/5/12 02:12 PM, Akkere wrote: #1 Lie in the World: "I have Read the Terms of Service"
I do it occasionally when I'm bored. Not often, but I do it. The only time I did read a TOS when prompted was when my PS3 needed an update. It was late that night.

I only do it if its from a company that has a bit of a shady/less-trustworthy reputation. Like, if I ever wanted to get software from Apple (which I've never done) I'd definitely read it.
And then you have Google which you can kind of trust right away.

Especially if they announce a major change in privacy policy, something most companies don't do outside of "We have new TOS, click the checkbox if you agree"

"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE, LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL, MY ANGER "

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:17:49

I'm only concerned about the terms of service if something is going to cost me.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:18:25

If you didn't click my link, the guy posted, basically, his TL;DR version near the bottom.

The Bottom Line

If you're happy, I'm happy.

If you're not happy, I'll do everything I can to put things right.

It's a simple philosophy.

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:24:55

At 2/5/12 02:02 PM, letiger wrote: You know those terms of service you see on every site that sells products and says that they're not responsible for shit &c.

As far as I know:
The funny thing is that while they may write that down, it is questionable whether they really aren't responsible and won't be held responsible. I've read about numerous law suits where the customer won because the terms of service were unclear, weren't in agreement with federal law or even that they couldn't expect the customer to read such long pieces of text.

The bottom line always remains that when you buy a product, they have to send it to you and it has to be exactly the product that they're describing on their site. They can write down "The product may differ from the description and you can't get a refund if it does" in the terms of service all they want, but they should still refund your money if that's the case.

So I seldom read them, but I only buy things from sites that I deem trustworthy anyway.

Those terms of service are nice by the way. I would indeed trust them more if they keep it simple and personal like that.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:28:22

At 2/5/12 02:18 PM, letiger wrote: If you didn't click my link, the guy posted, basically, his TL;DR version near the bottom.

Brilliant. I didn't click the link, but I read it via your picture. However, that TL;DR version is great. Kudos to this guy.

Fudge dapping.

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:37:11

At 2/5/12 02:24 PM, Auz wrote: As far as I know:
The funny thing is that while they may write that down, it is questionable whether they really aren't responsible and won't be held responsible. I've read about numerous law suits where the customer won because the terms of service were unclear, weren't in agreement with federal law or even that they couldn't expect the customer to read such long pieces of text.

This is true, an obscene amount of text and a checkbox don't magically clear you of any responsibility.

For the guy's terms and conditions, personally would have included a few lines stating that I wouldn't take any responsibility from damage incurred via pre-existing medical conditions or generally fucking around with my products.

If you're dealing in consumables it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 14:57:17

I'd totally buy this guy a beer.

If I wasn't 13.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 15:01:54

Seems like a cool guy, but I don't want him emailing me with special offers.

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 15:29:05

Heh, I'd actually buy from a guy like that.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 15:52:47

At 2/5/12 03:01 PM, MaartenC wrote: Seems like a cool guy, but I don't want him emailing me with special offers.

If you don't want him to, he won't. He even says that.

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 16:48:19

I hate TOS they always use big words and loopholes to cover their asses in case something happenes to you while using their shit

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 16:56:50

ToS: tl;dr

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-05 17:09:53

At 2/5/12 03:52 PM, letiger wrote:
At 2/5/12 03:01 PM, MaartenC wrote: Seems like a cool guy, but I don't want him emailing me with special offers.
If you don't want him to, he won't. He even says that.

I saw that, but I have bad experiences with unchecking ~5 hidden options about contact.

Response to You know those terms of service? 2012-02-06 03:59:00

At 2/5/12 05:11 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote: holy shit it's letiger

also nobody ever reads the ToS no matter if it's just one sentence or one novel filled with legal bullshit

I read them.

Your statement is invalid.

BBS Signature