00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cementtt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ate a wild mushroom/lesson

8,582 Views | 37 Replies

Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 00:32:57

Myself would say, me personally I am pretty knowledgeable in terms of mushrooms and fungi. I take a spore print, (safest way) and check,study,research. Until I am one hundred percent certain of what I have. Remember, a spore print, is the result of taking a mushroom cap and placing it gill down unto paper, a glass cup put on top will prevent the spores from fleeting. As always, "white and white aint right" which means, A white mushroom, with a white spore print COULD KILL YOU!! It will likely be the deadly Amanita.

I say use, black paper. Cause how else are you going too see a white spore print. Now, the most deadly species of mushroom. From a few which I will show, and tell you, are. The Galarina species of which are G. autumnalis, G. oregonensis, G. unicolor, and G. venenata and "probably more" these fall under a title also known as "little brown mushroom" aka LBM's which are hard too identify small brown mushrooms. Remember when I said, white and white aint right. Well, this also apply's to LBM's.

The spore print is brown, and the mushroom orange to various orangish colors. It is commonly mistaken for a Gymnopilus species which contain the hallucinogen psilocybin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerina

Another species, Remember when I said "white and white aint right" I am referring too the (Destroying Angel) a very toxic mushroom of which is part of the Amanita family. This is the most common, mushroom of which kills. Mistaken for puffballs, or edible species, even a beginner however should know the difference. White gills, white cap/stem. White spore print, is a clear indicator that you have this mushroom or Amanita.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroying_
angel

Mushroom, poisoning is not fun, if you eat a deadly mushroom. The fatal signs will not show, till three plus days. You get sick, upset stomach cramping, nausea,vomiting at the first couple hours you ingest said mushroom. Akin to radiation sickness, there is a one too two day period of feeling better. But in reality, the toxins have already been absorbed in the first few hours, and is now killing your liver and kidney's of which most likely will fail in the two to three days. Followed by death if no treatment is seeked within the week.

All I present, is useful information, and a few pictures of a tasty wild mushroom that I love too eat. But, I want you, the USER too do some research, of characteristics of Agaricus Xanthodermus and toxic species. TO KNOW which can be edible, and harmful. This may sound like school work, but mushroom identification. Is a pleasing hobby.

Now, with all the seriousness pre-disposed, I present too you, Agaricus sp of which only xanthodermus (Agaricus Xanthodermus) is mildly toxic, "gives you cramps and gas" which species (sp) do I present? Well, is it Xanthodermus? No, cause if it was. It would show "something of interest" at the stem, and base of stem. (tell me what it is) so I know that you studied ;)

I present a edible Agaricus, or commonly known as, horse mushroom, meadow mushroom. It is quite tasty and strong flavored. I collected and baked these with some tomato sauce, salsa and cheese on the cap. Kind of like a pizza bagel deal, quite scrumptious.

Pm me if you would like to know more about "other mushrooms"

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 00:33:59

Spore print

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 00:35:05

Poking and winking back at me

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 00:36:11

The pizza bagel deal :D And look what I did too the stem...Why did I do that? What was I looking for?

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 01:04:55

At 1/5/12 12:39 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: So this isn't a thread about you eating wild mushrooms, getting hgh, wandering into the forest, and the lesson you learned after?
awww...

Nope, more of a lesson too learn, what "Not" too eat. If you go about looking for (magic mushrooms)

I would have made the thread about psilocybe cinctulus/cubensis if I "wanted too go there" ;) There are a lot of lookalikes, and the best way to be sure of what you are about too put into your body, is with a spore print.

Like I said, people looking for "laughing gyms" sometimes eat the galarina. And they may grow next too each other.

This is a mature/older specimen of edible Agaricus. Don't quote me, but any jet black spore print, is MOST likely not gonna kill you. However, there is one species that has a black spore print. Which you should not drink with booze for about a week, makes your heart beat/body sweat the more you drink. This goes on for a week! Fascinating....

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 01:19:53

This is psilocybe cubensis, one of Texas most famous "magic mushrooms" aka "goldcaps" "cubes"

Look at it, blue bruising stem, black veil, cap had a partial golden top, with nipple. Gills should be dark, and most importantly..

also leaves a, purplish black spore print. I found quite a few of these at a "relatives" *ranch*

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 01:41:02

Some "gold caps"

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 05:37:09

This is fucking awesome. Great topic.

I've hunted mushrooms with buddies a few times before. We used to trespass onto cow fields and everything.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 06:04:59

Yeah, This is a great topic, hopefully this thread can spread some useful information as opposed to the typical ignorance.

Also, When were those pictures taken? Obviously you didn't find those in the middle of winter.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 06:34:32

At 1/5/12 05:37 AM, life wrote: This is fucking awesome. Great topic.

I've hunted mushrooms with buddies a few times before. We used to trespass onto cow fields and everything.

It's funny because mushrooms and old dried up manure look the same from a distance.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 07:33:26

Last year I was looking for hallucinogenic mushrooms in the wild but didn't find a close enough match. I picked a bunch of amanita muscaria instead, which might not be as good as the typical ones. Did nothing and tasted terrible. (might've cooked them too much)
As far as just eating them for cuisine I have no experience since I don't like the taste of mushrooms.. but I do like picking edible plants. It's common here for people to pick fiddleheads every year, they taste so good. Also, the inside of the base of cattails tastes like cucumbers.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 09:17:23

Wow! This is really interesting...
You now made me very interested on fungi.
So uh question, where did you get those mushrooms?
Do you eat/cook the edible ones youve collected?
Whats the study of mushrooms/fungi called?

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 10:51:24

thanks for the massive useless info my friend

well not really useless

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 10:54:17

If I eat them, will they get me high?

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 11:03:20

No thanks, I prefer getting them at the grocery store instead. And if I'm stuck in the wild I'll pick fruits off trees and plants and trap birds and fish.

Mushrooms; I'm not a big fan of them unless they're on pizza.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 11:06:40

I would never eat one off the ground. I've recently just gotten over my fear and distaste for mushrooms in the first place, which makes it scary for me to even go near a regular backyard mushroom. Not worth the risk, I'll stay with the ones I can get at the grocery store or a restaurant.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 11:13:41

This will come in handy if I become homeless again.

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 12:22:14

At 1/5/12 06:04 AM, Intelligentposter wrote: Yeah, This is a great topic, hopefully this thread can spread some useful information as opposed to the typical ignorance.

Also, When were those pictures taken? Obviously you didn't find those in the middle of winter.

These were taken towards the fall of last year. Agaricus, from what I seen. Grows year round, but they fruit better in the summer. I usually leave a couple caps to spread the spores for them too keep producing this tasty mushroom. Agaricus is a funny species, you can dry them but it makes the taste a little to much. You usually have to eat them fairly quickly, so I saute them and freeze them for later.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 12:30:43

I also gather mushrooms in autum. Scotland is a really good place for them.

As i understand most mushrooms acctually grow around the base of the trees. The common Chanterelle grows around the base of the Birch tree often around the area where the water drips of the leaves. Shits so good on a slice of toast.

Another common one is the Hedgehog Mushroom not as good as the chanterelle but still quite tasty.

The rarest mushroom i have ever found is the Saffron Milkcap aka in Lactarius deliciosus latin. Without a doubt the best thing i have ever tasted the Flavour was so intense. When i fryed it a strong orange colour exploded out into the butter, words cannot describe the taste.

All my tricks were pasted down from my dad and my grandfather so i know my area really well and i know the best mushroom spots. My advice is to get knowalge about the trees and the diffrent mushrooms that grow locally. Go walks and find good spots as it will always be a nice spot ever season.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 12:36:50

I only eat shittake mushrooms. Or portebello, and truffles are mushrooms if I'm not mistaken.
I don't want to get poisoned, so I go with safe ones, or try not to eat them.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 12:37:02

At 1/5/12 12:30 PM, gavkay21 wrote: I also gather mushrooms in autum. Scotland is a really good place for them.

Scotland is a very good place for mushrooms :D Almost envious, glad too see a fellow shroom hunter.

Once it rains, let's go get some more!

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 12:55:07

At 1/5/12 12:35 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 1/5/12 12:36 AM, bgraybr wrote: Am I'm a pussy if fear of a poisonous death is keeping me from trying this (plain edible, not the hallucinogenic kind)?

I buy mushroom at store.
This. It scares me. Two can be super similar with maybe one physical difference and one kills you and the other is edible.

Theres only about two or three i know off that are deadly poisionous. Some are not edible or will give you a stomach ache or make you trip balls. If you know the types your looking for your 99% safe.
Look at this one, its a chanterelle it has a very unique taste and look.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 14:54:10

At 1/5/12 12:55 PM, gavkay21 wrote:

Have you ever tasted, chicken of the woods? It is another very identifiable mushroom, which some say taste like Chicken! I find it particularly meaty, and it picks apart and can be prepared like poultry!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus

L. sulphureus has been shown to have some amazing medicinal quality's, has the potent ability to inhibit staph bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus), as well as moderate ability to inhibit the growth of Bacillus subtilis

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 18:39:26

At 1/5/12 03:28 PM, daethdrain wrote: Do different mushrooms grow in different areas? Not different regions. I mean, in the shade, an open field, along a water source? I seriously wouldn't know. Also is the land that you harvest mushrooms on like that? Bit of trees, maybe a stream?

Yes, with absolution, certain mushrooms grow on dead trees/limbs. Some grow out in the meadow of horse/cow pastures. Or, out in the woods near shade/water enriched environments.

I harvest my mushrooms from the cow pasture, the soil and sod are natural, better than the locations at chernobal or the city with, by which are oil/contaminated soil. Particularly, the more natural the soil, the better the mushroom. After all, fungi is made of mostly 75 percent water.

So, too answer your question in broad terms. Yes, they DO grow in all kinds of different areas. Some species, grow in all areas, so make sure you know what you find. This is why I stress so much about spore print/identification. This is such a fun hobby, I would suggest you go hunting JUST to identify, for your first time. There are a bunch of resources online, that has professional mycologist who can narrow you chance down to almost 0. Remember, bring a notebook, write the details, location ect..

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 19:10:38

I have a load of Mushroom pictures I've taken on facebook just for the hell of it. Maybe I'll post some later on in this thread :3

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 20:07:39

At 1/5/12 07:10 PM, Wegra wrote: I have a load of Mushroom pictures I've taken on facebook just for the hell of it. Maybe I'll post some later on in this thread :3

Please do, I bet you probably do not have a spore print, but...let's see what you got!

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 20:14:54

Which ones will get me high?!

Oh and my uncle lives in Oregon and goes morel mushroom hunting when they're wild and all over the place!

BBS Signature

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 21:19:41

At 1/5/12 08:14 PM, DancingTomato wrote: Which ones will get me high?!

Oh and my uncle lives in Oregon and goes morel mushroom hunting when they're wild and all over the place!

The Psilocybe species, and Gymnopilus, but. I wouldn't even mess with Gymns, like I said. People eat Galarina thinking they are laughing gyms
so stick with psilocybe.

Psilocybes grow all over the world, the most common are, Panaeolus Cinctulus and Psilocybe Cyanescens. Cyanescens (which I call pan cyans) have purplish too blackish brown spore print. While Cinctulus "blue meanies" has a jet black spore print. Both stain blue at stem and end of stem. *where plucked*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_c yanescens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolus_c inctulus

http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-psil ocybin-mushrooms-grow-wild-in-my-area

Find your area and tell us which species grow wild in your state/country.

So far, I have offered a wealth of information. Everyone should have the questions too there answers. Otherwise, post or pm if you see
something not listed. :D

Below, are wild :"cubes" I have (collected) for spores. ;)

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 21:24:10

I prefer the mushrooms of the Glowing variety. Glow on Glow, it's a no-go.

Response to Ate a wild mushroom/lesson 2012-01-05 21:35:17

At 1/5/12 09:24 PM, SolidToad wrote: I prefer the mushrooms of the Glowing variety. Glow on Glow, it's a no-go.

You know that is not science fiction or Avatar, "James Cameron"

In, pure *areas* untouched by man, or wild "tropical" regions. There grows, Mycena Chlorophos which in Japan, apparently grows as well, is reported to glow just "crazy green" bio luminescent light.

I probably wouldn't eat them though lol.