00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash vs. Canvas

778 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-15 03:10:43

Has anyone tried programming something with the HTML canvas element? Do you think this will be the future of web design? I made a minesweeper port of it to try it out.

http://johnnydavidson.byethost17.com/gam es/minesweeper/

I haven't tried Adobe Edge yet, as it doesn't run on Windows XP. Has anyone tried it?

Response to Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-15 04:54:29

Hopefully... A single advertisement makes the time left on my battery go down by at least an hour.

Response to Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-15 12:40:00

html5 + js is pretty neato. i've seen its implementation stand up with flash games. and from observation only it seems some of javascript's trig/graphics functions execute much faster than flash's. plus, the images are cached by the browser so + 1

what i'm worried about with javascript is some one hacking my game; obfuscation only goes so far. html5 games require space for assets while swfs are pack-able and easily distributed.

i've always kept an open mind about flash vs html5 debate. feel free to attack any of my statements

BBS Signature

Response to Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-15 12:43:53

oh, and i like your mine sweeper game

BBS Signature

Response to Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-17 15:36:23

What I use HTML5 for is embedding Flash.

Response to Flash vs. Canvas 2011-10-23 20:58:18

Canvas has faster load times, and depending on the browser, really good caching. There is also caching at the canvas level available. I'm created an isometric rendering engine drawing from a SQL database with fog of war. Even with the map completely visible, repainting on every mouse move is fast in chrome. Would it be nice to have layering without repaint? Yes, but there are other algorithms to speed that up (which I haven't implemented since Chrome is so fast right now).

Here's the other advantage: mousewheel to zoom, click drag to pan, right click to inspect, left click to move/interact.