00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PrincessuwuParis just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ngadm 2011: Round 3

5,456 Views | 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:43:52

Welcome to the official NG Audio Deathmatch 2011 thread for the Third Round of the competition! Yes, that's right! It's finally here! Haven't heard about the NGADM? Go here), to get all the information you need about this massive contest.

So here we are after a minor delay due to the usual problems, unfortunately LiquidOoze couldn't review due to Internet Problems, so we're going to skip his reviews for this round. I'd like to say that the quality of submissions this round was higher than we could have ever expected, especially since this round was supposed to be just for fun. Unfortunately some people didn't make it, but that does not mean that they are eliminated from the competition!

Before I start posting the results for each judge, I would like to remind you all of some points:

1) Please wait until I have posted all the results before posting anything yourselves, so as to avoid unnecessary confusion. I'll be using alts due to post limit and I will give the go ahead once I have finished posting the results, so you guys can start firing away :P

2) Remember that you have 2 weeks from this point to submit your new submissions for Round 3 in this thread. DO NOT post in any other thread. Just use this one. The Full Revised schedule can be found below ;)

3) PMs will be sent to everyone linking to this thread. If you have already seen this thread, please disregard anything in the PMs which speaks about this thread.

4) Please remember that each judge is free to have their own opinion. If you disagree with any of the points mentioned in a judge's review; DO NOT start an argument in this thread. Please discuss it via PMs.

5) Read the RULES again. You never know. You might have missed something.

Also, due to the delay, the schedule has been revised and can be found below:

Round 1
Starts = 01/08/2011
Ends = 15/08/2011

Round 1 Judging
Starts = 15/08/2011
Ends = 22/08/2011

Round 2
Starts = 22/08/2011
Ends = 07/09/2011

Round 2 Judging
Starts = 07/09/2011
Ends = 15/09/2011

Bonus Round
Starts = 15/09/2011
Ends = 29/09/2011

Bonus Round Judging
Starts = 29/09/2011
Ends = 03/10/2011

Round 3
Starts = 03/10/2011
Ends = 17/10/2011

Round 3 Judging
Starts = 17/10/2011
Ends = 20/10/2011

Round 4
Starts = 20/10/2011
Ends = 03/11/2011

Round 4 Judging
Starts = 03/11/2011
Ends = 05/11/2011

Round 5
Starts = 05/11/2011
Ends = 19/11/2011

Round 5 Judging
Starts = 19/11/2011
Ends = 20/11/2011

Announcement of Winners (Doomsday)
20/11/2011

So anyway I think that's it, let the posting of the Results commence!

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:44:54

RESULTS - SUPERSTEPH54

SineRider - O, Usurper! (Remix)

SUMMARY: You're an Ambient genius.

REVIEW: This is brilliant stuff, man. It has such a different feel from the original, but still sounds Ambient and calming. Nice work!

The first thing I noticed was that you pretty much used the sound file of the original in this remix. At first I thought this would make the remix sound unoriginal and boring, since I thought it'd just be midimachine's track with some glitched drums added, although that was a big misconception. This sounds superb - it's got a much dreamier sound than the original (and I LOVE the additions you made the to melodies such as at 0:37. I can see why the progression took you a while but I can assure you that it was certainly worth it because I loved the progression. I think this is an incredibly good example of what a remix should be - well-thought out, reminiscent of the original but has its own new flair.

If I had anything to point out, it'd be that you used the sound file of the original file. You totally changed the mood and melodies in your remix, but you still used the original MP3. Not much of an issue though - I think more of an issue would be that I think you could've varied the sounds you used a bit more. The drum sounds were varied decently but some more pads, synths, sound effects, etc... would definitely be appreciated I think.

I'm not that much of a fan of this genre but this is pretty much my favourite remix submitted for the whole round. Very impressed!

SCORE: 9.5/10
--------------------

F-777 - Dilema - (F-777 ReMiX)

SUMMARY: Really nice!

REVIEW: You had a pretty hard song to remix - it wasn't such a long song and the melody wasn't as easy to keep track of as it could've been. However, you took the original file, and built a totally new thing out of it, and I commend you on that effort.

The progression is brilliant - that's the first thing I thought when the remix ended. You didn't have much progression to remix from the original since it was so short so you created your own structure which works very well. The intro was a real pleasure to listen to - a similar mood of the original track but with your own trancey additions. When the song takes a turn to club-like trance after the 1-minute marker it was definitely unexpected, but it fits a lot better than I thought it would, and then you go back to the relaxing mood of the intro for the outro. Very solid structure and progression. Also, I very much enjoyed the plucked synth thing you used throughout the song. It fit wonderfully in both the calm parts and the busier parts and the slight humanising you did on it was a nice touch, and the melody fits very well with the original's melody.

I've got two things that I feel need improving - one which is a nitpick and one which is a bit of a bigger problem. The nitpick is that I think the sidechain on the kick was a bit too excessive. The bigger problem is that I feel that you could've done more to make this sound more like a remix and less like a trance song with a wav file cut out from another song. If you figured out the notes of the piano or got a MIDI file then you would have more possibilites to expand on the original at your disposal, such as perhaps a piano solo with your own interpretation of the original's piano melody. There's also that rhythm that is played by the snappy percussion throughout the original with which you could've done something in this remix.

Anyway, it's an awesome track. I had a lot to say about it but I still enjoyed it from beginning to end. Brilliant work.

SCORE: 9/10
--------------------

Birdinator99 - Time's Up (Remix -- NGADM '11)

SUMMARY: Good, but not what I'd call a remix.

REVIEW: I'll admit that this is a pretty cool track! The synths sound unlike anything I've heard before and overall everything sounds cool, but unfortunately if I had to hear this without knowing it was a remix of xKore's "Time's Up", then I wouldn't have realised it was, so I can't call this a remix. And since this was a remix competition, that's a bit of a problem.

I'm going to start by saying that this sounds so unique. The synths sound weird but cool - massive props for making some of them yourself. You mentioned in the Author's Comments that you experimented a lot in this track and I've got to say that it does sound quite experimental. I think a lot of your experiments were a success because the sidechaining was a nice touch and the pitch-shifting-as-part-of-a-transition-r ather-than-a-part-of-a-solo part sounded awesome :P. I also like the spacey effects you used in the song, especially towards the end. I did enjoy listening to them. Piano sounded neat too :3. Mixing isn't the best, but you're improving in that department, and you're certainly leagues better than I am at it.

My big gripe with this track is that it's not much of a remix. I can't even recognise any of the original over here, and I've listened to each original song quite a few times before listening to the remixes so if after I listen to the original many times, listen to the remix and don't recognise anything from the original, clearly there's something wrong. I'd imagine it's not easy to remix a track from xKore, but you had a lot of room to add some melodies from the original and make them stand out a lot. You also had the option of asking xKore for the MIDI file which would've probably helped. Unfortunately I'm not seeing this as much of a remix. Also, the kick was a bit weak - might want to work on that! Finally, there was a pretty awkward transition to the outro.

In general it's a nice track, even though it's hard for me to relate it to xKore's original version. Decent work though.

SCORE: 7.5/10
--------------------

Results continue in next post...

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:46:20

RESULTS - SUPERSTEPH54 Continued...

ProudAardvark - NP - Logical Defiance Remix

SUMMARY: An interesting take.

REVIEW: It's quite an interesting remix of a soundscape. I never thought someone could add a beat to a soundscape like LogicalDefiance's and actually make it sound good. Nice work!

Both tracks have an ominous, scary mood, although this sounds considerably more unique. It starts off pretty suspenseful but then an incredibly unexpected beat comes in and the track takes a new direction. I'm hearing some of the string melodies from the original too and I think you did a good job in giving this elements from the original while still keeping it sounding different. The brass notes fading in at certain points in the song were used sparsely but were a good addition to the suspense. I particularly like the way you ended the song. Very fitting!

That said, I don't like the structure of the song. Sure, there's a bit of a buildup at the beginning, but other than that there's very little progression and about halfway through I heard all there was to hear because from then on it was pretty much the same beat and the same mood till the end. It feels somewhat underdeveloped and rushed, mainly during the second half of the song. Additionally, mixing-wise I think you could've thrown in a few more ambient/orchestral elements, such as maybe a fuller use of the orchestra, since the lower end seems to be dominated mostly by the percussion and there's little depth coming from any melodic element. In addition to that, the drum samples sound pretty dull.

OVerall, I love the atmosphere, the way you remixed the original, etc... it all sounds very well-produced, although it's got a bit of a way to go before it's perfect.

SCORE: 8/10
--------------------

LogicalDefiance - - LD - SatM (Requiem)

SUMMARY: Not bad, but it feels rushed.

REVIEW: This is quite a good remix! It does feel like you rushed it, but it's a pretty epic remake of a calm, laid-back song. Nice work.

First of all, I think out of all the remixes, this is the only one where I immediately noticed the original's melody. You had a pretty melody-oriented piece to remix and I'm glad you made full use of those melodies. I think your brass interpretation of the bass melody in the original was very creative and it works out well. The instrumentation is pretty typical for this genre but it all sounds good. I especially like the sound of that brass, it sounds incredible. My favourite thing about this was how you managed to make the melody of the original flow well in a totally new genre, which is something I always like to hear in remixes. Nicely done!

However, despite all that, this sounds rushed for some reason. It may be just me, although I feel that the structure is a bit half-assed. It starts pretty well and the progression is nice - when the brass comes in and plays the melody of the original's bass I admit that I was impressed, but when the choir came in the song started losing its touch. The melody at 1:19 feels very forced. And then right after this new melody was introduced, the song ends. Just like that. I think that the first section of this song has plenty of potential, but it starts getting pretty disinteresting later on. Also, I don't like the percussion much. Sounds a bit bland to me.

Recap: the creativity shows in this remix, your choice of instruments is fitting and the instruments themselves sound excellent, but despite all these good qualities, the song feels rushed, the structure is lacking, and - but this may be my personal opinion - the percussion is a bit bland. It's a creative remix, but it doesn't stand out as one of your better tracks.

--------------------

Next - Spikrodd

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:46:52

RESULTS - SPIKRODD

SineRider - O, Usurper RMX
Original: midimachine

REVIEW: In typical SR flair, you seemed to have taken something that could have easily worked on it's own (like n the original song) and made it even better. I honestly feel like 808s are the equivalent to bacon in music: add it to anything and it's awesome! You got the progresion right and it flowed better than the original in my opinion. I really don't see anything wrong with this, and I say great job on this wonderful remix!

SCORE: 9.5/10
--------------------

F-777 - Dilemma RMX
Original: aliaspharow

REVIEW: There's something about this remix that irks me to no end, whether it's the weird 'emptiness' , for the lack of a better term, in the main part of the song or iffy mixing in areas, there's something not right about it. It could use some work, but it's not bad. Doesn't really carry that emotion and lightness of the original, but it's all in good fun.

P.S. This may be a bit biased because I don't really care for trancey stuff, but I promise to keep my bias out in the main round.

--------------------

Birdinator99 - Time's Up RMX
Original: xKore

REVIEW: I gotta give you props, it's not easy to remix xKore and make it your own. Trust me, I've tried; not easy. This doesn't really sound like his song, but that's not saying it's not good; in fact it's quite good. It's got that feel of a mid-90s megadrive soundtrack almost, and is mechanical as hell. The mixing could use some work, sure, and the kick needs some punch, yeah, but I can honestly look past that because this moves me immensely. It's not a dance song by any means, but it got me grooving.

--------------------

ProudAardvark - Nocturna RMX
Original: LogicalDefiance

REVIEW: I expected a lot more out of a remix for LD's track, though this isn't what I expected to come about, it has a vibe like that of a Hans Zimmer composition if it were stripped down significantly. I would have liked more progression in the end with lots of timpani usage and other nonsense of the like that I can't think of the names of. It's not bad, I thought it was very good infact.

--------------------

LogicalDefiance - Summer at the Monastery RMX
Original: ProudAardvark

REVIEW: This was an interesting twist on the original. Where the first was like I was in Kokiri Forest, this one felt like I was marching to Sauron's Lair. It had a whimsical dark feel to it, for the lack of a better term, and took the original to new levels.

--------------------

Next - djInTheDark

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:48:24

RESULTS - DJINTHEDARK

SUMMARY: Does it justice

REVIEW: I would definitely say that this remix does the original justice in every sense of the phrase. I felt as if it almost hovered a little too close to the original and didn't become something completely new from its own thing. Nonetheless, a very nice listen and it grew quite a bit from the initial make up. Nice work.

SCORE: 8.9/10
--------------------

F-777 - Dilemma RMX

SUMMARY: A fresh take

REVIEW: This mix is deceiving in a lot of ways. I definitely didn't see the drop coming first of all, and you really gave me the impression that you were going to keep the whole take relatively mellow, even though doing either in my opinion would have worked considering the approach of the elements you toke on the original. The details seemed to be very important in the process of expounding on the original work, and you did it fabulously.

SCORE: 8.2/10
--------------------

SUMMARY: Very different indeed

REVIEW: While I prefer the direction this remix took than the one of the original, I don't think it necessarily reached its full potential. The intro and the rest of the song seemed very disconnected to me and didn't work together to mesh the two aspects of the song into each other. Had the song revolved around the emotion of one section to another, I think the structure and road map of the piece would have made more sense in the end. Great stuff.

SCORE: 7.9/10
--------------------

SUMMARY: Almost there

REVIEW: This track really has a lot to it. It kept giving me the impression it was going to reach a new height to the original work, but I never found the satisfaction I felt it wanted to provide. Though while it didn't create the image I initially imagined, the image it did create was very profound and expansive to my ears. Rather than limiting the ideas presented by the original, you seemed to have created new questions to be asked and answered.

SCORE: 7.6/10
--------------------

SUMMARY: Less is more

REVIEW: I feel that you have proven this ideal with piece. When I heard the original, I thought it to be somewhat overbearing and a little too much going on for me to comprehend and thus listen to effectively. When I heard this remix, I found it to be not simpler, but simplified. You reduced the amount of complication that I felt in the original song, and actually made it easier for me to understand in the long run. Nice work.

SCORE: 8.5/10
--------------------

Next - RobinDB

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:49:26

RESULTS - ROBINDB

REVIEW: You did a good job of keeping the character of the song intact. The progressive build of the soft drums by adding glitching was a nice touch, as was the bell-like top synth. It's like he took the sad, reflective feel of the original and added a more detailed, recollected, and solaced emotion. However, I felt that the hihat in the percussion didn't really match with the rest of the drums. Everything was tight and minimal, and then in comes the hihat, legato and smooth over the top. I would have liked to hear more ticking with the hihat, and have the hissing sound more spaced out.

--------------------

F-777 - Dilemma RMX

REVIEW: This remix added a lot of nice dynamic, and the bass I was missing in the original. But just because he didn't have the original MIDI tracks available to him doesn't mean he couldn't have written his own piano parts in to copy and match up a bit better. The dynamic contrast between the trance-ish section and the down-beat part at the end made it much more interesting to listen to. Adding a heavy, fast-paced beat added a whole new perspective to the song, but adding the relaxed section at the end saved the original emotion of the song.

SCORE: 7/10
--------------------

REVIEW: The first thing that strikes me is how radically different this remix sounds from the original. I don't actually hear much of the original. It even sounds like a new chord structure. The only tie it has to the original I've heard so far is the piano, which isn't even the same melody. The lead synth at around 2:30 doesn't match up very well with the rest of the song. This sounds less like a remix and more like a song roughly inspired by the original.

SCORE: 5/10
--------------------

REVIEW: This remix definitely didn't sound as suspenseful as the original, but did a good job of adding a more electronic beat while not defeating the "spooky" feel. The structure of the song could have gone a long way to make it much scarier. The low brass "roars" seem to be placed almost randomly. The high-pitched synth noise got a bit annoying as the song went on. The characteristics of the original are still there, but not as well used.

SCORE: 6/10
--------------------

REVIEW: This remix is well made, but just too different from the original. The original is a laid-back, trippy song with a flute duet. This remix sounds more like a suspenseful, medieval orchestration. The only similarity between the two versions is the flute melody being put into a string section instrument, which doesn't match well with the rest of the song. The original is there, but it lacks any of the original feel.

SCORE: 6/10
--------------------

Next - Score Summary and Pairings

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:50:03

SCORE SUMMARY

SineRider vs midimachine

SineRider -- AVERAGE SCORE = 8.98

midimachine -- DIDN'T SUBMIT
--------------------
WINNER = SineRider
--------------------

F-777 vs aliaspharow

F-777 -- AVERAGE SCORE = 7.93

aliaspharow -- DIDN'T SUBMIT
--------------------
WINNER = F-777
--------------------

Birdinator99 vs xKore

Birdinator99 -- AVERAGE SCORE = 7.10

xKore -- DIDN'T SUBMIT
--------------------
WINNER = Birdinator99
--------------------

LogicalDefiance vs ProudAardvark

LogicalDefiance -- AVERAGE SCORE = 7.75

ProudAardvark -- AVERAGE SCORE = 7.65
--------------------
WINNER = LogicalDefiance
--------------------

=============
WINNER OF BONUS ROUND = SineRider (rounds of applause please!)
=============

PAIRINGS

SineRider vs midimachine
F-777 vs aliaspharow
Birdinator99 vs xKore
LogicalDefiance vs ProudAardvark
--------------------

So there we go! The Bonus Round is over and Round 3 has now begun. The 8 participants, regardless of whether they won or lost during the Bonus Round, must get a song done before the 17th of October, 1:00 PM EST (NG Time). See you then!

P.S. You can post now :P

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 12:55:41

It's a shame that almost half didn't make it since I thought this was a pretty good bonus round criteria. Also man, my reviews look far too big compared to the others'. I talk too much.

Anyhow, good luck this round, everyone!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 13:07:58

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 13:49:02

Man, it was such a close battle between me and midimachine ;)

Thanks for the kind reviews, reviewers.

Am I up against midimachine again though? I'm a bit confused how this bonus round worked...

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 14:08:22

Man when I first joined this thing I had no idea the reviews would be so detailed!
This is really freaking cool im really enjoying this.
Congrats to Sinerider as well, well won!

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 16:24:55

Nice job there, SineRider!

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 16:37:18

Next time Gadget.... N-e-x-t t-i-m-e.....

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 17:52:54

At 10/3/11 01:49 PM, SineRider wrote: Man, it was such a close battle between me and midimachine ;)

Thanks for the kind reviews, reviewers.

Am I up against midimachine again though? I'm a bit confused how this bonus round worked...

Yeah, the pairings of the bonus round have been used again for this round. So now you're against midimachine again, but this time without any bonus criteria involved obviously.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 21:17:13

OKAY I won't forget to do something for this one because I really don't have anything else going on haha,

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-03 23:00:02

At 10/3/11 12:55 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: It's a shame that almost half didn't make it since I thought this was a pretty good bonus round criteria. Also man, my reviews look far too big compared to the others'. I talk too much.

Anyhow, good luck this round, everyone!

I like them long, intelligent, and robust.

keep at it you champion judger you.

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-08 14:18:45

Got about 2 minutes of a track done. Hoping to finish this weekend

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-09 00:21:50

I'm pretty ahead of schedule -- should be able to post a WIP in a few days.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-09 04:41:33

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-09 04:51:28

At 10/9/11 04:41 AM, midimachine wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 49846
aaaah i'm first oh god oh man

Whoa, oh god, dude. No pressure. Calm down. Calm. Down.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-09 05:00:16

i am in a world of shit

Ngadm 2011: Round 3

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 09:21:34

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 09:53:56

At 10/10/11 09:21 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote: God I just can't stop writing epic orchestral music these days. Anyways GL Mr.Potter
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 50056

Logical, I love you and want to have epic orchestral babies with you :3

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 10:00:04

xKurr will win. Troloololo

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 15:02:53

At 10/10/11 09:53 AM, Echo wrote:
At 10/10/11 09:21 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote: God I just can't stop writing epic orchestral music these days. Anyways GL Mr.Potter

Aww they would be all big and cuddly and have spikes all over them.

You can play with my mallets and bell tree anyday Echo =P

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 18:09:47

Logical i have RAM envy :(

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-10 19:18:13

At 10/10/11 06:09 PM, ProudAardvark wrote: Logical i have RAM envy :(

I can't run a 10gig project, I had to export and bounce to a new project about every 1.5 minutes of composition. So really it's 3 projects, two 4 gig projects and a two gig one. Hence, no need for envy

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-11 10:59:15

At 10/10/11 03:02 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 10/10/11 09:53 AM, Echo wrote:
Aww they would be all big and cuddly and have spikes all over them.

You can play with my mallets and bell tree anyday Echo =P

In all srsness, I want to collab with you and make epic orchestral babies when the competition is done :3

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-11 13:34:25

At 10/11/11 10:59 AM, Echo wrote:
In all srsness, I want to collab with you and make epic orchestral babies when the competition is done :3

Sure I'm always down for collabs. Just remind me when the time comes

Response to Ngadm 2011: Round 3 2011-10-11 13:42:16

At 10/11/11 01:34 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 10/11/11 10:59 AM, Echo wrote:
Sure I'm always down for collabs. Just remind me when the time comes

Sure Will!

And our babies will be called: East, West, Quantum, Leap, Symphonic and Orchestra! :D