00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YendorNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Piano advice?

1,053 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Piano advice? 2011-08-19 15:51:40

Hi, thanks for reading first of all but I'm struggling with this.

I can play classical pieces no problem but i need help when composing music. I've made several attempts and I just can't seem to actually like anything I play enough to record it. Any piano players out there with advice on how to go about starting a piece?

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 16:25:17

Use simple chord progressions, and improvise ontop of them with pentatonic scales till you come up with a theme you like, then flesh out the theme with blue notes and 7th's. :D Make sense, or should I explain more? Im not saying this is the only way or the best way, but it works for me when I'm trying to make music that people can empathize with.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 16:29:12

Nothing you play will ever be as good as classical music, face it. Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Schubert they are out of reach. For all of us. Especially me.

My advice would be to actually DO record something you play or start writing down scores. No matter how bad. If you have a well developed taste in music, you will spend decades to reach the level you try to achieve. But if you record something and listen to it later, you will find out, where you have to improve and make it better the next time.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 16:53:49

Why can't people with giant man tits make good classical music? Because their saggy sacks get in the way of the fingers?

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 16:57:33

At 8/19/11 04:43 PM, MillsApparatus wrote:
Well, maybe for YOU. Not everyone is stuck using simple 3 chord pentatonic melodies. Some of us are conservatory graduates with years of experience in composition, performance and historical interpretation. With that, it's quite easy to compose in the style of the classics, romantics, impressionists, etc. (unless you have giant man tits). It just takes practice and harmony knowledge in order to decipher why those pieces sound the way they do, and how you too can create that effect.

Wow, sorry dude. You're right. I listened to some of your songs and you can really keep up with classic masterpieces. The years on conservatory really show in your case, quite unlike some modern composers who think they know shit! I'm glad you for one are able to pull music out of its 3 chord pentatonic melody pattern. What you composed is, well - like your signature and your profile say- genius. screw the fact that you loop 3 second bits for minutes on and on. They are all incredible and deserve constant repetition. If only people realized what a genius you are, you'd be rich in no time, but wait, I know that you're not in it for the money, right? Music's about expressing yourself and nothing else. Oh how I feel your deep sould in all your songs...

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 16:59:12

That got personal fast.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 18:23:05

At 8/19/11 05:45 PM, MillsApparatus wrote:
What I create is true music and simply put, genius. I have 2 degrees from Juilliard in piano and guitar and a master's in audio engineering from UCLA. I know what I'm doing. I have the credentials and I have the experience. I've played since I was 4 and surpassed all of my teachers within at least two years. I received some of the highest honors and scholarships that Juilliard could offer me.

Dude, I already said it: It really shows!

There is some sort of conspiracy on this site keeping me down.

I honestly don't know what to say to that. So I'll just agree.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 18:27:09

What I create is true music and simply put, genius. I have 2 degrees from Juilliard in piano and guitar and a master's in audio engineering from UCLA. I know what I'm doing. I have the credentials and I have the experience. I've played since I was 4 and surpassed all of my teachers within at least two years. I received some of the highest honors and scholarships that Juilliard could offer me.

And still you find the time of producing all that music you upload here and being on this forum instead of giving concerts and producing for sophisticated lovers of "Neue Musik" ... I blame the Chinese!

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 18:32:56

whoops! sorry for the strange posting, my internets is messed up a bit.... said the first post wasnt posted!

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 19:30:34

At 8/19/11 06:27 PM, JPRixdorfer wrote:
And still you find the time of producing all that music you upload here and being on this forum instead of giving concerts and producing for sophisticated lovers of "Neue Musik" ... I blame the Chinese!

You must be new to the internet. Or dumb... Possibly both. Mostly ignorant. I shouldn't need to tell you, so I'll let you figure it out on your own. It's a better learning experience this way.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-19 20:30:02

At 8/19/11 07:30 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: You must be new to the internet. Or dumb... Possibly both. Mostly ignorant. I shouldn't need to tell you, so I'll let you figure it out on your own. It's a better learning experience this way.

Or just put them both on probation. Problem solved.

OT: I think the main problem is that just being great at playing piano doesn't teach you how to write for different instruments. Pianos and violins are two completely different instruments - they complement each other beautifully - but, being so different, they require completely different writing.

So, to the OP: perhaps you're writing for piano, and then setting it to different instruments, and not liking the results?

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-20 13:08:34

At 8/19/11 03:51 PM, denverbroncos59 wrote: Hi, thanks for reading first of all but I'm struggling with this.

I can play classical pieces no problem but i need help when composing music. I've made several attempts and I just can't seem to actually like anything I play enough to record it. Any piano players out there with advice on how to go about starting a piece?

Download the flstudio demo, try to compose a piano piece via the piano roll. You will quickly find that without the physical limitations of your fingers and muscle memory, you have many more options as to what you can write and produce. It's up to you to make sure the song is still possible to play though, that is, if you want to record it afterwards or you want your render to be somewhat believable.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-20 13:46:11

At 8/19/11 07:30 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: You must be new to the internet. Or dumb... Possibly both. Mostly ignorant. I shouldn't need to tell you, so I'll let you figure it out on your own. It's a better learning experience this way.

On the flipside, it's possible you're getting trolled really hard... and when you're not new to the internet you must always be aware of how easily people can get trolled :) The guy's just kidding around.

Response to Piano advice? 2011-08-22 15:11:06

At 8/20/11 01:08 PM, aDeafBat wrote:
At 8/19/11 03:51 PM, denverbroncos59 wrote: Hi, thanks for reading first of all but I'm struggling with this.

Download the flstudio demo, try to compose a piano piece via the piano roll. You will quickly find that without the physical limitations of your fingers and muscle memory, you have many more options as to what you can write and produce. It's up to you to make sure the song is still possible to play though, that is, if you want to record it afterwards or you want your render to be somewhat believable.

I will definitely try that. I've been a little against the whole composing without actually playing but maybe i'll be surprised :D thanks everyone here who gave advice.

Guess i'll just keep working at it. Another question I have is do other composers write the notes down as they create a piece? I've been trying to learn whatever I'm creating by memory and worrying about writing it down later. is this the wrong approach?