00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mobile Phone Enthusiasts

5,618 Views | 49 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 14:09:17

This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 14:45:12

At 12/20/11 02:09 PM, PolishMatt wrote: This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

There are already phones out with 720 displays and quad cores have been kicking around the rumor mill since earlier this year. Just as dual core phones were the big thing in 2011, 2012 seems to be when we'll get quad-core phones. Another great thing is that the next generation of LTE chips will be coming out soon which should hopefully allow for both 3G and 4G on the same chip rather than 2 chips in the phone - saving on battery and signal loss. LTE-Advanced should also support voice as well rather than just data. The LTE chips now can only handle data - which is cool for CDMA networks like Verizon because you have your CDMA 3G radio for talking and your LTE radio for data.

On another note, there is bad news about LTE - it looks like more carriers are all developing LTE independently on all kinds of different spectrum hz which means that the hope of a fully GSM North America and Europe would allow for free use of any handset with simply changing out SIM cards will not be. CDMA/GSM phones for verizon are already blocked from US GSM frequencies. The way LTE is going now, everyone will be blocked from everyone else's spectrum so although both AT&T and VZW may use LTE which is based on GSM you still won't be able to swap SIM cards from each into your future LTE phones and it looks like Europe would go the way of current USA markets where you may no longer be able to so easily swap SIMs. Truly a pain in the ass. The only silver lining, if there is one, is that carriers will be more likely to subsidize phones which brings down the up-front price of a new handset down but at the cost of having to sign up for a 2 year contract and your phone won't be compatible with other carriers even after the contract is up. So Europeans may finally get their hands on a 200 euro high-end phone rather than having to pay much more up front like they do now.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 20:03:49

At 12/14/11 06:52 PM, EmmDubya wrote: I should get time to respond to the rest of the posts in this thread sometime tomorrow.

I didn't wanna doublepost, but now I'll make true my promise... other than the 'tomorrow' bit. I also don't intend to quote everything I intended to (or much at all) as I'm feeling slightly lazy this evening.

At 12/20/11 02:09 PM, PolishMatt wrote: This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

I'm not too keen on that design, mainly for the look in and around the camera and how thin the band is with HTC's name on at the top. Engadget have since claimed that the design is simply a piece of concept art and is not likely to happen, although if it did those specs would have me drooling - although in my opinion they seem a little like overkill. Four cores and upwards are still less common in desktop computers than dual-cores (that statistic being taken from Steam Stats - the average user probably having weaker computers than those reported). The jump to quadcores on mobile, and the time taken for third parties to make use of that still seems far off, and I'm not so sure that's necessarily a bad thing.

At 12/20/11 02:51 PM, Crink wrote: uh

i have a 5 year old samsung slider phone.

can i join the crew?

The question is, are you enthusiastic about it? The answer to that question is the answer to yours. :3

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-22 09:43:15

I quite recently got a new phone, kind of an early Christmas present. It's one of the new(ish) Blackberry Curve, in purple :). It's my first ever smart phone and I've had it for a couple of weeks now. I'm finding it to be the best phone that I have ever owned. I'm not really one for phones that have lots of extras like Facebook or Youtube but it may be converting me to that way of thinking.

I predict that in a few months time i'm going to be one of those people who take there phone out of there pocket every other second for some unknown reason or end every other sentence with the phrase "there's an app for that".

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-02-27 14:21:18

I'm considering purchasing an IP camera so that I can manipulate it with an app on my phone or laptop. Anyone have experience with network setup or IP cameras?

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-03-12 12:34:55

I have the Sony Xperia X8, limited black edition, android 2.1(vanilla).
Yeah it really sucks, no multi touch, and cant be upgraded to 2.2froyo or 2.3gingerbread...
But it does have good color and an ok screen size.
I might get the Samsung Galaxy Y in the future.
What I really want however, is to have the Xplay! :D

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-04 00:20:31

Was reading into 4.1 aka Jelly Bean and I learned the Adobe is cutting Flash support for it. I know overnight it won't be the end of Flash on phone since most are still on Gingerbread but I guess Adobe is cutting its losses to HTML 5 at least on the mobile front.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-04 13:39:20

At 7/4/12 12:20 AM, reverend wrote: Was reading into 4.1 aka Jelly Bean and I learned the Adobe is cutting Flash support for it. I know overnight it won't be the end of Flash on phone since most are still on Gingerbread but I guess Adobe is cutting its losses to HTML 5 at least on the mobile front.

I pre-ordered the Nexus 7 and was really disappointed with lack of Flash. In fact, they aren't just dropping support for 4.1, they are dropping support for any new downloads of flash player from the market starting in August. Of course, there are other options out there. When my nexus 7 arrives I'll try out some of the other flash players on the market and see how they run on Jelly Bean.

I see the point in cutting losses and supporting html5 - but there is no real way to convert existing Flash games on the web to html5. I fear that too many people are ignoring the Flash games communities - Newgrounds for instance should of been something Adobe and others thought of when they considered dropping support for Flash. I only wish there was more interest here on Newgrounds to develop mobile-friendly web games.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-18 19:30:04

My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.

Dolphin browser was being stupid and disabled Flash for Jelly Bean though and the stock Chrome won't even acknowledge flash player and firefox in the Play Store isn't quite ready for jelly bean yet. I was able to download aurora straight from FF's website though.

However my only complaint is that my tablet seems to be getting pretty slow download speeds from my wifi - it's only pulling 1.5mb/s whereas my Droid 3 is able to get 14mb/s.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-18 19:32:14

At 7/18/12 07:30 PM, Malachy wrote: My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.

Pic of proof that Flash still works fine on an incremental update like Jelly Bean

Mobile Phone Enthusiasts

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-20 10:48:58

At 7/18/12 07:30 PM, Malachy wrote: My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.

Kind of figured that you would have to just manually download the apk for flash. Still don't see why Adobe is unwilling to support it.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-20 16:34:38

At 7/20/12 10:48 AM, reverend wrote:
Kind of figured that you would have to just manually download the apk for flash. Still don't see why Adobe is unwilling to support it.

Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.

Simple enough to side-load it but as you update to Jelly Bean even if you already had it you will lose support

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk. So I downloaded Firefox Aurora. The stock chrome browser doesn't even acknowledge flash player.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-21 00:09:02

At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk. So I downloaded Firefox Aurora. The stock chrome browser doesn't even acknowledge flash player.

Wait what? Does this mean if I get a tablet flash isn't going to work on it? What the fucking hell is going on?

Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Save Lives.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-21 00:13:56

At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.

Heh, I don't think RIM is going to last 2 year let alone 10.

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk.

I'm not sure it other browser will follow suit but I'm sure they will since that's the easy way out compared to trying to work around just to have some flash items show. I guess NG better start working on making the movies in video format and as for the game, guess they are out of luck (not that you can really play them any how.)

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-22 19:01:20

At 7/21/12 12:09 AM, Vidaria wrote: Wait what? Does this mean if I get a tablet flash isn't going to work on it? What the fucking hell is going on?

Flash works, don't get me wrong, but adobe wont let you download it from the market - you'll have to side load the apk. There may come a day where a future android update will cause Flash to become unstable and Adobe isn't going to do anything about it.

At 7/21/12 12:13 AM, reverend wrote:
At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.
Heh, I don't think RIM is going to last 2 year let alone 10.

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk.
I'm not sure it other browser will follow suit but I'm sure they will since that's the easy way out compared to trying to work around just to have some flash items show. I guess NG better start working on making the movies in video format and as for the game, guess they are out of luck (not that you can really play them any how.)

Dolphin dropped it because they didn't want Flash to crash, or for it to crash the whole browser and cause people to think Dolphin is unstable. But to me it would have been better to put an extra option in advanced settings with a clear explanation that Flash might not play nice from now on... I'd rather the option, you know?

But even if all the major browsers drop support there will surely be a developer who throws something together.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-03 00:05:47

A random question. What are your must have apps? Something that you use constantly or find convenient.

One example, I find myself using Flipboard quite a bit. I think it much more convenient to have that than several news apps on hand.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-04 00:19:26

At 8/3/12 12:05 AM, reverend wrote: A random question. What are your must have apps? Something that you use constantly or find convenient.

One example, I find myself using Flipboard quite a bit. I think it much more convenient to have that than several news apps on hand.

News apps of all kinds. On my phone I like CNET, Engadget, NPR, and BBC New apps. On my tablet I like to use more tablet optimized apps like Google Currents and Pulse.since the Nexus 7 has a tegra 3 processor I like to try out games made for that. For social networking I've been giving friendcaster and tweetcaster a go. Friendcaster is getting a lot of use because Facebook's own app is rubbish. Google now is nice too. Probably the most useful app I still use is Llama for my phone - its extremely powerful without having toroot - it is a location aware management app that can turn your WiFi on when you get to work and turn the sound off when you are at school. It is easy on the battery because it determines your location based off cell towers instead of GPS (but you can use GPS or wigi location if you want more accuracy)

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-04 13:06:20

Is a Nexus 7 worth getting if you already have a laptop and an android phone?

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-07 00:31:41

At 8/4/12 12:19 AM, Malachy wrote: Probably the most useful app I still use is Llama for my phone - its extremely powerful without having toroot - it is a location aware management app that can turn your WiFi on when you get to work and turn the sound off when you are at school. It is easy on the battery because it determines your location based off cell towers instead of GPS (but you can use GPS or wigi location if you want more accuracy)

Ooh, Llama is the app that I've been looking for. I keep forgetting to turn off my wifi when I leave home and turn it on when I get back so it's going to be very useful. I don't have to worry about it being inaccurate since I work pretty far from home.

I still use standard apps for Facebook and Twitter. I might give them a try since FB seems to get progressively worse each update.

BBS Signature

Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-09-19 16:29:30

Last week I picked up a used galaxy nexus off ebay. Loaded all of my favorite apps - it's got a similar processor as my Droid 3 but has a higher clock speed, twice the RAM and of course ICS. Sadly, verizon is dragging their feet so I don't yet have JB, which is fine because I did want to at least try ICS out a little bit since my nexus 7 has JB and my Droid 3 was stuck on GB.

Now my wife wants a galaxy nexus (She's running on a droid 2). She seems to want a galaxy S 3 but of course those things are going for an arm and a leg, even used. I'm happy to have last years flagship nexus phone - I own it outright so I can keep my verizon unlimited data. We were both on 3g phones and since everything on verizon is now LTE we didn't want to upgrade, lose our unlimited data rates and then wind up paying overages! What sucks is that I'm just barely out of LTE range where I live but they are probably going to expand a little more my way in the next year.

It's too bad the Droid 3 was so quickly over shadowed by the bionic and razrs and replaced by the D4 because now I have an extra phone around that I'm happy to play with - at least somebody on xda mentioned there's a glimmer of hope of getting an ICS rom on it.

Also, anyone else notice wifi speeds are slow for some devices? My nexus 7 and galaxy nexus get really crap speeds on my home wifi network - today I messed with my wifi router settings and managed to fix all that. Turns out that having it on wireless-b instead of g or n did the trick. Probably because I live in a large apartment complex and there is lots of interference from other wireless-n routers. I think

BBS Signature