New Topic Respond to this Topic
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-10 08:09:33 Reply

At 12/7/11 07:47 PM, Malachy wrote: It could do pretty much everything you would expect from a smart phone - firing off emails, use the web, use google maps but there was no app developers for it so it was hard to find anything.

Ah, I get you. Developer support can be vitally important - even on Android, the most popular (at least, the last time I checked) mobile operating system there seems to be less support from big developers than iOS gets, especially considering most of this is in the gaming side of things where functionality isn't as easily replicated. Again, it's a problem caused by the decentralised nature of the operating system - the biggest strength and shortcoming of Android.

Just yesterday The Behemoth announced another game for iOS with little chance of seeing an Android port. I want to love the Behemoth, but they're making it difficult by not releasing games on Steam or Android, meaning that the most recent retail game of theirs I own is Alien Hominid for GBA. In addition to that game, a full release of an expanded Chrono Trigger seems to be in the same situation.

There was a desktop application you could download that would notify you whenever a new flash was submitted - sort of like an email alert....somebody should work on a mobile app for it.

Yeah, that's Portal Guard, I have it open right now. That'd be a really useful thing to have for me, definitely, but I doubt there are too many other people whom do much of their blamming and protecting on mobile. It'd be pretty interesting to know how that application parses the information, although I'm sure Casualty is now inactive, unfortunately, and even if that information could be taken I can't think of anyone whom would carry on his work and port it over to mobile.

But it's really carrier-dependent in the US. They are apt to drop phones after only a year on the shelf, except for Apple.

With the Apple logo popped onto the back not even age is enough to keep buyers away. :3

The last few versions have all been "2.x" for phones and "3.x" for tablets. ICS is "4.0" so it seems they are trying to say it is a big jump from what they have been working on lately.

Hopefully what they say is true, at the moment the operating system seems to have been brought forward only by members of the market developers community as opposed to those working on the core OS as a whole, whom seem to just be tweaking and adding smaller features in. As much as I love it, I do believe that by nature it's very far from perfect and although no OS will ever reach that stage, in order to get as close as possible making such minor changes as they have been. Looking at the Icecream Sandwich screenshots, it certainly looks absolutely beautiful at the very least. I'd say I'm looking forward to it, however I doubt that my phone will receive an update when it finally is released. We had to wait months and months for the previous update and that was only a minor one, and the phone recently reached the one year old mark, meaning support for it from HTC will shrink further as the original twelve month contracts all come to an end.

I'll check it out if I get the feeling I need more home screens. I've sort of gotten used to only 5 and from the looks of it, Ice Cream Sandwich only has 5. I just thought it was a little odd since my wife's Froyo 2.2 Droid 2 had 7 home screens on the stock launcher but the next iteration of the phone, mine, had only 5...and now she has the same software version and still has 7 homescreens.

I personally think five is a better number. Sense is locked at seven, and I always had the issue of not having enough stuff to put on every homescreen without just throwing any old guff onto there simply to fill up space. I actually have mine set to just three at the moment (well, last time I had it on me) with only the widgets I use the most often up there in order to mean I can get to those ones with as little hassle as possible.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-12 10:15:50 Reply

How nice of T-Mobile to send me mail alerting me to a free gift. It says it's for loyal customers, but in the small print a loyal customer is defined as someone who has been using their network for at least 3 months... Hardly a loyal customer. I've been with them for a good 4 years now.

Anyway, I wont complain because one of the options is £20 worth of Android Apps, which is convenient seeing as my Wildfire S is now sitting under the Christmas tree. At least I assume it's the Wildfire S. The box seems to be the right size and it was the one I suggested.

On top of these £20 free Android Apps, I think T-Mobile gives all new Android phone owners 6 months of free internet access on their phones, which saves me another £20. The only reason that I've stuck with them all this time is because I've had a 4p per text price plan with them, which is no longer available. £10 of credit gets me 250 texts as oppose to the 100 texts that I'd get on one of their up to date price plans. Hopefully I wont be forced to change price plans if I want to make use of there internet bundles.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-12 20:13:36 Reply

Unrelated but I think this is a good topic.

For Christmas my brother is possibly going to get the new HTC Rezound. He currently has the HTC Thunderbolt. This looks good for me because as he switches I will be able to snag his Thunderbolt soon. Unfortunately though my brother destroyed the screen and it is just awful. It works but it goes across the whole screen and takes up 80% of the screen. Question time: Does anyone know of any reliable and affordable screen replacement services???

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-14 15:11:23 Reply

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a smartphone enthusiast. I'm very pleased with the path that phones are taking today or should I say, the path that computers jumped on to. I was always a geek when it came to computers and have built many computers in my previous years. Since the day I got my computer, I have been always striding for more performance, speed and customization in an effort to use of every last instruction set and memory block to its fullest potential but as technology progressed in recent years, I feel as though we have finally came to the point of good-enough computing prowess. In effect, my overclocking and late night software customizing days have gone to a never re-awaking coma. I have also changed as a person which has left me with less personal time due to work and a smaller, if not obsolete, need for computing power to fulfill all my computer tasks.

With all that said, I have now switch from being the speed-thirsty power user to a more normalized power user that now seeks battery life and portability in an effort to accomplish my everyday computing needs. Ultra-books and smartphones are that next stepping stone that I decided to indulge in. I have a HTC Desire HD (European version of the HTC EVO) and dreaming of attaining one day a Samsung 9 Series Ultra Slim Notebook or another notebook of comparable size and specs (Macbook Air? Seems tempting right about now.)

I love my smartphone to bits, it's almost perfect and flawless in my eyes. I must have used the phone for several thousands of hours now ever since I got it in May this year. I know essentially everything there is to be known about the phone. The screen size is perfect, the uni-body metal chassis that encases the phone is brilliant, the specs within are perfectly adequate for every application on the market, the camera creates stunning images and the placement of all the buttons is perfect (Aside from the power button which is more appropriately positioned for a left-handed user) and it feels like a real sturdy device in hand due to the high quality materials (Gorilla glass + Aluminum).

On the negative side of things, the LCD used in the phone has terrible viewing angles and bad black levels. The plastic caps for the battery and sim/memory cards would be much better if they were made out of aluminum like the rest of the phone. The color of the phone also changes to a flamboyant purple in bright daylight but a nice sleek grey in low light levels. The notification light is also next to impossible to see when looking at the phone from a greater than 45 degree angel (Due to the metal mesh laying on top of it) but this is really nick picking its flaws out. The only other problem I have with the phone is the rocker-button for the volume; it requires a lot of force to be pushed down (This may be a positive, now that I think about it).

So that's my wrap up about my phone. I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now, with the exception of the Samsung Galaxy SII. So if you want a quality phone for a damn low price, get the Desire HD.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-14 18:52:35 Reply

I'm rather pissed off at HTC. Perfectly in time for a birthday treat, I was finally sent a quote for minor repair work on my phone three or so days late, simply sorting out the microphone. They offered to sort out that issue out for a nice, comfortable 100 pounds, or return it completely unfixed for just twenty - with charges for labour on that bill somewhere for whatever reason. In another sign of their graciousness they even offered to dispose of the phone absolutely free! This likely meaning carrying out the £5 or so repair before selling it on for £250 or so. For whatever reason, the bill they sent shows charges for a full case replacement (including a new screen, despite the old one having no issues), followed by a partial case replacement (because a job done once is little better than a job not done at all, apparently), coming together to make quite the total indeed for what is likely just a popped microphone.

At 12/12/11 10:15 AM, Dean wrote: a loyal customer is defined as someone who has been using their network for at least 3 months...

Three whole months? In the era of instant gratification I believe that is considered to be a very significant sign of dedication.

Anyway, I wont complain because one of the options is £20 worth of Android Apps, which is convenient seeing as my Wildfire S is now sitting under the Christmas tree.

I can imagine that being very interesting. I am still yet to buy a retail app, being the cheapskate that I am. A cheapskate too young still in order to purchase goods through the majority of online retailers and such, at that.

At least I assume it's the Wildfire S. The box seems to be the right size and it was the one I suggested.

That sounds like it should be - let us know. From what I've been hearing the Wildfire S is a great phone, and as it's one of their more popular models I can imagine that it receives a lot of attention from the manufacturers.

On top of these £20 free Android Apps, I think T-Mobile gives all new Android phone owners 6 months of free internet access on their phones, which saves me another £20.

This is starting to sound like an amazing deal, I may have to look into getting onto the same thing rather than this (albeit well priced) risky deal, especially if you plan on using the internet. For just £5 a month for unlimited texts it's all I really needed it for at the time (although, despite it being supposedly 'unlimited' I actually topped the cap on my first month, not since then though). I'll definitely look into that deal sometime soon.

Hopefully I wont be forced to change price plans if I want to make use of there internet bundles.

If you're capable of speaking on the phone enough, just rage down at them until they go along with it. I have a natural aversion to phone conversations (I just find them absolutely horrible), however a friend of mine whom does not have the same problem ended up getting a fiver shaved off of his monthly bill when upgrading simply by continuously pushing and doing so well. I may have to get him to help deal with my issues at the moment. :3

I'll sleep for now, as I'm feck-tired and wish to actually wake up despite my lack of an alarm at the moment (yeah, unlikely to happen, I know), but I should get time to respond to the rest of the posts in this thread sometime tomorrow, in amongst catching up with the icons that I skipped out today.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 14:09:17 Reply

This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 14:45:12 Reply

At 12/20/11 02:09 PM, PolishMatt wrote: This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

There are already phones out with 720 displays and quad cores have been kicking around the rumor mill since earlier this year. Just as dual core phones were the big thing in 2011, 2012 seems to be when we'll get quad-core phones. Another great thing is that the next generation of LTE chips will be coming out soon which should hopefully allow for both 3G and 4G on the same chip rather than 2 chips in the phone - saving on battery and signal loss. LTE-Advanced should also support voice as well rather than just data. The LTE chips now can only handle data - which is cool for CDMA networks like Verizon because you have your CDMA 3G radio for talking and your LTE radio for data.

On another note, there is bad news about LTE - it looks like more carriers are all developing LTE independently on all kinds of different spectrum hz which means that the hope of a fully GSM North America and Europe would allow for free use of any handset with simply changing out SIM cards will not be. CDMA/GSM phones for verizon are already blocked from US GSM frequencies. The way LTE is going now, everyone will be blocked from everyone else's spectrum so although both AT&T and VZW may use LTE which is based on GSM you still won't be able to swap SIM cards from each into your future LTE phones and it looks like Europe would go the way of current USA markets where you may no longer be able to so easily swap SIMs. Truly a pain in the ass. The only silver lining, if there is one, is that carriers will be more likely to subsidize phones which brings down the up-front price of a new handset down but at the cost of having to sign up for a 2 year contract and your phone won't be compatible with other carriers even after the contract is up. So Europeans may finally get their hands on a 200 euro high-end phone rather than having to pay much more up front like they do now.

¥ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ¥
¥ ¥
Blag [updated: 4/20/2014] ¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Crink
Crink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 14:51:14 Reply

uh

i have a 5 year old samsung slider phone.

can i join the crew?

hey

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-20 20:03:49 Reply

At 12/14/11 06:52 PM, EmmDubya wrote: I should get time to respond to the rest of the posts in this thread sometime tomorrow.

I didn't wanna doublepost, but now I'll make true my promise... other than the 'tomorrow' bit. I also don't intend to quote everything I intended to (or much at all) as I'm feeling slightly lazy this evening.

At 12/20/11 02:09 PM, PolishMatt wrote: This is a really crazy phone concept from HTC for next year. HTC Zeta. The specs seem way too good to be true but the design of the phone is amazing.

I'm not too keen on that design, mainly for the look in and around the camera and how thin the band is with HTC's name on at the top. Engadget have since claimed that the design is simply a piece of concept art and is not likely to happen, although if it did those specs would have me drooling - although in my opinion they seem a little like overkill. Four cores and upwards are still less common in desktop computers than dual-cores (that statistic being taken from Steam Stats - the average user probably having weaker computers than those reported). The jump to quadcores on mobile, and the time taken for third parties to make use of that still seems far off, and I'm not so sure that's necessarily a bad thing.

At 12/20/11 02:51 PM, Crink wrote: uh

i have a 5 year old samsung slider phone.

can i join the crew?

The question is, are you enthusiastic about it? The answer to that question is the answer to yours. :3

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2011-12-22 09:43:15 Reply

I quite recently got a new phone, kind of an early Christmas present. It's one of the new(ish) Blackberry Curve, in purple :). It's my first ever smart phone and I've had it for a couple of weeks now. I'm finding it to be the best phone that I have ever owned. I'm not really one for phones that have lots of extras like Facebook or Youtube but it may be converting me to that way of thinking.

I predict that in a few months time i'm going to be one of those people who take there phone out of there pocket every other second for some unknown reason or end every other sentence with the phrase "there's an app for that".

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-02-27 14:21:18 Reply

I'm considering purchasing an IP camera so that I can manipulate it with an app on my phone or laptop. Anyone have experience with network setup or IP cameras?

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-03-12 12:34:55 Reply

I have the Sony Xperia X8, limited black edition, android 2.1(vanilla).
Yeah it really sucks, no multi touch, and cant be upgraded to 2.2froyo or 2.3gingerbread...
But it does have good color and an ok screen size.
I might get the Samsung Galaxy Y in the future.
What I really want however, is to have the Xplay! :D

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-04 00:20:31 Reply

Was reading into 4.1 aka Jelly Bean and I learned the Adobe is cutting Flash support for it. I know overnight it won't be the end of Flash on phone since most are still on Gingerbread but I guess Adobe is cutting its losses to HTML 5 at least on the mobile front.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-04 13:39:20 Reply

At 7/4/12 12:20 AM, reverend wrote: Was reading into 4.1 aka Jelly Bean and I learned the Adobe is cutting Flash support for it. I know overnight it won't be the end of Flash on phone since most are still on Gingerbread but I guess Adobe is cutting its losses to HTML 5 at least on the mobile front.

I pre-ordered the Nexus 7 and was really disappointed with lack of Flash. In fact, they aren't just dropping support for 4.1, they are dropping support for any new downloads of flash player from the market starting in August. Of course, there are other options out there. When my nexus 7 arrives I'll try out some of the other flash players on the market and see how they run on Jelly Bean.

I see the point in cutting losses and supporting html5 - but there is no real way to convert existing Flash games on the web to html5. I fear that too many people are ignoring the Flash games communities - Newgrounds for instance should of been something Adobe and others thought of when they considered dropping support for Flash. I only wish there was more interest here on Newgrounds to develop mobile-friendly web games.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-18 19:30:04 Reply

My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.

Dolphin browser was being stupid and disabled Flash for Jelly Bean though and the stock Chrome won't even acknowledge flash player and firefox in the Play Store isn't quite ready for jelly bean yet. I was able to download aurora straight from FF's website though.

However my only complaint is that my tablet seems to be getting pretty slow download speeds from my wifi - it's only pulling 1.5mb/s whereas my Droid 3 is able to get 14mb/s.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-18 19:32:14 Reply

At 7/18/12 07:30 PM, Malachy wrote: My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.

Pic of proof that Flash still works fine on an incremental update like Jelly Bean

Mobile Phone Enthusiasts

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-18 20:57:23 Reply

At 7/18/12 07:32 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 7/18/12 07:30 PM, Malachy wrote: My Nexus 7 is now perfect. Followed these directions to sideload Flash Player 11.1 and Firefox. The N7 didn't blow up watching a NG video.
Pic of proof that Flash still works fine on an incremental update like Jelly Bean

Nice. This is a tablet that I'm looking to save up some money to buy. I've liked what I've seen from it.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-20 10:48:58 Reply

Kind of figured that you would have to just manually download the apk for flash. Still don't see why Adobe is unwilling to support it.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-20 16:34:38 Reply

At 7/20/12 10:48 AM, reverend wrote:
Kind of figured that you would have to just manually download the apk for flash. Still don't see why Adobe is unwilling to support it.

Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.

Simple enough to side-load it but as you update to Jelly Bean even if you already had it you will lose support

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk. So I downloaded Firefox Aurora. The stock chrome browser doesn't even acknowledge flash player.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Vidaria
Vidaria
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-21 00:09:02 Reply

At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk. So I downloaded Firefox Aurora. The stock chrome browser doesn't even acknowledge flash player.

Wait what? Does this mean if I get a tablet flash isn't going to work on it? What the fucking hell is going on?

Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Save Lives.

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-21 00:13:56 Reply

At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.

Heh, I don't think RIM is going to last 2 year let alone 10.

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk.

I'm not sure it other browser will follow suit but I'm sure they will since that's the easy way out compared to trying to work around just to have some flash items show. I guess NG better start working on making the movies in video format and as for the game, guess they are out of luck (not that you can really play them any how.)

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-07-22 19:01:20 Reply

At 7/21/12 12:09 AM, Vidaria wrote: Wait what? Does this mean if I get a tablet flash isn't going to work on it? What the fucking hell is going on?

Flash works, don't get me wrong, but adobe wont let you download it from the market - you'll have to side load the apk. There may come a day where a future android update will cause Flash to become unstable and Adobe isn't going to do anything about it.

At 7/21/12 12:13 AM, reverend wrote:
At 7/20/12 04:34 PM, Malachy wrote: Adobe is dropping support for all mobile, not just Jelly Bean - after Aug 13 they will not allow any new downloads of Flash Player from any new device in the Play Store - updates will still be pushed out for security and whatnot but the main thing is that they are getting out of the mobile game. They will still develop for blackberries because they had an agreement with RIM that goes for like 10 years, though.
Heh, I don't think RIM is going to last 2 year let alone 10.

and browsers are already dropping support entirely - Dolphin HD did something that irked me - they took away the option of using Flash - if you try to enable it on Jelly Bean you get an error saying that since Adobe isn't developing Flash for jelly bean they were going to block JB devices from using flash - even if they have the apk.
I'm not sure it other browser will follow suit but I'm sure they will since that's the easy way out compared to trying to work around just to have some flash items show. I guess NG better start working on making the movies in video format and as for the game, guess they are out of luck (not that you can really play them any how.)

Dolphin dropped it because they didn't want Flash to crash, or for it to crash the whole browser and cause people to think Dolphin is unstable. But to me it would have been better to put an extra option in advanced settings with a clear explanation that Flash might not play nice from now on... I'd rather the option, you know?

But even if all the major browsers drop support there will surely be a developer who throws something together.

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-03 00:05:47 Reply

A random question. What are your must have apps? Something that you use constantly or find convenient.

One example, I find myself using Flipboard quite a bit. I think it much more convenient to have that than several news apps on hand.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-04 00:19:26 Reply

At 8/3/12 12:05 AM, reverend wrote: A random question. What are your must have apps? Something that you use constantly or find convenient.

One example, I find myself using Flipboard quite a bit. I think it much more convenient to have that than several news apps on hand.

News apps of all kinds. On my phone I like CNET, Engadget, NPR, and BBC New apps. On my tablet I like to use more tablet optimized apps like Google Currents and Pulse.since the Nexus 7 has a tegra 3 processor I like to try out games made for that. For social networking I've been giving friendcaster and tweetcaster a go. Friendcaster is getting a lot of use because Facebook's own app is rubbish. Google now is nice too. Probably the most useful app I still use is Llama for my phone - its extremely powerful without having toroot - it is a location aware management app that can turn your WiFi on when you get to work and turn the sound off when you are at school. It is easy on the battery because it determines your location based off cell towers instead of GPS (but you can use GPS or wigi location if you want more accuracy)

¥ ¥

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-04 13:06:20 Reply

Is a Nexus 7 worth getting if you already have a laptop and an android phone?

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-08-07 00:31:41 Reply

At 8/4/12 12:19 AM, Malachy wrote: Probably the most useful app I still use is Llama for my phone - its extremely powerful without having toroot - it is a location aware management app that can turn your WiFi on when you get to work and turn the sound off when you are at school. It is easy on the battery because it determines your location based off cell towers instead of GPS (but you can use GPS or wigi location if you want more accuracy)

Ooh, Llama is the app that I've been looking for. I keep forgetting to turn off my wifi when I leave home and turn it on when I get back so it's going to be very useful. I don't have to worry about it being inaccurate since I work pretty far from home.

I still use standard apps for Facebook and Twitter. I might give them a try since FB seems to get progressively worse each update.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Mobile Phone Enthusiasts 2012-09-19 16:29:30 Reply

Last week I picked up a used galaxy nexus off ebay. Loaded all of my favorite apps - it's got a similar processor as my Droid 3 but has a higher clock speed, twice the RAM and of course ICS. Sadly, verizon is dragging their feet so I don't yet have JB, which is fine because I did want to at least try ICS out a little bit since my nexus 7 has JB and my Droid 3 was stuck on GB.

Now my wife wants a galaxy nexus (She's running on a droid 2). She seems to want a galaxy S 3 but of course those things are going for an arm and a leg, even used. I'm happy to have last years flagship nexus phone - I own it outright so I can keep my verizon unlimited data. We were both on 3g phones and since everything on verizon is now LTE we didn't want to upgrade, lose our unlimited data rates and then wind up paying overages! What sucks is that I'm just barely out of LTE range where I live but they are probably going to expand a little more my way in the next year.

It's too bad the Droid 3 was so quickly over shadowed by the bionic and razrs and replaced by the D4 because now I have an extra phone around that I'm happy to play with - at least somebody on xda mentioned there's a glimmer of hope of getting an ICS rom on it.

Also, anyone else notice wifi speeds are slow for some devices? My nexus 7 and galaxy nexus get really crap speeds on my home wifi network - today I messed with my wifi router settings and managed to fix all that. Turns out that having it on wireless-b instead of g or n did the trick. Probably because I live in a large apartment complex and there is lots of interference from other wireless-n routers. I think

¥ ¥

BBS Signature