00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

velvzie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wanna do a fun little D&B project?

3,693 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I had an idea for a community project, how about we do a collab?
Instead of working on different instruments or separate sections, just submit a 10~11 second audio clip of some DNB! Much like those forum games where posters count to some high number by one poster posting one number, a poster here would just open (your) favorite DAW and make a short audio clip (10~11 seconds) and submit it here!

It could be like a long DNB CATERPILLAR! After a certain amount of submissions we could stitch all of the clips together to forum a patchwork quilt of DNB! What do you guys say :D?

I'll start it off, I just submitted my "contribution" to this game.

The tempo I used was 170 BPM

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 13:58:14

I think this would work if somebody would mix collection short sort dnb songs, somewhere 20secs to 1 minute
10 seconds are not even enough to kick off the idea

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 16:00:48

Im in :D
so around 30 secs?

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 16:14:15

Heck, why not? 20~30 seconds it is then! The section submitted could be anything, a break, a drop, whatever you want. Usernamemyarse, I can't edit the first post, but I'll add you to the list of contributors on the blog post on my page!

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 17:28:27

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 18:14:44

Its quite... Different from what you guys did, but hopefully you will find some use for it :D

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 19:14:19

Alright guys, I listened to the tracks; rated, reviewed, and downloaded them. Really good stuff, thanks for submitting! I updated the blog post (Here); I'll keep all the information there centralized for easier organization and management.

Both of your submissions were around 47 seconds, and I think that was a better idea than capping the clips at 30 seconds. It gives more space for editing down the road! Speaking of editing, how do you guys think I should arrange the clips? Originally I planned on arranging it in the order the clips were submitted. Any other ideas?

All in all, that's three clips thus far! Thanks again for submitting guys :)
And now I'm off. I won't be available from 8 pm (EST, GMT -5) until 8 to 9 PM tomorrow0. Goodnight!

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 19:53:45

I could always put up the samples i used in my submission as loops if ya want, that way you could edit and remix any elements i used :D

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 20:05:30

At 5/20/11 07:14 PM, SonicJ wrote:
Both of your submissions were around 47 seconds, and I think that was a better idea than capping the clips at 30 seconds. It gives more space for editing down the road! Speaking of editing, how do you guys think I should arrange the clips? Originally I planned on arranging it in the order the clips were submitted. Any other ideas?

Make it work.

There was a dnb collab of this kind a few years back but it fell through. I can't seem to find it and don't really care enough to try and find it but collabs like this are always good fun. You need some guidelines to follow though or the mix will come off sounding like poop. BPM would be a good start. Some sort of structure would be a good plan too. Noisia follows 16 bar patterns, maybe we could have 16 bar mixable intros, followed by 32 bars of chorus in which halfway through the next song could start to be mixed in. dunno. participation would be key.

also, i started whipping up this for the collab. i know the intro melodies are shit but I've been in a rut lately in regards to music. this might be the best i can offer :(

quarl BandCamp

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 20:08:48

guh, just put on headphones and realized how far to the left that one synth is. fuck me D:<

quarl BandCamp

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-20 20:17:36

At 5/20/11 08:05 PM, Quarl wrote:

:Stuff

So... Somebody should whip up a 16 bar intro followed by 32 bars of their own, after that evrybody makes 32 bars of their own contribution to it?
That could work, But heres some of the established rules:

170 BPM
32 Bars
4/4 Time sig

Any tips on exactly what chords/melodies/key signatures we should use? any ideas?

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-21 23:27:26

At 5/20/11 08:17 PM, Usernamemyarse wrote:
Any tips on exactly what chords/melodies/key signatures we should use? any ideas?

so wait, let me get this straight. you want to take a frequently atonal genre and force it under a specific tonic structure? why don't we all just right the same song?

quarl BandCamp

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-22 07:07:20

At 5/20/11 07:53 PM, Usernamemyarse wrote: I could always put up the samples i used in my submission as loops if ya want, that way you could edit and remix any elements i used :D

Sure thing, that would be useful!

There was a dnb collab of this kind a few years back but it fell through. I can't seem to find it and don't really care enough to try and find it but collabs like this are always good fun. You need some guidelines to follow though or the mix will come off sounding like poop. BPM would be a good start. Some sort of structure would be a good plan too. Noisia follows 16 bar patterns, maybe we could have 16 bar mixable intros, followed by 32 bars of chorus in which halfway through the next song could start to be mixed in. dunno. participation would be key.

also, i started whipping up this for the collab. i know the intro melodies are shit but I've been in a rut lately in regards to music. this might be the best i can offer :(

Your suggestions are good! I mentioned I used 170 BPM, I thought that would suffice regarding what everyone should use. Well, 170 BPM is the guideline for the tempo guys :p
Also, what do you define as falling through? The first collab got 12K listens and a flash movie, and the second for 8K listens. I think that's spectacular o_o/

Regarding the actual bars , I'm sure we can be flexible with that. 4/4 would be easiest to splice together, but if it sounds good mashing it with other bars, I'm fine with that too.

chords/melodies/key signatures can be up to the individual. Variety is the spice of life :p

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-22 11:03:39

My DnB is very drumsteppy. Would my style work?

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-22 11:13:55

At 5/22/11 07:07 AM, SonicJ wrote:
Your suggestions are good! I mentioned I used 170 BPM, I thought that would suffice regarding what everyone should use. Well, 170 BPM is the guideline for the tempo guys :p
Also, what do you define as falling through? The first collab got 12K listens and a flash movie, and the second for 8K listens. I think that's spectacular o_o/

the ctsg collabs weren't what i was referring to. there was an actual attempted ctsg inspired dnb collab a few years back that was never finished.

Regarding the actual bars , I'm sure we can be flexible with that. 4/4 would be easiest to splice together, but if it sounds good mashing it with other bars, I'm fine with that too.

the number of bars in a song are irrelevant to the time signature as the two are different. a song can have 128 bars in it while changing from 4/4 to 8/16 to whatever. a bar is a portion of time within a song while the time signature explains how that portion of time is divided. sorry, i don't want to come off like an ass or anything I just wanted to clear that up.

I'll go back and start whipping up something at 170 bpm. i completely missed your post on the bpm :p

quarl BandCamp

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-23 07:19:28

At 5/22/11 11:03 AM, DLBeezy wrote: My DnB is very drumsteppy. Would my style work?

Sure go for broke.

At 5/22/11 11:13 AM, Quarl wrote: the number of bars in a song are irrelevant to the time signature as the two are different. a song can have 128 bars in it while changing from 4/4 to 8/16 to whatever. a bar is a portion of time within a song while the time signature explains how that portion of time is divided. sorry, i don't want to come off like an ass or anything I just wanted to clear that up.

I'll go back and start whipping up something at 170 bpm. i completely missed your post on the bpm :p

*sniff* Thank you for explaining that, and making me look like an idiot. :p

At 5/22/11 04:05 PM, Space-Whale wrote: God i have not done DNB in so long
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 22096

Good stuff! And thank you for submitting :)

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-23 07:22:56

And thanks for the submitter Quarl :p, almost forgot!

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-05-27 16:09:36

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-02 08:48:10

Updated main post. 8 Submissions thus far, thanks everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-04 21:32:04

I think this is a really cool idea, I'm in! (Though I'm completely new to DnB so you might want to check and make sure my loop is good enough) Any help to make it better is much appreciated!

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-05 11:41:36

Here is a mix I made with current entries
http://soundcloud.com/rusted/d-b-communi ty-mix

You can and make something better because I think I am not very good at this but anyways, I wanted to try.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-05 12:10:09

That was 10 fold better than I can do with a mix. It was pretty much awesome in my eyes (though I have no idea on what is involved in making a mix or what makes a good mix). I liked it :P everyone did a really good job with their loops.

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-05 12:31:49

Yeah, good job everyone, except maybe for those who used different tempo.. Nah, just kidding

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-06 09:29:28

So any idea when all of this will be on newgrounds so I can download it?

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-07 10:30:23

Alrighties, concerning the deadline: I promised one of the submission authors that I when I would instate a deadline, it would be a minimum of 15 days from the day I announce it. Not being one to want to break a promise, the deadline it 15 days from now.

June/22/2011. I can start working on it now, but the cut off date is then.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-07 10:42:25

At 6/2/11 01:24 PM, PSvils wrote: Thought I might as well contribute :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 24431

Thank you for your submission! Sounds fantistic!

At 6/4/11 09:32 PM, JStanio wrote: I think this is a really cool idea, I'm in! (Though I'm completely new to DnB so you might want to check and make sure my loop is good enough) Any help to make it better is much appreciated!
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 24960

We all started from square one, and worked from there. I wouldn't deny a piece just because you're new! Thanks for the submission!

At 6/5/11 11:41 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: Here is a mix I made with current entries
http://soundcloud.com/rusted/d-b-communi ty-mix

You can and make something better because I think I am not very good at this but anyways, I wanted to try.

Pretty sweet mix! I might make you chairman of newgrounds of mixes! In all honesty, See PM.

At 6/5/11 12:10 PM, JStanio wrote: That was 10 fold better than I can do with a mix. It was pretty much awesome in my eyes (though I have no idea on what is involved in making a mix or what makes a good mix). I liked it :P everyone did a really good job with their loops.

Thank you :)

At 6/5/11 12:31 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: Yeah, good job everyone, except maybe for those who used different tempo.. Nah, just kidding

Thank you too! .. no wait >:(

At 6/5/11 12:56 PM, Alchemist94 wrote: Just realised how bad the mix is and how overcompressed it is, but yeah, here it is :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 25094

Great submission! Thank you!

Alright, the blog post is updated with the deadline, new submissions, links, etc.

Thanks again guyes, it's a blast hearing all of your individual styles and patterns :) It's a real blast working with you all!

http://sonicj.newgrounds.com/news/post/5 92290 updated info

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-07 10:49:03

Dang it, sorry for tripple posting. Since I would love as much involvement from the community as possible, would you guys like to suggest any final project names?

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-08 13:02:36

I agree 100% with PSvils, quality is important. That's why I wanted someone to check mine and make sure I didn't screw something up. Also mastering the final mix so all of the volumes match for each track is really important. (I noticed mine was much quieter than everyone else who was included in the mix by rusty or whoever, maybe because I put a threshold limiter on mine so it didn't exceed a certain loudness in dB?) but I trust you in mixing as far as I'm concerned.

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-10 08:21:37

I figured as long as it's not absolute crap (which I have yet to hear) it's acceptable. However, I suppose for any more submissions, we could evaluate it and ask the aouther to make any required changes. There are still 13 days left.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna do a fun little D&B project? 2011-06-12 00:55:08

BBS Signature