00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc10 - November / December Results

1,944 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

After some serious deliberation, we have reached a decision on the entries which were the best. There was fierce debate, with judges choosing four different candidates for first place initially and then narrowing down the field from there. We have finally completed our deliberations and i can announce the winners thusly:

1st Place - winner of $50 Store Credit

deadmite picks up the honours this time around, with Insanity, his tale of Andre, the super human, with one known weakness - wood. You have to read it to understand and I won't be giving the plot away.

2nd Place - winner of $40 Store Credit

ZeeAk was the most consistent with the judges, picking up a fist full of second place votes, to bring home silver with his piece, The Ransom. Dean is faced with a horrible decision and undeniable proof that life and karma are a bad mix.

3rd Place - winner of $30 Store Credit

gmercerd shows us some more promising development with the way that his writing is progressing. Hurricane Jake is his entry that tells of rather unorthadox ways of catching and killing vampires.

4th Place - winner of $20 Store Credit

BrianEtrius' piece may not have been to everyone's tastes, but it certainly was good enough to take home fourth place. Pissed is reminiscent of a piece by Neil Gaiman, though not quite as dark. With more time and practice, Nrian could be one to watch for the future. Angels and demons may not be your thing, but this one is a compelling read.

5th Place - winner of $10 Store Credit

RedVector gave us quite a discussion point, with his submission, Before The Dying Light. Somewhat macabre, there is genuine human emotion portrayed here and as a result, we could not pass on giving him a mention and some cash to go and buy at least a key ring with.

Honourable mentions go out to munio, tinytim12 and Fro, for they were also heavily mentioned within the judges' musings. Thank you to everyone for entering and for your patience. Thank you also to the judges, for without your assistence, I'd have made a complete hash of it.

I've got the latest contest to judge now with the team and in a few weeks time, a new contest will be launched, so congratulations to our winners and happy writing!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 17:53:37

Finally. Damn it, I'll win next time.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 18:01:00

At 2/16/11 05:53 PM, tinytim12 wrote: Finally. Damn it, I'll win next time.

Oh, and, I assume you'll be posting critiques?

Please don't ban me for the double post

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 18:03:18

Wow, didn't expect that result. Thanks heaps, guys, I really appreciate it.
Congratulations to deadmite on first, and everyone else who placed.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 18:25:56

Congrats to those who won, and thanks to the judges! I'm surprised I placed. As much as I'd hate to admit it, the opening part of Pissed was very close to my November 1, which is what I used as my starting point.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 18:53:28

Well, good effort from those who entered. Congratulations to those who won. I've posted a review of ALL the stories, so if you want to see what I thought of your entry, go to my profile and ctrl f yourself.

Peace.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 19:30:22

Thanks guys!!!! I really like the format deftandevil used to publish his reviews, especially as it lets us see what the judges have to say about the other entrants. That sort of thing can help us think of what to avoid writing in the future.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-16 22:00:56

The results of my story really shows what happens when you don't have time to proofread your story. I'm assuming that errors were my biggest downfall, but it probably also had something to do with it being a sequel to a story that most of the judges never read. :P

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 08:18:19

Whoa... I'm suprised I got 1st place. A great deal of the other stories were awesome, and thanks for the congratulations ZeeAk! Let's see what next month brings us all!

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 12:26:33

congratz to all the winners: Great job, i loved insanity
honorable mention: yay :D

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 13:54:28

Coop's reviews

Garage of Horrors #1 - Haloween - tyler2513
Disqualified for not reaching the word limit.

26 hours into the competition and one can't help but feel that this was rushed. With six weeks to spend getting the writing correct, you need to give this piece much more love, care and attention.

The way that the writing progresses with a string of hard fact, almost like a police captain giving one of the detectives a file and listing the points of the case, as photos and more files are dumped systematically on the desk. That would have been a nice narrative point, but from the first person perspective and with this writing style being the whole of the piece, it does feel let down.

A good use of sound to build a picture was a nice touch, but sadly, the writing let you down on this occasion. More time, more attention to detail and frankly, more practice will help you a lot.

The Assassin - Manuel TacoFace (Legodude2000)
Disjointed and ugly from the outset - you put in stage directions with the *ring* *ring* of the telephone. That doesn't need to be there and it's a poor excuse for filler material, especially when you passed the 1,000 word limit by so much.

In the early going, you've made it third person, then suddenly pulled the narrator into the fore of the tale, by making him the main character. A lot of work is required, after you've made the decision on first or third person narrative. First is more difficult, from my point of view, as you can be more descriptive in third, not having to use the character's own 'voice' to tell the tale.

There is a distinct lack of punctuation and capitalisation: ''Hey Jack, its me'' i heard from my phone, it was my companion Draster. Draster is really weird, is one perfect example, corrected below:

"Hey Jack, it's me", I heard from the phone - it was my companion, [first name] Draster. He's really weird, Contraction of it is [it's]; comma use; capital I used to indicate the self; please identify the character properly in the first instance, then shorten it to Draster, but since you've identified him, in the first sentence, a simple he will suffice following on.

You've got errors with formatting - take your time when posting to the BBS, as it looks ugly. I would certainly suggest that you take the time to download OpenOffice, or some sort of Word Processing program, as spelling errors dominate the piece, which scan reading can't even begin to comprehend.

All in all, this was never really in contention, which may sound harsh, but allow me to be positive for a moment - you have here a skeleton of a story that with careful editing and a lot more time taken can be expanded into something more fulfilling. You had the story prepared in this first draft form by 2 days into the contest - I would expect for someone that is going to pick up the plaudits for this, that they can develop it more, rather than submitting a work in progress. 6 weeks were available, please use them.

2/10, for effort

Untitled - cactus011
A dark and somewhat mysterious tale, which does have a few issues. Overall this is a decent read. Sometimes, the pace gets a little disjointed, as it goes quite quick through parts of the narrative and then it slows down, but I appreciate that finding a balance can be difficult.

The submission does look like a wall of text on the forum, so consider for future submissions having double spaces between paragraphs. This breaks up the text and gives you a much better looking piece, which can get people to stick around and read it from start to finish. The writing is genuinely good enough to do this, with a few tweaks here and there.

I think that sticking solely to first person let you down here - I personally would have made a stab for the 3rd person to narrate and 1st person for when the main character recounts what is going on. This would certainly help with the terminology that you chose - you're unlikely to get people using that sort of language in everyday conversations with police.

Naming the secondary characters can help with flow - you don't have to refer to them as "the first cop" and "the second cop" all the time and that really helps, as it gives people attachment to the piece, as they can develop an affinity for the characters, as difficult as that may seem in 1,000 - 5,000 words. Oh, and while you're at it, put a title in there, there's a good chap.

6/10

The Razors - Loushan McCrea (biglou2128)
While I'm not entirely sure that you've interpreted the story just as how I'd seen it, you've done a very good job in pursuing a suspenseful narrative. One slightly deranged old man, that drugs, rapes and murders his victims, "curing" them of their fear. I love the way that his house is constructed and the scene is set, but the one young girl that resists the fear before being administered by the cure could well have sent the old man over the edge.

If there was something that I didn't agree with in the story, it was that the old man was being evil, at least a little, by killing or entrapping youngsters. His delusion made him believe that he was right in doing this, which missed my point for the topic. What never happened was someone stopping him. Perhaps he is going to stop because of seeing this girl, but we cannot see evidence of his cessation, which was a shame, considering that there was much more space for expansion here.

7/10

The Darkness Within - RMJMYBURGH
Probably the shortest piece that we have ever received with less than 1,000 words, at 1,006, this piece, but there was the beginning of a chilling take there. Cut off in the prime, you could have expanded upon this and made it much more.

There are simple spelling and grammatical errors within the piece which must be picked out. "Too" needs to be used, instead of "to", for example and be wary of accidentally typing "out" in place of "our", since the T and R are placed adjacent to one another.

Expansion of the piece could happen if the paragraphs were fragmented a little more. Granted, the monologue of the dark spirit flowed well, except for the "A loud evil laugh filled the space." Term put in there to break it up. You can continue the monologue in a new paragraph and can progress from there. I feel that putting in your narration there just served to derail it a little.

More work on the simple side of things, combined with extending the tale a little longer, giving life to the characters would help, so working on those would seem to be a boon for you. Not there yet, but someone to watch for the future.

6/10

Untitled - wolfgirl30007
Disqualified for not reaching the word limit.

Short, and sad, this piece is a great lead into something else, so I would certainly consider doing more for it, rather than just leaving it at this stage. The obvious next scene is when she either comes around in hospital, or with her boyfriend maintaining a vigil at her bedside, reminding her of why he loves her (If you're up for that sort of scene)

I'd say that you certainly don't need to give up on this - while it was never destined to win the contest here, it is certainly worth looking further at and seeing if you can make another stab at expanding on this tale.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 13:55:09

Untitled - soulhaxor
A wall of text, crammed full of spelling mistakes and a worrying lack of punctuation. With the way that this piece looks, you might be making a stab at a first person recount and giving them a decent "I was brought up on the streets" voice. The problem is that their bad grammar shouldn't translate into yours.

If you're shortening the word "because", try shortening it to 'cos, or even 'cause, otherwise the word "cause" which you used is present in the wrong context. Also, when you displayed the exclamation about "You won't take me alive mother fuckers!!!!" try reducing the number of exclamation marks to one, it has the same feeling to it. That sentence also has a comma between alive and mother.

For my liking, this piece had too many references to popular culture and product placement. It was a little short, which could have been broken up nicely on entry to LA, for example, by moving to a new paragraph.

Downloading a spell-checker for your browser, or a program like Open Office will help the issues with spelling.

1/10</strong

Pissed - BrianEtrius
I love the fact that you used some lyrics from the Star Child to bring us in. It was a nice touch.

For me, I saw this as a cross between "Good Omens", "A Life Less Ordinary" and "Dogma" I love the way that the dark side of your writing is imitating Neil Gaiman very well these days. It's creepy, but it's also very funny.

I know that I said in my notes at the start of the contest that "borrowing from many sources is research", but did you have to go quite that far overboard? The line from the Frenchman in the castle, during Monty Python was probably the straw that broke the camel's back here - you're a good enough writer to get away with your own material, without having to rely on other pieces. That particular occurrence is a little overused for my liking, so took the sheen off the piece.

I did note that you seem to have been a little over-zealous with the spell-checker, as the word you were looking for was "Chandeliers", not "Chandlers" and to keep up to date with your French crossover, he should have yelled "Au feu!"

Overall, I think that this is one of the better pieces that we've seen, possibly lacking something for substituting the names of angels and demons to "Big S" and "BB" - you could have mentioned their name once and substituted the nickname from then onwards. Certainly this is a piece that is worthy of some plaudits.

9/10

Insanity - deadmite
A very dark and mysterious piece, this incorporates a tale of superhuman abilities with the conscience of those pulling strings and it leaves people with a lot of questions to answer.

The joy that one must experience as the author, playing games with the lives of men. Andre's brother is so detached from the tale that eliminating his is just a matter of course. Portraying the emotions that Andre experiences with his brother's demise is completely another matter. Whether or not Andre will live just beyond the end of this tale is another matter and I would like to see how this pans out. Perhaps a prequel would assist with developing the characters just a little more - were these powers present from birth, or did they manifest themselves over a few years around puberty?

The exposition of the plot was the one weakness of this, the repetition of the opening being a cheap method of tying the tale up with the flashback - perhaps shorten this to the first line of that and then launch into the next part, where Andre ends up being shouted at by the General. It seemed so quick and so scripted that Andre would find this, why not eke it out a little longer, so that he can actually do some snooping. Difficult as that may be for the super-strong, resistant to everything except wood type, but still, it would improve the tale.

8/10

The Ransom - Dr34m3r (ZeeAk)
Wow, the darkness of this sadistic little tale of crime and punishment was well told, with an ending as dramatic as the beginning. A little misinterpretation of the saint over sinner, but that's the beauty of writing. The way that the series of events unfolds in slow motion in a cause and effect scenario is well executed and the closing was very final, albeit mostly left to the reader's own imagination.

There were a few grammatical errors in the piece that could have been addressed: Where you wrote "Hell was occurred in this house", try substituting was for had. "Fake limb", not fake limp, which gave the whole scene an idea that there was a great makeup job on Jane's leg. Perhaps call it a prosthetic, but that's a judgement call.

8.5/10

Fear of the Mask - Firestormrules
A gripping thriller, straight out of Tales from the Crypt. The first person narrative does leave a little to be desired, as I felt that a third person piece would have been better, annotated with first person thoughts.

A slight issue with the aftermath of Halloween, with the piece focused around the events on the evening, as opposed to the aftermath, which was what I was after. Your ending really brings it to a place where we wanted to be starting at, so while it is a good piece, I can't give points for interpretation of the brief.
That said, the pace was good and reading it made me feel like I were there, watching helplessly as the events unfolded. Consider expanding on this and submitting it for a Halloween contest, should Tom run one for this year...

6.5/10

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 13:55:32

Beyond the Dying Light - RedVector
Setting the stage let the piece down a little with the end of the line "the towns Old quarters" You require an apostrophe for "town's" and if you are referring to the Old Quarter as a district of the town, shouldn't both words be capitalised? If not, then neither should, otherwise, it does look messy.

The use of the word "stoic" may be taken out of context here, but enduring pain or hardship without showing it isn't what I'd see as a non-reaction to worrying news. Perhaps they would have been in a relaxed state, but not stoic.

"Might, or might not have made the netherworldly shape of a V-sign." The might not just put too many questions in there for the reader - the more intelligent ones work out that might also means might not, but you're not trying to flesh this out to reach the word limit here.

Then we hit the wall - teared to pieces is a major no-no. TORN. This mistake re-appears later in the piece and since it's not even a real word, I have no choice, but to penalise for failure to use a spell-checker.

As difficult as it may be for me to say this, I think that you've gone and made the piece "too wordy". By that, I mean that there are lots of words that look out of place, particularly in the dialogues, but also in the narrative. "quasi-science" and similar references make it sound steampunk, but the piece clearly isn't. As a result, I feel that you may be losing the interest of the reader as a whole, while trying to impress someone else (the panel?)

You have struggled with terminology a little here - shook shoulders, instead of shrugged, for example and it does mean that the piece is overly difficult to read for the first two chapters.

The comic interlude was very well received and I was thoroughly relieved by the Frankenstein scene, for all of the mayhem it produced.

Then we move to the poignancy of the piece, which really hits home. Treading a fine line between decency and hard hitting drama (are you paying attention, Eastenders writers?), you've got the main character being seduced by his girlfriend, who is now in the body of a ten year old. Stopping it before anything could happen was a great idea, as having the sex act carried out would have been very difficult to score it high, as I think that would have crossed over the line.

A lot of potential here, hampered slightly by language and grammar issues, but nonetheless, a competitor to watch for over the coming year.

7/10

A Man And A Monster In An Elevator - tinytim12
Not the most inspired of titles, even taking into account that some of the pieces submitted are untitled. It seems quite cumbersome, so editing that could make the read better.

Proof reading seems to have been an issue - "having to try two times, before his shaking hand hit the switch" Replace two times with "twice" - this flows better. Occurrences like "theses", instead of "these" are elementary. Fortunately, this seems to fade out as the pace of the story kicks in.

It is a good tale, that gets the reader involved - gripping, heart-pounding activity and makes you will Luke on to defeat DJ. With the way that it unfolds, there is a really gripping take, even with the simplistic manner of the modification of the 50 calibre bullet.

The ending was a little abrupt and for me did take away from the pace of the tale. Perhaps leave it with Luke suspended in the air, perhaps even as he begins to fall. Stopping it with a fall, looking up, followed by a black screen, as opposed to a "fade to black" moment just seemed too harsh a way to end a tumultuous time for Luke. I know that this is the way that DJ works, but it might seem a little too abrupt for the reader, so softening the blow would really help.

7.5/10

Untitled - oicangi
While this piece does have the occasional glimmer of brilliance, it is rather ruined by Google translator's "inhuman" approach to the art of writing. What I can see is that underneath all of the errors in grammar and punctuation, there is a good narrative, trying to untangle itself.

What I would suggest is a little more practice in the writing stakes and perhaps asking a few of the more accomplished writers to give you tips on how to take this forward. If I could find the time, I might be able to give this the once over. The joy of it is that the story is quite short, so it would take relatively little effort to put it right, though at face value, you would barely recognise the piece, I feel.

It needs to have paragraphs, as opposed to one big wall of text, the flow needs to be worked on, as putting a comma in and rambling about something to do with the character's back story for a sentence or two just doesn't work. The formatting was poor, but that is probably down to a copy / paste into and out of the translator program. You're good enough at English to come onto Newgrounds in the first place and you can read the instructions better than some of the people with English as a primary language, so I would expect a little more effort with proofing and preparing it for release.

4/10

Untitled - munio
A quick-paced story about differing origins of St. Patrick, as told (potentially) by the legendary snake charmer himself, though from a third person perspective. I love the way that it unfolds and delivers a nice hanging question at the end, which was well thought through, but just a little clichéd.

It took a while to get going, with a few sputters along the lines of grammar: "Pádraig had not yet reaped the benefits other man's cattle" Throw an "of" in between benefits and other. "frozen knifes" should be spelled "knives". Finally, "with an sparkle in his eyes and an arrogant grin." The first "an" should only be "a", as the word does not sound like it begins with a vowel, nor does it actually begin with one.

I have to penalise for the lack of punctuation. I saw far too few commas in the piece and this does require looking at, as when I saw one in the few paragraphs toward the end, it flows much better. Try reading it aloud to yourself, as you will get the feeling when a sentence gets too long. A comma can act as a break, but not a full one, which a full stop would signify.

7/10

Hell Hole - stafffighter
This piece is a brave mission statement for all of those willing to stand and fight. I was enamoured with the defiance of this piece, though I would have appreciated a little more of the tale. A shame that the time limit seemed to get the better of you here.

With the way that you set it out at the start, I would personally have considered something a little different, but I think as opposed to grammatical errors, it's more personal choice: "These people are scared witless by something they have no context for and need to be told there's something to escape to" would have been rewritten "These people are scared witless by something that they cannot comprehend. They almost need to be told that there is somewhere for them to escape to." Furthermore, in that paragraph, you mention an OWM. Perhaps a short sentence or two would allow you to elaborate on what one of those things is and give the reader more to go with?

There is a chance for the tale to grip the reader, but the length was a little on the short side and as a result, when I was getting into it, it felt that the piece was cut short in its prime. Perhaps you will revisit this and give us what you're really capable of writing?

6/10

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 13:55:47

Hurricane Jake - gmercerd
There are glimmers of brilliance here, but I'm not convinced just yet. This piece could so easily be a lock for the top of the sheet, though one or two small errors are still lurking around, almost taunting the reader with their presence.

"he threw his arms up in the air like he just beat the Olympics." - Try substituting for "like he had just won an Olympic medal."

When Jake goes to kill the three vampires in the bank, the first one died a little too quickly, gradually becoming more and more descriptive with each kill. If one of them deserves a quick death, all of them do. Otherwise, get all three to have equally theatrical deaths, otherwise why would they be together?

The use of the hyphen is questionable at the end of the piece "As Jake howled at the moon-forgetting that it was still daytime-the rain..." This needs to be addressed, as a space between the hyphen and the word makes it a break for narrative, while omitting the space makes the words double-barrelled, thus perhaps changing their meaning, or even giving them no meaning at all.

Perhaps there was too much build up and it finished too quickly? Perhaps the flow was interrupted by chapter titles? "4: I've Got a Fever, and the Only Prescription is Dead Vampires, or, One Week Later" was particularly long-winded and distracting. In a situation like this, you don't need to waste words with giving us chapter titles. Sure, if the piece tens of thousands of words, then it might require chapter titles. Some authors do and some don't, but here, I think that it was merely a distraction.

8.5/10

The Blinding Darkness 2 - Fro
Hmm, your piece seems to have me at quite a dilemma. On one hand, you have a very nice piece of work, which is as hard hitting as each of the final slugs into the chest of the perpetrator. However, there is the issue of the lack of proofing and the fact that this is a somewhat unpolished piece. I know your style and you can do better. Not that much better, but you can certainly stand to improve upon this piece.

A chilling little tale, possibly taking the bad to good idea the complete wrong way, but what the hell? A cop turns vigilante and as a result, he becomes a monster, murdering criminals and those that would stand in the way, indiscriminately. I can see that there is a good setup with the way that the veteran cop with a dark past teams up with the rookie and I would like to see more of that. Perhaps the relationship of Sam and Troy was explored in the first piece, I haven't got around to reading it yet, but there seems to be little time to get to know the characters in this piece. A victim of the time limit, I'm afraid.

While the piece is oozing with potential, I can certainly see that more work is required to bring that potential to the front. Still, I was reaching for the popcorn, as the piece finished, which was both a good mark and a cruel indictment of the piece in itself.

6.5/10

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 14:24:32

At 2/16/11 10:00 PM, Fro wrote: The results of my story really shows what happens when you don't have time to proofread your story. I'm assuming that errors were my biggest downfall, but it probably also had something to do with it being a sequel to a story that most of the judges never read. :P

Well, the grammatical and spelling errors were a few of the things that caused your demise. However, there were far more problems in your story >.>

P.s. I read Part 1. Coop did too, and I think Deathcon might have also. That's 60% lol.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 15:04:04

Thanks coop. As always, I appreciate the criticism. You're definitely right about the hyphens; I have a boner for asides and can't quite figure out how to use them effectively. I'm going to seriously consider ceasing to use them.

You're right about the chapter headings, especially that last one.

As for the vampires that died too easily, I left a lot of that scene on the cutting room floor, and initially planned a completely different fight; it was bound to come out stupid, which I regret.

As for the thing about the Olympics, that was supposed to be a joke. It was the kind of thing Jake would have said. Unfortunately I had the narrator say it, which was clearly a mistake; he essentially breaks character for this one line. I probably should have just said "Jake flung his arms straight up."

anyway, thanks.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 15:58:43

At 2/17/11 02:24 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
Well, the grammatical and spelling errors were a few of the things that caused your demise. However, there were far more problems in your story >.>

P.s. I read Part 1. Coop did too, and I think Deathcon might have also. That's 60% lol.

When I say proof reading I mean really proof reading. Not just the errors, but the content. What you read was basically a rough sketch. An outline if you would say. I basically threw down all of my ideas on a piece of paper and you read the result. My computer was down for quite awhile and I had no chance of going through and adding the depth, adding the story that I wanted, etc... In fact, my completed version probably would have resulted in many more events and I might have had a hard time completing the submission before the word limit.

I only entered it in the competition because it was one of those situations where you just say, "You never know."

Short version: I threw up on microsoft word and had no chance to clean it up.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 16:46:13

Thanks for the critique Coop. I threw the Monty Python reference in as a subtle joke, but I didn't realize it was too much. However, the only other two sources was the James Bond quip (also as a joke) and an NCIS reference which flew well under the radar, so I'm not too sure what you mean by the sources. Unless you're referring to the history section, of course.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 17:10:33

At 2/17/11 03:58 PM, Fro wrote:
When I say proof reading I mean really proof reading. Not just the errors, but the content.

I guess you mean editing and revising. Well, that's true; if you have a great idea but you only have enough time to put some of it on paper, too much is lost in the process.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 17:40:16

After reading this I hope my story can get at least a 1.5.
I did a horrible job. Well I'll do better next time. When the reviews are in, hit me with all you got. The more I know how I screwed up, the better I can get.

"Would you kindly..."

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 17:55:58

Based on the reviews (2) that I've read, and by re-reading of the piece itself, I have come to the conclusion that some of my weaknesses are the, well, scripted-ness (not sure if that's a word) of my characters' actions, and I have to agree that the ending sequence, looking back on it, was pretty weak.
Thanks to all that have so far reviewed my stuff, as reviews show me what I should focus on. If anyone else could tell me what I could improve on, I'd be grateful!
Thanks again for the reviews, Deftandevil and Coop!

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 18:19:08

I'm glad that I made the top five, those last weeks of waiting has been a real nail-biter.
I'm sorry that my story was hampered by language and grammar issues, this is something that I will try to improve in the future. Next time I'll try to have it proof read by someone, since English is not my native language.

I really felt limited by the 5000 word limit. I really like to write at lengths with environment description. I would have liked to write more to tie the chapters together, and make the story a bit less fragmented.
I am particularly unhappy with the last chapter, which I would have liked to divide in to different chapters. As it is now, the ending is far to abrupt in my taste.

When the Literature Portal is up, I will hopefully submit this story in a longer and edited version.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-17 23:09:21

Congrats to the winners, but always remember, one can always use more practice. Don't let a win get to your head and let you get lazy and complacent with your writing and prevent you from developing further.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-18 06:17:09

At 2/17/11 05:10 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 2/17/11 03:58 PM, Fro wrote:
When I say proof reading I mean really proof reading. Not just the errors, but the content.
I guess you mean editing and revising. Well, that's true; if you have a great idea but you only have enough time to put some of it on paper, too much is lost in the process.

Don't guess that I meant editing and revising. That's exactly what I meant. :P I'm still stuck in the first grade teacher mode where there isn't such thing as editing and revising yet. It's just proof read what you wrote, read what you wrote, fix your mistakes, and proof read again.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-18 18:09:30

Congrats to the winners. I have sent out my critiques to all those who asked for them. If you would like a critique, message me or post on here.

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-18 18:25:23

At 2/18/11 06:09 PM, blakedatch wrote: Congrats to the winners. I have sent out my critiques to all those who asked for them. If you would like a critique, message me or post on here.

If it's no skin off your back, I wouldn't mind more critique.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-18 19:04:10

At 2/17/11 02:24 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 2/16/11 10:00 PM, Fro wrote: The results of my story really shows what happens when you don't have time to proofread your story. I'm assuming that errors were my biggest downfall, but it probably also had something to do with it being a sequel to a story that most of the judges never read. :P

Yeah, time was an issue - I'm not sure it would have won had it been edited and so forth, but it would have been in the running.

At 2/17/11 03:04 PM, gmercerd wrote: Thanks coop. As always, I appreciate the criticism. You're definitely right about the hyphens; I have a boner for asides and can't quite figure out how to use them effectively. I'm going to seriously consider ceasing to use them.

It's easy to remember. Space, hyphen, space. If you're relating to something for a break in the writing, then that's your best option. If you're typing a hyphenated word, there is no space, else it becomes two words.

As for the vampires that died too easily, I left a lot of that scene on the cutting room floor, and initially planned a completely different fight; it was bound to come out stupid, which I regret.

The cutting floor is a bitch. Perhaps they should have been canned altogether?

As for the thing about the Olympics, that was supposed to be a joke. It was the kind of thing Jake would have said. Unfortunately I had the narrator say it, which was clearly a mistake; he essentially breaks character for this one line. I probably should have just said "Jake flung his arms straight up."

The narrator should always be straight spoken, unless he is a character telling a story, such as Rorschach in Watchmen. Then you allow the narrator to take on the characteristics of their persona. I'd have suggested that you did it via speech - "And Hurricane Jake wins the Olympics!" He flung his arms aloft in triumph.

At 2/17/11 03:58 PM, Fro wrote: Short version: I threw up on microsoft word and had no chance to clean it up.

Eew.

At 2/17/11 04:46 PM, BrianEtrius wrote: Thanks for the critique Coop. I threw the Monty Python reference in as a subtle joke, but I didn't realize it was too much.

Maybe it's just me then? I've watched a lot of Monty Python over the years.

Besides, there isn't much to complain about, you still got the highest score from me.

At 2/17/11 05:40 PM, Optimisticperson wrote: After reading this I hope my story can get at least a 1.5.

I haven't read it yet, but you're pretty much going to get that and above from me. You wrote legibly, didn't you?

I did a horrible job. Well I'll do better next time. When the reviews are in, hit me with all you got. The more I know how I screwed up, the better I can get.

I'll have a look and we'll go from there. Sometimes, you're suited to the contest and taking your time helps a lot.

At 2/17/11 06:19 PM, RedVector wrote: I really felt limited by the 5000 word limit.

You're nott he first person to say this, but we want to keep the submissions in a readable and relatively compact format, so that we can judge them all and not forget what author 1 wrote for his.

When the Literature Portal is up, I will hopefully submit this story in a longer and edited version.

Excellent - I look forward to it.

At 2/17/11 11:09 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Congrats to the winners, but always remember, one can always use more practice. Don't let a win get to your head and let you get lazy and complacent with your writing and prevent you from developing further.

Oh indeed. My best recommendation is to print it out, then sit down for half an hour and read in through to yourself. Make any changes you need first, then run a second copy and see if you can get someone to proof read it themselves for you. I find it helps.

As for more practice, there are plenty of things that can inspire you in day-to-day life. I've just had a rant on a news post and while it was just me freely expressing myself, I feel that I've put across my side of the story. Some of my notes have been written in the heat of the moment and I hope to tidy them up, putting them to use later.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-18 21:56:14

At 2/18/11 07:04 PM, Coop wrote: Maybe it's just me then? I've watched a lot of Monty Python over the years.

I've known people who've never even heard of the show, which I ask them if they've been living in a cave. Sad, but true.

Besides, there isn't much to complain about, you still got the highest score from me.

I'm not, I'm just a perfectionist that way. Sorry, just want to keep on getting better at this craft.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc10 - November / December Results 2011-02-21 11:40:17

The Razors - Loushan McCrea (biglou2128)
While I'm not entirely sure that you've interpreted the story just as how I'd seen it, you've done a very good job in pursuing a suspenseful narrative. One slightly deranged old man, that drugs, rapes and murders his victims, "curing" them of their fear. I love the way that his house is constructed and the scene is set, but the one young girl that resists the fear before being administered by the cure could well have sent the old man over the edge.

If there was something that I didn't agree with in the story, it was that the old man was being evil, at least a little, by killing or entrapping youngsters. His delusion made him believe that he was right in doing this, which missed my point for the topic. What never happened was someone stopping him. Perhaps he is going to stop because of seeing this girl, but we cannot see evidence of his cessation, which was a shame, considering that there was much more space for expansion here.

It was an attempt at some creativity. In my eyes this guy was the villain and the hero, defeated by his own conscience. There was really never any rape haha. I am a firm believer that a story should be critiqued by interpretation, so I agree with your critique.

I could have gone further, But I really liked the story the way it is, Aside from spelling mistakes. It was meant to be read as is though, punctuation and all. I reached a point of madness while writing that I hated and enjoyed. Thank you so much. That store credit would have been nice though haha

Mechanic:"Somebody set up us the bomb. Cats:"All your base are belong to us!"