00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XToriToriX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nac Orchestral Contest Results

5,012 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Nac Orchestral Contest Results 2011-02-08 14:44:06

At the same time I'm just thrilled that we're *having* official audio contests at all, so I'll take what I can get here :D

BBS Signature

Response to Nac Orchestral Contest Results 2011-02-08 18:20:14

I think all of the awards were well-deserved. Everyone worked hard on their submissions, and I know I certainly did.

I'm not bitter in the least over receiving 2nd place. I'm extremely flattered, and to me there's no huge difference between $40 store credit for second and $50 for first. As long as people get to listen to it (which, thanks to the frontpage spot, they are), I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the support Calamaistr, but I think all of the submissions, even the ones which didn't make it, are valuable. Anything that inspires creativity is a good thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Nac Orchestral Contest Results 2011-02-08 19:08:03

Well, I apologise if you expected a classical portrayal of orchestra Calamaistr but we had a competition before doing pure classical, and it recieved so very little contestants in comparison due to it's restrictions. Which is why I imagine this was left so open.

The discussion of breaking up the "Classical" Section has always been disputed here, but at this point in time, it's not really that important now...is it? I mean, we're here out of a bit of fun, not to make an impact in industry.

I'm sorry if you found my piece generic, I tried to work different this time around, with considering every part of the orchestra, taking days to do it. I've had no formal training in composing or anything like that. I create what I'd like to hear, and I listen to a lot of movie scores because thats what I enjoy. First place was an absolute honor, but nobody is saying my track is better when it comes down to it. Our tracks are extremely different, with two very different target audiences. Like art, music is subjective. I was lucky and indeed stunned by the rewards I recieved, especially against so many talented creators.

But please remember, I didn't do this to challenge anyone but myself, to help me improve. Music is a hobby for me, it's an escapism which I use to create scenarios which would take me years to animate. This is why it's my stuff is narrative driven. I appreciate greatly where every composer here has came from, and there drives for participating. To me, this was a very fun experience, and shouldn't be taken so deeply as there is no certified formula that music can be divided by.

BBS Signature

Response to Nac Orchestral Contest Results 2011-02-08 19:59:27

Its not just your track, all blockbuster movie orchestral music is generic, i think these genres (bmo and true classical) should not ever again both be put under just 'orchestral'. The sound is incredibly recogniceable (bmo) and distinquishable from true classical orchestra. I personally wouldnt even consider bmo to be orchestral, almost always its more like bombastic ambient with as sole orchestral element the horns, hell in bmo the strings have so much reverb that they dont even sound like strings anymore. (speaking in general here not your track). Im not saying your track is bad, i just think bmo is uncomparable to true classical thus this whole contest makes no sense, then my personal taste is what says the no.2 shouldve been no.1. but whatever, in the end it doesnt matter.

And i strongly disagree with your final line but im not going to argue about it, especially not in this topic.

I hope you dont read a angry tone in my post btw, if you do its not my intention, i just talk like this.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Nac Orchestral Contest Results 2011-02-09 11:02:13

At 2/9/11 09:43 AM, Chronamut wrote: etc. etc.. etc...

The orch-NAC was originally an idea for a "classical" contest put forth by TheBenjerman. Keep in mind that this was the catalyst for the monthly contests coming back to it's current form as the NACs. I'm just happy to be taking part and being more active in the audio community.

The fact that I'm helping Chronamut is because we're both passionate about the audio portal and the monthly contest format. "PR manager" just naturally goes with the territory. I'm not just here to "fend off Chronamut's obsessive fans", heh, I'm also available to help out anyone that has questions and/or concerns about the NACs or the SNACs.

I would also like to encourage anyone who would like to become more actively involved with the NACs to contact Chronamut or myself. JoshHunsaker is also involved and will hopefully be a steady presence in the judging department. I think we can all agree to him being an excellent addition to the NAC team as he has had loads of experience in the realm of audio production.

Now let's all head off to the Space-Game NAC!

PEW! PEW! PEW!