00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Tips for Animators

8,280 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Flash Tips for Animators 2011-01-26 22:12:36

I keep seeing threads about technical issues in Flash that make me want to correct people so i thought i'd get it all out in one post and this should hopefully keep the boring threads about technical problems to a minimum.
Keep in mind i still use Flash MX (v6) and Flash 8... i dont know if all of these issues are still in the newer versions... but knowing Flash's developers, if it doesn't affect programmers it wont be touched.

-The Stream Feature-
The first prominent bug flash animators will run into is this one, which is shrugged off by Macromedia/Adobe as a feature...
Problem: Whenever there's multiple streaming audio clips in the flash with a gap between them, Flash will ignore the gaps and play each one immediately after the next.
Solution: Never have a gap between streaming clips. The most common way to do this is have a silent audio clip set to loop throughout the entire animation. (You can make any audio clip silent by editing the "Effect" on the audio.)
Protip: Having lots of different audio clips playing at once can cause lag the same as having lots of visuals on screen at once. So when you're done syncing you should export the soundtrack using FILE>EXPORT MOVIE.. then selecting .wav as the savetype. You can then use this single audio file as your soundtrack. Another benefit of this method is you can load the single file up in a sound editor and level the audio all at once.

-.97 sync-
This is another audio bug that i don't see people bitching about often but it exists in pretty much every animation. It's rare for people to notice it because it requires a long playtime to be noticeable. And given how rare it is, it gave me massive headaches trying to find the solution to it when working on the 20min+ long, morphemon duelists ep1.
If i remember correctly i found the solution, 50 pages into a google search, in a tiny forum, where the person with the problem had stumbled upon the solution himself.....and upon revealing the solution was heckled by other users about it.
Problem: The audio slowly increments out of sync with the visuals (how fast this happens depends on the framerate, at 24fps it will take about 10 minutes).
Solution: Drop your framerate by one than trail .97. So if your fps is 24, make it 23.97fps.
Protip: It's as simple as that and won't even affect the animation speed (it should still display the original framerate in the timeline's fps display). Don't ask me why it's .97 ..i don't understand the technical intricacies of it.

-Simple Library Organization (or "there's no reason to name everything!")-
If you've ever been interested in a collab you've probably seen a condition that requests you to name everything in your library so it doesn't conflict with other submitters.
It's fucking stupid and here's why...
Problem: Importing a library item to another flash that has a library item of the same name will cause a naming conflict where Flash which will overwrite one of those items.
Solution: Before copypasting in frames (and auto-importing it's clips), take all the current items in the library and place them in a FOLDER. There will be no naming conflict now.
Protip: Click one item>SHIFT+Click a different item to select those two items and everything in between them. CTRL+Click to add or remove single items from the mass selection. This works outside of Flash too... you can try it on your desktop right now.

-Don't use Movieclips, use Graphic clips-
This is dangerously close to just being tutorial stuff but i've seen enough animators with years+ experience in flash using them that i figured it's worth mentioning.
MOVIE CLIPS ARE FOR CODE, GRAPHIC CLIPS ARE FOR ANIMATION.
And buttons are just gimped Movieclips.
Reasons you should be using Graphic Clips... go look at a graphic clip's properties:
LOOP / PLAY ONCE / SINGLE FRAME (an editable number denoting which frame the clip's internal timeline is on)... this shit is controls! you dont have to loop endlessly!

-Tween Sync Bug & Feature-
Bug...
Problem: So you just finished doing a tween, then you created a blank keyframe after it, put a different clip in the keyframe and make a tween for that clip....and suddenly that clip is transformed into the previous one?!
Solution: Undo! And make sure to ALWAYS turn Sync off on in tween properties. Flash selects it by default when it really really shouldn't.
Feature...
Problem: You've got a tween of your looping graphic clip but you decide you want the tween to be shorter/longer and move a keyframe... now your loop is out of sync.
Solution: You can either reset the clip's frame manually in properties OR turn on sync to automatically sync the loop (this only works for frames being tweened though, if your messed up clip is at the end of the tween; give it a broken tween to do this) then make sure you turn off the sync once again. The fixed loop will be retained.

-Don't use Scenes, use Movieclips + the 16k frame limit-
From my experience and many animators i know... using Flash's Scenes results in a clusterfuck of bugs of every kind.
For most cases you shouldn't need Scenes OR Movieclips...having everything all in one timeline may seem disorganized at first but you'll get used to it.
However if you feel an absolute need for organization of scenes (like for a collab) or if you're going to pass the 16,000 frame limit (which Scenes won't get you around anyways) then you should use Movieclips to split up the animation.
Movieclips are the only way to get around the 16k frame limit because they have the unique feature of playing their timeline independent of the main timeline.
If you need programming help with using movieclips as scenes... go search the damn googles (or ask here).

-JPEG Quality Bug-
Problem: That JPEG QUALITY slider in publish settings doesn't affect the quality of JPEGs. Go ahead slide it to zero, your imported jpg's are completely unaffected.
Solution: Use PNG's.... the JPEG QUALITY slider works for PNGs. LOL, FLASH.

That's all i could think of.
Hope i was clear enough.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-01-27 00:08:11

You're awesome.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-01-27 00:26:14

awesome, thanks for all that info.

...there will be way less suicides caused by flash this month

ama gon chill

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-01-27 03:49:22

Awesome. Now let's just hope people who have questions about this stuff actually read this.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-01-27 16:09:43

At 1/27/11 02:06 AM, Adidaas wrote: That Jpeg quality thing has been bugging me for awhile now. I actually use PNGs too, but I still don't see a difference.

If you set the quality to 0 you should quite easily be able to see how PNGs and GIFs are lowered in quality.
It's still possible to do JPEGs but you have to do it for each JPEG...
Library>JPEG>Properties> deselect "Use imported JPEG data", manually enter quality

Also though of another minor thing...
-Prevent ugliness outside of Newgrounds-
There are websites out there with flash that don't use html encapsulation (such as 4chan's /f/). If your flash ends up posted there people will be able to see content beyond the borders.
To prevent this you should make the top layer in your animation a large solid border around the stage.
Also another issue can be that the flash by default will scale as large as the window it's being played in allows. If you don't want that to happen, place this code in the first frame to prevent scaling...
Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";
[That's AS1/2 btw, donno what that would be in AS3.]

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-02 13:04:42

bump: reason? this is helpful

ama gon chill

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-04 16:09:20

It's interesting that the original poster still uses Flash 8, since I use Flash CS3 and am considering moving back to 8. I find the newer versions don't appeal so much to animators, and have laggy bugs that tend to throw things off after a while.

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-06 12:55:57

At 2/4/11 04:09 PM, BillyNapalm wrote: It's interesting that the original poster still uses Flash 8, since I use Flash CS3 and am considering moving back to 8. I find the newer versions don't appeal so much to animators, and have laggy bugs that tend to throw things off after a while.

Yeah 8 still leaves the flash package relatively light in my opinion. The newer versions tend to get bogged down with features most artists tend to not use anyway. The only bad thing about moving back to 8 though is that in a collaborative setting, you become a big achilles heel to the team because they have to scale down their versions to accomidate you, which thanks to adobe, is a real pain to do once you get into the cs4+ versions. I still keep a copy of 8 on my computer though, if i know im not dealing with anyone and i want to embrace the warm arms of flash 8 or even mx

None

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-06 14:00:42

At 1/27/11 04:09 PM, PiGPEN wrote: There are websites out there with flash that don't use html encapsulation (such as 4chan's /f/)

:(such as 4chan's /f/)
:4chan

I'd prefer my flashes to not work entirely if they ever ended up on a 4chan server. Is there a unique script that is entirely contained within a .swf that recognizes a host and, say.. stops on a single frame? (the last one..) =P

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-07 11:12:08

It's interesting that the original poster still uses Flash 8, since I use Flash CS3 and am considering moving back to 8. I find the newer versions don't appeal so much to animators, and have laggy bugs that tend to throw things off after a while.

I actually primarily animate in FlashMX(v6). I occasionally up-port animations towards the end to make use of 8's filters. And i do games in 8 because im not man enough to start learning AS3.

:I'd prefer my flashes to not work entirely if they ever ended up on a 4chan server. Is there a unique script that is entirely contained within a .swf that recognizes a host and, say.. stops on a single frame? (the last one..) =P
Yeah that's sitelocking...
if(_root._url.indexOf("4chan.org") != -1){
_root.gotoAndStop("4chansucks");
}
that will send anyone viewing the flash on 4chan to that frame.
alternatively you can change the (!=) to an (==)...
if(_root._url.indexOf("newgrounds.com") == -1){
_root.gotoAndStop("imgayfornewgrounds");
}
which will send anyone who isn't viewing it on newgrounds to that frame.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-07 20:57:25

Many thanks, Pigpen =)

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-10 20:50:58

thanks the tip pigpen and I noticed people were having problems with lag in my flash. I am still a newbie with the program but it feels satisfying to solve its problems.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-12 10:42:54

That was awesome

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-14 00:32:31

You sir, win. Epic goddamn win

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 08:59:41

Awesome. Picked up some nice stuff.
Thanks, Pigpen!

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 09:02:55

At 1/26/11 10:12 PM, PiGPEN wrote: -Don't use Movieclips, use Graphic clips-
This is dangerously close to just being tutorial stuff but i've seen enough animators with years+ experience in flash using them that i figured it's worth mentioning.
MOVIE CLIPS ARE FOR CODE, GRAPHIC CLIPS ARE FOR ANIMATION.
Reasons you should be using Graphic Clips... go look at a graphic clip's properties:
LOOP / PLAY ONCE / SINGLE FRAME (an editable number denoting which frame the clip's internal timeline is on)... this shit is controls! you dont have to loop endlessly!

True enough, and movie clips are a pain in the ass to work with as you constantly have to make note of the frames that important shit happens on in relation to your main timeline.... but what about effects filters? I mean, I export to video always, so system strain isn't an issue for me, and I get where you're coming from with movie clips being an animator's micromanagement nightmare, but what if those layer effects are important? occasionally blurring, and more often stroke-like high-strength glows are the norm for me in terms of separating planes for depth or characters for definition.
Personally, I work everything out in the .SWF with all my characters and etc set to graphic so i can see how the flow is going, but convert them all to movie clips once im satisfied and add the effects i want. I'm kind of a flash douche though LOLOLOLOL WHO CARES IF IT DOESNT PLAY IN YOUR BROWSER AMIRITE!?!?

BTW, awesome call on the .97 thing, that's actually super arcane-yet-useful. Respect.

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 10:23:05

At 2/18/11 09:02 AM, redminus wrote: WHO CARES IF IT DOESNT PLAY IN YOUR BROWSER AMIRITE!?!?

If you really don't care you can make that shit a video.
If you do it's better to do effects in photoshop....they generally look better than flash's weak ass filters anyhow.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 12:03:01

A lil tip I picked up from The-EXP for those wanting to do animation using png graphics without it looking all jaggedy and stuff when you move them about.
After you've imported your bitmaps or whatever, open up the library and find the relevant bitmap file. Right click it and select properties. Check the box next to "Allow Smoothing". You can also change the Compression to "Lossless PNG/GIF" if you fancy. Now the graphics will look as smooth as if you were looking at them normally.

The only downside to this is it'll add to the chance of lag on slower computers, so if you're, say, doing something you want to export into video for the Youtubes or something, you may wanna learn about png sequences in order to get the best framerate, as opposed to the general Quicktime export. That though will require external programs like After Effects or some video editor.

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 15:24:01

Im new to this and taking notes

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-18 15:53:45

These are some GREAT tips. Flash has so many bugs and I nvr knew why (especially that jpg tip). Thanks soo much.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-19 01:31:07

Helpful stuff man. I'll be sure to revisit this thread again once I finally get into animation.

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-19 02:58:27

That ".97" trick is not even worth it. I know about this audio lag, and all you need to do to fix that is make the audio compressor APCDM. That's it. No 23.97 frame rate. That's how it works.

MP3 compression is the one causing the actually problem.

No!

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-19 18:35:58

At 2/6/11 12:55 PM, Luis wrote: The only bad thing about moving back to 8 though is that in a collaborative setting, you become a big achilles heel to the team because they have to scale down their versions to accomidate you,

Any animation collab that's not done in flash 8, is not worth entering.

FLASH 8 AAAALL DA WAY BABY

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-20 05:38:42

At 2/19/11 02:58 AM, Thundaboom wrote: That ".97" trick is not even worth it. I know about this audio lag, and all you need to do to fix that is make the audio compressor APCDM. That's it. No 23.97 frame rate. That's how it works.
MP3 compression is the one causing the actually problem.

You're implying that when i was aggravating over this problem that i didnt try other audio settings.
I tried EVERY audio setting. And on top of that, isn't it better to just change the framerate than to be forced to use an audio compression format you might not want to use? It's not like you have to repace anything....the animation will run at the same fps. I can't see how "That ".97" trick is not even worth it."

At 2/19/11 01:43 PM, Ansel wrote: I tried going back to 8 once on a whim and the performance is just laughable. Multiple crashes within the first hour just from drawing with the brush tool.

I never ever animate in flash 8.....generally if im drawing in it im using the pixel plugin. If you have enough ram it shouldnt really be a problem but Flash MX is definitely way more restrained with it's CPU consumption then 8 is. Not to mention the beautifully minimalist UI and bigger color picker.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-20 09:34:47

You are so cool, i like your content, and i'm interested in it%uFF01
Thanks for your sharing!

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-02-21 14:52:02

really helpful, thanks for that info

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-03-01 14:40:45

A thread like this will not keep the undying tide of technical tips threads from appearing. It won't even dent that. Everybody will always have a new question that comes up. Don't pretend to think you can do that. You did, at least, offer up solutions that are discernible by the animators around here.

I despise Flash 8. First of all, they devised another version of the scripting language. Next, they left animators in the dust no matter how many later versions were developed. Why does this keep happening? Well, it's not enough to purchase the software from Adobe... it's actually making money off your creations and petitioning to Adobe. You see, after online browser games became a possible source of advertising revenue, the programmers started pumping out casual titles like weeds. I have not heard of an animation studio that uses Flash to such an extent for any commercial project that grossed a great deal of money. Unless anybody around here actually makes a popular, profitable cartoon series or movie and gets Adobe's attention, their next version of Flash will continue to leave the animators in the dust.

Of course, the biggest problem I have with Flash 8 is how you suffer repeated crashes after using the Brush tool. Even if you save often, these occurrences add up quickly. The priority is to devise enough functioning cartoons and, later, one or two decent games with this program, and suffering through a crash within one hour of work tends to grate on the nerves a bit, especially when it's frequent.

Regardless of how bitter I can be, I will continue learning the program. Good job in answering some tricky questions and proposing unusual solutions (except that Folder trick; nobody bothers to teach people how to organize their projects. I found that refreshing). Fortunately the other poor suckers can introduce problems and solutions as well....

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-03-01 16:50:39

Thanks for all this useful info =D this is great for people who are learning like me.

The gaslights all burned out. You left me here to walk along a burial ground, I don't blame you. We all give up eventually

Misery Signals - A glimmer of hope

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-03-03 14:44:13

At 3/1/11 02:40 PM, Neophyte-Ronin wrote:
Of course, the biggest problem I have with Flash 8 is how you suffer repeated crashes after using the Brush tool. Even if you save often, these occurrences add up quickly. The priority is to devise enough functioning cartoons and, later, one or two decent games with this program, and suffering through a crash within one hour of work tends to grate on the nerves a bit, especially when it's frequent.

I primarily use Flash 8, and these accounts in this thread are some of the first I've heard of Flash 8 being a frequent crasher. Yes, I've definitely experienced it crash on me before, but it only seems to happen once in a great while. My computer is relatively old and slow, too. Honestly, I have more issues with Photoshop than Flash (not that this says much), and I always have just attributed it to my crappy computer. Surprisingly for me, Flash 8 is pretty kind to me.

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones..

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Tips for Animators 2011-03-03 21:13:24

At 3/3/11 02:44 PM, BananasFoster wrote: Surprisingly for me, Flash 8 is pretty kind to me.

Guess I must be one of the lucky ones..

Not really.
That one guy just happens to be one of the unlucky ones. Flash 8 is a pretty stable drawing/animating software for a lot of cartoonists imo.
Everything above 8 becomes more and more aimed for graphic designers and web based games.

I'm sleep deprived and started typing what I think about all the other drawing software. And I'm gonna post it because I'm retarded.

Photoshop is nice, but is more aimed on photo-manipulation or sketching.
Corolpainter (or whatever it is that mostly comes packed with a wacom) is okay but kinda resource hogging on older PCs.

Unlike Flash 8

And then there is ToonBoom....I must say....I think it's just a learning curve to get over

Everything I say is totally worthless.