00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

privateC2004 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Album Advertising Thread Guidelines

8,539 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

To be allowed to make an album-thread in the audio forum, there are a few things and requirements you must consider before getting to it.

Who can make album threads?
- First of all, the right to make album-threads is reserved to audio forum regulars. This is because the audio community is rather small and tight, and a thread advertising your album should be considered a "release-party" type thread among your online friends than an actual attempt to reach out to thge masses. In all honesty, you won't reach out to all that many people by making a thread - at least not considering the size of the current forum.

Who's a regular?
- What is considered a regular user on the audio forum then? There are no set lines for what's a regular and what's a "forum noob", but try to use your common sense here. If you've been around for a long time but rarley post, you can come across as a regular. If you've been active only a month but feel "at home" in the audio forum, you're probably considered a regular. It's important not to divide the community in "noobs" and "regulars", but when it comes to making album-threads , we do try to make a grey line.

Why can only "regulars" make these threads?
- The reasons for this is simply because we want to give the regulars a small benefit for hanging out here and being a part of the community! If there aren't a gazillion of those threads, chanses are they'll get some responces from other regulars too, and that way we can thrive together as a community to constantly improve ourselves!

Album available on NG?
- If you're intending to put the whole album in the Newgrounds Audio Portal (which is prefered, but not a must), you should not make the thread until all tunes have been uploaded. Othervice it'll just serve as a sneaky self-adv. thread, and chanses are that other regs will lose interest innit, and even get annoyed by it getting bumped every day for ten days/every week for ten weeks or similiar.
Your album does not have to be uploaded to Newgrounds, but it's prefered if at least a demo/freebee have been submitted to the Newgrounds Audio Portal. You will stand a better chanse of having your thread approved if this suggestion have been fullfilled!

"I'm really after some massive exposure..."
- Like mentioned, there are many better ways to reach out and recieve exposure from the masses. A few good tips and ideas are mentioned in this thread.

Put some effort into the music!
- If you spit out seven songs that are ill produced/mixed, you're not allowed to make an album thread. Of course everyone are at different levels when it comes to making music, but the point of this is that you should push yourself to put some effort and pride into your work!

Put some effort into the original post!
- When you write your album-thread, be sure to put some effort into what you write. Make it look good and structured, perhaps tell a little something about the creation - you're warmly welcome to try to raise some technical (and/or artistic) aspects, so that there is something to actually discuss in the thread. This will also help keeping the thread alive, which should be very much in the OP's interest.

Album artwork
- Album art is a big pro, and will make things look more serious. Add some in the OP if you have any! You can try to hook up people making artwork through the art-forum by placing a request in this thread.
Remember that if you want really good artwork, you could perhaps offer some money for it?! Be sure to read through the thread before placing a request!

If in doubt...
...ask BBS moderator who is active in the audio forum what goes and what doesn't! You can of course post in here too, if you want.

All BBS moderators...
...will of course reserve the right to shut your thread down. If this happens, a reason should be given. If there is no reason, contact your local BBS-mod who's active in the audio forum and ask what's up, or post in this thread!

Other
- Discuss making albums, distributing physical and /or e-albums and other album-related issues in this thread if you wish! This thread have been set up so that there is a more "official" record of what goes and what doesn't. Rules and guidlines may change, be sure to check through the last page(s) in this thread of what's new!

GOGOGO NEWGROUNDS AUDIO ARTISTS WHO MAKES FULL ALBUMS!

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 17:31:07

bookmarked

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:33:46

um, to be honest...
what does OP stand for...

also, this counts for EPs right?

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:34:39

At 1/15/11 06:33 PM, dj-Jo wrote: um, to be honest...

Opening Post.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:37:00

lol okay :)

I will be releasing an EP rather soon (once I get 2 more songs done and the EP art)
Thanks for the advice!

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:37:25

This is great Rucklo..thank you.

I remember a few times in the audio forums when a "reg" had posted an album thread which of course was received very well by all until an argument about the infamous "Audio Advertisements" thread was brought up by a few regs and a plethora of newer unknown (to this forum) users.

If i remember correctly it also started 2 or 3 more album threads within that week of unknown users with barely any post count. Not that post count is incredibly important BUT if its below 30 and your sign up date was a week ago then yes, that would be considered an unknown user. Of course a debate was born and each thread turned into a shitstorm of "But if he can do it why cant I?". At the end of the argument it was implied that only well respected members of this forum were allowed to post album threads.

Although recently i dont believe it has been an issue, it is always nice to have an official explanation.
Now we have a definition (a loose one, but still a definition) of a "Reg" or "Well Respected User" when it comes to album threads

Ditto on the bookmark

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:46:26

It would be good when somone makes an album thread, that it references to this thread, just toss in a link in the OP.

At 1/15/11 06:34 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Opening Post.

...or Original Post. The creator can be referd to as "OP" too, meaning Original/Opening Poster. :3

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 18:51:28

Fantastic post, adding to my NGAF quickies (bookmarks bar dropdown for pwning at noobthreads =3 ).

I suppose that the people who've hung out here for a while (months, years?) and have been active in the last couple of months could sort of be the judge of who is a regular. Mostly in a way that "who the fuck are you?" makes for a non-regular.

Anyway, it's good to have this, as it will probably clear up many debates before they're even probably started in the future. :)

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 19:06:45

Even as a new member to this forum I must say this is a good idea... I may be new to this forum but I'm not new to music production and have been on a few other sites long enough to understand that plenty of people just try to "spam" their album wherever they can and this is not acceptable.

Bookmarked

Also, let's say I produced the beats for, and recorded my homie who's a rapper for his album... would it be acceptable to post it even though he's the rapper and I'm the producer? Or what if I produced a dubstep album but wanted to sell it via a site such as Bandcamp, if i threw a few freebies up here on NG would it still be ok to make an album post?

I think those questions should be cleared up before situations like that arise, because we all know they bound to happen eventually.

My latest DnB creation finished on March 7th - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/404636

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-15 20:23:40

At 1/15/11 06:51 PM, Mich wrote: Fantastic post, adding to my NGAF quickies (bookmarks bar dropdown for pwning at noobthreads =3 ).

I suppose that the people who've hung out here for a while (months, years?) and have been active in the last couple of months could sort of be the judge of who is a regular. Mostly in a way that "who the fuck are you?" makes for a non-regular.

At the end of the day, it's up to the BBS-moderators what stays and what gets locked/deleted. Serious opinions from any regular are of course welcome, but if there's an album thread by somone new and he/she/it gets greeted with "who the fuck are you gtfo"-type bullshit, be sure that the offender can get his/hers/its ass banned. I just want to point out that overall we have a great forum with alot of helpful users - which is something we've strived for - but backseatmodding isn't allowed, and that for a reason.

Generally, if there's something that's fucked up with an administrative action performed by a mod, the mod in question should be talked to first and foremost. That's how things work IRL too, noone likes being talked about behind his/hers back, or if compared to a company, where the middle-manager lead gets skipped by an employee "with a lower rank". None of the higher ups will like it. And yes, in this fact BBS-moderators would be the "middle managers" on the BBS-turf, that's how this forum roll.

My whole point here is that I don't want to see people starting to judge who's a regular and who isn't. that bullshit helps dividing the commuinty in a way that isn't wanted. It especially goes for the "oh i've been here longer than you so shush"-type of behaviour too. That's a complete lack of respect from the so called "elder" users who walze around with such an attitude. I personally expect the complete opposite from people who've been around for a long time.

At 1/15/11 07:06 PM, RedRavenRuler wrote: Even as a new member to this forum I must say this is a good idea... I may be new to this forum but I'm not new to music production and have been on a few other sites long enough to understand that plenty of people just try to "spam" their album wherever they can and this is not acceptable.

Yeah, for clarification if you're new;
- We've had many similiar threads in the past about albums and whatnot, and it ended up with more or less complete restriction, unless you contacted a moderator and asked for approval. I think it's way better to allow as much as possible, and reach out the hand and point out what's OK and what's not instead of saying "it ain't allowed, but contact a mod and maybe it can pass..."

Also, let's say I produced the beats for, and recorded my homie who's a rapper for his album... would it be acceptable to post it even though he's the rapper and I'm the producer? Or what if I produced a dubstep album but wanted to sell it via a site such as Bandcamp, if i threw a few freebies up here on NG would it still be ok to make an album post?

If you're collabing with somone else, it's still OK to make an album advertisement thread. Only one thread though, of course.

As in the case of selling - somone who hasn't been active in this forum or on Newgrounds overall generally won't be allowed to make threads to advertise their albums. As a rule of thumb, the lesser known you are on here, the higher the standard of your material must be. If you as a reasonably new user made an album, sell it through beatport or whatever, then I'd suggest you hang out here for a few weeks, post some demos/freebees to the AP to try to establish yourself.

Again, this is a forum that's for discussing audio techniques etc, not a place to reach out to the masses. Album threads should too be subjects of discussion primarily.
Fact is that you probably won't reach all too far by making a thread here, other than the possible respect and awe from your fellow NG'ers.

I think those questions should be cleared up before situations like that arise, because we all know they bound to happen eventually.

PLEASE NOTE
- EP's initially aren't considered full albums, and will have a rougher time getting thread approval.

- Other work than album CAN be allowed to have separate threads. F.ex. if you've scored a movie, made SFX for a game or whatever, and wish to make a big deal out of technical issues etc. that might be OK - providing you're bringing up something discussion-worthy, as this as a forum where we're supposed to actually discuss stuff.

FEEL FREE TO POST DRAFTS IN THIS THREAD
- yup, that's ok.

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 04:43:15

At 1/15/11 08:23 PM, Rucklo wrote: At the end of the day, it's up to the BBS-moderators what stays and what gets locked/deleted. Serious opinions from any regular are of course welcome, but if there's an album thread by somone new and he/she/it gets greeted with "who the fuck are you gtfo"-type bullshit, be sure that the offender can get his/hers/its ass banned.

Well, I suppose I didn't phrase that properly in the way I had it in mind. I meant it more as if our initial reaction (in our head, not on the actual bbs) is "who the fuck are you". Of course it's common courtesy not to say these things 'out loud' on the bbs; at least not in this forum. ;)

Generally, if there's something that's fucked up with an administrative action performed by a mod, the mod in question should be talked to first and foremost. That's how things work IRL too, noone likes being talked about behind his/hers back, or if compared to a company, where the middle-manager lead gets skipped by an employee "with a lower rank". None of the higher ups will like it. And yes, in this fact BBS-moderators would be the "middle managers" on the BBS-turf, that's how this forum roll.

I realize and respect that in the end, the BBS mods are the ones managing the forums, and I'm not questioning anything about the decisions made. However, I do believe it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone on the audio forum to just PM a BBS mod to have them look into it, if said audio forum user believes there's a "random" user advertising their album.

My whole point here is that I don't want to see people starting to judge who's a regular and who isn't. that bullshit helps dividing the commuinty in a way that isn't wanted. It especially goes for the "oh i've been here longer than you so shush"-type of behaviour too. That's a complete lack of respect from the so called "elder" users who walze around with such an attitude. I personally expect the complete opposite from people who've been around for a long time.

If we would all do that, I don't believe that we'd have so many new users integrate in our tight community over the time. I do believe that the people that have hung out around here for a while should be helping out the newer ones, so they know where everything is, and what the customs around here are. I'm glad to see that that is exactly what happens most of the time.

Here's hoping this reply doesn't come out looking shit.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 04:50:36

Gah. I wonder if I'm a reg. Probably not because i'm a underground type of guy. This is useful information dood, I'm glad I have been informed. Although when I finish(andthereforebegin) work on my album i'll post a topic about the achievement but mostly about developing on newgrounds, the power of the internet, and how modern tools make music making easier such and such. Afterwards I'll just whore like everyone else.

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 05:05:09

I can't wait to finish my album and advertise it here and make millions!

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 06:20:18

Nice thread, it's good to see some feedback here once in a while.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 10:24:09

At 1/16/11 05:05 AM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: I can't wait to finish my album and advertise it here and make millions!

^haha, this!

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 10:37:36

At 1/16/11 05:05 AM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: I can't wait to finish my album and advertise it here and make millions!

That's the spirit!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 20:06:25

What about threads advertising other NG peoples releases?

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 22:14:25

At 1/16/11 08:06 PM, SineRider wrote: What about threads advertising other NG peoples releases?

I don't see why an NG member would need another NG member to advertise their stuff. If they themselves aren't hanging out here regularly, I don't see why they should use somone who does, jsut to advertise their music. Again I'd like to remind the fact that advertising an album in here shouldn't mainly be for the exposure, as it's pretty slim anyway, but rather to have something to discuss. It's for regular users mainly. If you want to discuss a certain point/technique with somone elses music, you can go ahead and make a thread - but if the thread only seem to promote the music and to reach out to the masses, the thread will be deleted.

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-16 22:48:03

At 1/16/11 10:14 PM, Rucklo wrote:
At 1/16/11 08:06 PM, SineRider wrote: What about threads advertising other NG peoples releases?
I don't see why an NG member would need another NG member to advertise their stuff.

Well I'm just bringing this up as I remember sometime last year Kingbastard made a thread about one of my releases on his own whim. I just was curious what the general consensus was on that.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-17 11:03:44

So does this mean that I can advertise for my bands latest release here? I recently uploaded the whole thing in the audio portal.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-17 12:08:21

At 1/15/11 06:34 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Opening Post.

Original Poster.

Go to general please.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-17 15:13:13

Rucklo for King of Wall of Text 2011

I read the entirety of the first post and skimmed through the other posts, but I don't know if you can advertise threads for physical CDs or have any way to get said physical CDs onto the NG Store if applicable.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-01-18 06:23:15

At 1/17/11 03:13 PM, Spikrodd wrote: Rucklo for King of Wall of Text 2011

A wall of text lack punctuation and space inbetween the text.

I read the entirety of the first post and skimmed through the other posts, but I don't know if you can advertise threads for physical CDs or have any way to get said physical CDs onto the NG Store if applicable.

You can advertise for both physical and e-albums. If you want your physical CD in the NG (as there is no way to sell e-albums through NG, yet, anyway), you should check with Tom.

Wakka wakka

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-09-27 07:35:53

At 9/27/11 07:22 AM, Space-Whale wrote: Would you guys consider me a regular here?

I dont think I have ever seen anyone post as much as you do, so I say yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-09-27 15:12:14

Ok :) I guess i won't make a next album thread since F-777 nor I are regulars here :)
I agree with your guidelines tho!

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2011-09-27 16:15:56

At 9/27/11 03:12 PM, Kr1z wrote: Ok :) I guess i won't make a next album thread since F-777 nor I are regulars here :)
I agree with your guidelines tho!

I would post it, since many people have partaken in the contest(remix dealy) and yall are rather frequent posters who have taken part in competitions n stuff.

But whatevs ya feel like.

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2013-02-26 23:02:11

Are iTunes albums allowed? It's the only place I really "released" the album, but I understand if it's not since they only allow 30 second previews...

<Professional Audio Specialist>

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2013-02-27 10:41:15

At 2/27/13 05:17 AM, Cabbster wrote:
At 2/26/13 11:02 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: Are iTunes albums allowed? It's the only place I really "released" the album, but I understand if it's not since they only allow 30 second previews...
What I take from op is that basically any website is allowed, as long as the content features your (full) album. But it's preferred to be on NG.

I mean, all the tracks are there, but you can only hear 30 seconds.

Also, If you were to release an album via NG, it would just be a bunch of separate links :(

<Professional Audio Specialist>

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2013-02-27 21:12:20

At 2/27/13 10:41 AM, deadlyfishes wrote: Also, If you were to release an album via NG, it would just be a bunch of separate links :(

You can make playlists on Newgrounds nowadays can't you. Maybe you can make one link to the playlist of your entire album. Just an idea though. I've never tried the playlist option.

BBS Signature

Response to Album Advertising Thread Guidelines 2013-03-10 14:59:36

I finished my jazz EP. I have it uploaded on Soundcloud. I've been producing since January 2013, so leave your opinions and advice please :)
https://soundcloud.com/derricksmusic/sets/last-show-of-the-n ight