00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mibrudabot1225 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-16 23:11:43

So, I have been working almost every night for the past month on the newest "Maynard & Cleetus" cartoon, which everyone is telling me is pretty damn funny and interactive, BUT..... It's freakin HUGE, and I really don't want to break it up into Parts 1, 2 & 3, cuz it won't make much sense. I'm sittin around 2.2 meg right now and still not done. What is the size limit on NG, and how big can it be before people get pissed off?

Thanx...

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-16 23:35:48

Eh, don't worry about size. Just email it to Tom. If you've been working on it for a month then it's most likely good enough that he'll put it up for you.

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-17 14:15:42

SHIT!, i best start worrying, my flash aint finished yet and its fuckin 3.5 megs :O

man i got some problems, no bitch is gonna wait for that.

-BEAST

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-17 14:45:06

At 3/17/01 02:15 PM, BEAST wrote: -BEAST

Yo beast!

Cut down the music, or lower the music quality and if that's not possible then what everybody should do to spare the viewer some time is convert stereo to mono and if your movie doesn't have any sound and is 3 megs. Then i would like to ask how the fuck you got it so big...

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-17 15:03:39

You can try optimizing every single drawing you made for starter.
Modify->Optimize (Ctr-alt-Shift-C). If your movie is actually 3megs, after you're done, it should weight more like 2.5 megs. Then you can work on the sounds (when you publish your movie, play with the sound settings in the flash section) You can also decrease framerate (Modify->Movie) or even reuse symbols.

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-18 13:30:07

Make sure you stream all of your sound, thats probably why its so big cause graphics wont make it shoot up that much unless you have like 3000 frames of high quality graphics

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-18 17:57:16

might sound like a stupid idea, but why not have more than one loading screen?
if done well it really works.
Just load up a lil bit of the movie to start with
and then at various points just have extra loading screen (if it works with your flash)
this tends to work better with games, but y'never know, if it was done well...
However it doesn;t work at all, if you have plenty of frame by frame anim, as well, you wouldn't be able to load enough of it before the next loading screen

just a thought if your that concerned about it..
because i aint going going to sit for 2mb and just one loading screen :)

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-19 07:21:32

At 3/17/01 02:45 PM, hannetz wrote:
At 3/17/01 02:15 PM, BEAST wrote: -BEAST
Yo beast!

Cut down the music, or lower the music quality and if that's not possible then what everybody should do to spare the viewer some time is convert stereo to mono and if your movie doesn't have any sound and is 3 megs. Then i would like to ask how the fuck you got it so big...

I tried this, i cut out every god damn peice of music there was, and the file size was still 3 megs, lol. I will have to say that the graphics are what makes it soooo big, not licking my arse, but they are kinda detiled and intense. As for putting more than 1 loading screen in, i have 2, and i cant really add anymore coz its a movie, and it would piss ppl off, just about to get goo and then it loads again.

i just dont know what to do anymore, ARGHHHH, and there is only a bit of frame by frame animation, a bit of 3D, and i have smoothed everything, i just cant make it smaller. the .FLA is flippin 156 megs :)

HELP ME!!!

-BEAST

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-19 07:23:02

At 3/18/01 01:30 PM, cusinwaltr wrote: Make sure you stream all of your sound, thats probably why its so big cause graphics wont make it shoot up that much unless you have like 3000 frames of high quality graphics

Thats exactly what i got lol, but then add another 3000 on top of that, lol

dammit

-BEAST

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-19 07:28:12

At 3/17/01 03:03 PM, EricMelvin wrote: You can try optimizing every single drawing you made for starter.
Modify->Optimize (Ctr-alt-Shift-C). If your movie is actually 3megs, after you're done, it should weight more like 2.5 megs. Then you can work on the sounds (when you publish your movie, play with the sound settings in the flash section) You can also decrease framerate (Modify->Movie) or even reuse symbols.

HAHAHA, i pretty much stole this topic, lol, the poster aint even replied to any of these, lol

sorry for replying to all these individually aswell, i like to waste space. talking about wasting space, back to my anim, i can see one problem, my credits take up 200k :) hehe, thats because it scrolls from bottom to top, its a bit of an arse.

right i am gonna try that optimizing bollox, see what happens, and the sound could be tweeked a bit, but the problem is, its not all in one scene, so i cant really satream the sound, i have about 80 fuckin scenes, so NO! i aint puttin it all into one!

oh yeah, and everything is a symbol, and i have reused as amny as i can without making it look to reused and obvoius. though i have 1200 symbols in my libraray, lol, maybe i could use a few more, :)

-BEAST

cheers for yur help ppl, i much appreciate it, damm flash is startin to PISS me off!

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-19 17:18:38

At 3/19/01 07:28 AM, BEAST wrote: damm flash is startin to PISS me off!

Well if this makes you feel any better, I would wait for your movies to load no matter what the size, they kick ass and i love em all! But thats just me...

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-20 12:17:50

You can try making a funny loading sequence so we'll have something to do while waiting for it to load...

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-20 15:05:41

At 3/20/01 12:17 PM, hannetz wrote: You can try making a funny loading sequence so we'll have something to do while waiting for it to load...

hmmmm, funny wouldnt really go with the anim, its kinda more serious, but there is a bit to keep ya goin, there is a percent loader, a download speed thing that tells ya..well... ya download speedd, , it says the time left till its loaded, there is a scene select, a terrorist theroy to read, ummm... you can toggle the quality, woohoo :), and some other stuff. ARrr fuckit, go watc it now, there is a version on my site, hehe i have plugged this so much on the BBS, sorry, any way, look for a link called "skippy", its underneath my interface, cmon, go go go, its only 95% done though, and the sound aint right, need to be changed, so ignore it.

-BEAST

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-21 13:58:55

Dang - I got a whole bunch of answers to questions I never even asked. I got the File Optimization Flux Capacitor Working at 3500000 rpm. Guess what? I'm leaving it! (HOOOOOWEEEEE)

I have a 3 meg file and I don't think I wanna change a thing actually...... but I would still like to know the 2 answers to those questions still (I've seen allot of great suggestions, don't get me wrong here - it's all good;)

(by the way, i was not so cocky before i got a cable modem - hehe)

But can anyone answer this:

Is there a file size limit to .swf's on NG?

When do people start getting pissed (size wise that is)
at file size?

And now that I think of it - whatduphukiz the difference between waiting for 6 kick-ass .swf's and 1 3 meg swf? - i even skimped on my pre-loader to keep file size down, however, I'm thinking of making the all-new-improved "Poopie Generator" that people can push while waiting for the movie to download.

All replies are appreciated

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-21 21:58:57

OK..... so now I finally found it 2 megs is the max, so I will have to e-mail it to Tom - to bad he's on vacation.... oh well the world will have to wait for Maynard's Gameshow Nightmare!

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-22 09:51:21

Beast... just make something that you can do while the movie loads. but no fucken sound, cuz that's just irritating.

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-22 13:13:40

At 3/22/01 09:51 AM, hannetz wrote: Beast... just make something that you can do while the movie loads. but no fucken sound, cuz that's just irritating.

like what, there is sound, sorry man, i dont know hat i could put???, go check it out at my site, the 95% done version, and lemme know if it needs anymore for the preloading part.

Echo27

then click on the first box on the left, and select Hostage Situation 2.

The music isnt in your face annoting, but i guess i could make it so you can toggle it on or off.

-BEAST

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-23 08:46:06

I'll sheck it out tomorrow at home... cuz there is no sound on this computer (i'm at the library)

Response to Big Ass SWF? 2001-03-27 22:24:59

Well, I got it down to 3 minutes load time for a 56k modem (almost 3 meg file!) "Maynard's Gameshow Nightmare" - not sure when Tom is gonna put it on the site, I just e-mailed it to him