00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Contests, Collabing, Etc.

13,195 Views | 51 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:48:03

Coop has announced the first Monthly Writing Contest of the new year! This one is really ambitious, where you need to create a story or concept to go along with a song in the Audio Portal, the goal being to write something so good, an artist will then want to animate it! Everyone would be credited in the final production. See Coop's post for more details.

Goat-Man has announced auditions for Did You Hear That? Volume 3. Each participant contributes one sound effect, at which point GM puts them in random order and each person animates an individual cartoon set to that soundtrack. It's a neat collab and a great opportunity to get involved! Here's how Volume 2 turned out:

Another recently completed and inspiring collab was the 24HRC:

Led by RicePirate, a group of artists each took on chunks of a storyboard to complete a unified story. There will no doubt be more 24 hour collabs in the future so keep an eye out!

At the top of the front page we're currently featuring BearBound, one of the stars of the latest NG Game Jam.

So yeah... SOME GOOD COLLABING GOING ON.

Through the ongoing process of updating thumbnails and genre info, we revisited the 2006 works of Matt Sandbrook this past week, such as:

Matt just happens to have submitted a Christmas movie, after a four year lull.

deadlock32 could use some votes of support for his child resistant marker/pen container concept on Quirky! It's a neat site where you submit invention ideas and if the community gets behind them, they get made.

Six days remain for the current voice acting competition.

Only three days remain to vote for the Best of December! Check your account page to see if you're part of the voting pool.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:49:48

Almost forgot to vote.
And that Coop character shows up yet again. Good read, Tom.

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:51:03

Hi tom! when are you going to tell us the winners of the jam? :D

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:52:20

This contest of writing intrigues me... it does every time, but I never end up writing.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:53:12

At 1/4/11 03:51 PM, MonoFlauta wrote: Hi tom! when are you going to tell us the winners of the jam? :D

also, can you publish our game with the bearbound one? ours in score is second, and i think both are really good :)

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:57:44

It's pretty safe to assume Bearbound won the game jam (for good reason too, it was well-crafted and fun to explore), so is it the only game jam game that will be featured though?

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 15:59:27

At 1/4/11 03:57 PM, LDAF wrote: It's pretty safe to assume Bearbound won the game jam (for good reason too, it was well-crafted and fun to explore), so is it the only game jam game that will be featured though?

i think that ours is awesome too, the problem is that ours 0 bombered a lot, and we didnt get the front page fast and less the featured one. That is really a problem for us, i hope the quality of the game is evaluated and not only the score and that, because, i am not saying our game is the best one, but has really good chances to win.

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:03:53

So yeah, as Tom said, 6 days remain for the voice acting contest!

If you end up winning, here is what you will get!

1st Place - $60 + Fabulous Front Page

2nd Place - $40 + Delicious Front Page

3rd Place - $20 + Sexy Front Page

4th Place - $0 + Fapping Front Page

I have always enjoyed Newgrounds because the community really can come together to create awesome things. I love collabs :D

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:04:00

At 1/4/11 03:59 PM, MonoFlauta wrote: i think that ours is awesome too, the problem is that ours 0 bombered a lot, and we didnt get the front page fast and less the featured one. That is really a problem for us, i hope the quality of the game is evaluated and not only the score and that, because, i am not saying our game is the best one, but has really good chances to win.

Actually, most of the games that hit the front page had a drastic reduction in score - they had been the top scored submissions in the collection, but the FP response nudged them all down the list, with the exception of BearBound which held onto its spot. I'm cycling more through front page this week so the scores will likely continue to change as they get more votes. The user votes don't ultimately determine the winners, though.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:10:23

Can't wait to see all of the results , and speaking of contests matt-likes-swords is having a Create a Foe contest for Epic Battle Fantasy 4 .

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:13:19

Yes, there have been some good collabs. Also Tom, you should have mentioned the users to vote on Jazza's Music Video.

$$$ | Strawberry Dodge | Abusive Reviews! | Sig by TheDingo

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:20:16

At 1/4/11 03:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: Coop has announced the first Monthly Writing Contest of the new year! This one is really ambitious, where you need to create a story or concept to go along with a song in the Audio Portal, the goal being to write something so good, an artist will then want to animate it! Everyone would be credited in the final production. See Coop's post for more details.

Thanks Tom! I'm looking forward to not only reviewing the submissions this time around, but watching the creations that spawn from this, as I'd love to see everyone clubbing together :D

At 1/4/11 03:49 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: And that Coop character shows up yet again. Good read, Tom.

Oh yeah, he does that every now and again.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:28:31

Good read, but there is a problem with the contest for me though.... I can only record .wav format.

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:31:33

Thanks for the heads up Tom. Looks like there's some interesting collabing going on at the moment. I'm looking forward to the submissions that will sprout from those contests and ideas.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:35:47

A lot of great stuff going on! I have two collabs going on right now myself!

The Screw Collab 3 and Voice Actors are People Too Collab!

And Tom, did ya get that thing I sent ya?

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:42:16

The Chrono Trigger Collab seem'd kinda fun
Here

<make>Funny joke</make>

ERROR Unable to make a "Funny joke"

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 16:57:36

Thanks for the shout out!

HUMPS!

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:14:51

At 1/4/11 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: Actually, most of the games that hit the front page had a drastic reduction in score - they had been the top scored submissions in the collection, but the FP response nudged them all down the list, with the exception of BearBound which held onto its spot. I'm cycling more through front page this week so the scores will likely continue to change as they get more votes. The user votes don't ultimately determine the winners, though.

First off thanks for featuring BearBound, it was a nice surprise today to see it in the featured box. It's a great thing for TurkeyOnAStick and ChartsOverHearts, since this is both of their first games. Others in the game jam think that we have won but it's still anyone's game.

BearBound's strength was gauging the scope of the game to fit the time allowed. We didn't really reach for anything extremely complex. Other games went for much loftier goals and didn't finish in time, or were very buggy. But there are quite a few great games in the mix that got near the sweetspot of getting the game done and doing something unique.

I think that BearBound has a shot at winning but it isn't the only one that's for sure.

Visit JackSmack.com and submit your Flash Games!

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:15:49

At 1/4/11 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: Actually, most of the games that hit the front page had a drastic reduction in score - they had been the top scored submissions in the collection, but the FP response nudged them all down the list, with the exception of BearBound which held onto its spot. I'm cycling more through front page this week so the scores will likely continue to change as they get more votes. The user votes don't ultimately determine the winners, though.

ok thanks tom for telling me that :) i will wait for the winners then :) ps: when you say them? :P

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:46:31

Until next time, blue header...

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:50:39

At 1/4/11 03:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: Coop has announced the first Monthly Writing Contest of the new year! This one is really ambitious, where you need to create a story or concept to go along with a song in the Audio Portal, the goal being to write something so good, an artist will then want to animate it! Everyone would be credited in the final production. See Coop's post for more details.

Sounds like that Fantasia idea I gave you. I might write something if I'm not too busy.

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:52:03

I've been involved with too many collapsed collabs to trust people. Then again, picking people at random isn't a very good selection technique. Seems like more people are following through now-a-days tho.

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:56:38

we need animator jams. fuck you programmers!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:56:54

Still waiting for the fucking troll physics collab to get submitted.

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 17:56:59

except you Tom. cause you can fire me.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 18:04:18

At 1/4/11 03:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: Only three days remain to vote for the Best of December!

Ha! The joke's on you, I'm a non-voting felon

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 18:09:38

At 1/4/11 05:56 PM, Luis wrote: except you Tom. cause you can fire me.

What are you paid for anyway? Writing stupid posts and cleaning the toilets?

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 18:21:33

At 1/4/11 06:09 PM, Tiki-King wrote:

theres good money in that. yes.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 18:43:19

Thanks for the promo Tom :)
Hopefully it arouses the interest of some more animators out there!

sexually that is

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Contests, Collabing, Etc. 2011-01-04 19:09:59

At 1/4/11 06:21 PM, Luis wrote:
At 1/4/11 06:09 PM, Tiki-King wrote:
theres good money in that. yes.

Aww i wish i'd get paid for Writing these nonsensical posts and cleaning the toilets :(

<make>Funny joke</make>

ERROR Unable to make a "Funny joke"