00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How can people give low ratings???

2,543 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Without giving you a reason why?

Especially if someone's new here?

I don't know if a lot of this community listens to the Hip Hop(Old School) area, but that's where I submit my music, as I'm not a big fan of the mainstream hip hop in the current age(mainly indie and people few hear about).

How can I get more reviews? I review all the time, but I don't get very many reviews.

I'm not saying that my music is the best ever, but's definitely better than average.

A tribute to the Ace Attorney Series and OST. I have so much respect for both of those, that I decided to start my own Remix series.

Here is the link to Volume 1

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 15:07:03

At 12/9/10 03:01 PM, eppskevin wrote: Without giving you a reason why?

Especially if someone's new here?

I don't know if a lot of this community listens to the Hip Hop(Old School) area, but that's where I submit my music, as I'm not a big fan of the mainstream hip hop in the current age(mainly indie and people few hear about).

How can I get more reviews? I review all the time, but I don't get very many reviews.

I'm not saying that my music is the best ever, but's definitely better than average.

Those low ratings probably come from what we call '0-bombers'. These are assholes who vote 0 on other tracks and 5 on their own so their songs can get to the top. Every genre goes through 0-bombers, and some more popular genres go through them more than others. It's a reality we all have to face until the redesign which might fix the problem of people voting 0 on other tracks for no reason.

Also, to get more reviews, here's a massive essay I wrote about getting exposure which might help you out.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 15:11:27

Ahh, ok.

Well that does make sense...

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look at your essay.

Thanks!

A tribute to the Ace Attorney Series and OST. I have so much respect for both of those, that I decided to start my own Remix series.

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 15:14:00

Haha! You weren't kidding about it being massive, lol

I may need my Kindle for it, ;)

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 16:07:04

How can people give low ratings? Here, I'll show you... Oh, your scores just went down!
(Before you start freaking out, I did not actually zero bomb you, this is called a joke, unheard of, I know)

At 12/9/10 03:44 PM, B0UNC3 wrote:
At 12/9/10 03:07 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Those low ratings probably come from what we call '0-bombers'. These are assholes who vote 0 on other tracks and 5 on their own so their songs can get to the top.
By this logic I'm going to start flaming everyone with a highscore for being a 0 voter.

I'd have to agree, I tend to hover around the 4-4.3 ratings (With most of my newer stuff anyways) usually, and I rarely even browse the audio portal, let alone vote on anything.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 16:11:45

90% of my tracks get downrated the instant I upload them.
Once actual people start discovering it they shoot up to around 3.5 - 4.4 depending.

My tactic is- upload, wait a day, vote a 5 which usually brings me to an average rating so that people don't get turned off by the low score. (Save for some of my actually bad songs, in which I just leave them as is because I am not an ass. D: )

It's worked out so far and I see no harm in my tactic as it is not a total counter against 0-bombers, but at least it's an elevation.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 16:14:45

At 12/9/10 03:44 PM, B0UNC3 wrote:
At 12/9/10 03:07 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Those low ratings probably come from what we call '0-bombers'. These are assholes who vote 0 on other tracks and 5 on their own so their songs can get to the top.
By this logic I'm going to start flaming everyone with a highscore for being a 0 voter.

So true, my music was zero bombed and now it is really starting to make a comeback on the charts so all I can say is that if your music is good then you have a good chance that people will notice and vote you up.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-09 16:50:31

At 12/9/10 04:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: How can people give low ratings? Here, I'll show you... Oh, your scores just went down!

(Before you start freaking out, I did not actually zero bomb you, this is called a joke, unheard of, I know)
Ha! funny! It's all fun and games until someone gets a 0, haha

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 02:32:04

At 12/9/10 03:01 PM, eppskevin wrote:

I'm going to let you in on a little secret..

EVERYONE on newgrounds thinks their music is either "the shit" or better than average. Fact of the matter is, unless your music is either truly exceptional or mind numbingly generic, OR unless you got a fantastic set of tig ol bitties that you can plaster on your newgrounds profile picture with a sexy name like Summer_grl69 to get all the lonely internet guys commenting on your stuff to gain favour, you'll be zero bombed and downvoted like everyone else and relegated to the fringes of the Newgrounds audio wasteland. Yay for the internet!

Seriously though, don't worry so much about getting reviews and a high score and stroking your internet ego. Just make music cause it's fun. If people like it, they'll review, if they don't, they won't, no big deal so long as you enjoy your self. If your sole motivation for making music is reviews, you might want to reconsider why you do this in the first place!

Rottenbread.net

For your daily dose of rotting yeast..

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 02:51:08

At 12/10/10 02:32 AM, Rottenbeard wrote: EVERYONE on newgrounds thinks their music is either "the shit" or better than average.

On the contrary, I know my music sucks because I don't have nearly the fanbase I wish I did. Or does that just make me modest? Either way, being an egotistical ass doesn't get you anywhere.

unless you got a fantastic set of tig ol bitties that you can plaster on your newgrounds profile picture with a sexy name like Summer_grl69 to get all the lonely internet guys commenting on your stuff to gain favour

I like how you think, I'm definitely gonna have to try this... It's certainly never been done before! (/sarcasm)

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 03:07:37

O hai guys... I don't know if you knew this... but I'm actually a girl... so... go love my stuff and leave lots of reviews and stuff, kthxbai xoxo.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 03:10:35

At 12/10/10 03:07 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: O hai guys... I don't know if you knew this... but I'm actually a girl... so... go love my stuff and leave lots of reviews and stuff, kthxbai xoxo.

I AM GOING TO SUBSCRIBE TO YOU.

Rottenbread.net

For your daily dose of rotting yeast..

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 03:29:11

At 12/10/10 03:07 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: O hai guys... I don't know if you knew this... but I'm actually a girl... so... go love my stuff and leave lots of reviews and stuff, kthxbai xoxo.

tits, or GTFO

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 03:41:15

At 12/10/10 03:29 AM, JackRocker wrote:
tits, or GTFO

$50.00 a min honey.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 04:47:15

At 12/10/10 02:32 AM, Rottenbeard wrote:

EVERYONE on newgrounds thinks their music is either "the shit" or better than average. Fact of the matter is, unless your music is either truly exceptional or mind numbingly generic, OR unless you got a fantastic set of tig ol bitties that you can plaster on your newgrounds profile picture with a sexy name like Summer_grl69 to get all the lonely internet guys commenting on your stuff to gain favour, you'll be zero bombed and downvoted like everyone else and relegated to the fringes of the Newgrounds audio wasteland. Yay for the internet!

Seriously though, don't worry so much about getting reviews and a high score and stroking your internet ego. Just make music cause it's fun. If people like it, they'll review, if they don't, they won't, no big deal so long as you enjoy your self. If your sole motivation for making music is reviews, you might want to reconsider why you do this in the first place!

This is a more common effect than you'd imagine, and not just on Newgrounds.

There is a notable psychological effect, whose name escapes me at the moment, that is pretty much the inverse-competancy law. The less competant you are, the less you know. The less you know, the less you know that you don't know. Therefore, the beginner believes that they are "the shit", not realizing just how much exists that they do not know.

Contrarily, the experienced practitioner will almost always feel the other way, since they know exactly what they're doing and how much they do NOT know. By understanding how wide a field they are engaged in they will generally believe they are worse than they really are.

TL;DR, people who suck don't know they suck because they suck too hard to figure it out, so they think they're the shit.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 05:23:39

Hahaha! That xoxo makes you a girl? I just remembered little girls always writing that stuff.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 10:01:08

Those low ratings probably come from what we call '0-bombers'.

I hate those guys -.-

My flash games, and cool zombie games. Also I am Thom Sip!

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 10:33:12

At 12/10/10 02:32 AM, Rottenbeard wrote:

I'm doing this because I love music and love to put down music as it clears my head. I have a lot music going on in my head at all times, but I know that I can grow as well, which is why I look for feedback.

I'm not looking for my ego to get stroked, but want to at least share what I've kept inside for so long and just now started to take seriously.

Not in it for money or fame....Just want to be the best I can be

So, you're right, everyone thinks they are the best, and I don't. I know I could use work, but it always takes a another pair of eyes to see what it is. All I'm saying is don't compare what I make to mainstream hip hop as I think it's garbage and I don't inspire to make that, but a blended style of soulful hip hop and video game music.

I never think that I'm the best at anything and always see room for improvement. That way I don't get lazy, lol.

I'll always keep doing what I'm doing, though.

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 11:25:40

At 12/10/10 10:28 AM, Chronamut wrote: people are allowed to vote honestly on how they feel your song made them feel - they have no obligation to review your work - the scores tend to be a general feeling of how the masses think of your song - if it's low try again and make something better.

Well, Chronamut beat me to it but yes, people don't have to give a fuck about how you feel when they think you've got a poop song on your hands. If they didn't tell you why they didn't like it maybe it's better that way. You could end up with a review that says "I FUCKIN HATEZES YUR MUTHR CUZ DE SOIMNG IOS BULLSHIT!" and then you would report them to the mods, the review would be erased and the user might be penalized.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 12:05:20

At 12/10/10 11:25 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 12/10/10 10:28 AM, Chronamut wrote: people are allowed to vote honestly on how they feel your song made them feel - they have no obligation to review your work - the scores tend to be a general feeling of how the masses think of your song - if it's low try again and make something better.
Well, Chronamut beat me to it but yes, people don't have to give a fuck about how you feel when they think you've got a poop song on your hands. If they didn't tell you why they didn't like it maybe it's better that way. You could end up with a review that says "I FUCKIN HATEZES YUR MUTHR CUZ DE SOIMNG IOS BULLSHIT!" and then you would report them to the mods, the review would be erased and the user might be penalized.

If you say so....

It's all about the person, I guess.

I will give honest criticism about even a "Modern" hip hop song because of how it's delivered, even though I may not particularly like the style. I will even give it a 5/5 10/10 because I honestly hear what the song was meant for and vote on it.

So, you can't say "Make something better". For WHO?? People that only know hip hop from mainstream, or people that know music for music? A wide gap....

But at any rate, thanks for all your answers, and I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Peace

I'm good.

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 12:37:09

As someone with my own music on the line, I usually never post a low rating review.

If I like the song, I'll review it normally.
If I hate it, I'll completely ignore it.

It works decently for me, although I've still gotten my share of zero-bombs and tasteless reviews.

[TSR Audio]

Click the Banner To Visit My Music Page! ^__^

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 13:28:14

At 12/10/10 03:41 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
tits, or GTFO
$50.00 a min honey.

i'm going to have to 5 all your stuff now..

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 13:33:52

0 bombing wah wah wah wah .

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 13:39:28

Q - How Can People Give Low Ratings???
A - They usually click on the "0" button.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 15:14:38

At 12/10/10 01:28 PM, JackRocker wrote:
At 12/10/10 03:41 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
tits, or GTFO
$50.00 a min honey.
i'm going to have to 5 all your stuff now..

Being a girl rulez... 5's all around, I'm making $3000/hour, and I've already gotten more newspost comments than I usually do only a day after I had a sex change. I could get used to this.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 16:46:40

I think chronamut said it best a while back:

with something like, people tend to think anything less than a 5 is a bad score...

There are other numbers there other than 0 and 5 people. Just cause you voted 5 on your song then it went down to a 4.15 or something doesn't mean you're getting 0 bombed... Maybe someone thought it deserved a 3.

Srsly learn to accept something other than 5 or 0.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 17:06:14

Why do you get low ratings?
Did you not ever think ...
"What if my music is shit? Awful production I know, but I made it in 20 minutes, that means for 20 minutes its amazing!"

I'm not saying its shit, I haven't heard it. But a lot of the stuff rammed up this website is unfinished, work in progress bin juice thats been made in a few hours.
Take some time on it, learn your weapons and nuke newgrounds with your audio bomb. I'll rate your tunes 5 every time just because I was able to use "bin juice" in a sentence.

Response to How can people give low ratings??? 2010-12-10 17:21:15

At 12/10/10 01:39 PM, sorohanro wrote: Q - How Can People Give Low Ratings???
A - They usually click on the "0" button.

Ta-da! the real science behind zero bombing revealed.

And just for your information, just gave you a zero just for asking this question...

More at eleven..

It happens get over it...