00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bishopdown just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Taxi? 2010-10-06 18:28:09

I stumbled across this company in my search for Music Agents. Everybody knows if you want to get signed or have any kind of deals, you can't just solicit your shit to labels. Therefor, the search for music agents.

What I discovered is that the talent here on newgrounds far surpasses the productions that receive placement in movies and television shows through this agent (TAXI). Here are some examples of songs that have been placed through Taxi:

Movie:
Bring It On: Fight to the Finish

"Burn"
Performed by Misty
Written by M. Gonzalez, A. Lane and M. Haene
Courtesy of ETNC

"Famous"
Performed by Misty
Written by M. Gonzalez, A.Lane and M. Haene
Courtesy of ETNC

<a>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sagkd j8cQo<a />

Both of the above songs are in this youtube video, both by the same producers/vocalist. Ridiculous. There is little talent involved in the creation of these songs.

Television Show:
Melrose Place

"Be My Lover"
Performed by Chris Lago
Written by Chris Lago

<a>http://www.myspace.com/chrislago/musi c/albums/be-my-lover-15548079<a />

WTF this is so amateur

Anyway, just wanted to post this and say how lame I think it is that you should have to join some stupid music agency to get your stuff out there

BBS Signature

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-06 18:47:58

Oh and just a little background on Taxi, for those that are too lazy to research it.

All information is from Taxi.com

Record labels, Publishers and Film & TV Music Supervisors tell them what kind of Songs, Instrumental Tracks and Artists they currently need - then they tell you. When you see a match for your music, you send it to them, and their A&R team pre-screens it for the company that needs it.

There is a $5 submission fee. This is for ANY submission. You are only allowed or encouraged to submit your music if it fits the criteria they describe. (This could be never, depending on what type of music you write. I doubt Metal is ever requested, for example) They claim that there are around 1200 opportunities (requests) per year - that's 100 a month. Of all of these, your genre may be 3-10%, depending on the popularity of that genre. That means you have 3 to 10 opportunities to submit your work in a month. Keep in mind that 10 is the absolute most. It's more likely that your song's genre may not be picked at all during any given month, and maybe chosen ten times one month.

However, even with an entire ten "chances" to get your song placed in a movie/TV show, there is little hope, considering the other 5K (estimation) members that are submitting their work for the very same opportunity. Even if your song is "better" than all of the rest, it could be that they are looking for a specific sound or feel.

There is a 300 dollar yearly membership fee, which they claim is ridiculously low (of course, it's not coming out of THEIR pockets). They compare it to using a music attorney for an hour or a flight to L.A.

They say they give you professional feedback on the songs you submit. But after looking over their example, it's not very detailed, and lacks anything truly helpful.

BBS Signature

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-06 18:52:01

Thanks for the info. Quite a read.

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-06 19:17:23

At 10/6/10 06:54 PM, Bjra wrote: i have joined the website several years ago. When it comes to electronic music of almost any kind other than mainstream hip pop, the well is dry, VERY dry. ie, no one on the website is ever looking for electronic music, trance dance, video game, etc.

This is true. But for those that ARE that genre...

I got my 300 bucks back so the website has a fantastic return policy and I may one day return!

Interesting. And what of the feedback? Did you receive any useful feedback? I'm guessing you never had the chance to submit, since your music never fit the criteria?

BBS Signature

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-06 22:47:32

I really don't understand why this type of site exists. We have a different scenario now. In the old days, we (musicians) need "Labels" so we could distribute our music. Because there is no way we can produce or sell our music to the public. But now it's different. What is the point of giving your music to a middle man and sell it to a plumber, if you can go straight and sell your music to the plumber. It's just like what they say now, Let's just cut off the middle man!!!

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-07 07:20:29

It is common for pop songs to hae simplistic beat. It sounds pretty average, I don't see what to be angry about

BBS Signature

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-07 13:26:49

At 10/6/10 10:47 PM, masheenH3ad wrote: Let's just cut off the middle man!!!

Really? How do you handle 5,000 dollar advertisements then? If the plumber doesn't know about your music, he won't buy it. And maybe even if he DOES, having a label behind you makes you seem more official and in some cases may sell your music. I know that's stupid but that's how some people are. They will only buy music that EVERYONE buys.

BBS Signature

Response to Taxi? 2010-10-07 13:30:13

At 10/7/10 07:20 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: It is common for pop songs to hae simplistic beat. It sounds pretty average, I don't see what to be angry about

Um... Maybe that this guy made bank AND landed a wonderful advertisement and got PAID to advertise? And not because his average track was amazing, but simply because he went through an agent. You shouldn't have to do that to get your music noticed and signed.

BBS Signature