00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GingaSnappd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Press Crew

2,247 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 06:27:32

PLEASE READALL OF THE FOLLOWING BEFORE POSTING HERE (I know it is long, get over it).

This is the Newgrounds Press Crew! Fed up of biased and inaccurate media reporting? Then this is the place for you!

The purpose of this club is to give you the chance to write reports/articles/reviews on events that you have attended or witnessed out there in the real world. If you have been to a concert or sports event, write about it here. How about to the theatre? Write about it here. You might have been involved in a local charity event, or witnessed/committed a murder. Write about it here!

It doesn't matter how big or small the event is- it could be the super bowl, it could be a school play or your mates band playing at the local bar, you can share your views on it and discuss the views of others.

The purpose of the NG press Crew:

1) To write reports to remind yourself of those great events that you have been involved in before they have slipped from your mind, or just because you like to write about them.

2) To discuss events, and perhaps inspire others to attend events in the future (particularly true of concerts)

3) To give your own opinions on an event, as opposed to those of the often biased press.

4) To practice and develop your own writing style, something that is increasingly prominent here on Newgrounds with the dawn of the writing forum.

STILL READING? GOOD!

Now as with all Clubs and Crews here, there are rules... It goes without saying that all standard NG rules stand, so no spamming or trolling please, but more specifically...

1) NEVER respond to spammers or trolls- if they are causing trouble ignore them and alert a mod.

2) Everyone's opinion counts, even if it is not the same as your own. This is not a place for flame wars, and if you want to disagree with someone then avoid insulting them, but instead give a reasoned response about why you disagree.

3) You MUST have attended the event in question. At a push I'll accept reviews of events that you have seen LIVE on TV (such as major sporting events), but really this is a place for people that have been to the event and give a personal perspective to their report. What I don't want are reports on something you have seen a 2 minute highlight package of, or heard about from a friend. It is a report about your experience, not someone elses.

4) I'm not going to impose word limits etc., but 2 lines does not constitute a report. At minimum I'd suggest a couple of paragraphs, and I won't set a maximum limit. After all the main purpose of reports is to further your enjoyment of the event you are writing about, so go to town with your writing about it and put all of your passion into it, but don't waste our time with 2 lines of rubbish.

5) Discussion should be on one of two topics- your opinions of the event being reviewed, and your opinion of the ability of the writer and writing in question. Off topic discussion will be frowned upon, and extreme cases may result in contacting a mod.

6) All reviews should start with the same basic structure, so that the readers know what they are reading about:

Event:

Ending the article with a rating (say out of 10) is also optional.

(I'll put up an example after this post)

Finally, there is no need to 'ask to join' here, I won't be keeping a roster. Feel free to drop in and out and simply get involved straight away in discussion. I don't expect regular contribution (as I am unlikely to be around all of the time anyway), and anyone is welcome so long as they abide by the rules. Just get involved and tell us about what you have been up to.

What I will do is keep a record of what has been reported on in my profile, so if there is a particular event you wish to read about then you can check there for a page number to help you to find it. Ultimately if this place takes off I might set up an external website for this purpose.

Example coming up, fingers crossed this place takes off (feel free to spread the word in sigs etc.) and most of all enjoy being able to write about and discuss those events that you have enjoyed going to, or were a massive disappointment.

You can stop reading now...

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 06:32:21

Example piece:

Event: Swindon Town vs. Plymouth Argyle, League 1 Association Football (from the view of a Plymouth fan)
Date: 28/09/2010

This match saw high flying Swindon Town fresh off the back of a run of 4 games unbeaten, against struggling Plymouth Argyle battling inconsistent performances and a tough early schedule, loitering a few places above the League 1 relegation zone.

From a personal view this was also my 25th birthday present from my girlfriend, a Liverpool fan, but one who now has a soft spot for Plymouth due to my obsession. In the past we had attended two 2-2 draws involving Plymouth, both exciting, but I was yet to see my team win a game and this was starting to frustrate me. I came to the game more in hope than expectation, and would have been happy with a dull match and a narrow win. I was in for a surprise...

Having never been to the County Ground before, despite living in Swindon, I was impressed by what was a relatively modern small ground. The atmosphere created by the away support was as always magnificent, with the songs broken out from about 10 minutes before the first whistle and relentless right to the end. In contrast the home fans were very quiet, rather ruining the traditional cross stadium banter.

Plymouth got off to a flying start in their white shirts and green shorts, with a quick early chance, before Swindon (red and white shirts) got their feet on the ball and began their now familiar game style of holding onto the ball, passing it around just inside the oppositions half, hunting for that killer ball through. Yawn.

Fortunately that was not to last, as the mighty Greens broke forward and won a throw in deep in the Swindon half. The throw was launched in by our very own answer to Rory Delap, Kari Arnason and headed in as the keeper came for it and didn't get there by centre back Reda Johnson. The small section of around 1000 Argyle fans went up as one at this lightning start.

Swindon 0-1 Plymouth, Johnson (4)

Boosted by this the greens went on the attack again, and had some continued pressure on the Swindon goal. To our amazement in the away stands this led to a second, poked in from close range by Bradley Wright-Phillips (brother of England star Shaun). Chants continued from the Argyle faithful (personal favourites included: 'Welcome to the Swindon library' (in reference to the quiet away fans), and 'You must be shit, we're winning away')

Swindon 0-2 Plymouth, Wright Phillips (8)

Not a bad start for a team that had been struggling for goals!

Plymouth continued to push for a couple more minutes, but Swindon started to push hard as they saw the game starting to slip away already. The Greens seemed happy to sit back and soak up pressure and possession, but the keeper looked shaky, as did the centre backs under pressure from waves of attack. It came as no surprise when Swindon got one back, a shot from 25 yards from David Prutton bouncing over the arms of keeper Larrieu off what at best was a half chance.

Swindon 1-2 Plymouth, Prutton (37)

Pressure continued to mount and it was a relief to here the half time whistle still one ahead. Finally the 8000 Swindon fans had found their voices a little, though they were still massively out-sung by the 1000 travelling fans.

The second half started much like the beginning of the first, with Argyle much more confident on the ball after the break after a team talk with gaffer Peter Reid. We passed the ball neatly, holding possession and creating a host of half chances, with Noone on the right wing at the centre of all of our chances. It looked like 3-1 was on the cards, but a soft free-kick just outside the Plymouth area, given by a generally poor referee, saw Swindon with an undeserved chance to equalize.

From my position in the stands I could hardly stand to watch- the goal seemed enormous, and with the form of our keeper it seemed certain to go in... and so it did, with the ball curled around the wall and straight at the spot Larrieu should have been standing, only for him to have moved to his left and gifted them the goal. Dreadful keeping and once again the score was 2-2, with Swindon buzzing.

Swindon 2-2 Plymouth, Rose (74)

Shortly after Larrieu had another heart in mouth moment, slipping when faced with a soft back pass, that rolled past him and towards the goal- a last ditch sliding clearance the only thing preventing a disastrous own goal. Swindon were well on top, and the Argyle defense seemed panicked. Swindon fans were chanting '2-0 and you fucked it up' with glee, while finally the Argyle support started to go quiet.

But everything changed again as goal scorer David Prutton scythed down his man and received a second yellow card.

Red card, Prutton (76)

Down to 10 men, Swindon seemed to sit back in hope for a draw, and Plymouth came onto them with renewed vigour. Bolasie, introduced on the second half, made for a potent attacking trio with Noone and Wright-Phillips, with masses of pace and skill. Wave after wave of attacks rained down on the Swindon goal, and they were fortunate to be saved by the crossbar from a Wright-Phillips header. Seemingly only one team wanted the win...

And then our early scorer, Reda Johnson, a Benin international centre back, made a cracking challenge near the byeline as the clock ticked towards injury time, taking all of the ball and not touching the man. One of the best challenges you could ask for under pressure, and according to the useless referee worthy of a second yellow and a red. The Argyle fans were seething, and Swindon jubilant as they saw a glimmer of hope.

Red card, Johnson (89).

5 minutes of injury time announced, started with a wild goalmouth scramble as the reduced Argyle defense tried desperately to hack the ball clear. Panic in the stands, but the ball was finally smashed up field and away from danger. Now both sides were going all out for the win, with time ticking away...

As the we ticked into the 5th minute of added time a long clearance fell at the feet of star player Noone. He took it on a mazy run down the left wing, beating a succession of players with his pace and skill and playing a perfect cross into the middle...

...right onto the head of Wright-Phillips, where it was planted into the roof of the net and the away fans (myself included) went wild.

Swindon 2-3 Plymouth, Wright-Phillips (90+6)

What a finish to the game, virtually the final kick, and what a magnificent result for the Green army having thrown away a 2 goal lead. Swindon fans left to chants of '2-2 and you fucked it up' and the away fans cheered their hero's off the field. A brilliant game with the perfect finish, and the best early birthday present I could have asked for (it's on Thursday by the way...).

Final Score: Swindon 2-Plymouth 3

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 14:58:28

It's been a long time since this event, but I'll try to remember
Event: Vimy Ridge Ceremony for redone memorial
Date: April 8th 2007 (I think the date is a few days off, however it did occur on Easter in 2007 and the 8th was apparently that day, despite the battle occurring on the 9th tot he 12th)

The Battle of Vimy Ridge is something every Canadian school child learns about in both Public School and High School. It is a very important event in Canadian history, and was massively important for Canada's international relations. During WWI, in April 1917, the Canadian Corps attacked and took the strategic Vimy Ridge from the Germans, after both the French and British had failed with more men.

This was also the first all Canadian endeavor, all Canadian troops, all Canadian commanders, and an all Canadian plan. The battle changed many elements of warfare, including leap frogging with artillery, rehearsals before the battle, giving a map to the section commanders and the soldiers on the ground instead of just keeping them for the officers.

So of course, 90 years later, I had the opportunity to travel over to France to witness the ceremony surrounding the dedication of the revamped memorial. It is also interesting to note, that Vimy Ridge is now Canadian soil. A tribute from France for our efforts.

To start I would just have to say that simply walking on that ground was stunning, and humbling. Walking amongst the white gravestones put in place by the Commonwealth Graves Commission so many years ago and seeing the names of the men who fought, bled, and died 90 years before. The effort and care put into these resting grounds is phenomenal. Black iron boxes sitting at the entrance to the graveyard held a ledger with the name of every man buried in that field, and where one could find them. A friend of mine was able to find his grandfather's tombstone and make an etching on paper to bring back home to his family. To say the moment was powerful is a bit of an understatement.

Some of the trenches and bunkers built by the Germans are still intact, and to see the tiny distance between the two lines was revealing in a way that reading from a textbook in history class could never come close to reaching.

Then there was the memorial itself. Massive, pure and white pillars reaching into the sky like beacons, with statues representing Canada herself beautifully sculpted. Along the base of the memorial was the names of the missing, and once again the amount of people whose names adorn the memorial is simply both horrifying, numbing and humbling. I find it hard to properly describe both the beauty, if such a word could be applied, and magnificence of the entire development. I'll provide a picture at the end of the post, but it does no justice, especially being such a far shot.

Then the ceremony itself. Everything before this was on my own time, exploring... experiencing. Finally the time had come for the ceremony. So many people were there, maple leaves emblazoned on their clothing, a mixed feeling of awe, sadness and pride amongst the crowd. The low buzz of conversation strangely muted here in this place. No one had to shout to be heard over the crowd.

Both French and Canadian troops marched out alongside the memorial itself, displaying perfect discipline, and once again pride. I watched as men skydived from airplanes above for display, their chutes the colours of the French flag, the modern Canadian flag, as well as the flag our Dominion used back in 1917. Our Prime Minister spoke to the crowd, before the Queen of Canada arrived to inspect our troops. Then a young Canadian woman stood up, before the statue of Canada herself, and sang our national anthem.

I've never heard it sung more powerfully or beautifully. In that moment there was only silence, save for her words, as the thousands of people there stood with their hats over their hearts, the soldiers in crisp uniform saluting.

At the end, a fighter flew overheard, capturing the final notes, and letting the silence reign for a few moments as we all bowed our heads in remembrance of those fallen. Those whose names were written on the gravestones, and in the stone before us.

And then it was over. We watched the Queen depart, the Prime Minister leave, and the soldiers briskly march away. The rest of us were left beneath the twin pillars and the gaze of the maiden of Canada. Free to go about our lives.

I've tried here to capture what it felt like, for me personally, to be there. To set foot where the boots of our grandfathers had, to see peace where they had seen hell. I did not write this up to criticize or really even report properly what had happened there that day, but simply to share my experience as best I could. But like the textbooks of my school years, these are just words in the end. As respective as I am towards writing I feel that this event was something that just could not be captured by anything, except one's soul.

The Newgrounds Press Crew

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 15:52:40

At 9/29/10 02:58 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: It's been a long time since this event, but I'll try to remember
Event: Vimy Ridge Ceremony for redone memorial
Date: April 8th 2007 (I think the date is a few days off, however it did occur on Easter in 2007 and the 8th was apparently that day, despite the battle occurring on the 9th tot he 12th)

Firstly thank you for getting involved and kicking things off here- I'm sure as more people come online through the evening this place will start to pick up a bit.

I've been to the memorial at Vimy Ridge myself, as part of a school trip to Ypres in Belgium. I fully agree with you that it is an experience that doesn't translate well into words, and I'll never forget the row after row of white stones either.

May I ask what it was that brought you there? Was it with school, or as a 'vacation' (though that doesn't seem the right word when visiting something like that)?

Beautifully written by the way, though if anyone reads it that hasn't been I can highly recommend the trip- it is a real eye opener and extremely moving experience.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 18:37:23

I went with the military. Touring my unit's WWI battle honours across France and Ypres in Belgium. Also got to visit the Somme. The main attraction of course was that ceremony. Spent 9 days going about France and Belgium.

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 18:46:11

Event: Worcester Warriors Vs Doncaster Knights; RFU Championship
Sixways Stadium, Worcester
Date: 25th September 2010

Following their relegation from the Premiership of the Rugby Football Union, the Worcester Warriors are aiming to bounce back to prominence, while pundits in the Rugby World have largely predicted that the team will implode, players will be scattered to the four winds and the club will largely sink without trace over the next season or two.

The Warriors have shown a bit of fighting spirit - Just four games into this championship season and they sit pretty atop the table, with four wins from their first four. These games have all been hard won, even last weekend's 48-3 thumping of Esher. The visit of Doncaster Knights would prove to be no exception, as Will Cooper reports:

The weather was changeable, so the faithful at Sixways turned out in all manner of guises to watch today's spectacle. Some brave souls were wearing shorts, while most favoured coats and hats against the chilly westerly wind. Once in the relative cover of the stands and fortified by a drink or two, the coats were largely discarded, in favour of the surprisingly warm sunshine that bathed the Slick Systems Stand.

Warmups complete and the teams made their way onto the pitch, Kai Horstmann leading out the Warriors. This included former England International, Andy Goode, and England prospect Miles Benjamin amongst their number in an impressive lineup for the second tier of the English Rugby scene. As the match began, Worcester laid siege to the line of Doncaster on the east end of the pitch and in spite of Goode missing an early penalty, Benjamin ran over after five minutes, after some nifty work from Alex Crockett set him up to make it 7-0 Warriors, as Goode made no mistake with his conversion.

Buoued by the early lead, Worcester powered back at the opposition and gained a penalty advantage, which Goode again obliged with. 10-0 Warriors

The move of the match came within the first 20 minutes, as Dale Rasmussen showed that he is still able to play hard rugby at 32, slipping and powering his way through five tackles, closing Worcester in on the 22-yard line. Offloading to Goode, who found Horstmann and then Neil Best, who bullied his way over the line. Goode's boot adding another two after the try made it 17-0 Warriors.

Not rolling away at a tackle a few minutes later awarded Doncaster their first sight of points on the board, but as a hush fell across sixways, prior to the kick, the sound of a thump of boot on ball, as the kick was lofted skywards was greeted by hoots, shouts and all manner of encouragement from the faithful, as the kick of Steve McColl sailed wide. A warning shot across the bows of Worcester.

A sense of urgency remained in Worcester players, though attacking moves, but forward passes and knock ons managed to put a stop to those, before Worcester could cause any more damage to the one-sided scoreline and put the Knights to bed. Full Back Willie Walker gave a lifeline to Doncaster, as a hurried clearance to touch was brought back, a little harshly adjudged to be kicked from outside of his own 22, thus the lineout would be taken from where the kick was made. With Doncaster now firmly on the attack, they pushed Worcester to the limit and were awarded a free kick after a series of well fought scrums. Neil Cochrane lunged over the Worcester line, providing his side's first five points. Kicker Tristan Roberts added the additional two with a simple kick and Worcester were suddenly seeming a little flat at 17-7 leaders.

Fatigue setting in before the half, Worcester came agonisingly close to adding three more points, but Goode failed in his effort,a s the sides earned a breather after the first 40 minutes.

After another drink and the performance of the cheerleading troupe, the teams came back out for this finely balanced tie to be resolved. The momentum gained before the break, Doncaster continued to push hard, stealing Worcester's defensive lineout throw and replacement Andy Boyde crashed over, followed by another conversion from Roberts. 17-14 Warriors

Worcester's worries were not over yet, as Goode attempted a clearance kick from 5 yards, which was charged down and straight out of play by the advancing Knights.

Not to be deterred, Worcester broke the shackles, with a stolen lineout of their own. Best broke through the centre of the field, before scrum half Johnny Arr and Jake Abbott combined to send Walker over for the try in the corner. The hush came again as Goode stepped up for the kick. The crowd groaned as the ball appeared to be heading right of the posts. Then it drifted serenely toward the centre, as the crowd started to will it over and they all deflated, as it hit the left post, bouncing clear. 22-14 Warriors

Within minutes, Doncaster were on the drive again as two defining incidents happend together. Andy Goode was hauled around the pitch by one of the Doncaster backs, which the referee and linesmen seemed content to let them have at it. When things calmed down, the referee calmly held a touch line discussion with his assistant, then issued a yellow card and 10 minute sin-bin penalty to Worcester's Alex Crockett, which the crowd took exception to, letting the official know at regular intervals for the rest of the contest. Roberts struck the penalty and the lead was down to five. Another soon afterwards made it 22-20 Warrirors, with little sign of any letting up from Doncaster.

Doncaster's man advantage came at the right time for them, as on 72 minutes of the 80, Matt Williams charged across the line, with more than a hint of forward pass ignored by the touch judge, to give the Knights their first lead of the game. Roberts had his turn to miss a difficult conversion attempt from the northern touch line. 25-22 Knights

With time winding down and some of the players looking a little dejected, Worcester summoned up the energy for one last drive at the line. A penalty, which could have forced a draw, Goode chose to kick for the corner and the forwards obliged by catching the resulting lineout, driving Jake Abbott over in the process and giving another lease of life to the team. Goode's conversion attempt died in mid-air, falling agonisingly short, due to the wind and Worcester had a meagre advantage 27-25 Warriros

Doncaster had their chance to steal victory from the jaws of defeat, as Crockett was found guilty of not rolling away in the 79th minute, Roberts converting the penalty 29-27 Knights. Many Worcester fans conceded that the Warriors were heading for their first defeat of this season, but they used all of their reserves of strength and valiantly pushed for the Doncaster line, after a midfield penalty to Worcester. Securing their own lineout, they barrelled toward the line, stopping a few yards short, but with the referee's arm raised towards Worcester's goal. Penalty.

The hush descended one last time, as Goode stepped forward and sized up the posts. Cooly, he jogged to the ball and connected with it. Three thousand fans held their breath as the ball sailed between the posts and into the car park behind Sixways and Worcester jogged off the field, winners. 30-28 Warriors

Not the most convincing display of rugby ever made on a field of play, but the result will still stand to extend Worcester's run to five victories. They are the only unbeaten side, with five wins and three bonus points making up 23 of a possible 25 points. Next Saturday, the Warriors travel to Moseley, while Doncaster play host to Nottingham at Castle Park.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 20:23:33

I have very boring life. So if I actually do write something in here, it won't be often.. or really anytime soon. I may come in and read through some of your newest writings.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea, I hope that this crew is successful, and doesn't end up in the abyss of abandoned clubs. Can't wait to see some of the stories written here!

Blammin' and Shit Postin'

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-29 21:47:29

ooh this looks like fun. I'll report as soon as something comes up!

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-30 02:57:22

At 9/29/10 06:46 PM, Coop83 wrote: Event: Worcester Warriors Vs Doncaster Knights; RFU Championship

That sounds like quite a game! Is that the same Goode that once played for Leicester and England (rather hopelessly in my opinion)? I'm afraid I'm a Bath fan myself as that is where I spent my university years, but it would be nice to have Worcester come back up and make for a nice West country contingent in the Premiership.

Thanks for contributing, you were one person I had in mind as someone that would appreciate this club and help it get a push in the right direction.

At 9/29/10 08:23 PM, Gamewiz wrote: I have very boring life. So if I actually do write something in here, it won't be often.. or really anytime soon. I may come in and read through some of your newest writings.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea, I hope that this crew is successful, and doesn't end up in the abyss of abandoned clubs. Can't wait to see some of the stories written here!

That is absolutely fine, I don't see this as a place where people have to contribute on a regular basis, but if there is an event you go to I'd like to think that you would think of here and tell us about it. It doesn't matter if that is tomorrow or six months away.

Thanks for the positive comments anyway, this is an idea I've had for some time, but I felt I needed an event to kick things off with.

At 9/29/10 09:47 PM, mdf99 wrote: ooh this looks like fun. I'll report as soon as something comes up!

Wonderful, big or small I'm sure plenty of people will be keen to read it.

I'm pleased that upon waking up this morning this club hasn't sunk into the abyss (as my only previous club sadly did). Feel free to get involved in conversation and discussion about those reports that have already been posted- I don't just want people writing reports that don't get read or commented on! That rather defies the point!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-30 03:50:27

At 9/30/10 02:57 AM, Sentio wrote:
At 9/29/10 06:46 PM, Coop83 wrote: Event: Worcester Warriors Vs Doncaster Knights; RFU Championship
That sounds like quite a game! Is that the same Goode that once played for Leicester and England (rather hopelessly in my opinion)? I'm afraid I'm a Bath fan myself as that is where I spent my university years, but it would be nice to have Worcester come back up and make for a nice West country contingent in the Premiership.

Well, not this Friday, but the Friday after, Worcester play host to Bristol Rugby and that could be an early season promotion battle. I'm considering getting tickets.

And yes, it is the same Andy Goode.

Thanks for contributing, you were one person I had in mind as someone that would appreciate this club and help it get a push in the right direction.

I did have two minds about this thread, to be honest, as the Journalism Bulletin Board could be considered to fulfil these criteria, but I think with some work between the two, since this covers a chance to go more in depth and the Bulletin Board is there for people to get hints and tips of how to construct an article that would be considered worthy of going to print either online or in a publication for money, I've let it ride.

Hopefully, they can work in tandem.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-09-30 04:30:16

At 9/30/10 03:50 AM, Coop83 wrote:
I did have two minds about this thread, to be honest, as the Journalism Bulletin Board could be considered to fulfil these criteria, but I think with some work between the two, since this covers a chance to go more in depth and the Bulletin Board is there for people to get hints and tips of how to construct an article that would be considered worthy of going to print either online or in a publication for money, I've let it ride.

I was totally unaware of that thread to be honest, but I do think that the idea of this thread is a little different to that, and I'm glad I've been given the benefit of the doubt! I'd like to think this thread is a bit more informal than that, and more about writing about the things people have been up to rather than creating professional articles. Some collaboration may be a good idea though, I'll be sure to have a browse through that thread now that I am aware of it.

Thanks for not locking this thread anyway!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-10-02 13:28:04

At 9/30/10 04:30 AM, Sentio wrote:
At 9/30/10 03:50 AM, Coop83 wrote:

I was totally unaware of that thread to be honest, but I do think that the idea of this thread is a little different to that, and I'm glad I've been given the benefit of the doubt! I'd like to think this thread is a bit more informal than that, and more about writing about the things people have been up to rather than creating professional articles. Some collaboration may be a good idea though, I'll be sure to have a browse through that thread now that I am aware of it.

Thanks for not locking this thread anyway!

I had a look through your club and recognise that that is very much about writing in a more professional manner. As such I would like to propose that this threads primary purpose is as a place to record and review events that people have attended (mainly as a reference point for users wishing to find out what particular events are like), while that thread is a place to discuss improving writing technique and working towards publication of articles.

I think with some collaboration this could work well, and of course I would be all for articles being posted in both crews, with this one with a greater focus on discussion of the event itself and what it was like, and your club a place to discuss writing technique. To go with that I would be happy to record articles from both threads in my user page news post (as I have no intention of writing any other news posts that will usurp it), with your permission of course.

Let me know what you think of this idea, as I can see that neither one of us wants to see our threads locked for treading on each others toes! (some collaboration will also help increase the post rate in both clubs I suspect, with both rather quiet at the moment...).

Also the next event I am likely to write about will be the NFL watch taking place at Wembley between the 49ers and my team the Denver Broncos, so it would be nice if anyone could fill the gap by telling us more about what you have been getting up to!!!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-10-09 14:43:51

At 9/30/10 04:30 AM, Sentio wrote: Thanks for not locking this thread anyway!

Locks are best reserved for General :P

At 10/2/10 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote: Also the next event I am likely to write about will be the NFL watch taking place at Wembley between the 49ers and my team the Denver Broncos, so it would be nice if anyone could fill the gap by telling us more about what you have been getting up to!!!

It depends... I might write a little something about the World Series, as I'll be taking a week's holiday, if the Yanks get there. Then I'll have a chance to write daily accounts up for it :D

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-10-29 10:49:52

At 10/9/10 02:43 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/30/10 04:30 AM, Sentio wrote: Thanks for not locking this thread anyway!
Locks are best reserved for General :P

Quite!

At 10/2/10 01:28 PM, Sentio wrote:
It depends... I might write a little something about the World Series, as I'll be taking a week's holiday, if the Yanks get there. Then I'll have a chance to write daily accounts up for it :D

Shame they didn't get there then.

The list of articles in this thread is still in my profile, but it has been bumped back a couple of pages while my Halloween writing entry is up- I'll bring it back to the front in a couple of weeks when I feel that has received enough exposure from the crickets that live in my profile...

Just 2 days now until the big game at Wembley! I'll be sure to write a report here for that- can't wait (even though the Broncos suck mightily this season).

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-10-30 04:02:24

At 9/29/10 09:47 PM, mdf99 wrote: ooh this looks like fun. I'll report as soon as something comes up!

I'll post something near the end of this year, about a Jack Johnson concert

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-11-01 10:29:40

Event: Denver Broncos vs San Francisco 49ers NFL
Date: 31st October, 2010

I should say before I start that details of the game itself are scarce here- it is extremely hard to see what is going on clearly from the top of Wembley stadium, especially for running plays, which just look like a pile of bodies. Identifying players was impossible barring the quarterbacks.

Yesterday I was fortunate to attend the international match in London for the second season in a row, this time between the Broncos and 49ers. I'd bought the tickets months ago, and had been getting more excited by the day; while it was clear going in that both teams were far from play-off contenders this season, at least there was a prospect of a tight game. Last seasons game between the Patriots and Buccaneers was quite the opposite, and as such was dead after half time. Thankfully this game was not to disappoint.

Last year I attended the game with friends from university, all hardened American football fans. This year my companions couldn't have been any more different:

My sister and her fiancee had never watched a game before, and as such had little idea of the rules- they were attending more as a chance to see Wembley with a near capacity crowd, as well as being big fans of British sport and jumping at the chance to see something a bit different.

My girlfriend also had little clue about American football, but had at least heard a lot about it from me, as well as watched her brother play when they were at school.

Finally there was my aunt, the reason I got into the game in the first place as she was seeing an American from St Louis for a number of years in the late 90s and early 00s. She is a big Rams fan unsurprisingly, and has a lot more knowledge of football before the year 2000 than me, though I have been more into it than her in recent years.

As for myself, I watched a few games in the early 00s, but really got into the game when I spent a year working in Denver in 2006- ever since I have caught every game I can on TV, and become a big fan of the Broncos, despite their poor form in recent seasons. After 4 years of waiting I was ecstatic that they were coming to London.

We spent the morning touring London, going on the Eye as my girlfriend never had before, and simply killing time. As game time approached we headed up the Bakerloo line to Wembley.

At first viewing Wembley Stadium really towers over the surrounding area, in particular the enormous arch. Generally we were in agreement that the old towers of Wembley were more spectacular, especially given the history of the place, but the stadium itself more than made up for that.

The crowd was a real mixed bag- some were clearly dragged there by friends, partners or family, while many sported the colours of their favourite teams. One thing I do love is that every team in the NFL is represented at these games, with every single shirt on show somewhere. There were numerous Patriots and Dolphins fans in the stands, both successful and popular sides, while there wasn't a single team that I didn't see represented. We Brits may not like American football as much as our own rugby and soccer, but there is a massive fan base here for the NFL that they are doing well to expand.

We were right up in the top stand, sat just to the left of the posts. Having arrived just in time for the pre-show entertainment, the stadium was already nearly full and buzzing with excitement- 85,000 people can make quite a noise!. The entertainment included some less than impressive cheer leaders (they were too far away to truly appreciate, much to my girlfriend's satisfaction...), and the anthems. The American anthem was sung by the member of Destiny's Child that nobody can remember, though she could certainly hold a note ok- why is it that American singers feel the need to turn the anthem into some sort of audition? Meanwhile the British anthem was played by guitar legend Jeff Beck, leaving the singing for the crowd- this really got the atmosphere going as the kickoff approached.

The noise then hit fever pitch for the coin toss. Not only were British sporting icons Ben Ainsley (multiple Olympic gold medalist in Sailing) and Mo Farah (British record holder over 5000m), but we got to see Broncos legend John Elway and 49ers hall-of-famer Jerry Rice. The Broncos won the toss and decided to receive, and we were underway...

...with the most boring half of football I have ever seen!

Both teams looked nervy, and neither seemed able to make a first down as it became a battle of punting (most of which were terrible as well). Broncos quarterback Orton seemed only able to throw sideways, making small gains, but nothing spectacular, while the 49ers relied on running back Gore to make the hard yards. We did finally see a field goal from the 49ers in the second quarter, but that was it for the first half.

Half time: Broncos 0-3 49ers

We went to get food at half time, and as such missed the first big play of the match (I still don't actually know what happened). My aunt went to check the play and said Denver had the ball virtually on their own line, then a minute later I went out to find them camped on the 49ers line, 1st and goal! I was sat down just in time for them to push in the TD, and finally we had some action! As such the crowd went wild, despite supposedly supporting the 49ers- we had a game on our hands at last!

Broncos 7-3 49ers

Following another failure from the 49ers (a missed 54 yard field goal this time, which hit the post), the Broncos once again began to threaten. One TD was disallowed for a foul further back as they pushed to extend the lead (I didn't hear what for over the baying of the crowd), and in the end the Broncos had to settle for a field goal.

Broncos 10-3 49ers

The crowd were starting to enjoy this now as we finally saw a few big plays, and both teams seemed capable of scoring (at last!). One thing I do like about American sport is the attempt to get the crowd involved with the big screen and music- even while we were waiting for plays the atmosphere was intense, with plenty of noise (though very little chanting as there simply wasn't enough hardened support for the teams we were watching).

Finally the 49ers seemed to hit their stride, Gore a constant menace on the floor, and their QB making a few big passes down field. It wasn't long before the lead was pegged back by a 49ers TD as we came towards the final quarter, run in from 1 yard by Smith after a pass that I felt certain should have been intercepted by the two covering Broncos:

Broncos 10- 10 49ers

And then they scored again! The Broncos failed to make any ground on their drive, coughing up numerous stupid penalties (I have never seen so many false starts by one team), and Smith finding Crabtree for a spectacular 28 yard TD. The crowd was on their feet for the home team, awash with red flags waving.

Broncos 10-17 49ers

Orton's poor game continued (poor in my eyes at least, with very negative pass choices, despite making a lot of yards overall) as he was stripped of the ball deep in Denver territory to Takeo Spikes (which sounded just like Tequila Spice over the speakers, much to the amusement of my sister) giving up the fumble and great field position. The inevitable was near... Gore ran in the TD and Denver looked dead and buried with less than 4 minutes to go.

Broncos 10- 24 49ers

But they weren't! The next drive saw some huge plays, culminating in a Lloyd TD, only for the conversion to be shanked wide horribly- they needed a TD in the dying seconds with a 2 point conversion to take it to overtime.

Broncos 16-24 49ers

Amazingly, having let the 9ers get the ball back, they got the three and out they needed- now under two minutes left and they were set to receive the ball back!

(to be continued in the next post, damn character limit...)

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-11-01 10:38:54

Broncos vs 49ers continued

Where were we... yes, receiving the ball! The crowd were now baying for the Broncos blood as they saw that the 49ers might throw the game away, and when Eddie Royal ran the ball back all the way down the pitch for an apparent TD on the reception, it seemed like the impossible might have happened! Half the crowd were cheering, while the rest booed, yet the roles quickly reversed as a flag on the play meant the ball went all the way back to the Broncos 19.

A few solid plays later and once again Denver were threatening, now with just seconds left, but a dreadful pass from Orton under pressure (as per usual) resulted in an easy interception, and the game was over.

FT Broncos 16- 24 49ers

So a hugely exciting finish from two rubbish sides. The Broncos had no stand out performance in my view, with Orton making lots of short gains, but lacking the killer play, whilst always prone to turnovers. The running backs never made more than a yard or two, with Moreno the main go to man, but simply making no ground, and the wide receivers were anonymous throughout. All in all a dreadful side, a pale shadow of the one I watched back in 06.

Meanwhile the 49ers QB did well given he was only third choice, making some excellent plays, while Gore made strong gains on the ground, keeping them moving forwards at all times. They have some good players in the side, but with the start to the season that they have had it will likely end in disappointment. Both sides now enter their bye weeks at the foot of their respective divisions, both with 2 wins and 6 losses, but the Wembley crowd left the game satisfied with a good show between two formerly great sides.

And I left pleased to have seen my Broncos in action, though wishing it was still the side of a few years ago rather than the terrible one now. What I love about American football though is that a bad team never stays bad for long, and a good one is only one season away from a terrible one. The Broncos were immense for years, and were due a poor streak- this is it, and hopefully when I next get to see them they will be back on their way to the top.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Press Crew 2010-12-07 09:15:34

Seems that we just can't get enough of sporting journalism. How about some cricket?

Ashes 2010 - Second Test, Adelaide

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature