00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tabletop Role-playing Games Club

13,625 Views | 113 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 03:44:55

This is a shock, considering that there are many, many people play them. Whether it's the good ol' Dungeons and Dragons or the White Wolf World of Darkness game or the home-brew systems. There are games that are memorable to us, complete gong-shows or moments of glory. You have DMs who present a great story or the stupidest premise you've witnessed. Whether you're in a group online or a more interactive real-life game there are tabletops we like to play. We have our d20 systems and d10 systems using all those funny shaped dice.

Though, I personally would like to here peoples takes on other board games they play, the general premise here is about the RPGs and to share our gaming stories and too get veterans and newbies a like to get together from their particular groups.

Simple guidelines:
Don't be a dick.
Follow the general BBS rules.
Have a good time.

So if you're willing talk about your battles, your triumphs, your falls and basically anything that involves "fighting like men."

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 03:50:11

I've been playing D&D, World of Darkness, Exalted and various other systems for the best part of the last 15 years now.

I'm really getting back into RPing, as my friends did at one point cause me to have a crisis of confidence, though new friends (I still see the old ones) and new scenarios have rekindled my love for it.

If you click my signature, it will take you to my World of Darkness fanfiction, which is based around the werewolf game that we started about 2 years ago. I've not played that for over a year and I'm just trying to catch up with the story, as we currently stand, before we restart.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 04:41:16

I once played Dungeons and Dragons when I was around 10 years old. It was at a holiday programme with a bunch of kids I didn't know. I didn't have a choice, but I wasn't protesting too much.

We got our characters by pulling a random card out of the box. I believe I was an elven princess. Or something along those lines. I know I was a woman. I took this well considering my age.

The dungeon master was not enthusiastic. He did not give us many options as to choose what to do. He just went on in monotone about how we were in a forest.

I rolled a 3, got killed by a pack of wolves, and left the game after about a quarter of an hour.

And that is my experience with Dungeons and Dragons.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 07:02:11

Alright, so far so good. I've gotten into Tabletops recently thanks to the likes of the Spoony Experiment and the fact there are often games on the Ventrillo server. I was fortunate enough to get into an actual game there because the DM of Doom DeanTheAdequate was tired of on the the players being a complete asshat (the guy made a useless Bear Druid after his Barbarian DIED IN LAVA!) So I asked, I made a character and got in and I'm doing okay. Currently, my Character is missing a spine after I stabbed a dragon, who got an AOO and criticed me, ripping out my spine, and naturally playing a female character ended up as paheal fodder.

Other games on this server include The World's Largest Dungeon where anyone can grab a pre-made character (one of four, one of which I made), a D20 Modern game (which is currently in The World of Darkness which is funny because one of the characters is prettymuch a guy who BLEEDS Banality and I love listening to it), a Ravenloft game from the Forgotton Realms Campaign (the DM here, Streetwraith already killed a few characters, mine included who is a Samurai from the Oriental Adventures campaign and is based off of Toshiro Mifune). Upcoming is an Everquest Tabletop which because I have the free time I am creating a character (that and the Changeling game where I was playing a Satyr named Torgo pretty much went to shit and the DM gave those players first dibs on Everquest).

My DM's are awesome.

Incidently, I often Twitter about these games here: http://twitter.com/DancingMadProd

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 08:16:18

At 9/15/10 07:02 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Incidently, I often Twitter about these games here: http://twitter.com/DancingMadProd

Finally, a somewhat decent use for twitter.

Still, I'd be crap at it, due my propensity to use elongated words, where one or two characters would otherwise suffice :P

Still, with my group that I'm currently running a game for on Monday nights are fantastic. In my Exalted (Dragonbloods) game, they have threatened to burn a village to the ground, had one of them arrested (falsely) for murder, escaped, killed the judge (Magistrate) that passed sentence and encountered an NPC that is vastly more powerful then them. I might reveal his lineage at some point, but having them believe in his mortality is fantastic, when he is one of the people that they are supposed to be hunting.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-15 10:50:45

can I join I love playing D&D Axis and Allies and Risk.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-16 00:31:22

At 9/15/10 10:50 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: can I join I love playing D&D Axis and Allies and Risk.

Absolutely.

My favourite game ever, and I tweeted about it, but doing that does NOT do justice to the game.

Alright, our mission was to find an Assassin who was responsible for straight up murdering a high ranking Paladin under Lord Brennen. So, we set off, however, during this time, our main cleric decided he wanted to play a different character for a while, which would be perfectly fine in the other cleric in the party wasn't a complete idiot. Why do I say this? Because this Cleric, Othco used to be a Druid. Yeah, as a Druid he summoned a fire elemental to attack a bee hive... this was destporying nature and once he did this he lost all his Druidic powers. How he became a Cleric is because our DM thought it would be best if he became a Cleric of Obid-Hai, because Obid-Hai is the God who grows the best weed and is too high to care about a DRUID FUCKING WITH NATURE. More on this later. This Cleric, had runes put on him buy Obid-Hai because of the whole burning nature thing. He decided to get those runes filled in because he didn't like being watched. Now, Othco while wandering got a chance to talk to the god of Lichdom, Vecna. He made a deal with Vecna. More on this as we discuss the game.

So, as we are wandering, things were kind of slow (I was off my a-game). I mean, we were in a tavern that lead to the Assassin's hideout. So, we come across this room, this room is full of statues, a telescope and is basically A TRAP! Now, our Rogue Quill touches a statue... then disappears, I try doing the same to the same statue but nothing, Othco decides to touch another statue and then he disappears. Now, at thing point we decided to break the statues, we break the statue Othco touched and out he pops barely alive. We break the one Quill touch, and she pops out dead... which made our defacto leader, Quarian go all "Fuck, should have broke that statue first." and two things you have to note, in character, Quill and Quarian are about to be married to each other so keep this in mind for later. We carry on, get through the traps, and the various puzzles... until we find a room that has a scroll with a riddle in it, it was about a human, an orc, an elf and a dwarf in a bar and which one got the right drink. we had three chances. We tried Everyone... didn't work, we tried no one... didn't work... Then we tried the Dwarf.... the scroll burns away and this scroll has a True Ressurection spell on it. Oh yeah. It turned out, thanks to analyze from Streetwraith who was listening in... it was the orc. Which make Quarian go "fuck, we could have used that spell and I should have known that." Basically, because we figured we needed our rogue and Quarian wanted to save his fiancee he decided to call and summon an evil Rahsaka Hajj Vur (who is the anti-thesis of Quarian because of their similarities). Now, Our Paladin was explained this so he and Othco went so the Paladin doesn't try to Smite Evil Hajj Vur. The Paladin was apeshit after this and was being held back. Now, Quarian and Hajj Vur were trying to make a deal, and Hajj Vur, being evil and all puts a brand on Quarian that says "Hajj Vur's bitch" now the deal resulted in Quarian trying to get Hajj Vur to take him to Res Quill. HHajj Vur laughed, and Quarian said "any party member who would interest you" and Hajj Vur pointed to my charater saying "the woman" Quarian basically said fuck that, and the Paladin after calm down offered himself to JHajj Vur, which he would have taken, but Othco chimed in saying "how about you take me. " Hajj Vur pretty much said "You're not worth anything too me... however, the secret you have does... tell me and I think we can come to a deal." Othco had to tell Hajj Vurr and the rest of the party that he was "secretly working for Vecna." Which began my joy. I was starting to laugh, because what would result couldn't have fit better because Othco was not a proper cleric, he was more like a cleric that tanks and never heals. THe chainsaw fucking that follows is awesome.

After we learn about this, the Paladin went insane, and even though he was told and accepted that Quarian was summoning a demon, and once Othco admitted to working for Vecna, the Paladin pretty much put Quarian on his shitlist as well as Othco for the amount of evil said. the Paladin was "QUARIANWORKSWITHDEMONS" and "OTCHOISTHEWORSTCLERICEVER"

After ithis, comes the dark lord himself, we all had to make Fear saves and only myself , Quarian and the paladin made those roles.. there was nothing we could do. Vecna is a god, so we waited and Vecna proceeded to fuck Othco with a chainsaw for "betraying a secret." He took Othco's hand and eye which made him lose 20 hitpoints... forever. Also, remember those runes? Well, Vecna removed the fillings of those runes saying "let your god see you." After his work was done, he dropped Othco, and he would have been dead had Obid-Hai, the patron saint of weed not caught him. Obid-Hai was clearly upset about the whole "working with Vecna" thing and basically being a horrible Cleric after all the free-passes Obid-Hai gave him. Obid-Hai was being super lenient and gave Othco another chance., leaving him a gift to restore his hp and con damage. However, Othco said he still wanted to finish his job for Vecna... now, this will come to bite him in the ass the game after where the Paladin ends up killing him (which was stupid). But man, I had NEVER laughed my ass off so hard in a game before.

Best. Game. Ever.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-16 00:34:19

I've been wanting to get into DnD. I've never actually played it, but I understand the basic concepts and rules. What's the best class for a half-elf? I want to be a physical fighter, but also well-balanced.

I played Maid RPG once though. That was fun.

Axis and Allies and Diplomacy are a couple of my favorite games. Frankly because I always win.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-16 08:58:39

At 9/16/10 12:31 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: My favourite game ever, and I tweeted about it, but doing that does NOT do justice to the game.

Buh...

Well, it's a different game, I'll give you that. And I thought that our power gaming was bad.

At 9/16/10 12:34 AM, RobotTaco wrote: I've been wanting to get into DnD. I've never actually played it, but I understand the basic concepts and rules. What's the best class for a half-elf? I want to be a physical fighter, but also well-balanced.

Because of the Humanity in them, they are well suited to pretty much any class. With their Elvan roots, Ranger tends to come to the fore, but as the dex bonus comes in, I'd say stick with a Rogue for starters.

That said, I've played a Half Orc rogue, with like 9 Dex, which was quite funny. Eventually, when I bought the ranks, I could do all of the stuff, but for the first 5 levels, I couldn't do anything regarding skills at all.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-17 23:20:13

At 9/16/10 08:58 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/16/10 12:31 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: My favourite game ever, and I tweeted about it, but doing that does NOT do justice to the game.
Buh...

Well, it's a different game, I'll give you that. And I thought that our power gaming was bad.

Well, the guy never was a proper Druid or a proper Cleric. But hey, I said I ran into a Dragon, I tried to do a melee attack on a dragon. That was stupid.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-18 08:01:57

At 9/18/10 01:06 AM, Tetros wrote: I've never really played any of these such games, but I've thought about it occasionally. Know any good ones I should look out for?

Well, I think your best bet is to look for someone whose running a game and knows what they're doing. They will guide you on the proper ways to build a character and how the world and setting works. Try 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. It's not the greatest system but it's really good for inexperienced players. But if you can find a person doing a 3.5 game it's not too hard to figure out, and you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it. Most DMs will guide you anyway.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-18 09:01:14

At 9/17/10 11:20 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
At 9/16/10 08:58 AM, Coop83 wrote: Buh...

Well, the guy never was a proper Druid or a proper Cleric.

Yeah, perhaps it's a case that they never learned what the term "role playing" actually meant? Seriously, there's this douche at the group I see on Sundays and regardless of the character he plays, he will always be a weasel. What is there that I can steal? I'll put that into my bag etc. He stole the Cleric's Holy Symbol, while they were asleep and refused to give it back. When it came to the Cleric being called upon to heal him, there was no healing. Just a cure minor wounds, to stop the bleeding.

But hey, I said I ran into a Dragon, I tried to do a melee attack on a dragon. That was stupid.

One of the guys hit a Juvenile White Dragon on the snout, telling it to "stop being s naughty" and it did. Roleplaying a girl has it's up points, I guess :P

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-18 14:41:37

D&D (v3.5), Magic: The Gathering
As of right now, I'm a lv 3 Dwarf fighter going through a very long quest over a new continent our DM just designed, and we've not even left our starting point of a major port city, Kristal Stadt (yes, the city names are German).
I'm also an aspiring DM, though what I'm working on right now is in only the earliest stages.

As far as Magic is concerned, I'm right now running a vampire deck, and I'm working on a Red/Green Elemental deck.
What I'm looking for as far as the Elemental deck is too much too list, given it's only in the earliest of stages, yet for the vamp deck, 'm still looking for at least 2 more bloodghast and 2 more consuming vapors, maybe some more Guul Draz assassin, and probably a Malakir bloodwitch.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-18 23:48:29

count me in chief i have been playing D20 modern as of late

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and FUCK the prom queen!

OCCUPY SKYRIM!!!

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-18 23:55:05

also i have been playing D&D v 3.5 i ahave an entire fing library on pdf and hell even picked up the card game "3 dragon ante" anything you wanna know about ask me, extra classes, psionics, weapons etc also i just picked up a supplement to D20 modern with D20 Future lotsa cool shit flux capcitors and the like

OCCUPY SKYRIM!!!

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-20 05:13:17

At 9/18/10 09:01 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/17/10 11:20 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
At 9/16/10 08:58 AM, Coop83 wrote: Buh...

Well, the guy never was a proper Druid or a proper Cleric.
Yeah, perhaps it's a case that they never learned what the term "role playing" actually meant? Seriously, there's this douche at the group I see on Sundays and regardless of the character he plays, he will always be a weasel. What is there that I can steal? I'll put that into my bag etc. He stole the Cleric's Holy Symbol, while they were asleep and refused to give it back. When it came to the Cleric being called upon to heal him, there was no healing. Just a cure minor wounds, to stop the bleeding.

...See, the guy playing Othco knows he was bad cleric, but he was an interesting character and he's now playing a monk who is a little less stupid... though he did get eaten by a purple worm last game so a bit of DERP there.

But hey, I said I ran into a Dragon, I tried to do a melee attack on a dragon. That was stupid.
One of the guys hit a Juvenile White Dragon on the snout, telling it to "stop being s naughty" and it did. Roleplaying a girl has it's up points, I guess :P

Dude, I looked like some shit you'd find on paheal. Totally gored and a gurofest. Come next game, I played a lot smarter.... but the party were being dicks and I wasn't involved much.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-20 08:30:48

At 9/18/10 11:55 PM, blamurai wrote: also i have been playing D&D v 3.5 i ahave an entire fing library on pdf and hell even picked up the card game "3 dragon ante" anything you wanna know about ask me, extra classes, psionics, weapons etc also i just picked up a supplement to D20 modern with D20 Future lotsa cool shit flux capcitors and the like

Never tried D20 modern, but I did get into playing the better version of D&D - Pathfinder, which is kind of what 4th Edition should have been.

At 9/20/10 05:13 AM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote: Dude, I looked like some shit you'd find on paheal. Totally gored and a gurofest. Come next game, I played a lot smarter.... but the party were being dicks and I wasn't involved much.

I hate it when that happens - I always love running around and actually acting like your character is supposed to be, as opposed to "I can do blah" in the way that only a player would.

That's why Mondays are my better gaming nights.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-20 23:57:48

At 9/20/10 08:30 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/18/10 11:55 PM, blamurai wrote: d20 modern shit
Never tried D20 modern, but I did get into playing the better version of D&D - Pathfinder, which is kind of what 4th Edition should have been.

the basis behind D20 modern is it's more comparable to an Action movie ala Die hard Speed, etc but has the potential to go to a " Dawn of the Dead" "Mimic" "Tremors" "Underworld" campaign

One difference is, that instead of GP you roll a Purchase check to see if you can purchase an item and ifyou have the correct license- fire arms vehicles etc. Another difference is you get "Action points" to spend on an encounter , basicall an extra point to add to your dice check, to help influence the out come of the DC, fun stuff,

a LAWS M72 Anti tank rocket launcher does 10d6

OCCUPY SKYRIM!!!

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-25 16:18:16

i'm looking to set up a skypechat d&d game, me as DM. please PM me if you'd like to start a new campaign with me.

If you read this, the terrorists win.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-25 21:43:26

At 9/25/10 04:18 PM, HappyMango wrote: i'm looking to set up a skypechat d&d game, me as DM. please PM me if you'd like to start a new campaign with me.

Depends on the date, time and what version of DnD it is.

Also, folks in Vent did World's Largest Dungeon, I played the Paladin (naturally, since I created her and based her off of a character I wrote for an unfinished Short Story for the NG Writing Contests). Basically, it boils down to this, we journeyed, and we found a band of orcs and thanks to Paladin's being awesome with Diplomacy checks and our Wizard cutting a good deal with them the party has meat shields. I am just loling over the fact these things haven't complicated raping the elf in our party (I've seen the doujins!).

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-26 00:10:25

well first i'd like to get to know who'll be participating, also this would be on skype, if i already mentioned. i have 4th edition. (dragonborn ftw) and the date and time will be determined based on the eligibility and the availability of the members involved

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-27 00:29:20

So last night was 3.5, not going to much detail, but after the game the player playing the Bard pretty much called out the entire party because they were being complete fucking assholes to the guy excluding my character. So there was some issues that needed to be addressed.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-27 08:56:58

We're revisiting a game tonight - Werewolf in the new World of Darkness is back on the menu. After gaining control of Powick Hospital as our place of power, the group is going to be introduced to a new member of the pack (Andrea's boyfriend Dave, who joined us after we took a recess from the game to play other games for a while)

I'm wondering how Gareth will take it, as he's not used to people all that much. Still, that should be good fun tonight.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-27 12:19:03

At 9/27/10 08:56 AM, Coop83 wrote: We're revisiting a game tonight - Werewolf in the new World of Darkness is back on the menu. After gaining control of Powick Hospital as our place of power, the group is going to be introduced to a new member of the pack (Andrea's boyfriend Dave, who joined us after we took a recess from the game to play other games for a while)

Heh, World of Darkness... I miss Changeling, playing a Satyr called Torgo who talked like Torgo from Manos The Hands of Fate was the lulz. But, luckily that d20 game is still in WoD and I expect a lot of fae heads to explode after they meet the physicist :P

I'm wondering how Gareth will take it, as he's not used to people all that much. Still, that should be good fun tonight.

Oh you whore :D

Anyway, last night was Ravenloft, and I tweeted about my personal Crowning Moment of Awesome. But lets start at the top.

So, we're on a boat, I am down to ONE hit point and I am the only character still standing. Our cleric was in the negatives but not dead, so in comes a little Deus Ex, our Cleric gets beter and the rest of the party does because, everybody gets one in the eyes of Lathander. But, our Rogue doesn't... not yet... he comes back and he's shovel is now a masterwork weapon and can apparently suck souls (more on this at 11). After all this, we eventually reach a town and go see the Count of the area, the patron offers use something to drink and because I'm a fucking idiot and asks for ALE instead of sake (the ale turned out to be a fucking Dwarf drink and that knocked me the fuck out). After I wake up and buy some much needed stuff, we get into a battle with Orcs, lots of orcs and after I kill one of them.. eight of them gang up o me and proceed to knock me the fuck out... I blame my party mates for not helping my ass. After a quick heal, the entire party becomes slaves and we have to go kill hob-goblins. Were I get hit with a Javelin, and come my turn I pull the javelin out of my chest and then throw it back at the guy who hit me, and I kill him. After befriending a wolf a Barbarian comes out and after we take turns wacking it, the rogue hits it with his shovel and captures his soul. After this the game moreorless ends.

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-27 15:37:18

So, what do you guys think of the Scars of Mirrodin that's being released Thursday at Midnight? I went to a pre release and got some pretty bad ass cards, though this set is really heavy on artifacts.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-27 15:42:57

played 4th ed on skype last night. started off in a dungeon. my friend josh rolled a critical on an attack roll, to kick a halfling in the nuts. lol. he also rolled a 19, to humping a door open. true that he's not taking it seriously, but at the time it was the funniest thing ever. also im still realizing that i am GOD. i havent really altered monsters to the way i'd like, which i'll start doing.

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-29 03:55:16

At 9/27/10 03:42 PM, HappyMango wrote: played 4th ed on skype last night. started off in a dungeon. my friend josh rolled a critical on an attack roll, to kick a halfling in the nuts. lol. he also rolled a 19, to humping a door open. true that he's not taking it seriously, but at the time it was the funniest thing ever. also im still realizing that i am GOD. i havent really altered monsters to the way i'd like, which i'll start doing.

My DM has a great saying "I am not god, just think of me as your "Angel of Murphy.'"

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-29 12:43:36

At 9/27/10 12:19 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
At 9/27/10 08:56 AM, Coop83 wrote: We're revisiting a game tonight - Werewolf in the new World of Darkness is back on the menu. After gaining control of Powick Hospital as our place of power, the group is going to be introduced to a new member of the pack (Andrea's boyfriend Dave, who joined us after we took a recess from the game to play other games for a while)
Heh, World of Darkness... I miss Changeling, playing a Satyr called Torgo who talked like Torgo from Manos The Hands of Fate was the lulz. But, luckily that d20 game is still in WoD and I expect a lot of fae heads to explode after they meet the physicist :P

Nice - I've not played Changeling, though I have a sneaking suspicion that I will be railroaded into it at some point.

Oh you whore :D

Of course - this might be a few chapters down the road though. I now have a fetish, which was my brother's medal, only embossed onto my chest. That was a strange piece of RP, considering he;s been dead for a good few years.

Anyway, last night was Ravenloft, and I tweeted about my personal Crowning Moment of Awesome. But lets start at the top.

Nice one. We've got SLA Industries on Saturday night. I have no idea how well things will pan out...

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-09-30 09:22:02

I have played D&D and WOD games before. They are both excellent in their own way.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Tabletop Role-playing Games Club 2010-10-09 05:37:18

So, I made a character for Star Wars d20 Modern with an inexperienced DM. I made a Human Scoundrel. His name is Caedius Mason Punk. CM Punk. This game is going to be awesome.