00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ramenretro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feature Games

9,271 Views | 132 Replies

Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:23:32

A lot of people have asked for it and I've always been curious, so I'm experimenting with what happens when GAMES are featured above MOVIES on the front page. I'm just saying it to hopefully prevent a bunch of threads about it. THOUGHTS?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:24:04

At 7/5/10 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: A lot of people have asked for it and I've always been curious, so I'm experimenting with what happens when GAMES are featured above MOVIES on the front page. I'm just saying it to hopefully prevent a bunch of threads about it. THOUGHTS?

Did somebody post while I was typing this?

Hasn't found anything to sig yet, so here's an image:

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:24:55

Movies are more important.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:25:10

Back on topic, I doubt I would even notice such a change.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:26:21

Doesn't really bother me. I'm more likely to play a game than watch a movie, though.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:26:40

Oh man that looks crazy, I preferred it with the movies on top. Could just have a featured box with movies on one side and games on the other.

I be down with Mozart mother fucker! I've been banging out jives since I was a dickworm

Slags and hoes.

Oh shit king kong what are you going

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:27:19

At 7/5/10 01:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: Movies are more important.

I find games wayyy more important.

I find movies boring.

what

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:27:59

What if we could choose where things appeared for us on the front page?

Then everyone can have what they like best where they're likely to look for it.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:28:04

At 7/5/10 01:27 PM, Papo wrote:
At 7/5/10 01:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: Movies are more important.
I find games wayyy more important.

I find movies boring.

Did anyone else play Coma? It was like a game and a movie, except with spelling errors.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:28:44

Games are more important... above movies if you ask me.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:28:45

Games last longer...

Movies... Not so much.

The statement below this is false.

The statement above this is true.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:29:04

Although I prefer flash movies over games, I feel this is a reasonable change for the frontpage. Movies are still getting a lot of support on this site but games seem to get extra attention these days so it makes sense.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:29:50

At 7/5/10 01:27 PM, Stevenscar wrote: What if we could choose where things appeared for us on the front page?

I would like that too some day.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:30:11

I think Games on top work better, as more people will be looking for flash games than movies, it only makes sense that they see the games section first.

hello

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:30:17

I already like how movies are above games on the FP, but switching them around would be interesting.

HUGS AND KISSES

This signature has been done by the incredibly sexy Donut.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:31:41

At 7/5/10 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: A lot of people have asked for it and I've always been curious, so I'm experimenting with what happens when GAMES are featured above MOVIES on the front page. I'm just saying it to hopefully prevent a bunch of threads about it. THOUGHTS?

Maybe its just because i'm an animator but i feel that there's not really any site on the internet besides newgrounds that properly showcases movies. With games above movies it makes me think that even LESS people would bother watching the toons :/

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:33:32

I think featuring games above movies would completely shadow them.

You get way more traffic on your games section compared to the movie section, so you have to feature them more prominently on the front page to give them more exposure, otherwise they wouldn't be viewed as much. People look for games, not so much for movies.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:37:02

I prefer it this way because I play a hell of a lot more games than I do watch movies.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:44:21

Everyone comes here for slightly various reasons... I personally mainly check the forums (unfortunatley), then it's audio.

To be relevant about the frontpage change, then...

I watch more movies than I play games, and I think it's convenient to be told 1/week what game to check out. I rarley browse what games are on the frontpage at all, other than the big showcase-window.

Seeing as usually more games are being showcased in the "feature of the week"-window, perhaps it might make sense to focus a little more on animations since the "feature games" popped up a step?

In the end, I guess it's partly about what actually brings the $, and how NG wishes to profile itself. Alot of people says, when I mention NG "it's that webgame-site, right?"
I'm guessing that NG is most known for the games, which only is natural taking the Behemoth into the equation too...

If you wanna try something interesting out, with the risk of loosing a buck or two, you should try out tossing audio or art at the top instead! :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:44:26

At 7/5/10 01:35 PM, citricsquid wrote:
It might be blasphemous, but have you tried Youtube? Animation is surprisingly popular if it's good. A popular animation on Youtube would drive more traffic than one on Newgrounds, although shitty/mediocre would get more attention on Newgrounds. Take a look at HappyHarry, he has something like 3 Million views per video across his good ones.

Yes but getting views on youtube is HARD unless you're featured by others. Fortunately i'm friends with Oney so he put me in his box thing, subscribers are still slow though.

And even then, i still feel there is just MORE on NG than there is youtube (And i mean more quality work, there's shittons of 12 year old first flashes on youtube).. Plus everyone has a fair-er chance here with the whole score system

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:45:29

cool!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:47:38

Movies are cooler.

Also Tom, the General forum is a big spam fest.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:49:12

I think it should go back to the original way where there was one section with games and movies mixed together. Then there could be more room on the front page for stuff like Bytesize or hot topics on the BBS (besides admins and P-Bot) and stuff like that.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:50:33

At 7/5/10 01:27 PM, Stevenscar wrote: What if we could choose where things appeared for us on the front page?

Agree with this.
But wouldn't it end up a bit to much like YouTube? Like a subscription box or whatever?

Just a thought...

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:50:58

Experimenting is not good Tom. You must stop

jk it's cool

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 13:53:30

Flash games are what brought me here from where i can't remember, i had no idea that newgrounds had movies. I dont see how putting them above should affect what people go for, they will choose what they like and games are major, it doesn't discredit movies i would just expect games to be more popular anyway.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 14:00:10

I think experimenting is good. Maybe it could even be seasonal... like i find myself watching more movies as pico day approaches / during the month of april. Same with xmas / halloween / madnessday etc. Like there definately 'feels' like some months/weeks feel more movie dominated than others..

On the other hand, during the summer i find myself playing alot more games. Like the hot ass days and being bored at home compels me to want to find more games to keep me busy with.

I dunno, i know that sounds deeply personal in how i personally interact with the front page but maybe it isnt?

I did kind of like the 'mystery prize' aspect of the old design where movies and games were jumbled.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 14:01:27

At 7/5/10 01:50 PM, D-Wahl wrote: Agree with this.
But wouldn't it end up a bit to much like YouTube? Like a subscription box or whatever?
Just a thought...

I don't think so. I just thought it would be a good way to make sure you see the things that are important to you. If you like games, you can move the games to the top. If like art almost as much as games, you can move that right underneath. Trouble loading the page? You can disable things that you don't really pay attention to anyway.

I was also thinking about a Newgrounds computer application. When activated, it could stay in the side bar, task bar, dock, etc. and could display info on your Newgrounds account such as level, experience to level, replies to your posts, and comments on your flashes/art/audio all without needing to be logged in. It could also be set to display the newest flashes, art, and audio submissions and would refresh every 5-15 minutes.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 14:22:18

Games are better for if you have time to kill but aren't as entertaining as movies.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 14:28:45

Ha, I went on the frontpage today and I was like, I didn't know Super Mario Crossover was a movi-wait a minute!

BBS Signature