I feel alive.

SteakJohnson
SteakJohnson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 10:31 PM Reply

music significantly lowered my grades... But I sure can make poundin drums now!

BBS Signature
TheBenjerman
TheBenjerman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 02:02 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 03:08 PM, Chronamut wrote: I suppose as long as they don't affect the type of music you are trying to make and you are still free to make whatever you want and you still get enough to make a decent living off of it's ok.

I suppose I agree with you there, but I kinda sit between you and Gravey on this one. Signing with a big label is a big decision that can make you or ruin you, much like any other part of the music business. I have a friend who signed with a major label right out of high school, and they pay him nothing and keep him on the back burner just in case he comes up with something good, but also have a right to his music. That sucks. Ass.

However, a label is an investor. They are spending their time and money on you in the hopes that you will succeed, and they will get their money back. They truly want you to succeed, and usually have the means necessary. Sometimes this will affect your music in ways that you may not like, and sometimes it will help you a lot. I think it is certainly not necessary at all to sign with a label, but could be very beneficial. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Know the legal papers backwards and forwards, and negotiate. And remember, you can't do everything yourself, even if you are an indie artist/group. If you are making money, chances are you don't have time or resources to deal with everything, so you'll need to ask for help on things.

Just my own little rant on the subject, but I will gladly defer to Gravey and Chronamut.

BBS Signature
mr-jazzman
mr-jazzman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 03:15 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 01:43 PM, Gravey wrote: Stuff

Good points Gravey, in both comments you made to Chronamut.

When it comes down to it, though, I think the number one thing that helps a band make it big is not necessarily the label, but just sheer ballsiness. I dunno if anyone here has ever heard of Nothing More from San Antonio, but they are a band that has prided themselves in gaining a decent crowd and earnings without being signed (well...until recently, at least). Perhaps they had the right connections (the drummer's father is a spokesperson for a local venue called the Scout Bar...a place where HUGE names play at when they come to town), and perhaps they got lucky (San Antonio's music scene is shit...literally the only bands that get stage time here are straight-up death metal bands, with all band members but the ripe age of 16), but then again, they DEDICATED themselves and put their minds to it. They self-produced their own album, have it out on iTunes etc.; all of their marketing is done by friends and family of the band (selling of t-shirts & other collectibles; my friends and I help them mostly with spreading the word about shows that they play at with flyers and what not); and the fans aren't afraid to tell other people about these guys. They've got the talent, they've got the stage presence...they have the whole f@#$ing nine yards. Just their sheer dedication to what they love has gotten them where they are now. And they DO their own thing. I'm not entirely sure if they're just an anomaly or not, but they are a prime example of the idea that the record label doesn't necessarily have to be in the picture to make a band big.

But then again, Nothing More is apparently signed now...But they didn't START by being signed. Their fanbase is solely theirs and theirs alone. Nobody helped them develop it or their music. In my opinion, they did the right thing: Developed what they could with their dedication, then decided to take it to the next level BY being signed. It's almost like having sex too young: You're not really and truly ready for it until you've developed an understanding of the way the adult world works...Weird analogy, I know...but it's the whole "too much too soon" philosophy, in my opinion.

Nothing More rulez d00d!

BBS Signature
iHeartQuistis
iHeartQuistis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 06:03 AM Reply

Music gave me something to do, and when I realized that my relatively small audience did more than just 'enjoy' my tunes and actually LOVED my music... I thought I could get somewhere with it. Unfortunately, I still haven't made a single nickel for any of my efforts, but it gives me something to do and I love finishing a great piece...

If I actually ever end up famous, it'd probably be more-so for my fitness. My current dream is to be a sponsor & model for Optimum Nutrition, but I'll keep music as a hobby... and keep hopin' some animator will use my music for his game or flash...

BBS Signature
superdum2
superdum2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 07:07 AM, Darkmaster603 wrote: music killed my father, and raped my mother.

I am the offspring of musical rape

i feel your pain man

LightKeeper
LightKeeper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 08:47 PM Reply

I never got popular through music? I would be surprised if anyone on here could name one of my songs without going through my track list on my page or realized that I made "that song". I've had two songs on the top 30 in the audio portal but that doesn't make me popular. I think there's really only a few people on here who could answer that question, the people who have made money off their music or the people who really inspire new comers to get going in the music field and get better.

Sure, popularity will change an artist though. Mostly because as you become popular you gain a greater audience and you have to appeal to more fans... that and some other factors that have been listed already..

GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 09:05 PM Reply

Music hasn't really changed me. It's helped me express things I haven't been able to do otherwise. My most emotional songs have been composed in critical stages of my life. It's a nice outlet I guess.

I'm not in it for the money or the fame, but they're bonuses that may come with it and I wouldn't turn them down if they ever did. I'm passionate about what I do because I like what I do, I enjoy it a lot.

To me, the best thing about making music is seeing peoples' reactions to it (assuming you've reached a point where you can actually get reactions from people with it). It's great to know someone out there probably downloaded your song and plays it before they go to sleep, or to know that it helped someone in a rough situation.

My music is actually rather personal to me. I've only shown it to a handful of IRL friends.

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Meh, small following. Trying to find new outlets to get my music out there. It's frustrating how much more known I could have become due to things that were out of my control.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply

I have 58 people that have me on their favorite artist list...but I don't have any kind of following. I make music for myself, and if anyone likes it that's good too. I can't say I know of anyone who actually follows my music lol.

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature
InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:32 AM Reply

I'm big in China.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:44 AM Reply

At 7/1/10 10:03 PM, Darkmaster603 wrote: I have 58 people that have me on their favorite artist list...but I don't have any kind of following. I make music for myself, and if anyone likes it that's good too. I can't say I know of anyone who actually follows my music lol.

eh I got 1090 - truth of the matter is - I don't know who 99% of them are - and most likely never will. It's kind of weird that way..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Spikrodd
Spikrodd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:46 AM Reply

Before music, I was a nobody.
But now, I'm a nobody with a soundtrack.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:17 AM Reply

I completely forgot to mention how 'popular' i am set aside from if i want to be popular.

I get very high eyes from the people i share my music with among wich are performing guitarists and a music mentor who has played together with a whole lot of jazz and folk artists.
Thats enough for me. I rather be apreciated by few talented musicians than by a lot of oblivious ordinary people.

Especially since money isnt a drive behind music and shouldnt be but hey whatever floats your boat and gets you off and makes you oil your body and makes you touch yourself in bed.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

darkmelee
darkmelee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 4th, 2010 @ 12:35 AM Reply

i have no base and only have better instruments than i used to.

poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 4th, 2010 @ 11:59 AM Reply

I guess people in the IDM and Breakcore community appreciate my stuff. I can't say I haven't gained popularity since I started, because I noticeably get advice and comments and reviews from many more musicians in my genre than I used to, but it's not to some extreme degree. I'm just satisfied with the occasional compliment. Keeps me going I guess.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 4th, 2010 @ 01:57 PM Reply

Music has enabled me to feel like I suck at something. ...again.

Box-Killa
Box-Killa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jul. 4th, 2010 @ 05:04 PM Reply

I have less space on my hard drive :(

Box-Killa
Box-Killa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats