00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

finalfridayss just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New game concept art

1,019 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New game concept art 2010-05-26 23:20:24

So this is the first bit of concept art for a game I'm helping you develop.

I'm always trying to work on my anatomy, but in this case, I wasn't thinking about it, I was more focused on getting the character idea across by exagerrating certain features. How's it looking?

New game concept art

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-26 23:34:29

Arms are tooooooooo damn huge, head too long, legs too short.

What's your goal in exaggerating the anatomy? To make him look like a dumb brute (TF2 heavy), or perhaps you want to make him look tall and thin? Certain exaggerations give off certain messages, so what exactly do you want to show?

Also the shading and the pose look kind of flat.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-26 23:36:51

sry man but everything about the character is bad

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-26 23:50:46

At 5/26/10 11:36 PM, Jereminion wrote: sry man but everything about the character is bad

Elaborate? You're not helping.

----------------

Anyway, I've taken a look at some of your other stuff and I'd suggest you should try to get regular anatomy right before you start exaggerations. If you just start messing with body proportions, don't just randomly change proportions, have a reason behind it. In cartoons, brute like characters often have huge torsos, square faces, huge muscular arms and tiny legs. A slightly build torso and bigger than average arms with the rest having normal proportions make for the hero archetype. Think of what you're aiming for when doing these kinds of things.

I remember seeing a cartoon model sheet explaining how to draw child like cartoon characters, showing how there's a rule for large heads for the cute look. If I could get a link to that, it would help in explaining my point.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-26 23:59:20

Going off of what hipp said, A great book I recently checked out myself was action cartooning, you can probably find it at a library, thats where I found a copy. If not, internet is you best bet, theres probably hundreds of tutorials

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 00:27:14

as others have said, get to know your anatomy. And again as it has been mentioned, look at character stereotypes and build off of that.
Get some more wips up and we'll help out as much as we can

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 03:11:10

well i think you should just start over it is far from being saved but

his weapon is a tablet pen? that is retarded sorry to say. you could at least change it so it is actually a weapon that looks like a pen instead of having a big pointless pen that he is using instead of using is brain and just grabbing a sword or mace.

he is wearing a cape? whats the point of that? maybe if he was wearing clothing that went with it

he is wearing knee pads? is he a a construction worker?

the gloves are black for no reason also. everything is unconsistant. the lighting is way off. looks unrealistic. you pasted him 2 times in the background which is ugly and unappealing(3 times more ugly than needed) he looks like a special needs person.

the proportions are way off maybe look at someone on google or leonardo sketches. what is with his shoes? does he have cancer in his toes and needs special boots?

he has a logo or symbol on his chest. that is kinda cool if you are obsessed with newgrounds but why would it be so small? i doubt the character is going to be that size in a game so you may as well make it bigger so you can actually see it when he is resized.

the shirt sleeves are inconsistent as i said before. one is short and one is long, and the left sleeve should be hanging below the arm from gravity

i would look at an object or person in real life to see how shadows really work. they arent just a big circle below you they are bolder the nearer the object is to the shadow. also they make the same shape as the object depending on the light source

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 04:10:55

AWESOME! i think this is a great start, and i actually like the concept of a wacom hero. i aspire to be one, myself.

i don't think it's so much about anatomy. if you go for anatomy and you don't know it, your drawings come out lumpy and stuff. just use a simplified version of anatomy. use basic shapes for each of the major muscles, don't use too much detail. just my opinion tho.

dunno what style you're going for, but here's what i'm talking about. also, you drew the head kinda thin, might be better to make it wider and give it some depth

if you want more help, just message me! it's SUPER hard to follow art posts on this forum

New game concept art

See my comics, updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!

http://www.toonhole.com

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 04:13:13

Thanks for the epic tips guys!

But yeah, cooooncept art, level 1, sketched out quick then lined and coloured, probably will not revise this drawing. But I'll keep what you all said in mind when I come to do the mini in-game sprites.

Possibly more drawings to come, I shall see. But could not have asked for better criqtique on this one :) jereminion you legend.

If I did re-do this one I'd probably concentrate on simpler smoother lines and less over the top muscle structure, because you're right it doesn't exactly work here.

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 04:19:35

At 5/27/10 03:11 AM, Jereminion wrote: well i think you should just start over it is far from being saved but

his weapon is a tablet pen?

Yeah, it's not pointless, it's a giant wacom that acts as a staff/greatswordy clb thing. This is an NG based game, not another regular olden days romp.

he is wearing a cape? whats the point of that?

He's an hero, and I wanted to give him a cape.

he is wearing knee pads? is he a a construction worker?

Platelegs

the gloves are black for no reason also. everything is unconsistant. the lighting is way off. looks unrealistic. you pasted him 2 times in the background which is ugly and unappealing(3 times more ugly than needed) he looks like a special needs person.

I am sorry that my characters need a reason behind the colour of their gloves, and I use the copy paste thing as just a bit of a vigniette, it's not part of the piece really unless you're TRYING to be pedantic.

the proportions are way off maybe look at someone on google or leonardo sketches. what is with his shoes? does he have cancer in his toes and needs special boots?

Was trying for those robin hood era clothe shoes that are all bendy, doesn't really work, will change to regular boots.

he has a logo or symbol on his chest. that is kinda cool if you are obsessed with newgrounds but why would it be so small?

It's the same size as the one in the store.

the shirt sleeves are inconsistent as i said before. one is short and one is long, and the left sleeve should be hanging below the arm from gravity

Heh yeah, I can see that. And no hanging, these are tight sleves yo.

i would look at an object or person in real life to see how shadows really work. they arent just a big circle below you they are bolder the nearer the object is to the shadow. also they make the same shape as the object depending on the light source

Thanks! Next time I find a rugby union player I'll have him stand with my giant wacom pen so I can check out how the shadows really work.

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 04:44:08

At 5/27/10 04:10 AM, Katzenjammer wrote: AWESOME! i think this is a great start, and i actually like the concept of a wacom hero. i aspire to be

that is good help and kool there should be more post like that

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 11:17:20

At 5/27/10 04:44 AM, Jereminion wrote:
At 5/27/10 04:10 AM, Katzenjammer wrote: AWESOME! i think this is a great start, and i actually like the concept of a wacom hero. i aspire to be
that is good help and kool there should be more post like that

Yes, more helpful critiques and less useless complaining.
AKA more posts like Katzenjammer, less posts like Jereminion.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 16:38:55

At 5/27/10 11:17 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yes, more helpful critiques and less useless complaining.
AKA more posts like Katzenjammer, less posts like big-jonny-13 .

you are the only one complaining jackass

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 16:40:13

At 5/27/10 04:38 PM, Jereminion wrote:
At 5/27/10 11:17 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yes, more helpful critiques and less useless complaining.
AKA more posts like Katzenjammer, less posts like big-jonny-13 .
you are the only one complaining jackass

look back through your post history, im sure youll find a reason

or 2, or 3.....

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 16:50:12

At 5/27/10 04:40 PM, Ashman wrote: look back through your post history, im sure youll find a reason

or 2, or 3.....

that doesnt make sense

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-27 17:05:06

Alright chaps, back to the critiquing of the concept art!

BBS Signature

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 13:46:11

Heh the art forum has got heaps better since I was last her. katzenjammer you helped me out with eactly what I needed. i'mm be sure to keep this one in mind for the future :)

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 13:49:36

At 5/27/10 05:05 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Alright chaps, back to the critiquing of the concept art!

yes back to the critiquing please...

MagicalJamie,
Got any more. It seems we have pretty much pegged the major issues for this piece. So how about a few more concepts for the same game. It'll help some users stay on track and help give us a better handle on the game so we can help you more.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 15:40:24

Alright everyone!

So bearing the tips that katzenjammer gave me in mind. I tried to keep my lines cleaner with this one, smoother, still muscular and heroic, but lesssss BULKY? I don't know. I think it's an improvement on the last one but there's always room for more.

Introducing the Level 2 Flash Portal unit, the Flash Animator!

Beware his mighty FlashHammer, and try not to get tweened in the face on the field of battle =/

New game concept art

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 16:14:26

If this is going to be something cartoonish (which most online games are) I would suggest you make the character more like what the "Wacom artist" is typically stylized to be.

Make him one of those pretentious, starving, so-very-close-to-beret-wearing hipsters that thinks he's the dog's bollocks because he knows how many heads tall the average person is. Sure, keep the cape and the gigantic Wacom pen on him, just make it seem ironic that he would be considered a hero.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 16:16:25

If this is going to be something cartoonish (which most online games are) I would suggest you make the character more like what the "Wacom artist" is typically stylized to be.

Make him one of those pretentious, starving, so-very-close-to-beret-wearing hipsters that thinks he's the dog's bollocks because he knows how many heads tall the average person is. Sure, keep the cape and the gigantic Wacom pen on him, just make it seem ironic that he would be considered a hero.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 16:54:18

Naaaahhh, he's a warrior, man! He can't be a skinny pretentious artist! He's a mighty pen weilding knight of the art portal :)

On the list for characters to do:

Flash Portal Faction

Nooblet type Fl
Stick Animator
Flash Animator
Game developer

Audio Portal Faction

Nooblet type Sb
Trance Artist
DnB Mixer
Classical Composer

Art Portal Faction

Nooblet Type Ps
Cartoonist/Flash Artist
Photomanipulator
Digital Painter

Admin Faction

Units still to be decided.

On top of that I still need to sketch out themed home bases for each faction and maybe a rough level map.

Lots to do!

The Game.

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 20:00:24

the way he's holding the pen is kinda gay but still a good pick nonetheless

I.R BABOON

Response to New game concept art 2010-05-28 21:41:19

We've taken a step away from the muscle and buff, to the magical arts of the Audio portal faction, creating enormous energy with the power of music. This level 4 Classical Warlock Composer uses nothing but a simple conducting wand to unleash the pure force of orchestral chaos upon targets.

Watch out! His HP is limited, best beef him up with a couple Trance Artists on defence! (More of that later)

New game concept art

The Game.