00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

external mic doesnt work on laptop

2,530 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

okay, so yesterday i went out and bought a decent mic and stand kit as i was sick of recording guitar through the mp3 player or laptop mic, i unpacked it, plugged it into the laptops mic input using a 3.5mm adapter plug and...... nothing.

yeah ive googled heaps about it and tried the 'show disabled devices' option on the mic properties menu and it doesnt work. anyone else had this problem and managed to get it working?

btw its a compaq running on vista...

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 20:21:31

and yeah, both the mic and adapter work on the guitar amp and stereo, so theyre not at fault

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 20:22:53

Are you using a music program? Give us more info

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 20:49:17

in general, windows doesnt recognise a mic is plugged into it, so any music programs wont recognise it either. if thats what you mean

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 21:52:56

could you give more info? Do you use a recording software? there in no adequate info so it's hard to help.

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 22:08:15

It might be registering in the actual plug-in setting instead of the mic. If nothing else works, it sounds like your pretty much fucked

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-09 22:52:17

At 4/9/10 09:52 PM, masheenH3ad wrote: could you give more info? Do you use a recording software? there in no adequate info so it's hard to help.

ive tried using recording software but its no use as i cant select the external mic at all in the control panel, let alone a menu in sony acid or audacity. it doesnt show up but it mutes the inbuilt mic on the laptop when i plug it in

my mate has a fucking 12 year old laptop that lets you instantly record with a mic as soon as you plug it in. why the fuck dont most normal laptops do this nowadays?

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-10 12:00:22

Have you tried in the actual preferences for your music software, your more likely to have luck that way.

Oh and...what kind of mic is it?

And what kind of out put does it have?

If it's just a jack input of course it's not gonna appear as a physical thing plugged into your pc, its gonna come under the laptop's internal soundcard system if you get me?

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-10 12:10:14

If you pick up something like this it'll save you the hassle of using your computer's built in hardware.

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-10 12:46:18

okay, finally found a solution!, which was to pull the 1/8 jack out of the mic socket ever so slightly because some jacks dont quite match up the the soundcard port or whatever, cheers for the help guys anyways

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-10 14:03:34

I bet it was mono in a stereo adapter....

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-10 15:43:01

At 4/10/10 02:03 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: I bet it was mono in a stereo adapter....

could be something along those lines, both the mic jack and 1/4 to 1/8 adapter only have one black ring around them, which i thought means theyre both mono? duno...

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-14 03:28:22

dumbass, i looked into it again last night and realised after listening to a recording it was just using the bloody inbuilt mic...
i installed the 'high definition audio device' driver last night and now it recognises the external mic is plugged in! though it still doesnt work... and yeah, i made sure the mic volume wasnt muted and i turned it up all the way. any other suggestions?

is it a question of trying to find decent up to date audio drivers? or just messing with the ones ive already got until something works?

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-14 05:41:55

I think it's still a case of the adapter you're using, you need to plug it in with something the same size (1/4 jack into a 1/4 jack hole) cause as stated before you're probably taking a stereo signal and trying to push it through a smaller mono device. You either need to invest in

a) That mic mate thing, that will convert you're mic into a usb signal
b) A usb mic
c) An outboard sound card that has capabilities for mics to be plugged in, because they're also gonna need a preamp anyway, otherwise you're not gonna be getting much sound out of them. This is what i use. And if you ever invest in a condenser mic it also has phantom power.

And once again the pc wont recognise that the mic is plugged in as it's not sending any kind of digital signal to your computer telling it it's a device, only usb mics do that. Any kind of signal your pc WOULD recieve from the mic would be via your pc's soundcard.

Hope this helps a little bit, it's quite badly worded...by brain got ahead of my fingers and i've just woken up lol.

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-14 06:13:15

it helps, thanks, it most likely is the tiny adapter plug, heres a pic to show you the 1/4 inch mic plug and the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, im not sure if it is stereo or mono. im going to try the mic and adapter through my multi fx pedal in a minute because that works fine with the laptop

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-14 06:36:38

Yeah, i use one of those, i suggest buying a new one, theese are cheap so i dont think you loose that much money on it.

BBS Signature

Response to external mic doesnt work on laptop 2010-04-14 07:21:14

At 4/14/10 06:36 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Yeah, i use one of those, i suggest buying a new one, theese are cheap so i dont think you loose that much money on it.

it was like 3 bucks so yeah, ill invest in various cheap ones with mono and stereo, see what works, and get a decent type