00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

3d Advice

621 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

3d Advice 2010-03-14 13:34:51

Hey guys,

For the last 3 months I've been teaching myself how to use 3ds Max. I've gotten to the point where I can remake a range of static objects. (Examples below, Check my latest art for the full versions in better quality)

I would appreciate any critique. Whenever I look at these models I know that SOMETHING is missing. I just can't put my finger on it.

Thanks in advance

3d Advice

SlimBean

Response to 3d Advice 2010-03-14 14:05:26

At 3/14/10 01:34 PM, Slim-Bean wrote: Hey guys,

For the last 3 months I've been teaching myself how to use 3ds Max. I've gotten to the point where I can remake a range of static objects. (Examples below, Check my latest art for the full versions in better quality)

I would appreciate any critique. Whenever I look at these models I know that SOMETHING is missing. I just can't put my finger on it.

Thanks in advance

The models are OK, a little boxy looking but OK...the renders are just bad. Put a plain under the model and use a skylight.

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to 3d Advice 2010-03-14 14:09:41

At 3/14/10 02:05 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote:
The models are OK, a little boxy looking but OK...the renders are just bad. Put a plain under the model and use a skylight.

Oh yeah! click cast shadows on the skylight too.

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to 3d Advice 2010-03-14 17:37:17

yes, your models are quite alright, but you need lighting and shadows.
Remember the basics of lighting
~Key light: A spot light or a directional light will take care of this. Be sure to check Cast shadows on this one.
~Back Light: another spot light or an omni can do this. Some times you will want cast shadows on this one, some times you won't
~Fill light: this can be accomplished by a skylight or an omni light, the omni will save render time. Do not check cast shadows on this one.

Also use light tracer settings, it looks better than just normal shadows. it's under Render>Advanced lighting> Light tracer

good luck, I would like to see more 3d from you

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Advice 2010-03-14 19:35:18

Cheers guys,

To be honest I've barely touched lighting. But following your advice I can already see massive improvement.

I'll probably keep working on the headset lighting over tomorrow evening. With any luck I'll have a half-decent render.

Thanks again, will post when its more polished.

SlimBean

Response to 3d Advice 2010-03-15 14:26:30

Been a slow day at the office, was able to read up on lighting techniques as well as re-visit a few video demonstrations.

This is probably the best render I've gotten. Using Omni lights for the back and fill.
My key-light is a directional-light (I seemed to get a better result than with the spot-light). Had lots of fun messing around with the settings, it took about 2 hours of tweaking to get it where it is.

I can tell I still have much to learn, any additional critiques would be most welcome :)

3d Advice

SlimBean