00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Short Story Battles v2

7,194 Views | 138 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 22:46:13

This is the NEW Short Story Battles Thread. In order to make this more successful and friendly, this will be an entirely new project and we're hoping that this will be completely official and will also be as agreeable by the userbase as possible.

All participating users and scores will be chronicled here: http://shortstorybattles.newgrounds.com/

If you want to participate, merely post in this thread saying you would like to participate. That is all you have to do.

These are the current rules in place. Sorry about the length, I felt that it encompasses most of the problems that would arise otherwise. It mostly comes down to common sense though, this is mainly just the 'fine print.' here are the rules:

1. In order to distinguish this from the "SSb's" ( http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1145 500 ) this will be managed by ATLEAST two people at a time. Me and Dubbi have talked about this and we've kind of decided on ourselves in the interim, but that's totally subject to change; if you wish to take part in the SSB's for running them, you may ask. If all of the active moderators agree you'll make a good addition we will add you to the list.
1.b If you don't like how things are run you may post your complaints in the main SSB thread and they will be looked over.
2. If you choose to sign up for our Short Story Battles V2 thread you will be put with an ever growing group of writers, and you are free to pick and choose who you want to challenge or accept challenges from.
2.b. If you want to be taken off the list, pm one of us and we will take you off. If you have any wins or losses they will be reset after 3 days in case you change your mind.
3. If you are challenged or challenging someone, you may request a third party (a neutral user) to suggest a topic or we will suggest one for you. You are completely open to challenge whoever you like or deny whoever challenges you. If you don't like the topic, you're also able to rescend your challenge so long as a thread has not been made.
4. If you are challenged you will have two (2) days to accept or deny, or else the challenge is rendered null. One of us will PM you with the challenge for you to consider.
5. If you are challenging someone you must provide the specifics of your challenge if there are any. This includes specific genres you would like, length, or time frame if you have a specific one.
6. For the sake of example, this is about everything there is to the challenges and how it will be posted when Me, Dubbi or whoever is currently moderating the battles post a thread for your challenge:

Prompt: Chosen Prompt, subject, or genre chosen by me or any other third party.
Time Frame: Standard would be 3-5 days for Flash Fiction (500-800 word limit), or 5-10 for short stories (800+ words).
Contestants: The Challenger and person being challenged will be listed here.

6.b Only one of the battle moderators will post the threads in order to keep track of them all.
7. After the contestants have both submitted their entries, voting will take place for 72 hours (Three days). It will also go by EASTERN STANDARD TIME, or the current time at the NG Office. If they are both submitted before the time limit is up, voting will start early.
7b. Even if voting starts early, it will always be over 3 days from when it starts.
7c. If we find any evidence that you're using alts to upvote your stor(y/ies) you will be barred from participation and your score will be reset.
8. If you're voting, please announce the current tally at the bottom of your post.
9. Don't be a dick or distract from the battle at hand. It's alright to chitchat, but try to keep it atleast relevant. It's also alright to criticize as heavily as you feel, but keep it atleast fairly constructive and please don't be mean about it.
9b. If you disagree with criticism, don't slam it back in the other user's face; you may discuss it, but we would like to uphold a peaceful sense of debate rather than needless flaming.
10. If you have any qualms with these rules, please feel free to suggest ways to improve them or the overall experience.

That's all, now HAVE FUN OR ELSE.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 23:03:28

Would I be correct in thinking that the "Short Stories Offs" thread is now irrelevant and/or deleted? If it is so, sign me up for this one. Hopefully this will be a bit more...stable than previous incarnations

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 23:05:51

Great job Ass with the thread! Anyway, so should this battle: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1149 668 be transferred into this thread, or should we just start from scratch?

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 23:07:44

At 3/2/10 11:03 PM, Reptyle wrote: Would I be correct in thinking that the "Short Stories Offs" thread is now irrelevant and/or deleted? If it is so, sign me up for this one. Hopefully this will be a bit more...stable than previous incarnations

It apperes so, short story offs was just meant to be a temporary solution untill Spindrift returned, but since he said his battle thread is done for good, we need a permanent replacement.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 23:09:54

At 3/2/10 11:05 PM, Dubbi wrote: Great job Ass with the thread! Anyway, so should this battle: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1149 668 be transferred into this thread, or should we just start from scratch?

I think that we should start from scratch, however they are free to restart in this thread and if they want to continue it we will make them a new thread under the SSBv2 banner. I would hate it if they got halfway through some great story and then we all just told them it was wasted effort.

Also, I have added Reptyle to the writer's list.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-02 23:58:48

I'm so very glad to see this set up once again! I was afraid that I would have to combined the SSB with the PB in v2 in order to keep both running, but it seems that that will not be needed now. Looks great. I wish you all the luck and I hope to see this pick up where the original SSB left off.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-03 13:21:46

Sign me up!

However, I won't be able to accept any challenges until after April 12th due to previous engagements and a 3-week vacation coming up. If it's easier, you can just leave my name off and I'll sign back up once I'm back from Phoenix.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-03 23:26:45

I want in!

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-03 23:37:51

At 3/3/10 11:26 PM, roseboy wrote: I want in!

In that case, you have yourself a battle, Rosie. Welcome to SSB!

topic please?

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-03 23:54:01

At 3/3/10 11:37 PM, Reptyle wrote:
topic please?

I'm choosing the topic of 'historical fiction'. It's a fairly broad topic to start out with. The only specific guideline for it is that it must take place during a recognisable point in history. Go wild with the fiction part.

If roseboy chooses to accept the challenge, then I will make the topic.

Deadline shall be 1 week from when the thread is made if he accepts.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 01:36:58

At 3/3/10 11:54 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
I'm choosing the topic of 'historical fiction'.

Oh god that's a good one, damn. How do you guys feel about a 3-way battle? :P

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 17:00:09

At 3/4/10 01:36 AM, Version2 wrote: Oh god that's a good one, damn. How do you guys feel about a 3-way battle? :P

I'd like to hold off on 3 way battles and other things that are complicated. They'll most likely happen eventually though. On a sidenote, it doesn't look like roseboy is going to accept his challenge, so if you want to jump on that and challenge Reptyle I doubt it'd be of any consequence. Probably wouldn't give you the same topic though.

Also a couple of ideas I was throwing around:

First one is something of a tournament. MWC's will cull together the best stories in a month or so- sure, but I don't think there's anything necessarily crowning a greatest writer. So I was thinking like 8 people, with four 1 on 1 rounds, and then two more to determine who goes to the finals; the losers of those two rounds would duke it out for third, while the other two battle for first and second. This is just an idea I've had brewing that I was going to suggest to spindrift before he quit on the original ssb's.

Second one is that I was drawing up a list of possible topics and I was throwing around the idea of instead of someone just choosing a topic, they pick a number between, say, 1 and 100 and then they get a number that corresponds to a list of potential topics. I already have a list of topics that I'm going to use for the SSB's when someone needs one, but this just kind of randomizes it.

I don't know, I feel like I'm getting sort of ahead of myself, but on the other hand it does sound like fun to implement both of those ideas.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 17:31:11

Put me on the list of interested parties!

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 18:09:01

At 3/4/10 05:00 PM, Ass-Crumb wrote

On a sidenote, it doesn't look like roseboy is going to accept his challenge, so if you want to jump on that and challenge Reptyle I doubt it'd be of any consequence. Probably wouldn't give you the same topic, though.

If roseboy does not respond, I would be happy to face Version2, or anyone else for that matter. The ideas mentioned by Ass look like great options once there are a few more participants.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 18:55:59

put me on the list if WritersBlock enters. I want to challenge him, but untill then I don't want to be challenged.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 19:27:37

At 3/4/10 06:55 PM, MaliciousAngel wrote: put me on the list if WritersBlock enters. I want to challenge him, but untill then I don't want to be challenged.

If you do end up battling, I have a good idea for a topic. :)

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 22:53:54

So basically just write anything on the topic? Cool, I'm down. Sign me up!

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 22:59:03

Anybody Welcome to challenge me :)

Sig done by LifeStream

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-04 23:06:07

At 3/4/10 10:59 PM, HeroDan wrote: Anybody Welcome to challenge me :)

Ohhhh me! I'll challenge you, lol, I've been dying to write something, but haven't been able to come up with a topic I like!

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 00:37:27

i accept the challenge. Unless im to late.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 01:01:35

Put me on the list.

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 11:54:30

At 3/4/10 11:06 PM, OverlordPein wrote:
Ohhhh me! I'll challenge you, lol, I've been dying to write something, but haven't been able to come up with a topic I like!

The next topic on the list is 'Being a pirate.' You must write a story that has atleast 1 pirate as a central character. Deadline will be the standard 1 week from posting. Any complaints?

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 14:39:18

At 3/5/10 11:54 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
At 3/4/10 11:06 PM, OverlordPein wrote:
The next topic on the list is 'Being a pirate.' You must write a story that has atleast 1 pirate as a central character. Deadline will be the standard 1 week from posting. Any complaints?

Yeah that's great! Thanks, I'm gonna get started right away! Of course if there is no complaints :D

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 15:47:14

Sign me up but could you clarify something for me? Do you pick the subject or is that still up to the challenger?

Its time to play games and jerk off. And Im all out of quarters.

BBS Signature

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-05 16:45:49

At 3/5/10 03:47 PM, TheReno wrote: Sign me up but could you clarify something for me? Do you pick the subject or is that still up to the challenger?

I pick the subject, or if you see a challenge being made you can choose the topic. It will not be up to the challenger or the one being challenged in order to prevent manipulation; it'd be easy for me to say "hey I challenge you to an action story!" and then post a story I've been working on anyway for like three weeks.

Also I'm adding a new rule: if you don't respond to a pm that has been sent to you by a battle mod then you get a strike, and two strikes and you're out. If you sign up, you have ample time to respond to a challenge; if you don't want to, just say no. If you don't respond with a yes or no, then after two strikes you get marked inactive and your win count will be reset. This is just to prevent people from signing up and then ignoring the ssb's. Also if you don't want to be challenged or are unable to respond, please try and send a pm in advance telling whoever is currently in charge that you'll be inactive and you won't be penalized.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-09 17:57:44

First of all, bump.

Secondly, and most importantly, I'm challenging the next person to post in this thread.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-09 18:21:36

I like ponies.

does that mean you're challenging me?

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-09 19:18:08

At 3/9/10 06:21 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: I like ponies.

does that mean you're challenging me?

I'm accepting this as a challenge lololololol.

I'm going to assume you both accept.

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-09 19:29:31

for me, yes

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. - E. Hemingway

Response to Short Story Battles v2 2010-03-09 19:49:46

At 3/9/10 07:29 PM, TheSubject666 wrote: for me, yes

Alright then, making the thread in just a minute.

I'm also making these two announcements:

1. As per the suggestion of Reptyle I'm going to start using the 'official' SSB account now to post the ssb topics. This should make them easier to keep track of.

2. I drew up a list of about 100 topics and I'm using an rng to pick and choose who gets what topic. The topic chosen for yours is was number 78, Insanity.

This is just to give an idea of how far the topics range: They go from incredibly specific (IE: one of them is "being a man who makes, delivers or packages light bulbs", another is "A man who obssesively collects Snapple Bottle-cap facts) then there are broad genres (One of them is "Action story" and another is "Sci-Fi" story, for example.) Then there are styles (One of them is "commercial script", and another is "fanfiction"). Basically it's a pretty diverse list, so I don't think that anyone is necessarily going to come up with a topic that matches something they have prewritten.