00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Scales

1,418 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Scales 2010-01-12 13:29:32

I'm just wondering which scales all NG audio artists use.

I mostly use the Es Major, I just got used to it and I think it 's good for a techno-based song. That said, I also hate all scales that are NOT Major, they sound so freaky... so I just stick to the majors. U?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 13:47:59

At 1/12/10 01:29 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: That said, I also hate all scales that are NOT Major

That's pretty shortsighted. Using only one scale really REALLY limits your music. I'm currently working on a jazz piece that is 3 minutes long and has 18 different scales (I mean 18 scale changes).

Also, there are some scales that sound Major-ish and work well with Major chords, like the Lydian (mode, not scale, I know), Mixolydian (same same but different), Major7, Major pentatonic (Which is used well with the minor pentatonic together)... ect. ect.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 13:48:36

At 1/12/10 01:29 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm just wondering which scales all NG audio artists use.

I mostly use the Es Major, I just got used to it and I think it 's good for a techno-based song. That said, I also hate all scales that are NOT Major, they sound so freaky... so I just stick to the majors. U?

Thats funny you say minor scales sound freaky because in the world of drum n bass and dubstep we would never even contemplate using a major. My favorite is A minor because its all white keys and im noob like that.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 14:14:34

E minor

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 14:33:02

As a guitarist I usually write songs in C Major, E major, D Minor or D# major. Occasionally I'll slip into a Chromatic scale. However to be honest, I don't think about the scale when I'm writing, or in review or If I'm stuck. Don't be afraid to jump outside of the scales, or switch keys, it will make your music more dynamic or interesting to the listener. Here a song where i went from D Minor for the Verse to D Major for the Chorus, it really makes a punch.

<a>http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/liste n/297423

s

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 14:34:52

At 1/12/10 01:47 PM, thecoreman wrote: That's pretty shortsighted. Using only one scale really REALLY limits your music.

I said I MOSTLY use Es Major, not always (to be honest, I'm now trying to change scales).

And yes, since Es Major and Fis Minor are basically the same, I also use Minors :P

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 14:36:08

At 1/12/10 02:34 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: And yes, since Es Major and Fis Minor are basically the same, I also use Minors :P

Forgive me, that 's totally wrong. I meant that Es Major and C MINOR are basically the same...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 15:10:24

I mostly use the Es Major, I just got used to it and I think it 's good for a techno-based song. That said, I also hate all scales that are NOT Major, they sound so freaky... so I just stick to the majors.

I'm sorry if I come off as a prick but this is just so musically ignorant. A scale is a tool, its a color. This is like saying I only use blue.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 15:17:23

At 1/12/10 03:10 PM, Death2Whity wrote: I'm sorry if I come off as a prick but this is just so musically ignorant. A scale is a tool, its a color. This is like saying I only use blue.

Pay more attention to reading ALL posts. I said I mostly use Es Major and that I'm now trying to change that.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 15:36:00

I use mostly Em, Bm with sevenstrings, but a lot of others too. Sometimes I like to use exotic scales like phrygian dominant. I also sometimes write chromatic stuff. I have one riff that works well to improvise to in a chromatic scale, it's fun because you don't have to think about which notes to use.

There's 10 kinds of people.

Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 16:59:11

I like(d) to use minor scales a lot. It sounds kinda cool.

But I have found a liking for some mixolydian (sp?) scales.

Who's your warden, baby?

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 17:43:00

E minor because it's the most fitting default position for my fingers on my keyboard (due to FL Studio), but I also use D minor, D major, G major, and really any other necessary fitting scale. Why limit yourself? Also, to person who said about dubstep (I don't remember), that is the truest statement there is. Imagine a happy (major scale) dubstep? It just hurts me to think about it.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 17:58:34

If I'm working on the guitar, I mostly stay in A or E. I don't actually know keys, but I do know some scale patterns on the guitar and piano. My favorite on guitar is the Aeolian scale. If I wanna change keys for whatever reason, I'll use the capo, record it, and then play along on piano to work out the actual scale. It's sort of roundabout.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 17:59:55

Hmm, I use anything I really feel like.

Major
Minor
Dorian
Lydian
Phryigan
Mixolydian
Lydian-Dominant
Mixolydian-Flat 6
Phrygian Dominant
Harmonic Major
Harmonic Minor
Arabic
Dorian Flat 2nd
Harijoshi
Kumoi
Pentatonic
Blues Scale
Whole-Half
Whole Tone
Indian Pentatonic

Just to name a few I'd use every now and again!

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 19:04:53

'what scale do you use' is kind of a non-question if you ask me.

It's like asking a mechanic what his favorite size of wrench is.

Response to Scales 2010-01-12 21:17:08

Why worry what scale it's in? Just worry about the song your making, then notice what the scale might be. =3

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 01:45:16

I've always been more of a minor scale person. My favorite on the piano is Dm, while on the guitar I do all kinds of minor pentatonics.
I would like to do more scales, but my fingers are just so used to them pentatonics. It's a habit that's hard to break.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 01:52:58

I prefer minor scales (mostly harmonic minor) and usually refuse to write in major scales (just because they don't fit the overall theme of my work). I'm still learning how to apply modes. The keys I usually stick with are: D minor, G minor, and C minor.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 03:51:11

At 1/12/10 05:59 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: Hmm, I use anything I really feel like.
Arabic

Somehow I very much doubt that, for it is hardly a scale but a complete other tonal system (17-tone if I remember correctly, as opposed to the western 12-tonal system)

I personally don't have any specific scales I write my melodies in. Mostly because I haven't learned any theory on the subject of scales. I just do what 'feels' right.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 05:34:53

At 1/13/10 01:45 AM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: I've always been more of a minor scale person. My favorite on the piano is Dm, while on the guitar I do all kinds of minor pentatonics.
I would like to do more scales, but my fingers are just so used to them pentatonics. It's a habit that's hard to break.

Best way to break that habit is to practice more scales (lol). Trust me I used to be the same way. I just practiced for hours until I was able to just switch out of it.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 06:50:59

I use whatever key I haven't used recently :P

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 10:07:21

When I aim at composing in a minor, it comes out way too emo and sad, when I aim at composing in a major, it's extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) happy, and when I just compose what I feel like without aiming for a major or minor, it has a boring melody. I'd post examples related to what I said, but some people out there would call it advertising and flame me to hell :(.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 10:52:31

At 1/13/10 10:07 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: When I aim at composing in a minor, it comes out way too emo and sad, when I aim at composing in a major, it's extremely (and I mean EXTREMELY) happy, and when I just compose what I feel like without aiming for a major or minor, it has a boring melody. I'd post examples related to what I said, but some people out there would call it advertising and flame me to hell :(.

Well it depends on what minor scale you use. If you want to write something that sounds evil, try using harmonic minor.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 13:24:19

At 1/12/10 09:17 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Why worry what scale it's in? Just worry about the song your making, then notice what the scale might be. =3

Yeah but some people like to think about the scale they are going to use before they make a track.

It's just about all the different "techniques" or "Methods" that someone uses to make music

:)

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 14:36:13

I'd say I use C# Major cause it's really happy,
A Major just cause C#+D rocks, C Minor cause of that catchy bass: C C G# A#...
And sometimes G# Major, that's good for trance.
But usually I just start writing and figure the scale after I write the first notes, or pick a random scale and start writing.

Response to Scales 2010-01-13 19:39:37

At 1/13/10 03:51 AM, la-yinn wrote:
At 1/12/10 05:59 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: Hmm, I use anything I really feel like.
Arabic
Somehow I very much doubt that, for it is hardly a scale but a complete other tonal system (17-tone if I remember correctly, as opposed to the western 12-tonal system)

I personally don't have any specific scales I write my melodies in. Mostly because I haven't learned any theory on the subject of scales. I just do what 'feels' right.

It's just the scale name I learnt for a scale for Phrygian Dominant with a Major 7th.
In A it's A, B Flat, C#, D, E ,F ,G# A

I'm not referring to the eastearn microtonal systems, you cant really do them justice on a western fretted instrument!!