00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Twist Contest!

1,251 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 16:45:05

Alright! This is my first contest, so I hope that this goes well!

The objective is simple; you will be given a MIDI of the melody and chords of a song (written by me). All you have to do is remix it! Sound simple? Well, there's a catch!

It has to be in a different style than my original version!

What?!?!

That's right! A different style, that means that the genre can be the same, or different! But the STYLE needs to be different.

But that's not all! It also needs a different interpretation as well!

That is right! I have interpreted the song in one manner, but what if you looked at it this way, or that way? Oh, and try to interpret the song in a manner that is not related to my original interpretation. For example, the song is originally about darkness, so don't make a song about light. You can, but you won't get as high of a score.

Oh, one more thing again! Don't limit yourself to just using the melody provided. Heck, it doesn't even need to be used as the melody! You can use it as a background or counter-melody or whatever! Just use the provided melody and add in your own style and melodies!

Okay, so that is the basics of the contest, now for the juicy stuff. Below are the links for the original interpretation here on Newgrounds, and one for the MIDI and a copy of the judging sheet. That's right; you get to see the judging criteria to make sure you understand everything.

So, here are the links

Dunkelheit (original song)

MIDI and Judging Sheet

Now for the deadlines. The latest that you can apply for this contest is August 25th, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
The deadline for posting the song is one week later, September 1st, 2009 at 11:59 PM. The judging will then commence the day later and the results should be announced by September 8th, 2009.

When applying, please just say so below and post here once you have submitted your song.

If you have any questions, just ask below.

Good luck to all!

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Throughout her lullaby we wishes to say goodbye, but she can only say goodnight.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 16:55:28

Uhh... sounds like you're just ripping off Nathan's Contest

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 17:09:15

Huh, i thought you were going to start the ''Sinful'' contest?
This is a quote from you from the ''I Swear it's true'' thread (page 2. Yes, my memory is just that good :P):

Oh, and just so you know, I will be starting the "Sinful" contest when this one is over.

Now all i want to know is, what is the ''Sinful'' contest? And why did you change your mind and created this contest instead? Because like gregaaron said, it looks like you're ripping Nathan's contest.

BBS Signature

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 17:11:37

At 7/23/09 04:55 PM, gregaaron89 wrote: Uhh... sounds like you're just ripping off Nathan's Contest

isn't nathan's geared specifically towards orchestration?

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 17:20:05

At 7/23/09 05:11 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 7/23/09 04:55 PM, gregaaron89 wrote: Uhh... sounds like you're just ripping off Nathan's Contest
isn't nathan's geared specifically towards orchestration?

Yeah but it seems to me like he saw Nathan's contest, thought, 'oh, that sounds like a good idea I want to do something like that!' and then just started one just like it, but with some minor differences so he could claim he wasn't ripping him off. I apologize if you never even saw the other one though and this is purely your idea. Whatever the case there's not much point it 2 very similar contests at one time, when one is hosted by an Audio mod with co production/mastering by a pro producer (Nathan) as a prize for the winner, and possibly store credit . I'm just sayin'...

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 17:22:08

At 7/23/09 05:20 PM, gregaaron89 wrote: Yeah but it seems to me like he saw Nathan's contest, thought, 'oh, that sounds like a good idea I want to do something like that!' and then just started one just like it, but with some minor differences so he could claim he wasn't ripping him off.

But, nathan's is focused on orchestral works.

This one is not. That's a big fucking difference.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 17:32:35

nathan's contest is open to any and all styles

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 18:07:11

At 7/23/09 05:32 PM, vanguard182 wrote: nathan's contest is open to any and all styles

Then yeah, there's no reason to enter this one.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 18:09:40

Yeah, this contest has too much going on...check out my contest!! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 18:26:31

When I enter a contest and see "HEY! COME AND TAKE MY SONG AND EDIT IT! FOR NO PARTICULAR REWARD!" sounds like shameless not-so-subtle promotion.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 19:17:21

woah woah woah, what?!?!?

Okay, first of all, I haven't seen this type of contest before. I hosestly don't know nathan or that he did a contest like this.

Also, as for the Sinful contest, trouble came up in the developing of it and I didn't like how it was going to turn out, but it looks like I'm just gonna have to try getting around that again.

And as for the angry guy, if you don't like it, sorry. And it isn't the whole song, just using a small lick from the entire thing, that's all. The melody given is only eight bars, consider that.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what to do now.

OH WAIT!!! Is Nathan DJ Nate?

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Throughout her lullaby we wishes to say goodbye, but she can only say goodnight.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 19:22:05

Sorry for the double post.

I just realized the link for Nathan's contest. It looks like no one is going to participate in this contest, so I think that I am going to go back to the Sinful Contest idea.

I wish I had seen Nathan's contest sooner. Sorry about all of this!

<PS>

The Last Lullaby

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 19:29:09

Hm, well this conest is slightly differnent than mine though. Especially the rules and idea.

For instance, you have an entire song, chords and all. And your asking someone to create it into a different style. Mine is providing a melody, and that's it. There is no style to begin with, people have to choose their own (I've gotten some unique stuff too)

But if you want to hold off on this, you can always come back to it later.

Btw, my contest is suppling $30 store credit. It's guaranteed now.

Response to Twist Contest! 2009-07-23 20:07:24

At 7/23/09 07:29 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Hm, well this conest is slightly differnent than mine though. Especially the rules and idea.

I'm gald that at least one person noticed that!

But if you want to hold off on this, you can always come back to it later.

I just might.

<PS>

The Last Lullaby