00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Song question

822 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Song question 2009-07-09 22:46:34

I made a track, but I'm not sure if I should post it, and here's why:

It is my work, but only to a certain extent. I put together music from both batman movies to create the ultimate battle track, and I want to know:

Can I post music that is compiled of other tracks that I edited and put together to make it sound better, even though it's not from a music creator?

Thanks!

-W-

Response to Song question 2009-07-09 22:49:38

Nope. Everything you put up is supposed to be all your own work, or use samples that you are legally allowed to use (like royalty-free samples). Using what you described would be breaking the rules because it is made up of only copyrighten samples.

Response to Song question 2009-07-09 22:51:35

Thanks. Do you have any one specific program I could use that's an audio creator that I can download free?

Response to Song question 2009-07-09 23:01:05

Well if you wanted to, you could use Reaper for free. The demo version has all the features and saves your work and everything, but I'm sure the people who made the program would like people who find the program useful would like you to pay $60 for the license. I usually link people to this tutorial for Reaper, but the link doesn't seem to be working. :(

I'm not too sure what else there really is for freeware though.

Response to Song question 2009-07-09 23:03:48

At 7/9/09 10:51 PM, WreckageRulez wrote: Thanks. Do you have any one specific program I could use that's an audio creator that I can download free?

Ah... I'm sure you can find something fairly easily if you search it online... someone will probably even post a link to something within a very short time of my post here, too. But I would warn you: pretty much anything of that nature is going to be dangerously low-tech and low-quality. There are very few people who would be able to make decent audio with them.

As much as it hurts, you're far better off with something you give a bit of cash for. Most of the people on NG seem to use FL studio because it's relatively cheap and is capable of some fantastic stuff in the right hands. If you don't have the budget, then... well, as I said, someone will probably post a link very soon, if they haven't already done so while I've been writing this.

Good luck all the same - and good on you for actually asking before posting. Most people just post anyways and complain later.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature

Response to Song question 2009-07-09 23:49:58

At 7/9/09 10:49 PM, New-Milkman wrote: Nope. Everything you put up is supposed to be all your own work, or use samples that you are legally allowed to use (like royalty-free samples). Using what you described would be breaking the rules because it is made up of only copyrighten samples.

Uh actually, if you make a song with "free use" loops, it will not be accepted either. Gluing together premade melody loops to make a "song" isn't original. Regardless of license. Your best to stay away from those for your first submission to newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Song question 2009-07-10 00:35:14

At 7/9/09 11:49 PM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote:
At 7/9/09 10:49 PM, New-Milkman wrote: Nope. Everything you put up is supposed to be all your own work, or use samples that you are legally allowed to use (like royalty-free samples). Using what you described would be breaking the rules because it is made up of only copyrighten samples.
Uh actually, if you make a song with "free use" loops, it will not be accepted either. Gluing together premade melody loops to make a "song" isn't original. Regardless of license. Your best to stay away from those for your first submission to newgrounds.

Well, if you were to use a drum loop (royalty-free) or something and sliced it up with a slicer VSTi, that should be ok, considering that's what a lot of people do. Same with finding and using single samples of a kick drum and stuff, and adding effects or whatever to make it sound better for your song. But yeah, I think I know what you're getting at: putting loops together in a sequence is not good at all.

Response to Song question 2009-07-10 07:21:12

What do all you people strongly believe in sampling shit anyway??? I mean call me oldschool here but shouldnt making music be YOUR OWN SHIT... I mean to me thats how music is made.. through your feelings and personal emotions... you cant do that with someone elses work.. yeah i can understand remixing someones song with your own personal taste.. but sampling the original sound and everything?? to me thats just plain stealing because honestly it takes hardly any skill to steal a waveform...granted if with remixing songs your stealing it but atleast your attempting to make it sound different as if you had created the song itself... Why dont we just stop sampling and write our own music??

Everytime i come to these audio forums... this is all the topics i see is Is This Illegal... Is this Allowed?? if you wrote your own shit then you wouldnt have to ask these question... for those of you who like to sample and shit like that just post your songs on myspace or some shit and link people on newgrounds... if they are interested then they will listen to it

Response to Song question 2009-07-10 13:59:47

At 7/10/09 07:21 AM, Mushroomhead18nc wrote: What do all you people strongly believe in sampling shit anyway??? I mean call me oldschool here but shouldnt making music be YOUR OWN SHIT... I mean to me thats how music is made.. through your feelings and personal emotions... you cant do that with someone elses work.. yeah i can understand remixing someones song with your own personal taste.. but sampling the original sound and everything?? to me thats just plain stealing because honestly it takes hardly any skill to steal a waveform...granted if with remixing songs your stealing it but atleast your attempting to make it sound different as if you had created the song itself... Why dont we just stop sampling and write our own music??

Everytime i come to these audio forums... this is all the topics i see is Is This Illegal... Is this Allowed?? if you wrote your own shit then you wouldnt have to ask these question... for those of you who like to sample and shit like that just post your songs on myspace or some shit and link people on newgrounds... if they are interested then they will listen to it

I don't sample music personally because it just isn't my style. But I don't see why there is so much hate against it like this. I understand why you can't submit anything like it to NGs, and that makes sense due to the licensing. But really, sampling has really helped the music industry a lot, and isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Sampling can be very cool. I know a guy who samples stuff from everywhere, and then mangles them to absolutely nothing. And example, he took vocal recordings and edited them down to make a very good sounding drum kit. Granted he is an extreme case, whereas most sampling is people borrowing rhythms and slicing them up a bit. But still, it isn't something to get so worked up over.

At least this guy had the decency to ask first. He could be like those annoying nooblets who post their song, and when it doesn't make it past their first submission "trial" comes here and posts a ranting ignorant thread about how it isn't fair.

Deep breaths my friend. Deeeeeep breaths. :-P

-Gravey-

BBS Signature