00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should I have to ground my synths?

1,015 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Today I hooked up headphones to my 808 for the first time, and i noticed a shit ton of static and popping. This dose not happen when plugged in to a computer, and when i touched the metal on the out side of the case, i got little shocks and i slid my finger,

So i grounded it by taping some speaker wire to the case and then taped it to a vent,

all is fine with the 808, so i figure i would try it with my nord wave. SAME THING.

i ground it and all is fine,

is it normal for synths not connected to a computer ( computer acting as a ground i guess) to behave this way? I have not had any problems like this before, and i am wondering if this is common practice.

I Stopped A Rape!!!

" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature

Response to Should I have to ground my synths? 2009-07-02 05:44:28

My W-30 gives me the odd zap from time to time.

Response to Should I have to ground my synths? 2009-07-02 10:42:59

you mean an TR808 or the MC808? I would hope you mean the TR808.

I have a 909, and i havent been shocked by it yet. Thats definitely strange.

Response to Should I have to ground my synths? 2009-07-02 10:51:42

Sounds like that thing isn't isolated from the case properly if you get shocks from it.

I'm just wondering why there is no ground connection in the standard power supply cable.

Response to Should I have to ground my synths? 2009-07-02 13:58:37

At 7/2/09 10:51 AM, MICHhimself wrote: Sounds like that thing isn't isolated from the case properly if you get shocks from it.

seriously, this could actually be a safety issue if the case isn't already grounded.

I'm just wondering why there is no ground connection in the standard power supply cable.

It's weird how often things that SHOULD have a ground don't. kind of arbitrary.