00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Linking two computers together?

1,469 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 18:45:27

Where do I start? Well....

I have two computers, one a laptop and one a desktop. The laptop is actually more powerful and can handle more of a processing load than the desktop can, but the desktop is easier to use and more reliable. My problem is this: I want to link both computers together so that I can start two instances of FL Studio on both computers and work with both computers through one input. I hope to be able to rewire one instance of FL from one computer to the FL on the other computer, but I'm at a loss how to do this.

Now I do have some options that I want to try out. The first option is the Remote Desktop function that both computers have (since they both run the same OS). Now I can connect both computers through either an ethernet cable or a wireless network that they both have, although I'm currently having trouble with the ethernet connection that I have to work out first. Do you think this would work?

My backup plan is just to share the browser files on my desktop instance of FL and load them on the other laptop, although I'll lose the easier interface that my desktop has.

Is there another way to do this? I appreciate all the help you guys can offer.

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 20:57:17

Never mind, remote desktop worked to a point, at least. I'm still testing it out, I want to try the shortened window approach and see if I can link the two instances of FL together, but in case that doesn't work, I'll use my backup plan.

The sound quality is already pretty troubling....

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 21:34:25

im not very good at it but cant you just sync midi clocks? so they will both do the same things at the same time?

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 21:51:22

Use your laptop for FL hosting wise, then use your other computer as a slave to process all the extra syths/samples.

You'd want a lightpipe interface for audio, and MIDI via network. Possibly using FX Teleport.

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 22:01:34

At 6/30/09 09:51 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Use your laptop for FL hosting wise, then use your other computer as a slave to process all the extra syths/samples.

You'd want a lightpipe interface for audio, and MIDI via network. Possibly using FX Teleport.

How do I turn one computer into a "slave" processor? This remote desktop doesn't seem to be working out too well at all. I'm encountering a lot of problems with it.

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 22:28:14

Your simpliest, although expensive solution is to get a new computer. Get a quad core and a copy of Vista 64 bit (Windows 7 when it comes out) and make a RAID configuration for your disk drive. You'll never had processing issues again (I have a similar configuration, buying a new computer bankrupted me though)

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-06-30 22:58:49

As nathanallenpinard mentioned, FX Teleport is probably the best way to go. You can link your computers via ethernet and the plugins on your laptop can be used as if they were local to your desktop.

Response to Linking two computers together? 2009-07-03 04:01:17

At 6/30/09 10:28 PM, brokendeck wrote: Your simpliest, although expensive solution is to get a new computer. Get a quad core and a copy of Vista 64 bit (Windows 7 when it comes out) and make a RAID configuration for your disk drive. You'll never had processing issues again (I have a similar configuration, buying a new computer bankrupted me though)

If he uses heavy samples, one 8 core machine will eventually top out hard drive/firewire bus wise.