00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

White Screen Before Preloader

4,130 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-26 23:42:11

So I'm getting the classic white screen before my preloader that stays till 80%, and I've triple checked that all the "Export in first frame" boxes were unchecked. There shouldn't be anything but the loading bar on/before frame one, but it still insists on loading practically the whole game there. I'm really at a loss with this.

Does anyone have ideas on what I can check for?

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 01:09:28

oooohhh... this problem really sucks. on the first frame try putting somthing like
"loading the preloader lolz"
have that be the only thing in the entire frame. then it will move on to the preloader frame when thats done

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 01:48:27

It's due to all of your library items loading before the pre-loader. Check your library and right click your items. All of them will say "export on first frame" or something along those lines. Unless you have a VERY graphical game (lots of large file sized images) you can fix this problem very easily. Audio is generally the bulk of your file size, so follow these steps to fix the issue.

First, click on all of your audio in the library and uncheck the box that says export on first frame.

Second, make sure you have at least 1 frame after your preloader that has nothing on it, if you don't, make it so that your pre-loader doesn't just play, but goes to a specific frame upon fully loading or the user pressing the play button, you can adjust this in a minute.

next, at the end of your movie, create a bunch of blank frames. The first of these blank frames is where your pre-loader should send the movie once loading is complete.

After this frame, drag and drop all of your audio onto the timeline on the following frames, make multiple layers if you must, just make sure all your audio is on the frames, or within a movieclip on the one of these frames. Make sure your movie goes from the first blank frame, to a frame after it, then back to the beginning of the movie, you must SKIP over the frame with all the audio.

After these frames, have the movie go back to where your movie begins as normal.

This works because you don't load the audio at first, making your preloader show up right off. It then loads everything but audio, and your pre-loader sends it to a frame right before the audio, then skips over the audio, forcing flash to load the audio on the skipped frames. It then loads it (you may see a delay here, so having "loading audio assets" text on screen is a good practice.

That may be a bit confusing, but simply put, your just skipping over audio on frames and forcing flash to load it, later. It does it later rather than at first because you unchecked the export on first frame button. This works wonders, try it out.

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 09:38:08

At 6/27/09 01:48 AM, Matt-Porter wrote: It's due to all of your library items loading before the pre-loader. Check your library and right click your items. All of them will say "export on first frame" or something along those lines.

Nah, he said that he made sure that was not the case, and a quick glance at his submissions tells me that he probably didn't mess that up.

My only guess atm is that the game is so small that the contents of the first frame actually does take up 80% of the game size, doesn't sound very likely though.

Are you using the bandwidth profiler (could be buggy), or have you uploaded it somewhere?

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 10:14:23

why don't you put the preloader on the first frame??
also if this is whats happening when you put stuff on newgrounds, its totally normal.
if its happening when you test it on your computer, then thats normal aswell, i think

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 10:24:10

Yeah, I hate this. The game I'm working on does this, too.

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 11:39:04

The only time I've ever encountered "the white screen of death", is when I've tried to do something overly ambitious with my pre-loader.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 12:20:05

Flash has a 'Generate size report' in the settings. If you can't be bothered messing around with Flash you could make a quick preloader with Flex and embed the Flash-made app after it.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-27 22:59:49

At 6/27/09 12:20 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: Flash has a 'Generate size report' in the settings. If you can't be bothered messing around with Flash you could make a quick preloader with Flex and embed the Flash-made app after it.

I looked at the size report and it said around 80% of the content is loading on frame 1, which is to be expected from the results I'm getting, but it doesn't make sense. I tried it online and it does the same thing as the simulated DL, so I don't think it's buggy. I thought it might be that I was creating sounds in my document class, so I moved those to a different function and called it after the first frame, but it's still doing it... :/

I might just try the flex idea. That'll still make a single file, right? I DLed flash develop and the flex framework a while ago but I haven't done anything with it yet...

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 04:19:27

Aye I was thinking something like this http://www.flexer.info/2008/02/07/very-f irst-flex-preloader-customization/
You only need two simple classes.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 06:50:08

Hmmm. Well that'll work for now, but I don't think I could integrate the flashads into that.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 06:59:06

Of course you can. Anything pure code like Mochiads engines you can use directly, anything for Flash you can embed.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 07:09:44

I'm pretty sure that unless you're importing external files like music then hat shouldn't happen... have you tried going into the publishing settings and changing the export frame to a frame other than the first?

bork bork bork

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 08:31:27

At 6/28/09 07:09 AM, crapatflash wrote: I'm pretty sure that unless you're importing external files like music then hat shouldn't happen... have you tried going into the publishing settings and changing the export frame to a frame other than the first?

I tried this, and it starts at about 20% now, so that's an improvement, but it won't recognize any of my library symbols now. -_-

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 08:50:52

Well, I remmed out all of my code were it makes a "new SoundNameHere" and the loader works fine. But this code is in a function that isn't called until frame 5. I also tried putting the code on an actual frame, but still no luck. I quadruple checked that all of my sounds are not exporting on frame 1. It just doesn't make sense...

D:<

The flex loader is an option, but I'd really like to figure out what's wrong with this thing. It should be so simple.

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2009-06-28 09:42:09

TRIPLE POST ZOMG!!

I figured it out.

I was using the stop event on all of the sounds (so they wouldn't play, obviously), and this was making it so they weren't forcing the load on that frame like I wanted them to. I changed it to an event, moved them to frame 2 of my dump movieclip, and put a stop on frame 1 of that movieclip. Now the preloader starts at 0. :D

BBS Signature

Response to White Screen Before Preloader 2011-05-31 02:20:51

At 6/26/09 11:42 PM, Kajenx wrote: So I'm getting the classic white screen before my preloader that stays till 80%, and I've triple checked that all the "Export in first frame" boxes were unchecked. There shouldn't be anything but the loading bar on/before frame one, but it still insists on loading practically the whole game there. I'm really at a loss with this.

Does anyone have ideas on what I can check for?

Go to publish settings->flash tab->click the settings button next to Actionscript-> change the export classes frame from 1 to 2. This is what worked for me.