00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Recording Microphones.

920 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Audio Recording Microphones. 2009-05-11 12:26:34

Although the topic title says i have no idea what these are called, im looking for a Microphone of sorts, to be able to record Guitar. i Play:

Punk - Rock - and a few Jazzy pieces, Also some Ambient Slow Songs.

I mainly create my own Music, but I'm wondering of a way to record I'm using my phone but the Quality Sucks!

Any Ideas? You can hear me playing Shite here

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Clan | Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Recording Microphones. 2009-05-11 12:58:23

There were several threads about audio recording microphones, still, were none about video recording microphones or audio player microphones :p

enough fooling around

Well, try to look on several explanations about microphones. Here you go with some links, read:
- Online Guide Large Diaphragm Microphones
- Online Guide Small Diaphragm Mics
- Online Guide Stage Vocal Mics
- Online Guide Ribbon Microphones

First before you buy something, you should make up your mind WHAT you want to record, what style, and where.
If you want to record voice, electric or acoustic guitars, if you have a quiet room or not...
For voice you can have good results with Shure SM58 (dynamic mic) or some condensers (from Snowball to T-Bone or Oktava). If you want to record electric guitar from amp, a Shure SM57 is the classic, but also a condenser will do the job, for acoustic guitar you should try a condenser or a ribbon. Keep in mind that condensers and ribbons are VERY sensitive gear, NO BLOWING IN THEM, no wind, some ribbons can be damaged even by opening the door too fast (and furious).
For beginning I would go with a Shure SM57, a robust and versatile microphone, good for electric guitars, drums, percussions, backing vocal, brass, some people got good results for acoustic guitars and some people use it in studios also for lead voice (Lenny Kravitz).

Some more readings HERE

Response to Audio Recording Microphones. 2009-05-11 13:24:58

Cheers Man.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Clan | Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Recording Microphones. 2009-05-12 18:28:45

Also.

Read about, and experiment with, placement. Where you place the mic (and even where the amp is in the room) will have a HUGE effect on the tone you achieve. Almost as much (or possibly more) than the mic you use.