00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not?

7,915 Views | 68 Replies

Hey everyone.
NG alpha has been down for ages now and i really want to advertise a new game I'm creating.

Since I cant do it there i though i might as well post here and ask what people would think of it.

I'm creating a Dragonball z game. there are absolutely no good dbz games on NG and i thought it was time that at least one make it up there. cause the best game on dbz here is totally garbage, you only get to play as one character and they dont do much at all. I've been working on it for a while now and i have to say it's freaking awesome.
I know a lot of people dont like dbz posts but im a huge fan of dbz and i cant get enough of it, though of course the live action movie makes my physically sick. lol.
My dbz game is a fighting game, so you take controll of your character fly around and beat the shit out of your opponent. Its super fast pace action that is almost completely free of bugs.

Heres an example of what its like.

ok so you get to be goku and your up against vegeta (saiyan saga). Your power level is 9000 and vegeta's is 18000. vegeta is fuckin tough, its so hard to do damage cause your power level is half of his. but then you use kaioken and suddenly, boom, your at 13500. but thats not enough. kaioken X2! and now your at 18000. but theres still a problem, kaioken drains your hp so you cant sustain it for long. Fuck it, Kaioken x3. now your at 27000 and beating the living shit of vegeta. though your hp is getting low and vegeta is still standing. oh what the hell you only live once, Kaioken x 4 and go to 36000. getting pretty exhausted now time to wrap this up. kaioken x 4 Kamahameha!

this is 100% possible in the game. you can fight close combat, use ki blasts, power up, fly, teleport, self destruct, kaioken (goku only), go super saiyan (saiyans only), tag team battles with up to 10 allies, destroy the background, and use super powered energy blasts.
have power levels from 600 to over 100 million.

The completed version will have over 40 characters from DBZ and story mode will cover the saiyan saga all the way to the kid buu saga.
such characters include
Goku (all the way to super saiyan 3), not 4 cause im not doing gt
Vegeta (ss2)
gohan(teen and adult ss2 and mystic)
piccolo
trunks
goten
frieza
cell (all forms)
dabura
nappa
majin buu (all but evil buu)
raditz
saibaman
ginyu force (all five of them)
king cold
vegetto
gotenks (ss and ss3)

and the rest of them that appear throughout the series. (and maybe some from a movie or two. (cough cough, brolly)

Let me know what you guys think, cause im putting so much effort into it and ive been spending countless hours into it and ive only half way done the saiyan saga so far. though the battle system is done.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 11:41:24

So, do you have an alpha to show? If so upload it on spamtheweb.net

And don't forget to include an over 9000 joke, y'know to piss everyone off and stuff....

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 11:46:01

lol, yeah the over 9000 thing is already in there. but its not really there as a joke.

i can make an alpha fairly quickly. probably just have the goku vegeta fight cause that was the one i put in the most effort in. kaioken was hard to implement.

the whole point of me putting this post though is to know whether people even still like dbz. cause i rarely see and flash work of it. its possible to do so much with the series and theres nothing. lol.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 11:53:12

id play it, although Im not a huge db fan, the whole thing just confuses the hell out of me alot of the time. but sounds like it could be a fun game, Id like to see a demo.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 12:02:44

At 4/8/09 11:46 AM, Agramon wrote: the whole point of me putting this post though is to know whether people even still like dbz. cause i rarely see and flash work of it. its possible to do so much with the series and theres nothing. lol.

Yeah, it's still liked, but not greatly, maybe your little game is what people need to re-ignite the fire

Marvel vs Capcom x Konami - Super Flash Rotoscope Remix :: Coming Soon

BBS Signature

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 12:03:56

I'd play it if the gameplay is as good as the GBA version where the characters could fly about. I forgot the name. But from your description, it's gonna be pretty kick as$

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 12:13:29

At 4/8/09 12:03 PM, josh-tamugaia wrote: I'd play it if the gameplay is as good as the GBA version where the characters could fly about. I forgot the name. But from your description, it's gonna be pretty kick as$

ive actually got the sprites from that game. and yes, its gonna be like that. except with power levels and more ways to get a massive upper hand, or a massive disadvantage. everything depends on the power level and skill of the player.

hope you like the screen shot. i can do another if you want. theres loads of characters, moves, and backgrounds.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 13:06:24

At 4/8/09 12:13 PM, Agramon wrote:
hope you like the screen shot. i can do another if you want. theres loads of characters, moves, and backgrounds.

Ah it's Ok. The screenshot looks awesome. It will be a damn fine game!

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 13:10:30

is there anything specific anyone would want to see in this kind of game?

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 16:20:10

I support you in this, it looks good :)

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 16:21:57

At 4/8/09 01:10 PM, Agramon wrote: is there anything specific anyone would want to see in this kind of game?

Just make it as crazy, wild and fast paced as you can. And don't forget good ol' spirit bomb that destroys the background with it (i.e. changing the background into something ruined and stuff)

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 20:26:40

I think the game is going to look pretty cool. Any specific DBZ game you're planning to base this game off of? I'd prefer DBZ Budokai 3 or Infinite World but with more air control. Looks fantastic though and I can't wait to see a demo.

Its not based off any game. It's based off what the cartoon is like. Im trying to keep it faithful to the original series. It will follow the story from raditz to kid buu and will have all the z fighters as playable characters (even chiaotzu and adroid 16, even goku in ginyu's body lol) and will include all the enemies they encountered (except for cui, pui pui, and yakon). its going to be a tag team battle system, which means you have a team of up to 10, and you can switch between them at any time. and if one gets defeated the next in line jumps into play. and that goes the same for enemies.
for example the battle with the saibamen. You have; Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, Chiaotzu, Piccolo, and kid gohan to use. and your up against 6 saibamen that have power levels of 1200 each.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 21:12:10

heres an updated screenshot.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-08 22:29:33

At 4/8/09 09:12 PM, Agramon wrote: heres an updated screenshot.

I see you touched up the health bar :P do that for the other things under it too.

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 00:44:21

I'm probably the biggest DBZ fan on this site, I own every episode on DVD.

Anyway, a DBZ game would be awesome, all the DBZ flash games I've played suck balls so let's hope yours will make me happy.

Here are some things I'd love to see in a DBZ game:

- Ultimate attacks, an attack that does a shit load of damage but can only be used once and can only be used in a certain situation. For examply, Special Beam Cannon requires 10 seconds of charging, Super Ghost Kamikaze attack can only be used near the end of a fight unless in SS3, as you know gotenks didn't use the SGKA until he had done all his moves, to trick Buu.

- Kill attacks, A cool way to finish your opponent, it can only be used when your enemy is on low health and needs a lot of ki, for example: Frieza, Death Beam, Piccolo: Special beam cannon, Chiaoutzu (or however you spell it): Self destruct etc, moves that are used in the series to kill the opponent.

- Epic hand to hand combat. Kinda like Burst Limit, don't make it classic arcade fighting like Mortal Kombat or something, I hate those games where all you do is smack them a few times then do it again, make long complicated combos, having the chance to block, dodge, teleport behind or away from them, do a little ki shield, etc, so you can end up being in a 20 second fist fight without using a ki attack.

- In game chat, for example while you're fighting as Goku against Vegeta and your power level hits 9,001 or more, it will freeze and show Vegeta saying "IT'S OVER 9000" or in a tag fight with Goku and Krillin is killed by Frieza it will show Goku getting all angry and turning Super Saiyan then continue the fight. Just random events will cause little in game speeches.

Go suck a fat one.

BBS Signature

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 01:38:30

At 4/9/09 12:44 AM, GODISNOWHERE wrote: I'm probably the biggest DBZ fan on this site, I own every episode on DVD.

Anyway, a DBZ game would be awesome, all the DBZ flash games I've played suck balls so let's hope yours will make me happy.

Here are some things I'd love to see in a DBZ game:

- Ultimate attacks, an attack that does a shit load of damage but can only be used once and can only be used in a certain situation. For examply, Special Beam Cannon requires 10 seconds of charging, Super Ghost Kamikaze attack can only be used near the end of a fight unless in SS3, as you know gotenks didn't use the SGKA until he had done all his moves, to trick Buu.

- Kill attacks, A cool way to finish your opponent, it can only be used when your enemy is on low health and needs a lot of ki, for example: Frieza, Death Beam, Piccolo: Special beam cannon, Chiaoutzu (or however you spell it): Self destruct etc, moves that are used in the series to kill the opponent.

- Epic hand to hand combat. Kinda like Burst Limit, don't make it classic arcade fighting like Mortal Kombat or something, I hate those games where all you do is smack them a few times then do it again, make long complicated combos, having the chance to block, dodge, teleport behind or away from them, do a little ki shield, etc, so you can end up being in a 20 second fist fight without using a ki attack.

- In game chat, for example while you're fighting as Goku against Vegeta and your power level hits 9,001 or more, it will freeze and show Vegeta saying "IT'S OVER 9000" or in a tag fight with Goku and Krillin is killed by Frieza it will show Goku getting all angry and turning Super Saiyan then continue the fight. Just random events will cause little in game speeches.

now thats the kinda info i wanted to hear. Luckily most of the things you've written are already implemented. There are epic attacks that can only be used once or in special situation. There is in battle talking. there is epic fighting, though the combos are easier to do than burst limit, you just mash the keys. lol. yeah i hate the whole, one punch then move closer then do a kick. this is punch punch punch kick kick punch smash them across the screen type fighting. you can teleport away or into combat. if things are getting to close to handle you can exert an energy ball from you that thrusts your opponent away, also not that if you hold this down for too long, you hp will drain. but the ball keeps getting bigger. you can engulf the whole screen with it if you hold it long enough, though it will probably kill you to do it. (Majin vegeta vs fat buu) lol.

But yeah, keep up the ideas. im totally gonna cram as much into this as possible. im also a huge fan and ive got all the dvd's too.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 01:47:28

i could really see this game being one of the best flash games on newgrounds.. hell, what you could do is talk to tom fulp or someone about making it for xbox live that would be HELLA tight.. a dragonball z flash game on your 360, id pay for that

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 02:15:48

i would totally play this game! i remember sitting around after class watching DBZ with my friends before we busted out the Halo. It was always good times.

I really like your screenshots too. it is coming along very nicely. i also would like to see a demo if at all possible. And you should pretty up the other power bars at the top of the screen.

And Xbox live play....dbz.....chat during the long cutscenes.......OMG Yes!

Classic Snake Gameplay with a Fusion of 4-20 Fun! Play it now!

BBS Signature

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 03:50:44

I love the idea and think that even though it is not completed you should still post it on newgrounds and just add (DEMO) to the end of your game title. I think you can even attract more attention if you add medals/achievements that you can win in it (like on portal defenders). It may just be voted best of the month if it attracts enough attention and you could win $250. I think it is well worth it. I would also like to know where you learned to make such a game or just some tutorials if at all possible plz!

Deleted account.

Please delete this account, not having a delete button in this day and age is just stupid.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 03:54:01

At 4/9/09 02:15 AM, fallinfrog wrote: i would totally play this game! i remember sitting around after class watching DBZ with my friends before we busted out the Halo. It was always good times.

I really like your screenshots too. it is coming along very nicely. i also would like to see a demo if at all possible. And you should pretty up the other power bars at the top of the screen.

And Xbox live play....dbz.....chat during the long cutscenes.......OMG Yes!

that is a totally awesome idea! The Demo is almost ready though. I'm thinking about putting it in as a submission.

also if anyone wants to chat to me personally with ideas or anything at all my email is nathan_helder@hotmail.com

add me on msn too. I'm totally loving all this feedback. its gonna help me make the totally best dbz game for flash ever! I'll post another screen shot later tonight.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 03:56:43

also if anyone wants to chat to me personally with ideas or anything at all my email is nathan_helder@hotmail.com

add me on msn too. I'm totally loving all this feedback. its gonna help me make the totally best dbz game for flash ever! I'll post another screen shot later tonight.

sorry there was a typo,
email is

nathanhelder@hotmail.com

no underscore. lol

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 10:42:35

heres another screenshot for you all. ss3 goku vs kid buu. let me know what you think.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 10:43:41

forget the attachment. whops.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 19:02:03

At 4/9/09 06:33 PM, EJRProductions wrote:
At 4/9/09 10:43 AM, Agramon wrote: forget the attachment. whops.
Still looks pretty awesome. How many characters will we be able to play as in the demo? Also, will there be an action-packed story mode?

I'm thinking the demo will just be the Saiyan Saga.

Here are the battles for it:

1. Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz
2. Gohan vs Piccolo (traning)
3. Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Piccolo, Gohan vs 6 Saibamen
4. Tien, Chiaotzu, Krillin, Piccolo, Gohan vs Nappa (yamcha is dead, nappa has much high power level)
5. Gohan vs Nappa (gohan enranged)
6. Goku vs Nappa
7. Goku vs Vegeta
8. Gohan, Krillin vs Vegeta (vegeta weakened post big ape)

Trying to put as many battles as possible in. as you can see nearly all the characters are available. sorry, no yajirobe. i dont think anyone will mind.

So far I've completed about 25 of the 40ish characters. theres still a couple of bugs in the AI and battle system. and i havent coded that much of story mode yet.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 23:37:10

adding onto my xbox live idea, what you SHOULD do is make the demo for newgrounds, and talk to tom fulp or someone at microsoft about making a full feature version and selling it makin money off of it. now im not sayign to sell out im just saying i think this has the possibility to be the next castle crashers or alien hominid..

but yeah. demo version doesnt need this, but if you do make a full version and sell it, you NEED to have multiplayer. Like either make it so the 2nd player just plays as the computer player every fight there is and if first player is good enough to beat him the story advances..

or maybe a tag team kinda thing, where whichever player is out at the time presses a button and they replace the current player with a combo attack (like in dead or alive).

ONLY problems you would run into are the amount of work this will take, and copywright claims. now im no lawyer but i think if you had newgrounds sponsor this game and put it under their name with you as the head developer and director, then youd be able to afford to buy the rights to sell this game on xbox live.

That is JUST a theory though, right now your MAIN focus should be getting ideas right now to add to the demo and if everyone likes it, then take it from there. But im pretty sure everyone will love it

Oh and last but not least, the one thing i want to stress is try not to set unrealistic deadlines for yourself, take your time, take everyone shit if anyones a dick to you about releasing it sooner, and make it the best it can be.

If i think of any really good ideas ill post more, but for now, good luck!

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 23:49:30

ok i thought of a few ideas already

1) if you want to make it more RPG like, you can integrate items that add to their stats (like in budokai tenchaichi) and leveling to learn new abilities. (now some abilities will only be available in certain parts of the story i know)

2) if you want it more an arcade fighter, make like combos and special NORMAL moves other than ki blasts, like high speed rush like in dbz budokai tenkaichi

or.. combine both! it would be a very immersive experience, an rpg fighter.

3) im not sure how your doing kamehamehas yet but you should make it so you have to press 2 buttons really fast.. (in sequence) OR.. make it so you have to press opposite buttons on keyboard, then press closer and closer and get farther away again.. maybe to complicated but yeah just an idea

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-09 23:54:38

OH thought of another idea

for a high speed rush move, the way it could trigger is you press the attack button really fast, then slide your finger across that row on the keyboard.. so lets say u press A like 4 or 5 times, then slide it across and hit S D F G H J K L

i dont know if youd be able to do that but its worth a shot!

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-10 02:13:57

At 4/9/09 11:54 PM, JKG1069 wrote: OH thought of another idea

for a high speed rush move, the way it could trigger is you press the attack button really fast, then slide your finger across that row on the keyboard.. so lets say u press A like 4 or 5 times, then slide it across and hit S D F G H J K L

i dont know if youd be able to do that but its worth a shot!

I'm not sure that is a good idea. But it's a unique idea though. And hard to make.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-10 08:21:38

At 4/9/09 11:49 PM, JKG1069 wrote: ok i thought of a few ideas already

1) if you want to make it more RPG like, you can integrate items that add to their stats (like in budokai tenchaichi) and leveling to learn new abilities. (now some abilities will only be available in certain parts of the story i know)

2) if you want it more an arcade fighter, make like combos and special NORMAL moves other than ki blasts, like high speed rush like in dbz budokai tenkaichi

or.. combine both! it would be a very immersive experience, an rpg fighter.

3) im not sure how your doing kamehamehas yet but you should make it so you have to press 2 buttons really fast.. (in sequence) OR.. make it so you have to press opposite buttons on keyboard, then press closer and closer and get farther away again.. maybe to complicated but yeah just an idea

Hey, I'm really liking the input your giving me. It's helping out a lot. I've gotten so much positive response from this post and its really great. I am taking my time to do this properly, I havent set a release date yet or anything but you can be sure that when it finally pops onto NG portal it will be something special. I refuse to have any bugs and the gameplay must be flawless.

I'm making this as an arcade type fighting system. so all you need to do is beat the victory conditions eg. Goku vs Vegeta, get vegeta down to power level 12500.

I am going to put in a type of intense rush combo attack. I havent started on it yet but what im thinking is that if the player and enemy attack eachother with close combat at the same time then it will trigger what im going to call clash mode. Both fighters will stay close to each other and throw punches and kicks like crazy. the winner will do a large amount of damage to the opponent and blast them across the screen.

I'm trying to making the fighting controls as simple as possible as there will be a lot of moves. most of the attacks will be a one key press. The kamehameha works differently though, its like the budokai tenkaichi games. you hold down power up button (eg. Q) and if you have enough Ki then you also press the ki blast key (eg.Z) and hold down z to increase the kamehameha's size and power. upon release the blast shoots out and deals huge damage if hit.

also im making the hand to hand combat a little differently than normal. im making a complete combo accessible with one key press. for example, if you want to do punch combo attack all you do is get close to the enemy and press (S) and your character will throw a couple of punches and a finisher which, if struck, will send the opponent flying. this will eliminate difficult to perform combos.

The whole point of this game is not to have moves that are difficult to perform but enemies that are smart and difficult to beat even with you best moves at your disposal. There are still going to be fancy attacks and stuff but they arent going to be difficult to perform as the enemy will do them easily as well, as it is built into the ai.

Strategy, anticipation and pure power will be the keys to victory in Dragonball Z: Ultimate Arena (working title)

Let me know what you guys think as im open to suggestion and criticism.

Response to Good DBZ flash game. wanted or not? 2009-04-10 09:03:20

I think the whole one button = full combo is a bad idea. It leaves no room for making awesome combos and leaves you with only 2 combos to use making it VERY dull.

I've been talking with Nathan on msn and he has sent me a mini demo, it's not very good but gives you an idea on what's happening.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/110409/3 754_DBZ_Ultimate_Arena_demo.php

So tell us what you think.

Go suck a fat one.

BBS Signature