00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anybody know what genre this is?

1,356 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:17:06

I found this very awesome song from a Crash 2 pre-release trailer, and I'm wondering what genre of music it is. I want to find more music like it, cause this rocks.

Link.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:35:41

I would say that it has more in common with fusion jazz than DnB... That's just me though

I still hate you

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:37:25

At 3/19/09 07:27 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: Sounds like Jungle Drum'n'bass, combined with some house characteristics.

In otherwords, it's techno.

Lolno. Confusing DnB with Techno is like confusing peanut butter with regular butter. Sure they may look a little alike, but they're very different.

I'm saying that to your "it's techno part."

Otherwise the DnB + House sounds pretty good. I was just wondering if there's a specific name of the genre. It's a little bit slow paced to sound like it's DnB.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:39:46

At 3/19/09 07:35 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
I still hate you

:(

At 3/19/09 07:35 PM, LJCoffee wrote: I would say that it has more in common with fusion jazz than DnB... That's just me though

I would say that sounds a little more likely. I'll go check out some fussion jazz.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:40:28

At 3/19/09 07:37 PM, putzpie wrote: Otherwise the DnB + House sounds pretty good

I swear to gawd - i must be taking crazy pills...
Maybe I looked at the wrong link but I don't know how anyone can say that sounds anything like DnB...

Wow... I must be really really out of touch. I would have never said DnB... wow...

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:41:31

At 3/19/09 07:40 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:37 PM, putzpie wrote: Otherwise the DnB + House sounds pretty good
I swear to gawd - i must be taking crazy pills...
Maybe I looked at the wrong link but I don't know how anyone can say that sounds anything like DnB...

Wow... I must be really really out of touch. I would have never said DnB... wow...

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that, but yes I must agree >_>.

I think I meant to say something else, but my mind was on DnB.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:42:05

At 3/19/09 07:39 PM, putzpie wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:35 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
I still hate you
(

Heh... sorry for the DP - putzpie, the "I still hate you" wasn't meant at you... :D I was only teasing wtflolnoob - it was from another topic...

I don't really hate him though...

yes I do :P

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:46:26

Video Game Music, or Background Music. It's tough and sometimes useless to categorize songs that aren't meant to fit snugly into a genre.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:46:55

At 3/19/09 07:44 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: Lol, I meant to generalize. The truth is, I don't think it conforms to its own genre, but like I said has a few queues from house and DnB.

yeah - I can see where "house" came from... It just seemed waaaaay too laid back and also that steady 4x4 wouldn't have had me saying DnB...

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-19 19:49:01

At 3/19/09 07:44 PM, wtflolnoob wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:37 PM, putzpie wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:27 PM, wtflolnoob wrote: Sounds like Jungle Drum'n'bass, combined with some house characteristics.

Lolno. Confusing DnB with Techno is like confusing peanut butter with regular butter. Sure they may look a little alike, but they're very different.

Otherwise the DnB + House sounds pretty good. I was just wondering if there's a specific name of the genre. It's a little bit slow paced to sound like it's DnB.
Lol, I meant to generalize. The truth is, I don't think it conforms to its own genre, but like I said has a few queues from house and DnB.

So... Yeah...

Thing is that techno is far less consentrated on drums, and is generally more... I don't know >_>. I don't really listen to techno.

I generally listen to Liquid Drum and Bass, if that means anything...

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 00:08:40

At 3/19/09 07:49 PM, putzpie wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:44 PM, wtflolnoob wrote:
At 3/19/09 07:37 PM, putzpie wrote:

Lol, I meant to generalize. The truth is, I don't think it conforms to its own genre, but like I said has a few queues from house and DnB.

So... Yeah...
Thing is that techno is far less consentrated on drums, and is generally more... I don't know >_>. I don't really listen to techno.

I generally listen to Liquid Drum and Bass, if that means anything...

Yer, it sounds like slowed-down Liquid DnB. Good stuff. Has lots of phasers in it :P

Liquid DnB is the best if done right tho. would like some NG audio artists to come up with some, that'd be sweet.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 01:23:39

At 3/21/09 12:08 AM, Rave4Yourself wrote: Liquid DnB ...

Please link me to an example of what you would consider "Liquid DnB"
- I suspect that there is a semantic disconnect here...

I've seen people refer to this or that sub-genre as different things before and I just want to be clear as to what you're talking about.

I'd appreciate your help pointing me in the right direction here.

thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 02:22:36

Breakbeat or House, one or the other.

I'm baffled by how you guys pulled DnB out of this....it's far, FAR away from it

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 06:03:19

It's not drum and bass,this is drum and bass,

I'd say it's house.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 09:47:40

At 3/21/09 02:22 AM, TheComet wrote: I'm baffled by how you guys pulled DnB out of this....it's far, FAR away from it
At 3/21/09 06:03 AM, Jimbobsthebest wrote: It's not drum and bass...

Right?... that's what I've been screaming... Then, there's this "liquid dnb" nonsense... I really want a link to whatever it is that those guys think is DnB.

I suspect though, that I will not get one...

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 10:36:19

At 3/21/09 09:47 AM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 3/21/09 02:22 AM, TheComet wrote: I'm baffled by how you guys pulled DnB out of this....it's far, FAR away from it
Right?... that's what I've been screaming... Then, there's this "liquid dnb" nonsense... I really want a link to whatever it is that those guys think is DnB.

There is such a sub genre and it's essentially drum and bass beats with a flowing and usually softer bassline.

I guess this would be in the liquid drum and bass category.

But yeah, I agree. I don't know how people got drum and bass out of this. I think 'DnB' is becoming the new 'Techno' for any electronic music.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 13:50:50

At 3/21/09 10:36 AM, Jimbobsthebest wrote:
At 3/21/09 09:47 AM, LJCoffee wrote:

There is such a sub genre and it's essentially drum and bass beats with a flowing and usually softer bassline.

I guess this would be in the liquid drum and bass category.

But yeah, I agree. I don't know how people got drum and bass out of this. I think 'DnB' is becoming the new 'Techno' for any electronic music.

Actually, my bad. It sounds more like Liquid Funk, which is pretty much more chill dnb.

And dang guys, DnB. Drum and Bass. If it has drums, and bass, then its dnb i would assume lol.

But yea, liquid funk, i think, is dnb but with a waaaaaaay more chill sound, while still having really fast drums+percussion to keep it from sounding TOO chill and still have a drive to it.

Tbh i dont know the diff myself too well, but it is what it is.

I'd say for that Crash video, slowed down Liquid Funk would be your best bet - imo.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 16:36:05

Haha, where's Nav when you need him?

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 16:57:46

That's definitely emo-core with a splash of doom metal

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-21 23:09:47

At 3/21/09 04:57 PM, SineRider wrote: That's definitely emo-core with a splash of doom metal

I'd say more post party intellectual chillout fused with a bit of african mambo funk.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-22 13:57:19

At 3/21/09 11:09 PM, Jimbobsthebest wrote:
At 3/21/09 04:57 PM, SineRider wrote: That's definitely emo-core with a splash of doom metal
I'd say more post party intellectual chillout fused with a bit of african mambo funk.

Lol, thats just dandy

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-22 15:49:01

At 3/21/09 11:09 PM, Jimbobsthebest wrote:

by african, I think you mean northeastern sudanic cluster- which I guess is pretty much the same thing, but other than that, you pretty much hit the nail on the head my accurate genre classifying sir.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-22 15:50:57

Sounds like deep house to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-22 22:43:51

At 3/22/09 03:50 PM, BlueKoalaClock wrote: Sounds like deep house to me.

If im not mistaken, house always has a four-on-the-floor beat.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-23 12:19:51

At 3/22/09 10:43 PM, Rave4Yourself wrote:
At 3/22/09 03:50 PM, BlueKoalaClock wrote: Sounds like deep house to me.
If im not mistaken, house always has a four-on-the-floor beat.

Always is a very universal word mate. I'm guessing there are a few house track which don't stick to the 'four-on-the-floor' beat. Although that said, you could be right. Maybe one of the definitions of house is that is sticks to four 'on-beat' beats per bar.

Either way, if we're going sub genres I think deep house is probably the best call.

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-23 12:25:49

I think Deep House nailed it on the hammer, while yeah alot of tracks use the 404 kicker, I've heard some with a more breakbeatesque drum pattern that still felt like house

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-23 22:18:59

its video game music (VG) it is a real genra

Response to Anybody know what genre this is? 2009-03-24 00:32:39

At 3/19/09 07:17 PM, putzpie wrote: I found this very awesome song from a Crash 2 pre-release trailer, and I'm wondering what genre of music it is. I want to find more music like it, cause this rocks.

Link.

emo-post-neo-punk-rock-fusion

duh