00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HAST3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,789,515 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 15:12:13

At 12/6/12 01:35 PM, jarrydn wrote: im more and more considering giving ableton a proper go.

yeah man you should. i'm still using FL for production but Ableton lets ideas flow in quite an interesting way when you're not so inspired. also, playing live using Ableton is really cool. here's a great example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPRJIx_EfE
the only 'bad' thing is you need to spend a lot of time adjusting your tracks, but it really pays off in the end. you can jump from track to track very very easily and make mashups on the fly and stuff like that
now let's wait for someone to bash the sync function

The Audio Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 17:25:50

Meh. Abletons work flow is rather slow unless you're using controllers. It's got a tiny little screen for adding midi notes thats an eyesore to use and you cant adapt it for intelligent use across multiple screens. A few simple GUI edits and It would be the shit. I got a chance to talk to a rep from ableton at my work and he said their focus is more on implementing live and controller functionality rather than adapting it to a wider typology of musicians. That got me pretty turned off from it.

I will say though, if you are look to make dance music with a controller and DJ, then its perfect as fuck.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 20:05:27

Why does my work ethic suck ass? :'(

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:15:25

At 12/6/12 08:16 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 12/6/12 08:06 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I don't get why people do this kind of stuff. All they do is assign sounds to buttons and spend a shitload of time practicing the sequence in which they have to press them, only to show off to us.
That's the point! To show off! It looks freakin' sick, the audience on Youtube LOVES it, and I bet it's fun achieving it, even if the sonic result is the same.

I mean, it's like saying, "what's the point of live DJ'ing if you can just map it before the show? Sounds just as good."

Live performance always adds extra brownie points.

I would also like to point out that you can instantly remix your song and make it longer or shorter. It's just full of win.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:17:15

At 12/6/12 08:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: Why does my work ethic suck ass? :'(

Perhaps you don't consider the work you're doing to be important or valuable at all. If you see homework as a chore, you'll treat it like a chore: you'll hate doing it and you'll be unhappy.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:20:33

At 12/6/12 03:12 PM, garlagan wrote:
At 12/6/12 01:35 PM, jarrydn wrote:

I would honestly love to switch from fl to live. I just find the mixer and sequencer to be awkward. I would ofcorse still use fl for the drum sequencing.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:25:14

At 12/6/12 09:17 PM, Nav wrote:
At 12/6/12 08:05 PM, Sequenced wrote: Why does my work ethic suck ass? :'(
Perhaps you don't consider the work you're doing to be important or valuable at all. If you see homework as a chore, you'll treat it like a chore: you'll hate doing it and you'll be unhappy.

that pretty much sums it up.

I want to do well - but homework just pisses me off. I wish I could just learn by going to class and not worrying about tests or homework.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:32:13

At 12/6/12 09:25 PM, Sequenced wrote: I want to do well - but homework just pisses me off. I wish I could just learn by going to class and not worrying about tests or homework.

Spot on.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:47:05

At 12/6/12 09:25 PM, Sequenced wrote: I want to do well - but homework just pisses me off. I wish I could just learn by going to class and not worrying about tests or homework.

See, I'm the opposite. I hate lectures, but I love homework and problem sets and labs. I can't get myself to pay attention in lecture, so I do most of my learning via homework.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:49:54

At 12/6/12 09:46 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 12/6/12 09:32 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
Spot on.
the thing is. if you didn't have to go to class to learn for tests and do homework, would you ACTUALLY go to class?

If I will get an A for showing up every class, yes. Learning shit just for tests is pointless, because you'll forget it later on.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 21:59:10

At 12/6/12 09:49 PM, Sequenced wrote: If I will get an A for showing up every class, yes. Learning shit just for tests is pointless, because you'll forget it later on.

if you are learning stuff just for tests then you are learning wrong

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 22:00:56

At 12/6/12 09:46 PM, Chronamut wrote: the thing is. if you didn't have to go to class to learn for tests and do homework, would you ACTUALLY go to class?

Probably.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 22:44:50

I'm a firm believer in individual learning.

Colleges and University are businesses first and places of learning second.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 22:52:29

At 12/6/12 10:44 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I'm a firm believer in individual learning.

Autodidacticism

this is sadly 100% true. i think learning comes third but, you could probably squeeze "spreaders of bullshit" in the middle

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 23:45:30

At 12/6/12 10:52 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 12/6/12 10:44 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I'm a firm believer in individual learning.
Autodidacticism

this is sadly 100% true. i think learning comes third but, you could probably squeeze "spreaders of bullshit" in the middle

Very true. That is a pretty accurate way to describe my short experience with college. Took my money... took more of my money... try push me into spending more money for "better learning"... and somewhere in the time I was there, I learned a little bit of stuff I'll never use in the real world.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 01:17:28

although admistration may have money on the mind,

most teachers live to teach lol, not the other way around (teach to live)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 03:02:19

does anyone else think school is boring and icky?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 03:09:26

At 12/7/12 03:02 AM, Buoy wrote: does anyone else think school is boring and icky?

yes

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 03:13:40

I've personally dropped off from from college for a full year now, and although I have acquired a fare amount of knowledge on my own, the lack of infrastructure and professional insight has really pulled me back in the past few months and have brought me to give school another go, especially considering the exceptionally good program I am now enrolling in and that I had somehow missed on my first try.

Basically, you should see school as a way to seek advice from very reputable people in the industry instead of an endurance run to acquire an often useless degree (when it comes to music, at least), as well as the perfect occasion to build up your contact list, for these people will most likely be the people you'll be working with for the next few decades, unless you move far away from your school.

That's what I got from it, at the very least, we'll see how it goes when I give it another go starting this January.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 03:40:59

did you know theres other things in university apart from music.......

things that actually earn MONEY.

brain exploding omg

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 05:27:05

At 12/7/12 03:40 AM, jpbear wrote: things that actually earn MONEY.

brain exploding omg

one of my old friends runs a very successful studio

he didn't do an ounce of audio engineering at uni.

he did a business degree.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 11:11:43

At 12/7/12 05:27 AM, jarrydn wrote:

he did a business degree.

I'll probably end up doing a double major... MRT (sound enginerring) and music business.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 12:53:35

At 12/7/12 03:40 AM, jpbear wrote: did you know theres other things in university apart from music.......

things that actually earn MONEY.

Of course. I'm getting a computer science (CS) degree from one of the top CS schools. I'm going to make a fair amount of money, so I hope. Music is a passion, a hobby, and a huge interest, but there's not nearly as much cash in it as there used to be.

Plus I'm not nearly good enough at music to make a living at it. I seem to have the right mental build for programming, though. It comes to me far more easily than many of my peers and also far more easily than other fields (I'm taking 4 courses this semester: 2 CS ones, 1 math course, 1 digital logic/engineering course. Everyone said the math one would be easy and the CS ones would be hard; I have experienced the exact opposite).

I also like having the opportunity to meet other people like me. It's like a bubble of nerd: everyone is reasonably friendly, has odd interests and is generally very smart. Also, living in Pittsburgh is awesome as a record collector. It's unlike any other city in the country when it comes to variety (and size!) of record stores.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 14:31:12

At 12/7/12 11:11 AM, Sequenced wrote: I'll probably end up doing a double major... MRT (sound enginerring) and music business.

I'm in a sound engineering program right now, graduating soon. Jobs are hurtin.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 01:53:22

I fucking love this guy

Al Walser trolls the grammys.

Seriously, I honestly think he should win the internet this year.

He's better than Skrillex at any rate :P

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 02:02:32

At 12/8/12 01:53 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
He's better than Skrillex at any rate :P

ha ha ha ... ha

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 03:32:32

I'm seriously getting pissed off now.

Even when I make the most absolute best quality trance song.. and not have a cheesy build up, I still get no where.

ffs

I love Trance, and all I want is to just experience one of my songs being played in 1000+ venues or shit like that.

why must everything go against the way I would like it to go? and I mean everything....

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 03:40:26

At 12/8/12 03:32 AM, Sequenced wrote: why must everything go against the way I would like it to go? and I mean everything....

Misery loves company. Care to share?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 04:29:20

At 12/8/12 03:32 AM, Sequenced wrote: I'm seriously getting pissed off now.

Even when I make the most absolute best quality trance song

this is subjective

.. and not have a cheesy build up

nothing wrong with cheese, people like cheese

I still get no where.

you need to make lots and sustain your output over the long term. one track isn't going to get you anywhere unless it is exceptionally amazing, and even then the shelf life of music these days is so short that you will be expected to follow it up soon enough.

I love Trance, and all I want is to just experience one of my songs being played in 1000+ venues or shit like that.

you need to make friends with the right people.

why must everything go against the way I would like it to go? and I mean everything....

because the world doesn't really care about what you want.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-08 04:31:13

if you send me the track, and it is as good as you say it is, i can put it into the right hands.