00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whatever happened to Rock?

5,113 Views | 99 Replies

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 00:54:13

At 1/6/09 08:36 PM, TheMaskedJew wrote:
Shitty composition is the stuff where it's a super generic chord progression coupled with an unmemorable lead line and lasts for fucking ever. That's mostly what I'm talking about (Re: Greg Aaron's "Windstorm").

Oh hi. Yes I agree with you there that it is a very simple song. Back then I was still very new to music production. It was my first song using a new program and I was excited at all I could do, I worked too quickly because of this and didn't put my full effort into it. My main goal was to create energy and I think I pulled that aspect off very well. Yet it got frontpage which even at the time I didn't think it deserved, because this is the kind of uninspired shit that gets popular on newgrounds. I can kind of see where you're coming from but there are many many extremely talented artists on this site, electronica included who get overlooked yet are better than most of the popular ones.

When I made that song, pretty much the only electronica I listened to was from this site. In fact my lead line was directly inspired by Cornandbeans' "Rose". I think it's this way with a lot of people here, Newgrounds sort of has it's own style. I started to listen to professional trance music after I decided I wanted more than the stuff I was finding on Newgrounds. What enticed me was the complexity. I doubt you have any idea how complex stuff like progressive trance is. YOU try to make a complex yet minimal sounding groove with unique and exciting abstract sounds that also gets people dancing... good luck.

I've been trying to do trance for months now but I've just been missing the point every time. I feel like I keep failing myself but every attempt has brought me closer. It's the type of music I enjoy and nothing would make me happier than to materialize what I hear in my head. It's as simple as that, just a process of creation. It doesn't matter what genre.

I've become a lot more musically cultured recently, listening to genres such as ambient, downtempo, trance, breakbeat, alternative rock, jazz, and technical metal. Everything I listen to, I take inspiration from. What inspires me about electronica is because it's not like rock music where you will ALWAYS have the same instruments, guitar, bass, drums, vocals. In electronica you CREATE your own instruments and your own sound. I feel I can be more creative through this digital medium.

Take a listen to this track I'm working on. A lot of thought has gone into this track. I'm focusing on what I want my song to "say". Is it working? I don't know. It still needs a lot more until it is done, at this point I would say it is about 25% complete, and I have been working on it for over a week. But the most important thing about this track is, I finally feel like I am finding my own sound, something I have been searching for for a very, very long time. Yes it could be better. But it is progress that gets me closer to my goal. Compare it to Windstorm. Do you notice a difference? Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 07:54:28

At 1/7/09 12:12 AM, EchozAurora wrote: I need to read that as well.. know if it is online anywhere?

No, but then again... Do you really want to read a 4-500 page book online? Just go out and buy it off of Amazon for like 5 dollars.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 08:17:11

I missed the entire show.

Why did I decide to go to bed at 7 pm?!

WHY?!

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 08:50:12

That was a lot of text... and a lot of opinions... and I am NOT going to involve myself into this war... I only want to point out that there is so much more into digital music then most people realize... Yes its different, no the instruments are not *real* as a guitar or a piano, but the basics, the knowledge and the creativity that is needed to *control* those instruments are exactly the same as *real* musicians control their tools.
Yes I agree that the whole proces of recording audio and making music became much more easy to step into then it use to be, I started with FTII and work with FL Studio these days, but to say that *techno* as people prefer to call Boom Boom Boom music is mindless?

That seriously breaks my balls...

I admire almost all kinda genre's of music, and I create more then *techno* only, for the love of God. The core of making music is comin from the heart of the creator. If something should called mindless it should be Commercial Music which you hear in the top40, which is onlyl produced with one thing in mind MONEY. That is heartless and mindless music and you can find that in EVERY genre all over the world.

I use to love those commercial thingies back when I was 14, probably because I was the core of their business and I dreamed of a career making music like that aswell, but then I got older, started to make music myself, realized that...this kinda stuff... is not really creative...

I started upping my music on NG cause this IS the place to find the REAL producers who work from their basements with only a laptop and a headphone. No big studio's, we REALLY have to come up with original shit to stand out of the crowed otherwise we get FLAMED all over the net.
That is the prize to pay... but sometimes magic happens, just like one of my tracks ended up in the top30. It made me so proud, maybe it sounds weird but it did more to me then seeing one of my tracks in the dutch charge.
The main difference is the audience... most of the people over here got a kinda knowledge which flockies dont...

Anyways to make a long story a bit shorter... I hope that the starter of this topic gained a bit of knowledge bout the users and their vision!

lets make 2009 a more then creative year!

Retro never get old!

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 10:53:01

Sorry about the barbed comment Greg Aaron, but your track really does represent a lot of what I dislike about artificially generated music. This new one, however, shows a definite evolution in sound. Basically, what I needed to know is that composers in your genre truly cared and intellectually understood the music you create. I did it in the least friendly way possible and I apologize for that. I'm still not partial to the style, but just to know that thousands of people seriously care about their genre gives me hope for it.

I was initially disturbed at the constant stream of mediocre output from a considerable amount of popular artists on the audio portal, making me think that this music required no forethought and was simply the actions of people who didn't understand it.

I was wrong. You guys are serious and should be respected for your efforts.

Why not?

BBS Signature

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 11:13:32

At 1/6/09 08:46 PM, TheMaskedJew wrote: I'm not. If you would care to read any of my other comments, I'm not exclusively bashing techno, I'm bashing bad music on the Audio Portal in general.

Well considering most people no the audio portal only do music for a hobby or are just starting out, I'd like you to go somewhere to bash the bad music where no one has to read it. Like a news post.

Yes

Too bad your music sounds shit.

Don't you fucking get it! It's no about production, it's about intention.

I'd rather listen to something that has been well produced, rather than well composed. So, no it's not.

Well, I can't argue that because I am you at 14 (you have just entered the twilight zone).

I hate you.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 12:13:31

Hi there.
I'm such a lazy guy these days ... couldn't read all the thread, just some parts ...
Actually as much as I dislike techno and trance and other "unce unce" stuff, I do realize that some good quality stuff is there also, just need some serious searching.
Also rock, metal, jazz, chamber music even (I've heard amazingly good brass quintet here on NG) ... there's so much good music, full of passion, technical skills on instruments, deep ideas ... but those never get too exposed due to our friendly dear zero-bombers.
While they make a shitty "noizkore" loop they get on top and serious musicians that have also a life outside NG get smashed here.

You do realize that for practicing an instrument, reading some books, learning theory takes much time, so good musicians don't have too much time to five-bomb themselves and stuff ...

take a look to my fav list, you'll see there a lot of very original musicians ;)

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 12:24:51

At 1/7/09 12:13 PM, sorohanro wrote: Hi there.
I'm such a lazy guy these days ... couldn't read all the thread, just some parts ...

Then don't respond. You seriously need to know what's going on before posting. The issue has been resolved mostly.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 12:46:29

At 1/7/09 11:13 AM, Ambimetric wrote:
Well considering most people no the audio portal only do music for a hobby or are just starting out, I'd like you to go somewhere to bash the bad music where no one has to read it. Like a news post.

But then my bigoted attitude would have never been changed by the likes of people who responded kindly and intelligently.

Too bad your music sounds shit.

What specifically sounded like shit? In all seriousness, I would like to know. Usually when someone gives a negative review to my music, it's just a vague "you suck" without going any details over why it sucks. I apologize for flame-baiting you.

I'd rather listen to something that has been well produced, rather than well composed. So, no it's not.

Really? You'd rather listen to a Britney Spears album in lieu of Robert Johnson recordings? I guess that's not a fair comparison, but for a composer, that's a rather perplexing statement.

I hate you.

I don't really feel any strong emotions toward you.

Why not?

BBS Signature

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 13:02:19

It's always the same with these "my genre's better" disscussions. Everyone thinks they are right, and everone else is an idiot.

I personally can't stand electronic music, BUT I respect anyone who makes or likes this kind of music or any other that i don't like.

I like music that's played on real Instruments because it requires more skill in my opinion, but I think other genres require different skills and should never be seen as easy. Its always hard to come up with something good.

There's 10 kinds of people.

Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 13:32:49

At 1/7/09 01:02 PM, Zhuriel wrote: It's always the same with these "my genre's better" disscussions. Everyone thinks they are right, and everone else is an idiot.

The art of reading complete threads is lost.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 13:50:43

At 1/7/09 12:24 PM, Nav wrote:
At 1/7/09 12:13 PM, sorohanro wrote: Hi there.
Then don't respond. You seriously need to know what's going on before posting. The issue has been resolved mostly.

Why are you so "nice" to me ? Is that because every time I find some free VST's I post here links ? or because I do the same when I find free drum loops, audio editors ? or because when someone ask me to record a trumpet or fuitar I do it for free, even not asking people to give me credit about ... ?

Well, guess my days on forum are almost over.
(to many people talking rude to me lately on NG)

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 14:41:05

At 1/6/09 09:13 PM, TheMaskedJew wrote: Obviously, musical taste is subjective, but c'mon, you know a shitty song when you hear one.

You've just answered all your questions. And I've seen your reviews in the past; I think you have enough intellect to realize that when it comes to just listening to the song as a function this is all that matters, not how "generic" or technically complex the piece is.

BBS Signature

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 14:47:57

At 1/7/09 02:41 PM, S3C wrote:
At 1/6/09 09:13 PM, TheMaskedJew wrote: Obviously, musical taste is subjective, but c'mon, you know a shitty song when you hear one.
You've just answered all your questions. And I've seen your reviews in the past; I think you have enough intellect to realize that when it comes to just listening to the song as a function this is all that matters, not how "generic" or technically complex the piece is.

But its easier to bash something then to try and change the perspective of how you see/listen to something. Its easier to hate then try to love or at least understand it. Its just human... but by trying to stick with this way of thinking I learned a lot more about music and listen to a wide variaty of different styles. There is no genre in music, or in any kind of creativity at all, that fits all users or that you could even like all at the same time... that is what makes it so beautifull, otherwise it would be plain boring!

Just give it a minute and think about it ;)

Retro never get old!

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 14:57:31

There is a difference between what you just said and telling other people what they should listen to.

BBS Signature

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 15:17:11

At 1/7/09 01:50 PM, sorohanro wrote: Why are you so "nice" to me ? Is that because every time I find some free VST's I post here links ? or because I do the same when I find free drum loops, audio editors ? or because when someone ask me to record a trumpet or fuitar I do it for free, even not asking people to give me credit about ... ?

Huh? This is the first time I remember even posting something in response to you... I have no idea what you're talking about. I like free VSTs and samples, and I appreciate people who post them.

It's not about getting credit, it's about helping people. And I was just pissed since nobody actually read the thread, and they continue to do such.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 15:30:45

C,mon people the guy is not pissed at techno/dance and so on the fight is over! ow stop this!

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 15:45:36

At 1/7/09 03:30 PM, YouriX wrote: C,mon people the guy is not pissed at techno/dance and so on the fight is over! ow stop this!

NEVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 16:13:16

At 1/7/09 03:17 PM, Nav wrote:
At 1/7/09 01:50 PM, sorohanro wrote: Why are you so "nice" to me ? Is that because every time I find some free VST's I post here links ? or because I do the same when I find free drum loops, audio editors ? or because when someone ask me to record a trumpet or fuitar I do it for free, even not asking people to give me credit about ... ?
It's not about getting credit, it's about helping people. And I was just pissed since nobody actually read the thread, and they continue to do such.

Give the man a break, he was expressing his opinion. I was about to as well, but I don't see the point anymore.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 18:02:10

At 1/7/09 12:46 PM, TheMaskedJew wrote: I don't really feel any strong emotions toward you.

I'm jus saying I connect with the production value of the song rather than the emotion shown in the composing, so what you were saying I really can't understand.
E.g. - if I had two songs from my favourite genre, I'm going to listen to the one that is better quality.

However I do see your point, generic chords do get boring after a while, and no one wants to listen to out of key, out of tune anything. You just put across your opinion in a bollocks manner.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 18:38:46

At 1/7/09 03:17 PM, Nav wrote:
Huh? This is the first time I remember even posting something in response to you... I have no idea what you're talking about. I like free VSTs and samples, and I appreciate people who post them.

Actually I was talking about now, not generally speaking ...
Well, I might over reacting ... lately I'm getting shit on forum and piss me off ...

Also after reading a little more I realize that you wrote here half of Wikipedia and when people don't bother to read I guess piss you off ... man, next time we met we have to make a Prozac party, we need to cool down :))

At 1/7/09 04:13 PM, Rig wrote:
Give the man a break, he was expressing his opinion. I was about to as well, but I don't see the point anymore.

eh, Rig, we all seem to over react these days, me first ... and who need my opinion anyway ... so, how's going with CTSG 2 ?
(thanx BTW)

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 22:17:15

At 1/7/09 10:53 AM, TheMaskedJew wrote: Sorry about the barbed comment Greg Aaron, but your track really does represent a lot of what I dislike about artificially generated music. This new one, however, shows a definite evolution in sound. Basically, what I needed to know is that composers in your genre truly cared and intellectually understood the music you create. I did it in the least friendly way possible and I apologize for that. I'm still not partial to the style, but just to know that thousands of people seriously care about their genre gives me hope for it.

Apology accepted, I'm not the type to hold a grudge anyway. Looks like you learned something from this thread.

Btw,this is how complex a professional trance track is O_o Making this stuff is not easy.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 22:56:48

Look yeah, when you write a book on a forum, people aren't going to read it - be concise. Sorohanro, don't get upset when a sociopathic child lashes at you; they can't help it.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-07 23:04:33

At 1/7/09 10:56 PM, TomBanks wrote: Look yeah, when you write a book on a forum, people aren't going to read it - be concise. Sorohanro, don't get upset when a sociopathic child lashes at you; they can't help it.

. . .

I read a 500 page book, and compressed it into a couple of paragraphs. I don't know why people go to other forums, but in general, people go to the audio forum to (a.) learn and to (b.) socialize.

If you want to learn, you have to read. Discouraging it will never help you gain knowledge.

Also, are you seriously calling me a sociopathic child?

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 07:31:17

I repeat my invitation ;)

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 12:46:24

At 1/8/09 10:13 AM, Chronamut wrote: why is it that whenever someone brings up a subject about a genre it turns into childish flaming and bickering? Gorw up guys - and when I have to say that to you people - then you're acting pretty fucking childish.

To be fair. It's going to be like that when the topic starter bashes a genre, or in this case just a large selection of electronic music, for no good reason apart from the fact he doesn't like it.

However, as said on previous page, he seems to have learnt something. Threaddienao?

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 19:34:53

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 19:45:22

I have a bunch of rock songs that i did. MY ROCK SONGS

Just ignore the song Called Dan-Ce its a dance song and the one called old sckool in me beat boxing with a flute accompaniment.

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 19:50:02

At 1/8/09 07:45 PM, Fajita wrote: I have a bunch of rock songs that i did. MY ROCK SONGS

Just ignore the song Called Dan-Ce its a dance song and the one called old sckool in me beat boxing with a flute accompaniment.

Haha
Did you not read the thread, then?

Response to Whatever happened to Rock? 2009-01-08 19:51:09

Okay- this thread now recieves the official Solus Stamp of Forgey Approval.

Let us now derail the topic in any way, shape, or form possible. Because it's better than this retarded flamewar.