00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Recording Drums

1,128 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Recording Drums 2009-01-05 19:06:43

I am thinking about buying a set of microphones for my drumkit and some sort of preamp to process them so I can mix them on my computer. I know the Shure SM57 is a good microphone that I will probably buy. Do you have any other recommendations? I am also considering getting a Presonus Firepod (FP10), but I don't want to if their is a cheaper alternative with similar features. Any suggestions?

Response to Recording Drums 2009-01-05 19:55:07

that sounds good, just try not to spend mlre then 500 bucks on a set of drum mics, there is nothing mixing cant fix :P

well good mixing ,.

I Stopped A Rape!!!

" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature

Response to Recording Drums 2009-01-05 21:50:12

At 1/5/09 07:55 PM, mariomusicmaker1 wrote: that sounds good, just try not to spend mlre then 500 bucks on a set of drum mics, there is nothing mixing cant fix :P

well good mixing ,.

I beg to differ: you can only polish a turd so much before it smears.
Therefore, the better your original recording sounds, the easier it is to get a good mix/song.

Now, as far as mics go, you might want to look into a kit. Something like this.
200 bucks for 7 mics; not a bad deal, and got a good review too.
As far as interfaces go, I have no experience with the Firepod. I will say that unless you have a Firewire port on your computer, it will do you no good.
You might want to look into the Alesis iO26. My dad has one, and it is excellent. Eight simultaneous inputs would allow you to record each mic individually, so you can adjust each mic's volume/EQ/anything at any point after the original recording; no more 'play and pray'.

Hope this helps, and good luck on the search.

I make music.

You can hear my newest track here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/657049