00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Remfy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Gun Control Measure Passed

2,591 Views | 46 Replies

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 17:34:11

At 6/16/07 05:17 PM, TheMason wrote:
It also grandfathered weapons already on the shelves as well as high-capacity magazines manufactured before the ban.

Furthermore, grandfathering is not legislators being lazy. It is a fundamental protection of civilian rights against retroactiver prosecution.

ya but if you pass legislation banning said weapons wouldnt it be a little prudent to try and get rid of all the banned weapons. they could go and take away all the banned weapons. i mean if i made a gun illegal thats what i would do. but the cost and labor would be so high it just didnt peak the gov't's intrest. and dont talk down to me on grandfathering in this case it was laziness.

just stuff like this couldnt hurt. no gun legeslation could hurt. its the lack of it that kills people.
You know, taking away things such as warrents and miranda rights couldn't hurt either, after all its the lack of freedom on the part of law enforcement that allows terrorists to kill people.

You know nothing is safer than fascism. ha. and warrents and miranda rights have nothing to do with the 2nd ammendment. the founding fathers were geniuses. they worded it so carefully it could adapt to changing times. times now= no longer in fear of british retalition.

Please, spare us your superficial logic that has no basis in reality.

i'll try.

alot of useless legeslation gets passed. alot. like i said it can't hurt to have these laws. but try telling the few thousand people that didnt die that it was useless
Laws only apply to those people who are predisposed to follow them. Furthermore, the murder rate is not significantly high enough that we should just throw-out a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

any murder is high enough. if something can be done to slow it, it should be done.

all our lawmakers can do is give them the rules. its an entire different arguement when were talking about enforcing said laws.
No...it is the Liberal solution that when a law is not being enforced to enact new legislation. How about we try giving the existing laws a chance.

i would but there hasn't been an automatic weapon ban since 04.

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 17:40:44

At 6/16/07 05:32 PM, Proteas wrote: And has been shown, it really didn't do anything with regards to truly restricting one's ability to acquire such weapons, which is what I took the word "ban" to mean.

Grandfathering is an issue, but it's one of those things that makes a ban politically possible.
Yet the ban did reduce AR crimes...and traces, too.

Ah yes, because any gun that even remotely looks scary should be regulated until it's no longer funny anymore.

No, as I pointed out, any weapon that makes it very easy to shoot many rounds quickly in tight quarters is dangerous.

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 17:50:53

At 6/16/07 05:40 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote: Grandfathering is an issue, but it's one of those things that makes a ban politically possible.
Yet the ban did reduce AR crimes...and traces, too.

But then by your own admitance, it wasn't a ban. It was a restriction.

And assault weapon crimes were to small in number for this to truly be an issue, as has already been pointed out. So why make such broadsweeping legislation to only effect a minute portion of the population? Where congressional democrats hoping to get a Nobel Peace Prize or something?

No, as I pointed out, any weapon that makes it very easy to shoot many rounds quickly in tight quarters is dangerous.

Then you are double minded in your resolution to solve the problem, because such weapons you describe where still legal under the Assault Weapons Restriction.

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 17:51:11

At 6/16/07 05:28 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote: Besides (going on from what I said in my last post), the AWB covered weapons that weren't previously covered. Restricting magazine size among other things is inherently good for (a.) law enforcement and (b.) citizens...

My friend, high-capacity magazines are used in so few crimes and is very ill-suited for them. They increase the profile of the weapon and decrease concealability...

Besides, detachable magazines (no matter what size) can be exchanged fast enough to compensate for the lower capacity.

Furthermore, high-capacity magazines may actually be better for shooting victims. Look at the Stockton killing where he fired over 110 rounds into a crowded playground. As fast as he was firing he could not take aim nor could he fire accurately because fully or near-fully-auto fire produces too much recoil (or kick) for the shooter to be effective. It is highly probable that if he used a more traditional hunting rifle or shotgun more kids would have been killed or seriously injured.

I mean, seriously, a semi automatic weapon is not something that would be considered a hunting weapon. A semi-automatic rifle in the hands of a criminal or even a regular citizen is a danger to citizens and law enforcement. This is the kind of reasonable, targeted ban that keeps guns off the streets. And why does the percentage of crimes that these are used in matter? It's not important that ARs are only used in a few dozen crimes, it's that by banning them, we save lives.

*bangs head on desk*
1) It is perfectly acceptable as a hunting weapon. To say otherwise simply shows ignorance of the topics of both firearms and hunting. To say this totally blows one's credibility.
2) They are not a danger in the hands of a regular citizen. A Ford Mustang in the hands of a regular citizen iis more of a danger to police and regular citizens than any firearm in the hands of a regular citizen.
3) Yes it is important that they are not used in crimes. Protection offered by other constitutional rights allowed the 9/11 hijackers and Tim McVeigh to kill thousands. Shall we look at erroding those liberties as well? Where is the liberal cries against liberty when it is Bush wire-tapping calls heading out of the country.

And when we look at assault weapons, they're not very sporting. What's the fun in shooting a deer when you can unload a whole clip of ammo on it in a matter of seconds? Where's the sport in shooting the moose when the moose can't see the flash?

There are probably more deer a year killed by AK-47s than human murdered by them (in the US).

In fact, it is the firearm I go deer hunting with. I never have it loaded with more than a 5-rd magazine. This is a simplistic argument that betrays a lack of familiarity/knowledge of the subject and actually errodes your credibility.

I commonly hear the argument that ARs fire big rounds so they should be banned. That's one of the fallacies from the anti-gun crowd that I'm proud to be a member of. The CAR-15, for example, fires a .223 remington. That's not so huge compared to at .30-06 or a .50 caliber. Yet this fallacious argument leads us to a rational point – the CAR-15 is infinitely more useful than a .30-06 or .50 cal hunting rifle when applied for a shooting rampage or murders in close proximity...after all, the CAR-15 can fire more rapidly than a bolt action weapon, can have a much, much larger clip, is shorter and more mobile, etc.

No...you have turned the argument around. The argument is that AR rounds are actually not designed or intended for killing...while hunting rounds are more powerful and by design & intent are made SOLELY for killing.

Comparitively the CAR-15 or AK-47 w/folding stocks are more compact. But not as effective as a handgun or sawed-off shotgun which are the preferred weapon of choice in 99% of crimes involving a firearm.

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...

" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 18:04:49

I originally came across this in a law journal...but as you can tell many pro-gun sites have posted it on their pages!

An interesting look at the racist/anti-poor history of gun-control. Yeah, gun control is VERY progressive:

"The historical record provides compelling evidence that racism underlies gun control laws -- and not in any subtle way. Throughout much of American history, gun control was openly stated as a method for keeping blacks and Hispanics "in their place," and to quiet the racial fears of whites. This paper is intended to provide a brief summary of this unholy alliance of gun control and racism, and to suggest that gun control laws should be regarded as "suspect ideas," analogous to the "suspect classifications" theory of discrimination already part of the American legal system."

"Racist arms laws predate the establishment of the United States. Starting in 1751, the French Black Code required Louisiana colonists to stop any blacks, and if necessary, beat "any black carrying any potential weapon, such as a cane." If a black refused to stop on demand, and was on horseback, the colonist was authorized to "shoot to kill."[1] Slave possession of firearms was a necessity at times in a frontier society, yet laws continued to be passed in an attempt to prohibit slaves or free blacks from possessing firearms, except under very restrictively controlled conditions.[2] Similarly, in the sixteenth century the colony of New Spain, terrified of black slave revolts, prohibited all blacks, free and slave, from carrying arms.[3]"

As for stats here is something I just came across that is interesting (even though it puts the rate of usage of assault weapons at a staggering 4%). What I found interesting in this paragraph was two sentences:

"In the 1991 BJS Survey of State Inmates, about 8% of the inmates reported that they owned a military-type weapon, such as an Uzi, AK-47, AR-15, or M-16. Less than 1% said that they carried such a weapon when they committed the incident for which they were incarcerated. A Virginia inmate survey conducted between November 1992 and May 1993 found similar results: About 10% of the adult inmates reported that they had ever possessed an assault rifle, but none had carried it at the scene of a crime."

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 18:09:14

Had trouble linking to this site:

www.mail-archive.com/firearmsregprof(replace parenthsis w/@ sign)lists.ucla.edu/msg00057.html

Sorry about that!

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 19:12:31

At 6/16/07 05:31 PM, TheMason wrote:

I have a confession. i got those statistics from an anti AWB site. there just was no pro AWB site with statistics. But the fact remains that there was a decline in assualt weapons used in crime. No one in their right mind would go out and by a gun over counter to commit a crime. so i guess what i am supporting is an increase in the federal budget to fight the flow of illegal guns to our streets. i just dont find machine guns practical so i supported the ban on them.

ok ill give you that the majority of crimes involving automatic guns are illegally boughten. but what would it hurt to increase backround checks and limit the availibilty of such weapons. if your an enthuisiest you can wait a couple of days for your gun. and what if we increased the gun trafficing penality. just stuff like this couldnt hurt. no gun legeslation could hurt. its the lack of it that kills people.
1) I think there should be background checks and someone who has ever done time should be denied and someone who has chronic mental illness should be denied.

2) You cannot limit the availability of these guns; if you do fully-autos will flood the black market and become even easier to get than the civilian clones of guns such as the AK-47. Simplistic logic.

3) We do have gun legislation, anymore would be irrational, unreasonable and driven by emotion. So please stop with your appeals to emotion and weak attempts at logic.

It is logical to think that a ban on automatic weapons would somewhat effect their use in crime. i mean its common sense. but how much it affected it is low. i guess you got me. the AWB wasn't some awesome illegal-gun-usage ass kicker. but it was a step in the right derection.

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 20:24:00

At 6/16/07 05:51 PM, TheMason wrote: They increase the profile of the weapon and decrease concealability...

And if someone's just out on a killing spree? Or decides to pull "beltway sniper with a C-Mag?"

Besides, detachable magazines (no matter what size) can be exchanged fast enough to compensate for the lower capacity.

Not when we're looking at someone with a semi auto and, say, a 30 round magazine. Compare that to a semi-auto with a 10 round magazine...or, as it would have been under the ban, a bolt action with a 5 round magazine.

Furthermore, high-capacity magazines may actually be better for shooting victims...

You've just adopted my point.

As fast as he was firing he could not take aim nor could he fire accurately

Spray and pray seemed to have worked in the Stockton tragedy. He killed 5 kids, wounded 29 others and a teacher...That's bad. And imagine if there'd been another gunman and the cops showed up? North Hollywood, anyone?

It is highly probable that if he used a more traditional hunting rifle or shotgun more kids would have been killed or seriously injured.

*sputter* How so?

1) It is perfectly acceptable as a hunting weapon.

.223 rounds, what I would think is the most common size for an AR-fired round, aren't good for making clean kills on game much larger than a coyote. After all, the .222 remington, from which the .223 was based on, was designed for so-called "varmint hunting."

2) They are not a danger in the hands of a regular citizen.

Regular citizen, perhaps not. Easy to steal from a legal owner? Yeah, probably. That's one of the problems. It's not that I don't want good people to have guns, I just don't want good people to have guns that could get stolen, for one.

A Ford Mustang in the hands of a regular citizen iis more of a danger to police and regular citizens than any firearm in the hands of a regular citizen.

It's also more cost prohibitive than a firearm, for one.

3) Yes it is important that they are not used in crimes.

They are, though. And they kill...How can you deny that?

In fact, it is the firearm I go deer hunting with.

7.62 Soviet? Probably more powerful than a .223, as far as I can tell...

If you want a 7.62 soviet, you can have one. It's the fact that it's fired from a semi-automatic weapon that I have a problem with.

The argument is that AR rounds are actually not designed or intended for killing...while hunting rounds are more powerful and by design & intent are made SOLELY for killing.

And a hunting round is fired from...?

*ding, ding, ding*

A hunting or battle rifle, not an AR. Come on, don't be naiive. It's pretty easy to get your hands on a semi auto rifle. Easier than a pistol, most likely. Take that and add in thousands of dollars and terror cells. The IRA bought .50 cals, so why couldn't al qaeda buy SKSs?

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-16 21:07:25

At 6/16/07 08:24 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote: or, as it would have been under the ban, a bolt action with a 5 round magazine.

Pre-ban clips were still legal during the ban. I should know, my father collected several of them for his .22 semi-auto pistol during the height of it all. :-D

Spray and pray seemed to have worked in the Stockton tragedy. He killed 5 kids, wounded 29 others and a teacher...That's bad.

Out of how many shots fired, though?

At Columbine, 187 rounds were fired total, and only 13 lives were taken, and 21 students injured. That rounds out to one bullet hitting someone for ever 5 and a half rounds fired, with only 1 death every 3rd or 4th round hitting it's target.

At the Virginia Tech Massacre, 168 rounds were fired, resulting in 33 deaths and 25 injuries. This rounds out to about 1 bullet hitting it's target for every 2 rounds fired, with only 1 death for every 2nd or so round hitting it's target.

Where I'm from, that's bad shootin'.

*sputter* How so?

Weapons designed specificially for hunting are designed to KILL, not wound.

After all, the .222 remington, from which the .223 was based on, was designed for so-called "varmint hunting."

You do realize you're arguing with someone who has first hand experience with firing said round at objects larger than what you're limited experience tells you, right?

I just don't want good people to have guns that could get stolen, for one.

Then why not subsidize 500 pound gunsafes for gun owners?

Someone here hasn't checked prices on privately owned used cars lately...

Take that and add in thousands of dollars and terror cells. The IRA bought .50 cals, so why couldn't al qaeda buy SKSs?

Appeal to Fear.

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-17 00:20:38

At 6/16/07 08:24 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote:
At 6/16/07 05:51 PM, TheMason wrote:
And if someone's just out on a killing spree? Or decides to pull "beltway sniper with a C-Mag?"

Not when we're looking at someone with a semi auto and, say, a 30 round magazine. Compare that to a semi-auto with a 10 round magazine...or, as it would have been under the ban, a bolt action with a 5 round magazine.
Spray and pray seemed to have worked in the Stockton tragedy. He killed 5 kids, wounded 29 others and a teacher...That's bad. And imagine if there'd been another gunman and the cops showed up? North Hollywood, anyone?

No. High-capacity magazines encourage spray and pray shooting...which highly ineffective and the sign of someone who does not know what they are doing. If say they had the limitations of a bolt action rifle they would have been forced to take more time with their shots and get a better aiming point. They would've been using a high power hunting round that would produce more kills and less wounded.

Now I know what you're thinking: police response. This could all be over in two-minutes even with a firearm with a bolt or lever action rifle and a 5 or 10 round mag. The result would be more dead people and a shooter who would've had more than enough time to kill himself.

Furthermore, high-capacity magazines may actually be better for shooting victims...
You've just adopted my point.

*sputter* How so? My point is that (as you saw above) that high-capacity magazines are safer than low-cap mags.

It is highly probable that if he used a more traditional hunting rifle or shotgun more kids would have been killed or seriously injured.
*sputter* How so?

Hunting rifles, hunting ammo and shotguns are more lethal than assault rifles...even those with high-capacity magazines. Also a nut with an AK-47 will be more likely to purchase military rounds which cause less damage than hunting rounds.

This combined with my statements above about taking more time between shots (and thus forcing him to aim) would have probably resulted in more deaths than what happened with the AK-47.

.223 rounds, what I would think is the most common size for an AR-fired round, aren't good for making clean kills on game much larger than a coyote. After all, the .222 remington, from which the .223 was based on, was designed for so-called "varmint hunting."

Actually I know several fellow hunters who use .223 for deer. At 100-200yds a .223 with the proper round (hunting projectile, not military/full metal jacket projectile) is effective. A common deer hunting combo is a Ruger Mini-14, scope & 5 round mag.

2) They are not a danger in the hands of a regular citizen.
Regular citizen, perhaps not. Easy to steal from a legal owner? Yeah, probably. That's one of the problems. It's not that I don't want good people to have guns, I just don't want good people to have guns that could get stolen, for one.

1) You will never be able to stop the bad people from getting whatever gun they want. Narcotics and Prohibition has taught us that.
2) Cops are only able to respond just in time to draw the chalk outline, so why take away the good guy's best chance.

While you do not significantly defeat this argument I give you props for being the first person to offer a logical counterpoint.

3) Yes it is important that they are not used in crimes.
They are, though. And they kill...How can you deny that?

They are not used in significant numbers to warrent special treatment or banning. This type of legislation does nothing real to reduce crime or address the roots of it.

In fact, it is the firearm I go deer hunting with.
7.62 Soviet? Probably more powerful than a .223, as far as I can tell...

If you want a 7.62 soviet, you can have one. It's the fact that it's fired from a semi-automatic weapon that I have a problem with.

Why? Have you ever shot these weapons? It seems like you know more than the average person I debate this topic with...yet you are still stuck on this superficial logic that these weapons are the menace when statistically they play an exceptionally insignificant role in crime.

The argument is that AR rounds are actually not designed or intended for killing...while hunting rounds are more powerful and by design & intent are made SOLELY for killing.
And a hunting round is fired from...?

*ding, ding, ding*

A hunting or battle rifle, not an AR. Come on, don't be naiive. It's pretty easy to get your hands on a semi auto rifle. Easier than a pistol, most likely. Take that and add in thousands of dollars and terror cells. The IRA bought .50 cals, so why couldn't al qaeda buy SKSs?

Okay here is where you blow it...

The gun does not have a little computer or mind of its own that goes: "This is a hunting round and I am an AR...I will not fire it." It does not work that way, the gun will fire a round based upon its calibur...not the projectile of the individual rounds. There are hunting rounds made in the various AR caliburs...therefore *ding, ding, ding* they shoot hunting rounds!

I have told you that I go hunting with an AK-47. SKSs & Mini-14s are also popular for deer hunting. And if someone can find a five round mag for it, a M-16 or any other 5.56/.223 rifle is suitable and legal for deer hunting.

However, this nothing to disprove my statement (because this is scientific fact, not a hypothetical) that hunting rounds are intended to maximize lethality while military rounds are intended to minimize suffering.

As for al-Qaida buying SKSs...they would:
1) Buy an AK instead.
2) Buy it in a foreign country (China, Pakistan & Venezuala immediately come to mind) and smuggle it in from Canada (most likely) or Mexico.

Non al-Qaida cells (such as the Fort Dix Six) are often amatuerish and look to buy them legally thereby drawing attention to themselves. If we still had the AWB this group could have actually been more successful in pulling off the attack because they would have gone through illegal means from the beginning...and would not have set off the alarm bells that led to their apprehension.

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-17 00:28:46

At 6/16/07 07:12 PM, Nitroglys wrote:
At 6/16/07 05:31 PM, TheMason wrote:
I have a confession. i got those statistics from an anti AWB site. there just was no pro AWB site with statistics. But the fact remains that there was a decline in assualt weapons used in crime. No one in their right mind would go out and by a gun over counter to commit a crime. so i guess what i am supporting is an increase in the federal budget to fight the flow of illegal guns to our streets. i just dont find machine guns practical so i supported the ban on them.

1) The AWB did not halt the sale of M-16 or AK-47 clones or Mini-14s. My AK-47 was made post-ban and was legal because it does not have a flash suppressor, bayonet lug or pistol grip. It does however accept high-capacity magazines and uses the same semi-auto action insides as a pre-ban AK-47.
2) Machine guns and assault rifles are not the same thing. Machine guns are fully-automatic, high powered rifles that often shoot "linked" ammo...which means they feed from an ammo can holding 1,000+ rounds of ammo. An assault rifle uses an intermediate round (less powerful than most rifle rounds, but more powerful than pistol rounds), and is full-auto.
3) As for you finding them practical...do you shoot? Hunt? Haver you ever? I'm not trying to be an ass...just trying to get a read on what you base your judgement on.

It is logical to think that a ban on automatic weapons would somewhat effect their use in crime. i mean its common sense. but how much it affected it is low. i guess you got me. the AWB wasn't some awesome illegal-gun-usage ass kicker. but it was a step in the right derection.

Common sense and conventional wisdom are usually wrong. The AWB failed because there were so many loopholes in it that in the end it did not ban anything...only made gun prices a little higher (and even then this was only temporary). If murder rates with ARs dropped during this time it was not due to this...but rather just how ineffective the weapons are when it comes to crime.

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 02:17:18

This bullshit, this will fuck up society. Like in a previous gun control post, I said about how the criminals will still be receiving guns and ammo from other sources while normal law abiding citizens are getting shot and being left defenceless with only the cops to protect them, if someone fucks up with guns, penalize them! Don't penalize every fucking person , not everyone is a gun carrying psychopath.

01000100011000010110111001100011011 01001011011100110011101010000011010 01011011100110010101100001011100000 11100000110110001100101010001110111 010101111001

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 14:03:59

At 6/17/07 12:28 AM, TheMason wrote:
1) The AWB did not halt the sale of M-16 or AK-47 clones or Mini-14s

Subtitle A of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (the AWB, which has since been negligently allowed to sunset), states, and I quote:

"The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means--

`(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--

`(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

`(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

`(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);

`(iv) Colt AR-15;

`(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

`(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

`(vii) Steyr AUG;

`(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and

`(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;"

and then there's the other stuff, the bayonet, threaded barrel etc...

It does however accept high-capacity magazines and uses the same semi-auto action insides as a pre-ban AK-47.

Then how was it legal? Any semiauto that took high cap magazines was made illegal unless grandfathered.

The AWB failed

Riiiiight.

"Between 1994 and 1995, the criminal use of assault weapons, as measured by law enforcement agency requests for BATF traces of guns associated with crimes, fell by 20 percent, compared to an 11 percent decrease for all guns."

"Our best estimate is that the ban contributed to a 6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders between 1994 and 1995, beyond what would have been expected in view of ongoing crime, demographic, and economic trends."

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/aw_final.pdf

Btw, the authors are from UPenn...

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 18:09:48

At 6/18/07 02:03 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote: Quoted the 1994 AWB

It does however accept high-capacity magazines and uses the same semi-auto action insides as a pre-ban AK-47.
Then how was it legal? Any semiauto that took high cap magazines was made illegal unless grandfathered.

That is all well and good, however you must remember that you're talking to someone who was 19 when the ban went into effect. Furthermore, I am an avid collector of military weapons. I attended gun shows and went to gun stores.

During the ban you could walk into a gun store and purchase an AR-15, MAK-90 (AK-47 clone) or UZI. In fact my MAK-90 was purchased as the ban was going into effect and my father purchased an UZI under the ban's loopholes. These guns were widely available, the only effect the AWB had on it was to make the guns (slightly) more expensive.

And yes while they came with 5-rd mags these were easily returned to their original high-cap state and you could buy pre-ban 30+ magazines through a wide variety of sources.

All legally...

The AWB failed
Riiiiight.

"Between 1994 and 1995, the criminal use of assault weapons, as measured by law enforcement agency requests for BATF traces of guns associated with crimes, fell by 20 percent, compared to an 11 percent decrease for all guns."

I have already addressed this issue and shown that this statistic is HIGHLY misleading. The trace happens while the "crime" is being investigated, further investigation may prove that a crime had not in fact been committed. These traces happen for many reasons such as someone buying a person-to-person gun and wanting to check it out. A person pawning a gun. A person reporting a gun stolen. A gun used in a self-defense shooting (ie-not a crime). A gun used poaching.

As for the drop that can be accounted for by the impact the AWB had on the sale of AR clones.

If this very weak statistic is the best they can come up with a period 10 years ago...it is proof that you are being misled.

"Our best estimate is that the ban contributed to a 6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders between 1994 and 1995, beyond what would have been expected in view of ongoing crime, demographic, and economic trends."

Again an estimate for a period 10 years ago when much better data than "how many traces where done" should be available points to an ideological driven study that offers weak facts for proof.

I say again: the AWB of 1994 was a total failure.

Btw, the authors are from UPenn...

BTW...I'm from the Grad dept at the U of MO-Columbia...

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 19:41:34

At 6/18/07 06:09 PM, TheMason wrote: Furthermore, I am an avid collector of military weapons.

But it was an illegal weapon, no?

These guns were widely available, the only effect the AWB had on it was to make the guns (slightly) more expensive.

The ban specifically mentioned the weapons you discussed and clones thereof, so how were they legal?

And yes while they came with 5-rd mags these were easily returned to their original high-cap state and you could buy pre-ban 30+ magazines through a wide variety of sources.

All legally...

Since when? During the ban, 30+ round mags were illegal......as were weapons that could accept them (except those which were grandfathered or otherwise exempt...exemptions that should have been ended through a guns for cash program)

I have already addressed this issue and shown that this statistic is HIGHLY misleading.

The point remains, there were less traces because there were less crimes and/or investigations.

it is proof that you are being misled.

With accurate figures that cross check? I think not.

Again an estimate for a period 10 years ago....

"6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders between 1994 and 1995 beyond [other factors.]

That's quite considerable...How many hundreds of lives were saved, again...?

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 21:13:12

At 6/18/07 07:41 PM, HighlyIllogical wrote: But it was an illegal weapon, no?

The ban specifically mentioned the weapons you discussed and clones thereof, so how were they legal?

Dude, the AWB had so many loopholes that THESE GUNS WERE LEGAL.
1) They were modified (pistol grips, bayonet lugs & flash suppressors removed) and renamed. Therefore, Norinco, Ruger and Colt attornies were able to bypass the AWB and put new guns on the market.

Since when? During the ban, 30+ round mags were illegal......as were weapons that could accept them (except those which were grandfathered or otherwise exempt...exemptions that should have been ended through a guns for cash program)

NEW high capacity magazines were illegal. HOWEVER, do you realize just how many surplus magazines are out there for the AK and M-16? Furthermore, they are not serially controlled...there was no way of tracking whether they were new or not. The only thing that the AWB did was increase the price of an AK-47 30rd mag from $6 to $10, 75rd from $50 to $75.

The fact is Clinton created a highly ineffectual law that did not do what it was meant to do, however it pacified his base and then that base went to sleep and stopped paying attention as guns such as UZI SMGs, AR-15s, Mini-14s, SKSs & MAK-90s were still legally sold.

As were high capacity magazines.

I have already addressed this issue and shown that this statistic is HIGHLY misleading.
The point remains, there were less traces because there were less crimes and/or investigations.

*bangs head on table* Simplistic logic! There is more than one explanation for why traces dropped, as I have now explained twice. Especially when 10yrs have gone by and there is more solid data sets such as FBI violent crime statistics that more solidly quantify what type of guns were used in crime.

Traces are not only accomplished in criminal investigations! These non-criminal traces would also decrease with any decrease in criminal investigations.

it is proof that you are being misled.
With accurate figures that cross check? I think not.

Then where is the cross-checking?

"6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders between 1994 and 1995 beyond [other factors.]

Ummm dude those figures do not cross check. That is total gun murders...you are using oranges to prove apples are good for you!

That's quite considerable...How many hundreds of lives were saved, again...?

Probably about 20...if that. However, there is no way to prove either way. Consider this:

Assault rifles are ineffective in crime...and all the AWB did was make getting ineffective weapons difficult. Now when a person who was unbalanced and had no clue what they were doing went out and purchased a handgun or shotgun which are much more effective in committing a crime. Therefore, in the VERY FEW cases that a person would have used an AR they used the correct tool for the job. Therefore, they were able to:
1) Defeat security measures (ie: handguns and sawed-off shotguns are more concealable).
2) Utilizied much more dangerous ammo such as shotgun shell or jacket hollowpoints.

In short, more people probably died because of the AWB because it forced incompetent criminals to use more effective tools. Therefore the murder rate could have dropped further because more criminals would have been detected before they could have killed their target...

BBS Signature

Response to New Gun Control Measure Passed 2007-06-18 23:31:10

At 6/13/07 09:44 PM, cellardoor6 wrote: But, the NRA is actually non-partisan, as TheMason says. It's just that Republicans (for the most part) and the NRA both have a pro-gun agenda that unites them and makes it appear to the uninformed that it belongs to one political party.

For once we agree.

If not non-partisan, the NRA is at least non-goofy.

More information on background checks, such as mental health, is not really a bad thing. This is the non-stupid type of gun control.

Dead.