00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Graffiti Thread

5,680 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:04:47

This thread houses all forms of graffiti - wether it be photos of your art out in the public, a rough sketch you've done on the computer or just a sketch on the back of your school folder.

This is a place to share ideas and gain knowledge.

-- I have only really just discovered the art (mainly small scale stenciling) through projects at school -- and I really want to learn more - if you do to, feel free to ask any questions (hopefully we can get some people in who actually know what they're talking about!).

I really hope that this thread works!
Good Luck

This is just a little sketch I did in flash as a homage to Bananen Sprayer.

Graffiti Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:09:13

Yay for stencils!

Graffiti Thread

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:11:45

At 9/19/06 07:09 PM, HeRetiK wrote: Yay for stencils!

Thats really cool!

When did you start doing stenciling? I have literally JUST started getting into this -- It's bloody excellent, It feels like making flash but better and cooler.

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:19:30

At 9/19/06 07:11 PM, GobHoblin wrote: Thats really cool!

When did you start doing stenciling? I have literally JUST started getting into this -- It's bloody excellent, It feels like making flash but better and cooler.

Thanks. Been interested in it for quite a while but I started just a few months ago.
Off the streets though. What I love about stencils is that you can take your time designing it on the computer, then putting it basically anywhere.

Still have to work on my technique though, the edges could be sharper. And one day I gotta make a multicolor one. ;)

Graffiti Thread

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:26:25

I made this on a website.

Graffiti Thread

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:28:48

At 9/19/06 07:19 PM, HeRetiK wrote:
Thanks. Been interested in it for quite a while but I started just a few months ago.
Off the streets though. What I love about stencils is that you can take your time designing it on the computer, then putting it basically anywhere.

I've pretty much always been interested in it too. Not necessarily the tagging of shop windows, but the really artistic stuff -- I spose its the same thing that attracted me to flash!
What do you use to make stencils? I've just been making them by hand.

I have no way of getting images onto this computer so unfortunately I can't post any here (other than my crappy flash sketches!)

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:30:35

At 9/19/06 07:26 PM, Para-Noid wrote: I made this on a website.

haha I think I've used that site before -- about a million years ago for an art project.

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:40:14

At 9/19/06 07:28 PM, GobHoblin wrote: What do you use to make stencils? I've just been making them by hand.
I have no way of getting images onto this computer so unfortunately I can't post any here (other than my crappy flash sketches!)

I first design the stencil in flash, than I print it out as an outline. For my first stencils I glued the paper with the outline on a cardboard, by now I realized though that sometimes the paper printout itself is sufficient (e.g. if you just spray it on a piece of paper). I still have to try things out though.

The first stencil I posted was a real picture which I set b/w and reduced the colors to 2 in Photoshop.

This site might become handy for you btw, in case you don't know it already :)
http://www.stencilrevolution.com/

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:45:28

At 9/19/06 07:40 PM, HeRetiK wrote:
I first design the stencil in flash, than I print it out as an outline. For my first stencils I glued the paper with the outline on a cardboard, by now I realized though that sometimes the paper printout itself is sufficient (e.g. if you just spray it on a piece of paper). I still have to try things out though.

The first stencil I posted was a real picture which I set b/w and reduced the colors to 2 in Photoshop.

This site might become handy for you btw, in case you don't know it already :)
http://www.stencilrevolution.com/

No I didn't know that site, I'll check it out now
-- Your second pic is pretty damn swanky (forgot to say in my last post, but I do really like it!)

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 19:57:02

haha I was just looking at this image, and I couldn't actually see the stencil. I was looking for about 30 seconds until I realised the man wasn't real!

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:01:53

At 9/19/06 07:57 PM, GobHoblin wrote: haha I was just looking at this image, and I couldn't actually see the stencil. I was looking for about 30 seconds until I realised the man wasn't real!

Tahts pure pwnage

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:03:51

At 9/19/06 07:57 PM, GobHoblin wrote: haha I was just looking at this image, and I couldn't actually see the stencil. I was looking for about 30 seconds until I realised the man wasn't real!

Haha... yeah, that's a great one.

Another aspect that I love about stencils... the way they can interact with the enviroment since they can be made almost foto-realistic.

http://www.banksy.co..mages/wall/pal01.jpg

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:07:10

At 9/19/06 08:03 PM, HeRetiK wrote:
http://www.banksy.co..mages/wall/pal01.jpg

haha I was actually looking at Banksys book today in photography! I fell in love with him!

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:21:14

At 9/19/06 08:07 PM, GobHoblin wrote: haha I was actually looking at Banksys book today in photography! I fell in love with him!

I also immediately fell in love with his work... I casually spotted stencils earlier, but Banksy's work got me really into it.

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:22:31

I like Graffiti too but be sure to understand there a thin line between Graffiti and Anti-Graffiti. Graffiti is actually an unpolished art form that lends itself to being more primative and to the magic of a paint can. Stenciling is not a form Graffiti but Anti-Graffiti.

Anti-Graffiti is well thought out and for the intention of being artistic. Murals created for walls is not a form of Graffiti. Graffiti ceases to be Graffiti when it becomes for the purpose of Art.

Its a sick thought but not everyone who does it really knows the difference.

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:27:10

At 9/19/06 08:22 PM, TonioMiguel wrote: I like Graffiti too but be sure to understand there a thin line between Graffiti and Anti-Graffiti. Graffiti is actually an unpolished art form that lends itself to being more primative and to the magic of a paint can. Stenciling is not a form Graffiti but Anti-Graffiti.

Anti-Graffiti is well thought out and for the intention of being artistic. Murals created for walls is not a form of Graffiti. Graffiti ceases to be Graffiti when it becomes for the purpose of Art.

Its a sick thought but not everyone who does it really knows the difference.

I disagree -- I think that if you consider graffiti a form of vandalism then you're right, but if you consider graffiti to BE an art form then it can be whatever you want it to be -- thats part of the beauty, its just so bloody versitile.

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:35:38

I think one has to divide between graffiti as an artform and graffiti in the meaning of tagging. The borders are rather blurry though, as there are many graffitis that can be seen as a piece of art, although they were mainly created as a tag.

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:44:08

Ahhh senior pranks with my friends. Good times, good times.

Graffiti Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 20:57:23

At 9/19/06 08:44 PM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: Ahhh senior pranks with my friends. Good times, good times.

hehe... this looks like good times indeed! :D

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-19 22:13:46

this is what the inside of my mind looks like

Graffiti Thread

Did you just put your balls on my sandwich?

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 05:08:23

At 9/19/06 10:13 PM, Lost-Thought wrote: this is what the inside of my mind looks like

amaaaazing! :-o

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 06:25:55

I did this when I was like 14, did it in paint so it's done poorly with sharp corners.

Graffiti Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 06:48:22

Let me know what you think, its my first lifesize!

Graffiti Thread

/

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 09:46:01

At 9/20/06 06:48 AM, Zef wrote: Let me know what you think, its my first lifesize!

Noice, did you stencil the body or what?

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 09:58:30

At 9/20/06 09:46 AM, JesseRay wrote:
At 9/20/06 06:48 AM, Zef wrote: Let me know what you think, its my first lifesize!
Noice, did you stencil the body or what?

Yeah i cut 3 stencils. one for the black one for white and one for the brown card. Huge stencils, in thick card cut with a good blade. Never got into free hand stuff, im better at stencils.

/

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 12:12:44

my tag is good i tink

Graffiti Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 16:33:36

Shirt design I whipped up out of boedom at 5am the other day...

Graffiti Thread

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 17:03:39

At 9/20/06 04:33 PM, morethanheroes wrote: Shirt design I whipped up out of boedom at 5am the other day...

That looks awesome. Make sure you show us the finished product!

BBS Signature

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 17:07:00

i really like banksy hes done some crazy shit

Response to Graffiti Thread 2006-09-20 18:41:15

At 9/20/06 05:03 PM, GobHoblin wrote:
At 9/20/06 04:33 PM, morethanheroes wrote: Shirt design I whipped up out of boedom at 5am the other day...
That looks awesome. Make sure you show us the finished product!

Thanks dude,

glad you dig it!

I might revamp it a bit before screening it... but I'll snap some shots either way.