00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MajidyMajidy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help The Audio Portal

1,261 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-23 15:18:35

Chungadaddy"HELP THE AUDIO PORTAL BY CLICKING HERE! the more we are saying similar things the better NG can work to improve.

"The audio problem now has a problem. It has lost its purpose. Even though newgrounds started as a flash related site it is now evident the users have amassed as audio artists and therefore are an active and ever-growing sector of newgrounds that should be used at its full potential, since the purpose of the audio portal is to actually support flash artists. Everybody wants to be a part of newgrounds.

I've seen multiple suggestions regarding ways to make the audio portal effective. Here's my small contribution:

Among good and usable sounds are also really bad and useless ones. This is of no use hence rendering the "useless" label to the audio portal. Therefore it is within the best interest of NG to save this wasted bandwidth and implement a trial system on the submission similar to the blam/save flash system so we can bring new functionality to the audio portal.

Since users among the audio portal have been growing a lot, the demand is high so I believe. Many have contacted me expressing dissatisfaction and others just stopped submitting.

NG has up to now relinquished the audio portal to a very secondary place but it is my believe that now it is not justifiable. This has ceased to be only a place for people to just leave audio samples so others can use. It is now a place for users to express their creativity through music.

If a blam/save system would be implemented it would be of great help to all: NG; flash artists, audio artists; other users.

I suggest that this system shouldn't be related with experience (i.e, the ones with more experience should have more voting power). We should remember that the music in this portal has a support purpose. If users just start blaming because of personal taste or so their own songs may not meet a rival, the purpose is lost!
The main driving force for people to vote is to establish themselves in the NG community with the level growing through experience. However people are having a hard time to find a consensus in how this could be done: should voting on a song have the same impact as voting a flash clip? should the experience deposit be after voting on 5 entries, being those either flash or music? or should it be mandatory to vote for flash and music? This should be discussed. I also propose as a suggestion the creation of a different experience meter for audio and flash: people voting for audio will gain audio exp. points as for people voting for flash will gain flash exp. points, both deposited after 5 entries.

Thank u for your time.

Sincerely

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-23 15:21:02

Been there, protested about that, nothing changed.

They're in process of upgrading the whole site, many new features, including a point system, will probably be introduced.

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-23 15:27:41

Whoa... that was fast! Lets hope for the best than. Even so it's never a bad idea to repeat the same to exhaustion until they hear! Leave them a note... now we're two ;)

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-23 16:39:59

i reakon they should give 5 exp for voting on flash movies and 5 for voting on audio no harm done

BBS Signature

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-23 17:37:55

At 2/23/06 04:39 PM, TJA wrote: i reakon they should give 5 exp for voting on flash movies and 5 for voting on audio no harm done

I think that it is a very valid sugestion. I don't see any harm what so ever also.

Do you think that other users might see any problem with that for instance? Do you think that alowing that might be against the grounds by which NG stands or the very reason that NG was created?

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-27 11:06:39

The audio portal is only to help Flash Creators with music.

This signature will actually not appear at the bottom of this post.

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-27 12:39:20

At 2/27/06 11:06 AM, Wallaz wrote: The audio portal is only to help Flash Creators with music.

Thats the official reason, but really its a lot more than that.

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-27 17:26:51

At 2/23/06 05:37 PM, Chungadaddy wrote: Do you think that other users might see any problem with that for instance? Do you think that alowing that might be against the grounds by which NG stands or the very reason that NG was created?

Well...NG has been said to have been made for flash users to submit their animations so people around the world can view them etc. etc. but the audio portal was only put there for the flash users to get royalty free music but due to the shun of NG users to the audio portal the flash movies on NG in a rough guess has about 2% of the total movies with ONLY audio portal music. Why? Maybe they wanted to make a music video for their fav. band or whatever or maybe the AP didnt have the right style in a way that i think is acceptable but when it comes to people working hard to give these people music of all different styles and for it to be shuned is terrible for those people and also the AP and become a place where if your at the top you stay at the top and people just submit crap because they know it will get through i think maybe all of it should be "purged" or deleted and peopel can resubmit with a blam/protect in order to stop this waste of bandwidth and instead of a Top 5 and 2 on the front page maybe there shouldnt be awards at all since this is a flash based site but maybe an award for having music used in a flash that did get an award or something...well im just blabbing and no one will read this because this is the audio forum and its 2 active members at a time...just think about it though...

BBS Signature

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-27 18:55:14

That would give me ENDLESS problems should the AP be purged... I would have to spend about five hours finding where I put my various songs.

I really should have consolidated them.

I should now.

Too lazy though.

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-02-27 19:01:24

At 2/27/06 12:39 PM, Khuskan wrote:
At 2/27/06 11:06 AM, Wallaz wrote: The audio portal is only to help Flash Creators with music.

Yeah...lots of good aspiring artists are moving into the AP with a little more ambition than to write a loop.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-03-01 12:15:06

At 2/27/06 05:26 PM, TJA wrote:
At 2/23/06 05:37 PM, Chungadaddy wrote: Do you think that other users might see any problem with that for instance? Do you think that alowing that might be against the grounds by which NG stands or the very reason that NG was created?
Well...NG has been said to have been made for flash users to submit their animations so people around the world can view them etc. etc. but the audio portal was only put there for the flash users to get royalty free music but due to the shun of NG users to the audio portal the flash movies on NG in a rough guess has about 2% of the total movies with ONLY audio portal music. Why? Maybe they wanted to make a music video for their fav. band or whatever or maybe the AP didnt have the right style in a way that i think is acceptable but when it comes to people working hard to give these people music of all different styles and for it to be shuned is terrible for those people and also the AP and become a place where if your at the top you stay at the top and people just submit crap because they know it will get through i think maybe all of it should be "purged" or deleted and peopel can resubmit with a blam/protect in order to stop this waste of bandwidth and instead of a Top 5 and 2 on the front page maybe there shouldnt be awards at all since this is a flash based site but maybe an award for having music used in a flash that did get an award or something...well im just blabbing and no one will read this because this is the audio forum and its 2 active members at a time...just think about it though...

The Portal purjing would be a real problem though I actually would like to see that done but it is nice to see that there's a group of people that feel the same way. All sugestions continue valid, even if people tend to think that one portal is more important than the other BUT for what I've seen, almost everyone agrees that this present situation needs to be rectified. The Audio Portal has really changed!

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-03-01 12:18:52

At 2/27/06 07:01 PM, -ZENON- wrote:
At 2/27/06 12:39 PM, Khuskan wrote:
Yeah...lots of good aspiring artists are moving into the AP with a little more ambition than to write a loop.

You are right. There seems to be good emerging artists that really put some effort into it, that loop some of their long songs so they can also serve the flash artists but that, nonetheless, want to know if their music is worth something, that want to show what they are made of. I no any other way of changing this than to suggest on the NG BBS - Ideas for NG Evolution Mk2 . Does anyone have different suggestions?

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-03-01 16:20:52

At 2/27/06 07:01 PM, -ZENON- wrote: Yeah...lots of good aspiring artists are moving into the AP with a little more ambition than to write a loop.

Psshhh... loops... can't stand 'em

If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*

Well, I'm glad to see that there are interested people - Sure the system could be revamped but then, I've grown kind of fond of the flaws...

There are always at least two sides though - You think that pickexers are bad now? imagine what would happen if suddenly, you were also required to vote on audio to get all of your xp... First the FP - Blam - blam... blam.blam......blam
- then over to the AP - blam..pow...blam...blam..kafuckingBLAM ... then deposit your ten points... Now imagine thousands doing that... Could get pretty rough...

BBS Signature

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-03-01 17:32:55

At 3/1/06 04:20 PM, LJCoffee wrote: Could get pretty rough...

Maybe, but, if voting was made like that, they would probably adertise the AP more, because, why the hell would they put that much work into something that wouldnt get used?
Submissions that are too shitty would be destroyed (i.e. HAPPY SUCK A WALRUS DAY) and it would be overall a better place, with more exposure for the people that deserve it.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Help The Audio Portal 2006-03-01 18:57:13

At 3/1/06 04:20 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 2/27/06 07:01 PM, -ZENON- wrote: Yeah...lots of good aspiring artists are moving into the AP with a little more ambition than to write a loop.
Psshhh... loops... can't stand 'em

If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*If loops were posts, they would look like thi.*

Well, I'm glad to see that there are interested people - Sure the system could be revamped but then, I've grown kind of fond of the flaws...

There are always at least two sides though - You think that pickexers are bad now? imagine what would happen if suddenly, you were also required to vote on audio to get all of your xp... First the FP - Blam - blam... blam.blam......blam
- then over to the AP - blam..pow...blam...blam..kafuckingBLAM ... then deposit your ten points... Now imagine thousands doing that... Could get pretty rough...

I don't think that the suggestion was doing that way... Some people suggest that voting on an audio file or a flash file would have exactly the same weight... others suggest perhaps two experience metters (one for flash, one for audio)... what ever is the suggestion one thing is consensual: there should be a blam/protect system at least!
Regarding blamers... good submitions still pass on newgrounds. Lets hope there are more people part of the solution than the problem!