00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Aboylan97 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

So, I want to be a screenwriter.

1,417 Views | 12 Replies

So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-17 15:22:09

Yeah, it's been a while since I've dropped into General, but I figured that just to let you guys know that I'm still alive -- for all the people who have been here long enough to remember me, that is -- I might as well pop in and talk about a topic that's near and dear to me. And since I've always had a bit of a thing for movies, screenwriting's right up there.

Sure, it's an unconventional occupation, but for me, it's like a passion, you know? I've been watching all the movies I can, picking out certain techniques outlined in Robert McKee's book, Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting, and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface. It's cool though, I now watch movies on a much deeper level than I did before and not only that, but after you really get a feel for certain screenwriters' work, you can actually see all the different layers to a movie. Like, you can tell what they wrote first and added in later. It's pretty interesting. But most importantly, I've discovered a new appreciation for the art. After doing all the research on this facet of the film industry, I can now differentiate between badly-written movies and badly-directed movies, like Secret Window and -- some may disagree -- the Lord of the Rings movies, respectively. However, it doesn't make any sense to do all this research and not do any writing, right? Well, that's why I've given it a shot.

For the past four months, I've actually been carrying around a beaten-up, black, 300-page Hilroy notebook everywhere. I write in it from time to time, whenever inspiration strikes, but as of late, it's nice to see that an actual story has been developing. I started off without any real plot in mind, writing out some of the dialogue, but really just creating a general outline for the story, seeing what will work and what won't. Either way, the story seems somewhat hackneyed at the moment -- I've seen enough movies to know, believe me -- but here's the main idea. The protagonists are two teenage boys, who are both good friends, I might add, who both have an unspoken attraction towards a third female character (one leaning more towards love over lust and vice versa), but it just so happens that both of them have subconscious desires for the girl too, as the one "in love" with her is in denial of his own lust for her and the one who seems to only want to have sex with her won't admit his true feelings. Either way, both boys' worlds are completely shattered at the inciting incident as they discover that the girl has been raped by her abusive father. Then, drawing on nothing more than their mutual feelings towards the girl, both act to protect her, attempting to spirit her away without her father knowing. But naturally, if they're successful, there wouldn't be much of a story, would there?

It's a basic plot structure so far, one central plot (the boys trying to get the girl away from her father), dominated with various subplots (each boy's slow realization of their true feelings for the girl, the conflicts that arise between the two friends when they find out about each other's true intentions, the girl finally making her decision between the two, etc.), but I'm really liking it. I'm making it more and more complex by the day. Already, I've started creating an image system based off the objects in Catcher In The Rye -- both stories have similar themes, you see -- and I'm almost ready to begin work on the second draft. Sure, it's a lot of work, but right now, it's a labor of love for me.

But enough about that. I sincerely doubt it, but is there anyone else here who might be thinking of getting into screenwriting? If so, I'd like to think that I know enough about the subject to be a great help. Anyone seriously looking into it should at least pick up this book though.

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-17 15:30:15

yeah...so NOW you tell us what the fuck it is about...or maybe i just never payed attention when you did tell us.

out of curiosity where does this take place? because you can put twists to it from where its from. the deep south US is steeped in some bad things like that. in newengland it could be about a rich family. in an inner city it could be a poor family. in the country it could just be some stupid redneck family.

a european family maybe?

what about her mother, whats the deal with her?

or maybe you just dont want to tell us all that quite yet?

you should seriously get that working and send it into a film festival or something.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-18 05:25:43

YAY! Ben reveals the juicy details!!!

Sounds interesting so far... but yeh as Mal mentioned, what about the mother? She Dead, split up, insane, uknown about teh Rapage?

Sounds good. I look foreward in hearing more.

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-18 06:08:25

At 7/17/04 03:22 PM, biteme2514 wrote: After doing all the research on this facet of the film industry, I can now differentiate between badly-written movies and badly-directed movies, like Secret Window and -- some may disagree -- the Lord of the Rings movies, respectively. However, it doesn't make any sense to do all this research and not do any writing, right?

No, I think it's good to do research before you commit to something. Then you know what you're up against.

My question to you is this: How do you protect your own intellectual property?
Aren't you afraid of someone stealing your work?

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-18 06:51:15

At 7/17/04 03:22 PM, biteme2514 wrote: I'm still alive

HURRUH!

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-18 14:27:01

At 7/17/04 03:30 PM, MALforPresident wrote: out of curiosity where does this take place? because you can put twists to it from where its from.
what about her mother, whats the deal with her?
you should seriously get that working and send it into a film festival or something.

Hell, I was originally going to set the story in Toronto, in one of the poorer neighborhoods, but you know the rule about independent films: Keep the budget as small as possible. I'm actually planning on making one out of this at some point, and something tells me that getting everyone over to Toronto might be a little difficult, not to mention expensive. So, I'll just do what Kevin Smith did with Clerks. Keep it close to home. Not only was it cheap -- he made the entire movie on a budget of only $24,000 -- but he also put New Jersey on the map for filmgoers everywhere. I know I was excited to be in the area. You know, when I was there just two weeks ago. Either way, the current setting is your typical middle-class neighborhood, but like I said, I'm really only working on the outline right now. The setting could change with time. That's the beauty of a story. The writer can always go back and tweak it until he's satisfied with it.

About the mother character though, she's actually one of the catalysts of the story. I don't want to reveal too many details yet but right now, I'm trying to write her up so she has a more significant role in the screenplay. Let's just leave it at, she wants to help, but is too scared to. I'll let you know when I've developed her character a little more. Regarding the film festival comment though, that's kind of the idea. Next year, I'm taking a Video Arts course in school so I'll be able to learn a little something about camera direction. I already know quite a bit about cinematography though. For instance, did you know that our brains take in images the same way we read; from left to right? Thus, a face lighted from the left side gives the person a much softer, soothing appearance. A face lighted from the right produces a slight discordance, producing the opposite effect. A face lighted from above creates an ominous appearance -- they used it on Marlon Brando in the opening scenes of The Godfather -- and a face lighted from below creates unnatural shadows, resulting in a creepy look, which is why they use it so often in horror movies. I know more, but that's just a snippet of interesting (albeit useless) movie knowledge for you. But yeah, I'm planning on learning more about movies and eventually, I'll take a year off to try and turn this into an independent film. I'm not the only one working on a screenplay either. I have a friend of mine named Anita who's currently working on an Empire Records meets The Breakfast Club screenplay about three kids who work at a video store. Might decide to do that one too. Oh well, guess you'll just have to wait and see. Even I don't know what's going to happen right now.

At 7/18/04 06:08 AM, Shrapnel wrote: No, I think it's good to do research before you commit to something. Then you know what you're up against.
My question to you is this: How do you protect your own intellectual property?
Aren't you afraid of someone stealing your work?

Too bad most of my research isn't telling me what I like to hear though. I mean, I'm learning a hell of a lot about all the technical stuff, like story structure, act design, image systems, lighting -- hell, I even know what a gaffer does -- but I'm finding out about more and more things that are really starting to discourage me. Take, for example, the two guys who wrote 1984's Splash. They had to share writing credit with some guy who claimed to have come up with the story first, even though not a single word that guy wrote made it into the final script. The sad truth is, in Hollywood, you can write 90% of a script and not get credit and an A-list rewriter can write only 10% and get full credit. So, screw Hollywood. I'm going independent film. Still though, that continues to bug me. What if some Hollywood crackpot claims to have come up with the idea first? I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do. To try and cover my bases though, I'll be sure to get some advice from a few people who know what they're talking about. Right now though, I'm not too freaked out about losing the script to someone else, but thanks for warning me about that. I wonder how much it costs to get myself a copyright.

Oh, and thanks to MickFoliac, SKS and Lysdexic for their support. I'm serious about this, guys. If this ever does get made, I'll slip something into the credits about you all. Now, to go out and get some lunch. When I'm done with that, I'm back off to Blenz to do some more writing. Need to develop all those damn characters.

(Yep, I do the majority of my writing right here. They know me by name there, you know.)

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-19 07:11:21

sounds cool Ben, hope you gonna release it over here too. Interesting to see what happens with the mum aspect.

don't want to steal your thunder or anything but i forgot to post it in the movie viewers but i finished my book, all 145 pages of it. so far, now i have to type it up and add my research in and find someone who will publish it for me. so i'll be sticking you in thanks.

anywho good luck mate, keep thinking and in the end it'll come together like mine did.

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-19 08:58:51

I was going to do the movie making thing. Blew $500 on a camera too, thanks for reminding me. As for screenplays, i got a couple ideas that i've developed into abstracts, but actually writing dialog is hard for me, making it sound natural and such. I'm considering just having most of it ad-libbed, giving the actors a general idea of whats going on, and a few choice lines they should say.

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-21 14:08:53

Been waiting for this post for a while, buddy.....

Only advice I can give is that its a safer career move when you start with a simpler, less artsy movie just to get recognized, then make the artsy pic to get more praise from the critics after you already have some recognition from movie go-ers..... just some points I pick up from watching other's careers unfold.....

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-21 14:11:10

you should make your post smaller

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-21 14:17:20

At 7/21/04 02:11 PM, skullmaster wrote: you should make your post smaller

you should learn to read.

Hey, that seems like a pretty interesting story. A nice little drama independent film thing. It's nice to see an independent film maker who doesn't think that black and white is artistic. If you're doing it in black and white, no offense, the plot still sounds intriguing. Some parts of it sound a little unoriginal but overall it seems like a pretty well thought out and original idea. Good luck with your movie, maybe when you finish we could see it...

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-21 14:19:01

At 7/21/04 02:11 PM, skullmaster wrote: you should make your post smaller

STFU, n00b.

How's that?

Response to So, I want to be a screenwriter. 2004-07-22 03:32:32

At 7/19/04 08:58 AM, InAFix wrote: I was going to do the movie making thing. Blew $500 on a camera too, thanks for reminding me. As for screenplays, i got a couple ideas that i've developed into abstracts, but actually writing dialog is hard for me, making it sound natural and such. I'm considering just having most of it ad-libbed, giving the actors a general idea of whats going on, and a few choice lines they should say.

Yeah, I hear that's what Christopher Guest did with 2000's Best In Show and 2003's A Mighty Wind. The thing is, if I found the right people, I would be able to do that. See, in my first three years of high school, me and a few of the friends that I have now were all stuck in the same Drama class, not to mention the same Music class and the same French class and on and on and on. We were a pretty tight group, all of us, and we all had a really bad habit of not really getting anything done in Drama class, as our teacher would often just give us a topic and leave us unsupervised for weeks at a time while we struggled to come up with a short skit or something that had something to do with the topic he gave us. Either way, what would happen was this. Every time he did this, we would always spend the first two or three classes brainstorming ideas, then we would all kind of give up, one by one, and we'd spend the next two weeks or so just sitting around and doing whatever. When the guy finally came back to see what he had accomplished -- he always gave us around two days notice -- we'd all try and whip something up at the very last minute. And as a result, all of us have become extremely adept at the art of improvisation. Roughly 75% of the time I spent in that class was spent doing nothing but I still managed to pass with a high B. God, I miss those days. I actually have to do work now.

About writing dialogue though, it's weird that you would have trouble with that, especially when it seems to be the only part of the screenplay writing process that seems to come naturally to me. I guess it's because the two protagonists of the story come from my age group, but writing their dialogue is really the only part that just flows, you know? I mean, with the other screenplay that me and my friend, Anita, are thinking of starting up -- the one about the people who work in a video store -- I can see the two of us just going on for hours with that stuff. In fact, most of that screenplay will be dialogue. After all, how many times can you describe the insides of a video store? I wouldn't worry too much about making things sound natural though. Hollywood has some of the worst writers in the world -- cough, David Koepp, cough -- and look at them! Besides, independent films are almost always well-received by a select group of pseudo-intellectual critics. As long as you can make it without going through Hollywood, you'll get at least some critical acclaim. Still, don't waste the camera though. I say, give it a shot. What do you have to lose?

At 7/21/04 02:08 PM, killtony999 wrote: Only advice I can give is that its a safer career move when you start with a simpler, less artsy movie just to get recognized, then make the artsy pic to get more praise from the critics after you already have some recognition from movie go-ers..... just some points I pick up from watching other's careers unfold.....

Pump out something that you know will sell, then start experimenting once you reach the top, right? I totally understand where you're coming from. And that's why I'm kind of debating whether or not I should put the screenplay I'm working on now on a sort of hiatus while I really start going at it on the video store one with Anita. The video store one's just going to be all-out comedy, you know? I'm sure that one would do quite well if we ever got around to writing the damn thing. Still, I can't see myself writing something like Road Trip, just to get myself out there. If I make anything, it's got to be with my own style and that's what matters most. Not to be foolishly optimistic, but what if I make a bunch of films one day and have everyone look back at my career and go, "Well, they're all great, but what's with the first one he did? Jesus, what the hell was he smoking that night? It's crap!", huh? I never want that to happen. I mean, aside from what Scarlett Johansson did when she was still a child actress -- you just can't blame someone for the movie choices they made when they were still, like, prepubescent -- she had a great thing going with Lost In Translation and Girl With A Pearl Earring until The Perfect Score came out. I love her to death as an actress but you have to admit, The Perfect Score is far from a great movie. Either way, all this movie-making stuff is still far off in the future, but thanks for the advice nonetheless. If you want, if I ever make it big, I can put in a good word for you. All you need to do is get in line.

So yeah, thanks to redpoet, Tanner and Tracy for actually caring. Especially Tracy. Tracy, we're like, what, each other's number one fans? I wouldn't have it any other way. So once again, thanks to all. Sorry for bumping the thread again so late, but as you mods can probably tell, I haven't been spending much time on the BBS lately. I'm only on, like, once or twice a day now. Oh, and before I forget, grow up, skullmaster. You whiny goth kid, you. To everyone else, until next time.