Credits & Info
- File Info
- 10.3 MB
- 4 min 29 sec
- 4.41 / 5.00
- You must give credit to the artist.
- You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.
- Share Alike:
- If you alter, transform, or build upon this image, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.
- Rated 4.41 / 5 stars
- Plays & Downloads:
- 4,085 Plays | 231 Downloads
- Share Links:
- Hip Hop, Rap, R&B - Hip Hop - Olskool
- Rhodes Less Traveled. -
This is my "The shoulders of Giants" entry for NGHHC'11. It was inspired by Portishead, one of my favorite groups of all time. With my entry I tried something very different than what I normally do. Since the other battle I entered was a sample battle, I decided that I would go a different route with this one and NOT use any samples (excluding vst samplers like sample tank and soundfonts), just VST's and my midi keyboard.
I ended up using a rhodes organ for the base melody and just built it up. The rhodes organ was inspired by the song "Roads" by Portishead (just look it up in youtube if you haven't heard it!)
The overall tempo is another attribute that I wanted to capture. Portishead does have a few higher tempo tracks, but i just love the slow sexy nature of a track at about 65 bpm.
The idea to use a wah effect, flanger, and strings, also came from the song "Roads"
I threw in some scratches (Which I am terrible at...) because they use scratches pretty frequently.
I love portishead, so this is my flavor on their style.